Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bmad21
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Can wraps (resized).PNG
    crop (resized).png
    B24D7362-D4E6-4F24-9832-3E05D3663001 (resized).jpeg
    41AC9453-C0E1-462B-BE2D-BB7AB68F8453 (resized).jpeg
    783E7DC7-08E9-42BC-BEFC-4E2945922370 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20210113_113119 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113104 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113036 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113047 (resized).jpg
    20210113_112959 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113119 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113126 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113132 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113207 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113227 (resized).jpg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Would it be crazy that one of the top reasons I want to move from Houston is the terrible pinball scene compared to other cities in the United States? lol

When Einsteins Pub is the only place to go and have food and drink and play pinball???

#2 3 years ago

Eighty-Two just opened there and the one in LA has an excellent pinball selection. Here's Houston's list:
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.16.04 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.16.04 AM (resized).png

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Would it be crazy that one of the top reasons I want to move from Houston is the terrible pinball scene compared to other cities in the United States? lol
    When Einsteins Pub is the only place to go and have food and drink and play pinball???

In 2012 my wife and I moved from Boston to Nashua, NH largely to be a town over from The Pinball Wizard Arcade, which had about 120 pins. So by my standards, you're not crazy at all.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Eighty-Two just opened there and the one in LA has an excellent pinball selection.

Thanks for the tip on Eighty-Two...

#5 3 years ago

My how times have changed.....

Brooklyn 1973 (resized).PNGBrooklyn 1973 (resized).PNG
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

There is a vibrant pinball community in Houston. Covid has played into severely limiting public tournaments and so-forth. There are locations that allow BYOB and outside food to be freely brought in, as long as you just pay your normal entry fee.

Are there better / more numerous locations in other metro areas? Certainly. However, it is inaccurate to say Houston only has one location for pinball/ food/ beer. Just starting with Einstein's, they have places in both Katy and Richmond. The Game Preserve has locations in The Woodlands and Webster. There are other isolated pockets of machines throughout the city.

Space City Pinball League is a great group of players. Before CV-19, home tournaments were common. Tournaments were held monthly and weekly at some of the locations listed above. We regularly had the most regular events in Texas. I moved from Houston in APR of 2019, I miss the people of SCPL all of the time. I would argue the range of ages/ backgrounds/ diversity of members/ competition in Space City can hang with anyone.

There are nicer venues around the country, for sure. Almost everybody has been negatively impacted by Cv-19 across tournament play. I feel from your limited info in the OP, you might have only scratched the surface on what is available in H-town. There are definitely more than just one option.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from JNX:

There is a vibrant pinball community in Houston. Covid has played into severely limiting public tournaments and so-forth. There are locations that allow BYOB and outside food to be freely brought in, as long as you just pay your normal entry fee.
    Are there better / more numerous locations in other metro areas? Certainly. However, it is inaccurate to say Houston only has one location for pinball/ food/ beer. Just starting with Einstein's, they have places in both Katy and Richmond. The Game Preserve has locations in The Woodlands and Webster. There are other isolated pockets of machines throughout the city.
    Space City Pinball League is a great group of players. Before CV-19, home tournaments were common. Tournaments were held monthly and weekly at some of the locations listed above. We regularly had the most regular events in Texas. I moved from Houston in APR of 2019, I miss the people of SCPL all of the time. I would argue the range of ages/ backgrounds/ diversity of members/ competition in Space City can hang with anyone.
    There are nicer venues around the country, for sure. Almost everybody has been negatively impacted by Cv-19 across tournament play. I feel from your limited info in the OP, you might have only scratched the surface on what is available in H-town. There are definitely more than just one option.

I have been going to Game preserve for years, but it isn't a bar environment..The games are in ok shape... They have not changed much in years... Austin and Dallas have a much better scene... JMO...

#8 3 years ago

#1, no you are not crazy. We all are.

Out of curiosity I grabbed the top 10 populated cities in the US, punched them into www.pinballmap.com and noted # of locations and # of machines for each.

While there are certainly other hot spots for pinball (i.e. Seattle), Houston stacks up pretty well with the rest of the top 10 populated citites. No city #5-#10 in population has more games than Houston.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 135621 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-01-13 135621 (resized).png
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

[quoted image]

welcome back Mr kotter . oh oh oh !

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

#1, no you are not crazy. We all are.
    Out of curiosity I grabbed the top 10 populated cities in the US, punched them into www.pinballmap.com and noted # of locations and # of machines for each.
    While there are certainly other hot spots for pinball (i.e. Seattle), Houston stacks up pretty well with the rest of the top 10 populated citites. No city #5-#10 in population has more games than Houston.[quoted image]

And most of those locations are 1 pin locations...Movie theaters...I am not going to a location with one pinball machine...

#11 3 years ago

Then google the city with the most barcades and move on. Good luck!

#12 3 years ago

Stl, Minneapolis, and Portland aren't on the list, but all have many good locations.

#13 3 years ago

Come to nashville. This is 1 location- music city pinball game terminal. 300 games - 2 bars

20210113_112959 (resized).jpg20210113_112959 (resized).jpg20210113_113036 (resized).jpg20210113_113036 (resized).jpg20210113_113047 (resized).jpg20210113_113047 (resized).jpg20210113_113104 (resized).jpg20210113_113104 (resized).jpg20210113_113119 (resized).jpg20210113_113119 (resized).jpg20210113_113119 (resized).jpg20210113_113119 (resized).jpg20210113_113126 (resized).jpg20210113_113126 (resized).jpg20210113_113132 (resized).jpg20210113_113132 (resized).jpg20210113_113207 (resized).jpg20210113_113207 (resized).jpg20210113_113227 (resized).jpg20210113_113227 (resized).jpg20210113_113255 (resized).jpg20210113_113255 (resized).jpg20210113_113314 (resized).jpg20210113_113314 (resized).jpg20210113_113337 (resized).jpg20210113_113337 (resized).jpg20210113_114207 (resized).jpg20210113_114207 (resized).jpg
    #14 3 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

welcome back Mr kotter . oh oh oh !

Coincidentally, my Dad & I drove to New York City in 1975, When we crossed the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn, we saw the sign.....

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Come to nashville. This is 1 location- music city pinball game terminal. 300 games - 2 bars[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool looking place .Now if I can just talk my wife into stopping there on the way to Orlando in March .

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Come to nashville. This is 1 location- music city pinball game terminal. 300 games - 2 bars[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Now this! Is what I am talking about!

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Now this! Is what I am talking about!

place is unreal. nicest arcade I have ever been to. Stern and JJP have both been to town to see it and they all agree nicest arcade ever. it is almost like going to TPF without the vendors but every game plays perfect. I could not find one machine that did not work 100%.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Holy crap! When did that open?

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Looks like a weekend getaway is my near future.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Holy crap! When did that open?

this is the amazing part, he got it all completed and open during the pandemic. They had their grand opening about a month ago. He also has a huge outdoor area with tables, another bar, cornhole boards and more. He has plans on adding lots more outdoor stuff like swimming pools. The kids and ladies can hang outside while the guys play pinball and stuff. I think he is trying to pull in some of the Nashville bachelorette party crowd with the outdoor stuff.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

this is the amazing part, he got it all completed and open during the pandemic. They had their grand opening about a month ago. He also has a huge outdoor area with tables, another bar, cornhole boards and more. He has plans on adding lots more outdoor stuff like swimming pools. The kids and ladies can hang outside while the guys play pinball and stuff. I think he is trying to pull in some of the Nashville bachelorette party crowd with the outdoor stuff.

Nashville is taking off...My company just expanded there a couple months ago... Maybe I should transfer..lol

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I just checked out their website, looks pretty amazing, even an on site pinball sales room, could be dangerous after a few cocktails.

#23 3 years ago

Looks incredible, could it be a new major tournament location with PAPA/Pinburgh going away?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Nashville is taking off...My company just expanded there a couple months ago... Maybe I should transfer..lol

Nashville is getting flooded man. Amazon just dumped 3 billion into the area for housing because so many people are moving here.

#26 3 years ago

I have been on that map..Do tell where there is a rockin location to have drinks and food and pinball play that has more than 2 pinball games?

#27 3 years ago

pretty easy to tell how many games a location has. pretty sure all of them serve food and drinks or allow you to bring your own.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #28 3 years ago

If you base where you want to live on how many pinball machines there are there, you need to get a life.

#29 3 years ago

Is put it close #3 behind the sweltering heat and hurricanes

#30 3 years ago

kpc? You must play in different places than me, I've never seen those initials.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from chiefbrody:

kpc? You must play in different places than me, I've never seen those initials.

What places do you play at?

#32 3 years ago

Hopefully the Free Play Arcade in Worcester, MA will open soon. I did a whole podcast on this new location. The Classic Pinball Podcast.

There is a great arcade to play pinball in Spring Texas. (Town on outskirts of Houston)

783E7DC7-08E9-42BC-BEFC-4E2945922370 (resized).jpeg783E7DC7-08E9-42BC-BEFC-4E2945922370 (resized).jpeg
    #33 3 years ago

Houston, Tx . . . Poison Girl. 1641 Westheimer...

Opens at 3, Mr. Flanagan, tell him hi.

#34 3 years ago

Couldn’t think of name when I posted......The Game Preserve.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Couldn’t think of name when I posted......The Game Preserve.

I have been going to the Game Preserve for years..Line up has been the same for awhile and games are in so so shape.. ..They might be closing..They are doing a push to stay open because their lease is up....

#36 3 years ago

To all my Space City Pinball friends, one of the main reasons I love living in Houston is you!

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

That’s awesome

#38 3 years ago
    The kids and ladies can play pinball too I hope!

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Come to nashville.

Now that looks awesome. Some friends of ours just moved to Nashville, we'll have to check that out when we go to visit!

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from lizzyd:

The kids and ladies can play pinball too I hope!

of course they can. My wife and kids would rather swim unfortunately

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

[quoted image]

Welcome Back, Kotter theme song just went off in my head.

I guess Brooklyn is no longer considered to be its own separate city (not sure when that happened) which is why it dropped off all the lists (2010 Census population was 2.5M which theoretically would rank it at #4 just above Houston at 2.3M).

#42 3 years ago

Phoenix used to suck and then a bunch of people in the arcade and pinball community open great places like Electric Bat, Starfighters, Level One, Cobra, Stardust, and a few others. It was a risk, but they did it because of their passion.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

When Einsteins Pub is the only place to go

You mean you haven't been to the new 2nd location? 17 pins at that Richmond location.

Quoted from kciaccio:

I have been going to the Game Preserve for years

You mean you haven't been to the Game Preserve NASA location? 20 pins there

Why would you want to go to a bar to play? Sometimes it is about the people who you meet at these other places and get to know them and the owners that it makes it even more enjoyable.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

And most of those locations are 1 pin locations...Movie theaters...I am not going to a location with one pinball machine...

That's the only reason to visit some places isn't it I used to ride my bike 5 miles one way as a kid to the pizza joint to play eight ball deluxe (To you old wise guys out there it wasn't up hill both ways in a foot of snow either)

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Wait, so I’ll be able to flip then go outside and play bags and swim and then come back in and play more pinball all while drinking? I’m so in.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You mean you haven't been to the new 2nd location? 17 pins at that Richmond location.

You mean you haven't been to the Game Preserve NASA location? 20 pins there
    Why would you want to go to a bar to play? Sometimes it is about the people who you meet at these other places and get to know them and the owners that it makes it even more enjoyable.

I actually go to Nasa more because it's closer to my house but Spring has the better pinball machines...Usually there is hardly anybody is there.

#47 3 years ago

so Houston has more than 1 option, per your own admission? That derogatory thread title just sounds like a griping, whining post now doesn't it?

Of course not...

#49 3 years ago

I am a newbie, but have had an awesome experience getting to know the people and machines around Houston. The Arcade Expo and then my first league experience in January were great introductions...but unfortunately Covid has put most things on pause. I have yet to go to either Einstein location, so there is still more to experience. Sure, we don't have anything like that place in Nashville, but certainly wouldn't say it sucks. I tried out that 82 place a few weeks ago, and it was really nice.

Also, FYI The Game Preserve did meet its goal.

#50 3 years ago

One thing that might help you find new locations is an app called Pinball Map. You can scout out any place in the states as well as many global locations for active pinball bars and arcades. It’ll also give you a list of what games are available with reviews by pinball users as to the playing condition. Houston seems to have a decent number of locations. Joystix Classic Games and Pinball has 46 machines listed.

I’ve used it in my home town of Phoenix to find some great places to eat, drink and play! Hop Central Brewery, Electric Bat Arcade, Starfighters, Uncle Bears Brewery, ...... sorry don’t mean to rub it in, but pre-pandemic Phoenix was awesome.

41AC9453-C0E1-462B-BE2D-BB7AB68F8453 (resized).jpeg41AC9453-C0E1-462B-BE2D-BB7AB68F8453 (resized).jpeg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4th-largest-city-in-america-sucks-for-pinball?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.