43 days ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by sniiki
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

puke (resized).jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 41 days ago

Then I guess you’ll be selling all your games for one?

Why do you even have more than one machine if “pinball is pinball”?

Why did real pinball take off after people got into it via virtual pinball?

#52 41 days ago

Virtual Pinburgh 2040, 10,000 competitors.

Bank on it.

1 month later
    #53 4 days ago

Just repeating what others have said:
    It's annoying when people base their judgement on some shitty VR cabinet with shitty electronics and a shitty simulator sw. If you tried Future Pinball, FX2, FX3, Pinball Arcade then sure, they suck. Physics just suck so much it makes no sense to play those things any more than it would make sense to throw rabbit shit to wall and claim it's pinball. Also if the cabinet has a noticeable lag it's just a shitty build. A well functioning VR cabinet has no more lag than a real world coil has.

Only decent virtual pinball simulator atm is VPX and even that has a lot of variance in table quality, both how they look and how they play (because designer can affect things like material elasticity, friction etc.). As it is an open source community driven thing, this is what happens. Good thing is the community has plenty of amazingly talented guys willing to share their hard work with others. A bit over a year ago I build 4K (+2 additional screens) virtual pinball cabinet with DOF (solenoids to give FFB) and analog nudging and whatnot. Was happy with it as I got to play real machines quite rarely and didn't really mind the flatness that time.

But..
    Then I got some real machines to my house and after few months of actively playing real things, returning to the virtual pinball was quite a "WTF is this thing??" experience. Despite all the other elements being there, the 2D just totally ruined the feeling as I had got used to understanding the gameplay with proper depth perception. BAM or no BAM, the flatness is just awful if you play real things a lot. Btw don't be fooled about those BAM videos on youtube. Sure it looks good on video or if you play it with only one eye open but in reality with the stereo vision that most of us have, it's not much better to the static 2D and most importantly you cannot judge the ball movement as with real tables without the depth perception.

But..
    I was about to trash my vpin cab and just for the heck of it decided to give the new, still alpha state, VR version of VPX ago (yes this VR pinball naming convention is a bit confusing now with the (real?) virtual reality). Boy did it make a difference! It felt like a new simulator and I'm not only talking about the sense of having the actual cab in front of you (and no, VR wasn't new to me and I had had helmets for 4 years already). The physics and the gameplay in general felt really different as I was able to perceive the depth. VPX's physics engine also showed more clearly its capabilities as air balls were visible now. Despite the shitty resolution of current VR helmet and VPXVR being in it's alpha state, it was so good I decided to build another VRVP cabinet (just the front of the cab) and move my solenoids, shakers and other shit into it.

No, it's still not a real thing and yes it's not that social experience as the traditional vpincab (or the real thing) but it's by far the best virtual pinball experience you can get and I see no point of building 3 screen bulky flat experience that costs the same as smaller cab with the best VR helmet on the market. Sure if I had the space and money to buy all the real machines I like, I wouldn't bother with it but yeah, it's not like that and this is a really good substitute. Just.. try it if you can.

I hope VPX physics keep on evolving tho as they're not perfect yet. It's not quite what iRacing is compared to real racing but definitely better than Gran Turismo.

#54 3 days ago

Have to add that FX3 Williams physics seem a lot better than the standard FX3.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.99
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 87.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 5,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    T-shirt- Grey Color Out of stock
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 93.00
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 64.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside