(Topic ID: 206035)

4k TV / Television buying advice (purpose: Video Gaming)

By marcand

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by taylor34
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 6 years ago

Greetings,

I have a wonderful Panasonic HDTV, but I am thinking that 2018 will be the year to upgrade to a 4k tv. I have a PS4 Pro which supports the higher resolution and that is what I will be primarily using it for. I am not into live tv nor sports so that's not a consideration. Knowing that many here are video game junkies like myself, I am curious about your opinions and thoughts.

Any advice about what specs I should be looking at? Fast refresh rates are a necessity since I plan on playing twitchy action games. In summary:

Should I buy now? Wait a few months? Hold off a long while?

What determines a good set versus a bad one?

Most likely, I will shop Best Buy. Thoughts on them?

Thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago

I don’t think the ps4 pro is actually playing games in 4K.
The new Xbox one X will.
For TVs check out the 2017 LG OLED b7.
Can’t really beat it I don’t think

#3 6 years ago

rtings.com does a great job looking at different televisions. That site is the authority of reviewing televisions.

Since you have Sony, maybe a Sony 900E. I have heard too many reports about image retention/burn in on OLED models. Since you mentioned Best Buy, if you buy a warranty from them, it will cover that on an OLED model.

#4 6 years ago

Maybe Sticky will weigh in, he’s pretty much an authority on bulldogs and really big 4K TVs.

#5 6 years ago

You'll get a better picture and performance buying a gaming monitor in 4k

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

The new Xbox one X will.

Neither of them support all the games at native 4K. The One X comes close, and on some simpler titles, it can natively render games at 4K, but most titles are still upscaled from a sub 4K resolution using a checkerboard rendering technique. I know a lot of titles these days use dynamic resolution scaling techniques to keep framerates stable.

If you're looking for a monitor that's being specifically used for the best gaming experience, try to find one with the least amount of image processing (to keep latency down), and the highest refresh rates.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Of course it does

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ps4-pro-enhanced-games/

Quoted from RVH:

For TVs check out the 2017 LG OLED b7.

Agree with that. For overall performance LG is a very good choice at the moment.

#8 6 years ago

Frankly, I’d say don’t buy now. CES 2018 is in a few short weeks. Once new models and ship dates are announced, you’ll have a good idea of when things are going on close out.

#9 6 years ago

There isn't a massive diff'rence anymore when shopping for TVs like their used to be.

Basically it comes down to; do you have enough cash to buy OLED or do you want OLED?

If no, Then buy the biggest Vizio TV you can afford (M series preferred).
If yes then I would say wait because they are too expensive now.

#10 6 years ago

Need to get one with HDR 10, as that is the new standard, most 2017 model year 4k sets have them.

I just bought an 82" Samsung 4ktv w/HDR, and it is incredible for gaming.

You'll want to buy a set with low latency as well, you basically cannot go wrong with Samsung, Sony or LG; but I would not recommend buying a set from any other manufacturer.

Is it worth it?? Hellz yeah, playing Uncharted 4 on PS4Pro on an 82" 4kTV is like a brand new game, it's amazing. And watching 4k programming on Netflix is absolutely stunning; 1080p upscaled via cable box looks decent as well; not nearly as good as 4k content, but still amazing.

Prices are good too; I got my Samsung for $3200

#11 6 years ago

Other thing to add is that OLED sets can suffer from burn-in, so be careful with them; I would highly recommend a non-OLEd panel now, as games tend to have artifacts liked HUDs.

#12 6 years ago

4K is great and all, but the HDR will be the most visually impactful component. Make sure the TV you pick has a good contrast ratio and can produce and sustain high brightness (measured in nits, 1000 is ideal). OLEDs are great on contrast but so-so on nits and they do suffer from picture burn in so I wouldn't think they are ideal for gaming. Also, there are two types of HDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision, try and get a TV that does both.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

There isn't a massive diff'rence anymore when shopping for TVs like their used to be.
Basically it comes down to; do you have enough cash to buy OLED or do you want OLED?
If no, Then buy the biggest Vizio TV you can afford (M series preferred).
If yes then I would say wait because they are too expensive now.

I pretty much disagree with everything in this post. It sounds like what a salesperson at Best Buy would tell someone, aside from the last comment on cost (which is still wrong). There are big differences and when you add gaming to the equation, it becomes much more important to understand your options.

#14 6 years ago

I just purchased my lg uj7700 for one reason. Imput lag. I love to play call of duty online(ps4) and at a tweaked 8ms of imput lag it is among the best if not the best. Unfortunately it is not the best at all the rest. However it is good enough with some cool features and options. Also the price on a 65inch in my area is well below 1k!!!I could never go back to my previous 28ms. tv.
Think modern flippers compared to em flippers.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from PinBuck:

There are big differences and when you add gaming to the equation,...

That's fair. I come form the TV not gaming side, so perhaps I'm out of my element.

Quoted from PinBuck:

... aside from the last comment on cost (which is still wrong).

Well I still think you're wrong there but we're not in charge of each other monies so we don;t need to agree.

#16 6 years ago

There’s actually 4 HDR standards now on the market. HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG are the most known. Dolby Vision is hands-down the best.

And there are definitely huge gaps in TV performance... to the OP, I think you’re going to get a ton of bad advice trying to get information this way. If you know your budget just call up Robert Zohn at Value Electronics. Tell him what you’re looking for and get solid insight and advice from one of the industry’s best independent retailers. Either that, or start researching through trusted review sources.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

... to the OP, I think you’re going to get a ton of bad advice trying to get information this way.

Bad advice on an advice thread on Pinside? Inconceivable.

#18 6 years ago

If it’s for gaming, get a monitor.

#19 6 years ago

What size of TV are you looking at?

I have PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Paired with an older Vizio 70" P series (NON-HDR BOO!) Picture is great even non-HDR. Xbox one X does a better job then the PS4 Pro with 4k, even I hate to admit that as I am a PS kinda guy. I also PC game on the TV once in awhile. Although most of the PC Gaming is on the 1440res monitor with 144hz and G-Sync.

Here is an article a couple months old with some listed TV's for gaming.

http://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-4k-tvs-for-gaming

Good luck!

#20 6 years ago

Just buy the cheapest, biggest, name brand 4k set you can get. Like this one:

This TV is $699 a bunch:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5792903.p?skuId=5792903

Then just upgrade again in a few years. Not worth it to spend a bunch on a TV, it all goes to zero.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4k-tv-television-buying-advice-purpose-video-gaming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.