48 days ago

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by skquinn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Can wraps (resized).PNG
    crop (resized).png
    B24D7362-D4E6-4F24-9832-3E05D3663001 (resized).jpeg
    41AC9453-C0E1-462B-BE2D-BB7AB68F8453 (resized).jpeg
    783E7DC7-08E9-42BC-BEFC-4E2945922370 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20210113_113119 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113104 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113036 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113047 (resized).jpg
    20210113_112959 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113119 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113126 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113132 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113207 (resized).jpg
    20210113_113227 (resized).jpg

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 48 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Would it be crazy that one of the top reasons I want to move from Houston is the terrible pinball scene compared to other cities in the United States? lol
    When Einsteins Pub is the only place to go and have food and drink and play pinball???

I would highly recommend that you join the Space City Pinball League when the IFPA opens back up. When we were going strong before covid we would have league night at 1820 Lounge on Monday nights, 3 Strike at Game Preserve (woodlands location) on Tuesday nights, one weekend a month at Einsteins in Katy and also started to have tournaments at the new Einsteins location as well as the new Game Preserve location. Plenty of places to play. There are even more locations in Houston than the ones I just listed. Also, if you join and you're not a dick you get invited to the awesome tournaments that are played on private collections at members houses. I can assure you there is plenty of pinball to play in the Houston area. Make friends within the group and you will get enough pinball. I promise we are a friendly bunch and would love to have you and give you the pinball fix you need.

#52 48 days ago

This ^^^

#53 47 days ago

I know the title of the post is harsh, Just wanted to get it buzzing.

All the people I have met in pinball are awesome. I guess what I really meant was I am disappointed in the public venues for pinball play.
    Several people have invited me to the league to play but the hours didn't line up with my work schedule...

I know the Expo in Houston is one of the best in the country and love going to it and was really bummed out that this year was canceled for covid.

I hit Einsteins and Game Preserve's and that is about all for public venues. I have 4 pins and my friend has 4 great pins. I could network more to play more home collections I suppose but sometimes I just want to drop in and play without being an inconvenience to someone else. and have a beer and some food..

When I was up in Dallas I went to FreePlay and I really liked it and wished Houston had more sets ups of Food, Beer and games.

#54 47 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

I hit Einsteins

But does that mean you went to both locations? It sure does not suggest that at all. They are 2 separate ones with different game titles at both and different atmospheres.

There is Mr Pixels off 290 at Jones Road with 10 to 12 pins.

#55 47 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

All the people I have met in pinball are awesome. I guess what I really meant was I am disappointed in the public venues for pinball play.
    Several people have invited me to the league to play but the hours didn't line up with my work schedule...
    I know the Expo in Houston is one of the best in the country and love going to it and was really bummed out that this year was canceled for covid.
    I hit Einsteins and Game Preserve's and that is about all for public venues. I have 4 pins and my friend has 4 great pins. I could network more to play more home collections I suppose but sometimes I just want to drop in and play without being an inconvenience to someone else. and have a beer and some food..
    When I was up in Dallas I went to FreePlay and I really liked it and wished Houston had more sets ups of Food, Beer and games.

Sorry, I know Pinside is often a race to sound the most toxic, but come on. Basically insulting the city and those who try to make it better for pinball people isn't really a great introduction/way to generate "buzz." Yet, as a testament to how good the pinball people here are...they are still trying to help you find more locations. Sorry your beer/food/pinball combo needs aren't being met, of course we would all love more options, but don't say what has been put together here sucks. Gratefully take the advice others have offered.

#56 47 days ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

If you base where you want to live on how many pinball machines there are there, you need to get a life.

Sounds like a nice option to have. IMO

#57 47 days ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

#1, no you are not crazy. We all are.
    Out of curiosity I grabbed the top 10 populated cities in the US, punched them into www.pinballmap.com and noted # of locations and # of machines for each.
    While there are certainly other hot spots for pinball (i.e. Seattle), Houston stacks up pretty well with the rest of the top 10 populated citites. No city #5-#10 in population has more games than Houston.[quoted image]

While we are still much smaller than the DFW, Houston, and Austin scenes; I have to point out that San Antonio definitely has more than three locations and six machines in it. I’m not sure why PinballMap only shows those three venues when searching for “San Antonio“ in the search bar. Either way, 22 locations and 68 machines (in the COVID-19 age) certainly looks a lot better! It makes me wonder how far off those other cities’ numbers might be.

B24D7362-D4E6-4F24-9832-3E05D3663001 (resized).jpeg

#58 47 days ago

It might be the difference between the city proper and the larger metro area.

#59 47 days ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

It might be the difference between the city proper and the larger metro area.

All the locations above are listed with San Antonio, TX as the city. I think it has to do with pinballmap's "region" feature. But the region is not an editable feature (I'm the admin for San Antonio).

#60 47 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Come to nashville. This is 1 location- music city pinball game terminal. 300 games - 2 bars[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

UNREAL!!!!

#61 47 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Houston is the terrible pinball scene compared to other cities in the United States?

This might of been a topic 5 years ago, but Houston has seen steady growth since then.

Just in the last year or so 4 new pinball venues have popped up.
    Mr. pixels (off jones rd) has like 10, TGP south (nasa) has like 20 or more, einsteins pub and arcade (richmond) has 17, and the newest 82 place (downtown) has 9 or 10. also cidercades is supposedly supposed to open at some point downtown.
    The places that don't serve stuff allow byob and outside food, which some people prefer.

Also if you want to make the scene better, buy some pro editions and put them on location. It's not hard if you keep up with them and don't let the issues snowball.

#62 47 days ago
    Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

While we are still much smaller than the DFW, Houston, and Austin scenes; I have to point out that San Antonio definitely has more than three locations and six machines in it. I’m not sure why PinballMap only shows those three venues when searching for “San Antonio“ in the search bar. Either way, 22 locations and 68 machines (in the COVID-19 age) certainly looks a lot better! It makes me wonder how far off those other cities’ numbers might be.
    [quoted image]

attached, I think this goes outside city limits. don't know how accurate it is though.

crop (resized).png
    #63 47 days ago

Cidercade Houston is going to be opening very soon. Facebook page just went live. 275+ arcade and pinball. Location in Dallas regularly is stocked with LEs, they rotate through some unique games (Primus comes to mind), and the drinks are excellent.

#64 47 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

I have been going to Game preserve for years, but it isn't a bar environment..The games are in ok shape... They have not changed much in years... Austin and Dallas have a much better scene... JMO...

It's better than a bar environment:you can bring your own. I guarantee everytime I go there I'm drinking the best beer (usually unavailable) in Houston.

#65 47 days ago
    Quoted from keith20mm:

Houston, Tx . . . Poison Girl. 1641 Westheimer...
    Opens at 3, Mr. Flanagan, tell him hi.

Unfortunately the games have been off since March due to Covid. Someday...

#66 47 days ago

I believe Cidercade is opening up an outpost on the Eastside of Houston. The one is Dallas is awesome.

Quoted from kciaccio:

#67 46 days ago

Yeah, it's probably a complete coincidence that dude writes a false thread title, can't find any pinball in a relatively pin-rich area, is given more than a handful of alternatives, rejects them...

and lookie here... a new venue is being announced( hint: we already knew it was coming.)

Again, probably a complete coincidence, but if it is NOT; I can guarantee you these tactics are a fantastic way to dissuade support from H-town in general.

#68 46 days ago
    Quoted from JNX:

Yeah, it's probably a complete coincidence that dude writes a false thread title, can't find any pinball in a relatively pin-rich area, is given more than a handful of alternatives, rejects them...
    and lookie here... a new venue is being announced( hint: we already knew it was coming.)
    Again, probably a complete coincidence, but if it is NOT; I can guarantee you these tactics are a fantastic way to dissuade support from H-town in general.

Well, as much as you hate the thread title it did bear out some good information...

We found out Nashville has a bad ass pinball place to visit sometime and Cidercade is opening in Houston in the near future which is they type of venue I have been waiting for to come to Houston finally..

I never knew of Mr. Pixels, I want to stop by there and check it out...

#69 46 days ago
    Quoted from luch:

welcome back Mr kotter . oh oh oh !

Haha. I was thinking the same when I saw that image of the Brooklyn, NY sign.

#70 46 days ago

So, Cidercade is exactly what you were looking for...even though it doesn't have beer or food? I thought those were two of your prerequisites.

Promises food trucks...but, if you have been to other brewery type places you know those aren't always guaranteed to be there/open.

They announced in 2019, no big news. Drove by where they are supposed to be last week and saw no activity, hope they are able to pull it off soon.

#71 46 days ago
    Quoted from emspence:

So, Cidercade is exactly what you were looking for...even though it doesn't have beer or food? I thought those were two of your prerequisites.
    Promises food trucks...but, if you have been to other brewery type places you know those aren't always guaranteed to be there/open.
    They announced in 2019, no big news. Drove by where they are supposed to be last week and saw no activity, hope they are able to pull it off soon.

Hoping they transition into more of a Dallas type situation....I have been to Game Preserve tons of times and hardly ever have seen anyone drinking a beer in there..lol

#72 46 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

I have been to Game Preserve tons of times and hardly ever have seen anyone drinking a beer in there..lol

uhhh.....

#73 46 days ago

We used beer can wraps years ago. Back then the popular ones were Pipsi-Cola, Caco-Calo and 7-Op. Logos were difficult to discern even 5 feet away....

Can wraps (resized).PNG

#74 46 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

You can change the title to 4th largest city in America sucks for Whataburger. I went to 3 different ones in Houston recently and they were awful. Unless they've all gone downhill, Georgetown and Austin's were much better. Now back to pinball.

#75 46 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Hoping they transition into more of a Dallas type situation....I have been to Game Preserve tons of times and hardly ever have seen anyone drinking a beer in there..lol

So, what is a "Dallas type situation?" Also, check out TGP on a tournament day, there will be plenty of BYOB participants, haha.

#76 46 days ago
    Quoted from emspence:

So, what is a "Dallas type situation?" Also, check out TGP on a tournament day, there will be plenty of BYOB participants, haha.

Dallas type situation? Like adult beverages, good food and Games...

#77 46 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Well, as much as you hate the thread title it did bear out some good information...
    We found out Nashville has a bad ass pinball place to visit sometime and Cidercade is opening in Houston in the near future which is they type of venue I have been waiting for to come to Houston finally..
    I never knew of Mr. Pixels, I want to stop by there and check it out...

Guessing you never went to the pacman fridays at joystixs either, where they open the showroom up. Slightly less old arcade games, but they have more new ones, since Charlie deals with more than just pinball. Been a while since I've been, but he had at least 40-50 pins on the floor.

Just for the record you could of asked nicely and gotten just as many responses, instead of insulting the Houston scene. Unless there was an ulterior motive, because like its been mentioned there are several other places besides EinStein's pub (even though I might be a little bias ).
    Anyway, hope cidercades is everything you hoped for.

#78 46 days ago

The second largest city in the USA isn't faring much better. All fun has been temporarily outlawed.

I think they are just using words like "temporarily" so if it goes on long enough, people will actually forget what fun was.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-again-2-days-after-putting-my-batman-california-shut-down

#79 46 days ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Guessing you never went to the pacman fridays at joystixs either, where they open the showroom up. Slightly less old arcade games, but they have more new ones, since Charlie deals with more than just pinball. Been a while since I've been, but he had at least 40-50 pins on the floor.
    Just for the record you could of asked nicely and gotten just as many responses, instead of insulting the Houston scene. Unless there was an ulterior motive, because like its been mentioned there are several other places besides EinStein's pub (even though I might be a little bias ).
    Anyway, hope cidercades is everything you hoped for.

I have done Joysticks. Very fun night...Great pins..But open 2 nights a month from 9pm to 2am before covid and closed ever since... I appreciate the effort by them since they are a retailer.

#80 46 days ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

Would it be crazy that one of the top reasons I want to move from Houston is the terrible pinball scene

Quoted from kciaccio:

When Einsteins Pub is the only place to go and have food and drink and play pinball???

Quoted from kciaccio:

I have been going to Game preserve for years

Quoted from kciaccio:

I have been on that map

Quoted from kciaccio:

I actually go to Nasa more because it's closer to my house but Spring has the better pinball machines

Quoted from kciaccio:

I know the Expo in Houston is one of the best in the country and love going to it

Quoted from kciaccio:

I have been to Game Preserve tons of times

Quoted from kciaccio:

I have done Joysticks. Very fun night...Great pins

wait, what were we talking about again?

#81 46 days ago

Look at it as an opportunity. Open up your own Arcade Bar with investors. Youll miss all the loss revenue when the Covid ends. Start now! Of course if you make over 400k that may be a different story with taxes? I don't know the logistics?

#82 46 days ago

COVID has just messed up a lot of things. Houston has a great pin/arcade community. You CAN BYOB at the Game Preserve. There are a few guidelines they ask you to follow but not a big deal. And once things open up a little more I am sure Pacman fever Friday’s will start back up at Joystix. You should be glad he offers that and league nights. He doesn’t have to do it at all.

Also if it weren’t for COVID and you got to know people in the community you would see there are numerous gatherings throughout the year. Some have amazing collections and it’s nice they invite people over from time to time.

We are all frustrated with all the limited things due to COVID but get over it. Give it time and see what happens when things open up.

#83 45 days ago

Whew! I new when I saw the title of this thread that someone was going to get slammed.... ouch

#84 45 days ago

Well I think the OP is being a little harsh giving we are all dealing with COVID it’s hard for anything to thrive right now. Pre COVID we were actually thriving with more places opening.
    Game Preserve adding a second location. Einstein’s adding a second location. Cidercade planning to open at some point. Mr. Pixels is fairly new I believe. League night at Joystix was growing pushing 40 plus people regularly. The Houston Arcade Expo changed venues and has grown. There is a VERY active community of collectors/players. Plenty of opportunities to meet and play if you wanted to.

To single out Houston given what we are dealing with globally is pretty unfair. You would be hard pressed to find anywhere location pinball has not been impacted. Plenty of threads discussing it and tons of places have closed. It’s amazing some have survived and a few new ones have opened.

#85 43 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Come to nashville. This is 1 location- music city pinball game terminal. 300 games - 2 bars

I am glad that Nashville has GT in town. I live out in Mount Juliet and it is only a 25 minute drive for me. Seems like I have been there more weekends than not for the past 7 weeks or so. It gave me the pinball bug and I liked Iron Man so much that I had to have one delivered last week. I was there yesterday and I may have to have an AIQ next, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Deadpool next... another visit may help me make a decision.

#86 42 days ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

It's better than a bar environment:you can bring your own. I guarantee everytime I go there I'm drinking the best beer (usually unavailable) in Houston.

My fave kind of beer, cold and yours!

1 week later
    #87 31 days ago

Cidercade is open now. They have 20 pins, including Led Zeppelin LE. One downside tho...cider.

#88 31 days ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

#1, no you are not crazy. We all are.
    Out of curiosity I grabbed the top 10 populated cities in the US, punched them into www.pinballmap.com and noted # of locations and # of machines for each.
    While there are certainly other hot spots for pinball (i.e. Seattle), Houston stacks up pretty well with the rest of the top 10 populated citites. No city #5-#10 in population has more games than Houston.[quoted image]

Just an FYI on pinball maps, make sure to check out the suburbs. For example in "Phoenix", three of our biggest arcades don't show up in the default search, and each has 18+ on their own. Might be the same for Houston.

#89 30 days ago

I'm actually surprised how good Minneapolis is. We have SS Billiards, Tilt, BlaineBrook, Up Down, Mortimers, and many others.

3 weeks later
    #90 8 days ago

[Ignore, same thing was mentioned elsewhere in the thread]

#91 8 days ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

Just an FYI on pinball maps, make sure to check out the suburbs. For example in "Phoenix", three of our biggest arcades don't show up in the default search, and each has 18+ on their own. Might be the same for Houston.

I don't think Houston's map has this issue as the suburbs are all part of the "zones" comprising the Houston area according to Pinball Map. Even Beaumont is part of the Houston map, though there are only three locations each with one machine. All of the major pinball haunts are somewhere on the map.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 26.50
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Space Coast Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Starcade Amusement
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 37.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Cento Creations
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 32.00
    $ 81.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 18.95
    There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside