New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 98657)

5 ball vs 3 ball for a newbie?

By GreyhoundAggie

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by btw75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Is it better to start learning pinball on 5 ball mode than 3 ball in y'alls opinion?

Just wondering.

#2 6 years ago

Unless it is an EM, I would leave it on 3 ball. I see you own a High Speed. That's definitely a 3 ball game in my eyes.

#3 6 years ago

3 ball is the way to go. 5 ball is for the kiddies, family and friends that don't know how to play.

#4 6 years ago

Real men have 3 balls.

#5 6 years ago

If you want to learn all there is to do in a game put it on 10 balls, extra easy settings and turn on extra balls. But that won't make you a better player though. You will have a false sense of accomplishment if you ever decide you want to play in a tournament. I can't think of any standard tournament that sets their games to 5 balls (unless it's an EM). So 3 balls is my answer.

#6 6 years ago

It really surprises we how many games I have bought from pinball guys and it is set on five balls. The first thing I do is put it back on three. Keeping the game challenging is a big part in pin. With 5 balls I feel you will get bored of the game quickly.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from achtungboyy:

It really surprises we how many games I have bought from pinball guys and it is set on five balls.

It really surprises me how many games I have bought from people that never even bothered to install the tilt bob.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It really surprises me how many games I have bought from people that never even bothered to install the tilt bob.

I think I have only bought one game that had it installed

#9 6 years ago

Yep, anything not an EM is meant for 3 ball in my eyes. To me, 5 ball is no challenge at all. I don't like hitting wizard mode every time I turn a game on

#10 6 years ago

Showing my bias, I like 5 ball in general (especially on any EM). 5 ball had been standard for many many years, and growing up that is what most of the machines were set to that I had the pleasure of playing...of course, as pins evolved (and SS came into the picture) the 3 ball became more popular. 3 ball play will certainly sharpen your skills because there is less room for error.

#11 6 years ago

Black Knight 2000 shipped from the factory with settings $0.50/game 5 balls/game. That didn't go over so well so the next game went back to 3 balls/game but $0.50/1 play, $0.75/2 plays, $1/3 plays.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from GreyhoundAggie:

Is it better to start learning pinball on 5 ball mode than 3 ball in y'alls opinion?
    Just wondering.

When you just aren't very good, I say go 5 ball. You'll actually have a chance to see what the game can do every now and then, so it will be more enjoyable for both you, your family and friends.

If you develop your skillset much you'll likely get bored quickly with a pin on a 5 ball setting, so switch it at that time. Your pin, your rules. Do whatever makes you enjoy pinball the most.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

If your playing it in your home, why do you need it?

I never installed it in my ST.

However, I don't really care much for playing in tournies. If that was your deal, I can understand setting up your pins to more closely replicate that scenario for better practice sessions.

But I guess it comes down to is the machine really going to get damaged from shaking it?

There's a WH20 I play on location regularly that doesn't have the tilt bob installed. That machine looks and plays great, and half the fun of playing it is shaking the piss out of it. Now the wood flooring under it, that takes a beating.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Because most people would see it as an unfair advantage to yourself. These things happen all the time though, someone can close the outlanes on their machine, there's nothing technically wrong with it becasue it was made to do that, but it's a weak sauce move.

#15 6 years ago

I used to play 5 balls but have switched completely to 3 balls.

This way if I do happen to have an incredible great game like 1 out of 100 times I may get to accomplish something.

I mean on POTC if I set it to 10 balls eventually I'd get to the end but it would be a hollow accomplishment. With 3 balls it's possible or it seems like the end is achievable.

#16 6 years ago

My rule - If the flippers are 2" then 5 ball, else 3 ball.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I never installed it in my ST.

However, I don't really care much for playing in tournies. If that was your deal, I can understand setting up your pins to more closely replicate that scenario for better practice sessions.

But I guess it comes down to is the machine really going to get damaged from shaking it?

There's a WH20 I play on location regularly that doesn't have the tilt bob installed. That machine looks and plays great, and half the fun of playing it is shaking the piss out of it. Now the wood flooring under it, that takes a beating.

Nudging the game without tilting is a skill. If you can shake the game as hard as you want without any ramifications, it takes away much of the fun and challenge.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

Black Knight 2000 shipped from the factory with settings $0.50/game 5 balls/game. That didn't go over so well so the next game went back to 3 balls/game but $0.50/1 play, $0.75/2 plays, $1/3 plays.

I wonder if that is because of how the game is designed to play very, very fast.

#19 6 years ago

When a game is new to me, I set it on 5 balls. It gives me the chance to figure the game out, see what is achievable, and make sure there is absolutely no issues. After some time, it moves back to 3 balls.

My last two I purchased, FH and Airborne, have been set on 5 balls for a while. FH is being moved back down to 3 balls this weekend. Airborne is just too brutal to move back to 3 balls just yet.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

My rule - If the flippers are 2" then 5 ball, else 3 ball.

I'm going to agree... for the most part. However there are a bunch of AAB games that have standard flippers, but are impossible on 3 balls, like Pro Pool. In fact most wedge heads are really appropriate for 5 ball no matter the flipper size. And of course, there are a lot of EMs that are MUCH better on 3 ball. So I think it is a case by case basis.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I'm going to agree... for the most part. However there are a bunch of AAB games that have standard flippers, but are impossible on 3 balls, like Pro Pool. In fact most wedge heads are really appropriate for 5 ball no matter the flipper size. And of course, there are a lot of EMs that are MUCH better on 3 ball. So I think it is a case by case basis.

Fair enough - I should also note that my AAB experience is very minimal. Most of the later EMs I've seen have rule changes depending on 3 & 5 ball to make it possible either way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 6.00
    Rubber/Silicone
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 218.00
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 22.50
    $ 29.50
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Stuff
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside