9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by crazi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hi All,

I have a weird query... I recently picked up another 3 pins for restoration. All completed now but two of them, Pinbot and Big Guns have had the CPU battery holder removed (good stuff)...but there is no external holder or any other type of battery connected - YET - the games memory is working fine!!

Now - the CPU RAM chip has been replaced with a much thicker than normal IC 4802. I am wondering if this chip has some sort of internal power supply/battery? It's about 3 times thicker than a standard IC...

Looked for info but can't find anything on the 4802 having a supply...

So anyone know the 4802 chip? Or any ideas on how these two pins are keeping their memory???

#2 9 years ago

Yes, it is an internal battery backed up RAM: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/23329/STMICROELECTRONICS/MK48Z02.html

Data Sheet says worst case is 11 year battery life. The Z version (Zero Ram) last much longer than the T version (real time clock with ram). I am guessing your 4802 is a very early version. It would be interesting to see the date code.

#3 9 years ago

These parts, unlike some others, have their battery life determined by Date of Manufacture. Other devices actually have a shelf life circuit which keeps the battery disconnected until the unit is first used (accessed). In these devices, Date Code doesn't matter unless they have been used or tested on a RAM tester. Temperature can greatly effect battery life too. Higher temps, like that in a pinball head, can shorten the battery life.

So, since both are older games, it is possible you could be at the end of life for the batteries (50% expected to fail in 20 years).

Since your board are probably socketed already, you may want to consider the various NVRAM options that have been recently discussed here on Pinside. There are a number of sellers, all offering good products but at varying price points.

Of course, you could just wait until they fail. You may not own the game at that point any longer.

#4 9 years ago

Cactus Jack - thanks for the info. I suspected it had to be

A whole load of spares came with the games and there is about 10 of these 4802 chips so plenty spare I will check tomorrow the actual full code on the chip

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4802-ram-chip-no-cpu-batteries and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.