3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jehovah_vpinball copy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 3 years ago

Wow, some serious hardware in that. Nice work, it looks really good.

I plan to build a controller over the winter. I have swivel monitor mounts, I plan to just put one in portrait and jam at my desk when I'm in the mood. I also have VR. I've only just tested a couple of machines, but that actually seems to work pretty well.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Jonosborne:

I wish I could show this to all of you guys to decide for yourself if virtual pinball can be better than what we’ve all experienced. I think a lot of people are bitter and for good reason.

I think that's true, it's only getting better. People have even done a good job of adding some tactile feel with coils and such. It's in a completely different place than it was even a couple of years ago.

Is there a time when virtual pinball can replace the real thing? I'm not comfortable giving a definitive 'no' anymore. I think Stern has been pretty smart to release some tables in virtual platforms. I think they (or other manufacturers) should really consider moving more toward the video game space, maybe even virtual cabinets (or licensing to some already in that space).

Quoted from joetechbob:

Maybe more modern VR puts it over the top here?

(I played a VR setup at expo around 5 years ago and it was neat, but too much of a screen door effect and the physics were pretty poor. Looks like your setup greatly improves upon the physics.)

That was my first real interaction with consumer VR. I remember putting on the headset and was pretty blown away at how good it looked. Funny enough, I nearly fell on my face when I tried to put my weight on the front of the (virtual) machine.

I believe that was still a DK2 at that point. The Rift, which is now pretty old tech, looked quite a bit better. The quest 2, which say what you will about the facebook requirement, looks even better. It also removes the requirement of a PC for some titles, one of those being Pinball Fx2. While that platform doesn't currently offer 'real' titles, it does have some pretty cool games. I hope to see Pinball Arcade (stern) get added to that list, but that is available if you have a gaming PC. VPX is also available in some tables, and in my brief test exceeded my expectations. It does require some more fiddling, so I need to set aside some time to really set that up.

I've owned VR for quite a while, and the screen door effect is basically gone now. It's come a long way in a relatively short time. I think progress will be accelerated after the success of the quest2.

#19 3 years ago

Yeah, I've thought about what I can do to mimic the weight of a real machine within just a controller. I think a dumbbell or something set into the bottom of the controller box might be the easiest (though not the most elegant) solution.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

What does "4K 120hz" even mean?

I'll take that as a serious question. 4k is the resolution, which is 4x the resolution of a 1080p screen. 120hz is the screen's ability refresh an image. So that means that it has the ability to provide 120 (potentially different) frames per one second. Assuming your hardware is good enough to exceed that number, it means that you're seeing 120 new images in that second. That means that the gameplay would be very smooth, and any streaking or stutter should be practically non-existent.

On a less than ideal VP setup, you might actually see ball traces going across the screen due to the inability to differentiate those frames either by the screen or processing hardware. In this setup, that isn't happening.

#23 3 years ago

There's not really a ton of reason to upgrade at the moment if you're not really into A/V. Traditional TV is still only showing in 1080, and only some streaming content is available in 4k. That also requires a pretty decent internet connection. If you opt for discs, you need a current gen game console or a pricey player to play it.

And now 8k is going to be a thing. I personally dont believe that will ever be a worthwhile upgrade in anything other than silly large screens.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
16,500 (Firm)
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4k-120-hz-virtual-pinball-acdc-?tu=deaconblooze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.