4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Ring-Them-Bells
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bevis and butthead score.jpg
    image-146.jpg
    image.jpg
    20150605_234646.jpg
    bevis scores.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Can anyone recommend a source for decent 455 lamps? The Eiko ones I buy are not very good. They flash at all sorts of rates and they don't last long at all. Many are black and dud within only few hours of use. The originals are far more consistent and last forever (nearly).

#2 4 years ago

I second that. Some blink so infrequently right out of thd box that I throw em right out

#3 4 years ago

I got lucky and found some 100 in a box #455 GE/WESTINGHOUSE nos bulbs on ebay a few different times. All my games have those nos bulbs in their titles. I removed a ton of them Crappy modern day bulbs because don't blink fast enough and don't last long either. I hate a product when it makes me waste my time.

#4 4 years ago

What Vic said, I too have purchased NOS GE 455s on Ebay. You will likely pay $1/bulb, but the blink rate and longevity are worth it imo.

#5 4 years ago

I have some of those old GE455s that I know are over 30 years old and still work great. I don't know why the newer ones suck so bad.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ring-Them-Bells:

why the newer ones suck so bad.

They don't evacuate the bulb when they are made. Filament burns out quickly in the presence of regular atmosphere.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

They don't evacuate the bulb when they are made. Filament burns out quickly in the presence of regular atmosphere.

OK. Shows how much I know.

I guess led flashers could be used?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ring-Them-Bells:

OK. Shows how much I know.
    I guess led flashers could be used?

They're not flashers but rather blinking bulbs. These are tied into the 6V GI string. I'm not sure but they may make 6V blinking LED lamps.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

They're not flashers but rather blinking bulbs. These are tied into the 6V GI string. I'm not sure but they may make 6V blinking LED lamps.

Cointaker has these in both bright white and warm white, just remember they have chips in them and will go dark if its in a wpc game and the GI power saver turns on in attract mode.

#10 4 years ago

Thanks for the hot tip! I keep all the bulbs I pull from machines when I first them and I have a few of the GE 455s. I just put one back in service and the flash rate is outstanding!

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

Cointaker has these in both bright white and warm white...

Yep they are "hidden" in the misc bulbs section

#12 4 years ago

+1 for vintage GE bulbs. Those things rock and seem to last much longer than modern Eiko and Ablaze lamps.

Quoted from kbliznick:

Cointaker has these in both bright white and warm white, just remember they have chips in them and will go dark if its in a wpc game and the GI power saver turns on in attract mode.

Comet sells a blinking LED as well:

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smdblink.htm

All of the LED blinkers I've seen feel off to me. The blinking is too rigid and instantaneous, and the rates don't feel as random as they do with a regular 455. That said, I'm not much of a fan of LEDs in classic games in general, so take my LED advice with a grain of salt.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

+1 for vintage GE bulbs. Those things rock and seem to last much longer than modern Eiko and Ablaze lamps.

Same goes for the #44 bulbs. I rarely do games in incandescents anymore, but when I do I go through all my pulls and put in used US made GE bulbs rather than new Chinese bulbs. The chinese bulbs have a failure rate of about 5% after only a week.

Quoted from erichill:

All of the LED blinkers I've seen feel off to me. The blinking is too rigid and instantaneous, and the rates don't feel as random as they do with a regular 455. .

They aren't random, but they get a little bit of variation due to heat differences. When you first turn on the game they all blink at the same rate, but within a few minutes they should all be mixed up a little, but even then the blink rate of each bulb is very steady.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

Same goes for the #44 bulbs. I rarely do games in incandescents anymore, but when I do I go through all my pulls and put in used US made GE bulbs rather than new Chinese bulbs. The chinese bulbs have a failure rate of about 5% after only a week.

I'm with ya! When I shop a game I remove all the bulbs, toss out anything that's burned out or has blackened glass, then throw what's left in the ultrasonic cleaner. They come out looking brand new and the for the most part the old stuff seems to outlast the current Chinese bulbs.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

I'm with ya! When I shop a game I remove all the bulbs, toss out anything that's burned out or has blackened glass, then throw what's left in the ultrasonic cleaner. They come out looking brand new and the for the most part the old stuff seems to outlast the current Chinese bulbs.

Never tried them in an ultrasonic. I toss them in the tumbler. It cleans the glass and polishes all the tarnish off the metal bases.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from nick-the-greek:

The Eiko ones I buy are not very good

Funny, the ones I bought about two years ago have been great, still all going well. Wonder if it is batch related.

The Eiko are a slower flashers than others, works well in Monty Carlo around the roulette wheel on the back board.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

will go dark if its in a wpc game and the GI power saver turns on in attract mode

Well, that explains one of my many minor issues. I had no idea that was what is going on with one of my games.

#18 4 years ago

Has any ever tried the 455 bulbs made by CEC Industries. Again, foreign made bulbs. I just wondered if anyone has ever seen if they're any better than the Eiko bulbs.

#19 4 years ago

I don't know what happened to that brand "Eiko" they used to be good, and i thought the premium brand to buy. but the last bunch I have of 47 are horrid. Have found a couple of bulbs that seemed much brighter than others. After closer inspection the filiment was twisted like a pretzel so only half the resistance. I still love the incandescent bulbs.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I don't know what happened to that brand "Eiko" they used to be good, and i thought the premium brand to buy. but the last bunch I have of 47 are horrid. Have found a couple of bulbs that seemed much brighter than others. After closer inspection the filiment was twisted like a pretzel so only half the resistance. I still love the incandescent bulbs.

The last time I was at PBR, Steve has some boxes of original NOS GE #47 bulbs. If you ever order from him, worth asking about, as he often gets stuff like this in.

#21 4 years ago

Never thought to ask. Thanks I will.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Never thought to ask. Thanks I will.

They have none - I asked!

1 week later
    #23 4 years ago

I had a talk with Steve at PBR a little over a month ago because my Space Odyssey didn't have any 455s in the head. He said that EMs always came out of the factory with at least 4-6 455s in the head. I ordered some of the Eiko bulbs and my experience is the same as others here. Some barely blinked right out of the box and within a week or two, many of the ones I installed had failed. I just found an Ebay auction for some NOS 455s and I ordered 20 0f them. I'll report back as to whether or not it was worth it. From the sounds of some of the other posts here, I did the right thing.

Once I had some flashers in my head, I was really happy at how much better the backglass looked with them in there. Can't wait to see it if these bulbs indeed blink better and last longer. Thanks for the heads up, everyone. Little shreds of advice like this are the things I like most about Pinside. It's always great to find other people sharing this type of info. I would have just kept on buying the Eiko ones without this thread.

Side note, I can't help but be curious about the posts mentioning that the Eiko bulbs used to be better a few years ago. Anyone else feel that way? I know I could switch to LEDs, but I would rather keep incandescent bulbs in my EM. Just personal preference, but if the quality of incandescent lamps is indeed dropping, then maybe a time will come where there won't be any choice in the matter.

Again, thanks everyone for the info on this issue!

2 weeks later
    #24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I got lucky and found some 100 in a box #455 GE/WESTINGHOUSE nos bulbs on ebay a few different times.

Thanks for the recommendation, Vic. I went on eBay and scored a really old box of them.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 4 years ago

I need to score a box myself.

#26 4 years ago

Ken

bevis and butthead score.jpg
    #27 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Thanks for the recommendation, Vic. I went on eBay and scored a really old box of them.
    image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

who is the ebay seller? or was it an auction?

#28 4 years ago

I found the auction and it was stuck in the middle of a bunch of boxes of 44's and other bulbs. I saw the ending bid and it was still worth the price.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

who is the ebay seller? or was it an auction?

I lucked out with a fair BIN for a single box of 10.

ebay.com link

1 month later
    #30 3 years ago

I scored a box of GE #455s and just stuck them in Fireball. They are amazing! I was 3 short but luckily I had 3 spare GE 455's from other games. 13 GE blinkers in the backglass with everything blinking except the word "Bally" I kept Bally (2 bulbs) with 47s. These bulbs are amazing. I took the Westinghouse brand #455s about 5 of them and put them in my Slick Chick. I kept the Eiko crap bulbs in the Game over and Tilt lighting on Slick Chick because the slower refresh rate looks better in those two spots.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I scored a box of GE #455s

You Lucky Rat You Hey, you scored

Ken

bevis scores.jpg

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

image.jpg image.jpg

Mike i am glad you scored on some 455's.

All of my games have 455's in them. They are located in the Title, Game Over, Tilt, Animation section and thinking of other places to add a couple more.

With 40 games in my collection if i listen closely when the basement is quiet enough to hear a pin drop, the bulbs sound like a symphony. I love the sound of a 455. If you put your ear against the head of the game you can really hear them good.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I love the sound of a 455. If you put your ear against the head of the game you can really hear them good.

tink, tink, tink

#34 3 years ago

I have an old box of #455 and also #51 from over 20 years ago but I don't remember what the #51 does.

I didn't use the #455 bulbs for fear of delaminating the backglass paint. Does Krylon triple thicking the backglass protect it from hot bulbs?

20150605_234646.jpg

#35 3 years ago

These lamps from PBR, are they GE/Westinghouse?

Lamp #455 -Flasher
    Bayonet Base
    6.5 Volt

LAM0455A

$3.30PB

#36 3 years ago

The Westinghouse #455's are like winning the Silver Medal. They are the second best IMHO next to GE's #455. They are not hot and they blink very well. As for PBR and everywhere else that sells current #455's they are made by "Eiko" and they suck lemons...BADLY. Use those #455's you have with pride.

The #51's you use them in under pop bumper caps instead of #44's or #47's. #51's put out and awesome glow with no "top of bulb" showing at the top of the cap and no burn in either. Again GE 51's are really nice bulbs. Much much better than Eiko craptastic #51's

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

As for PBR and everywhere else that sells current #455's they are made by "Eiko" and they suck lemons...BADLY. Use those #455's you have with pride.

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

The #51's you use them in under pop bumper caps instead of #44's or #47's. #51's put out and awesome glow with no "top of bulb" showing at the top of the cap and no burn in either.

Good to know this. Thanks!

#38 3 years ago

I've used this company in the past.
    https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1220/IND-455-10PK.html

$3.14 for a box of 10

Shipping cost...$9.00! HA! So I ordered a lot last time and it was for a customer.

#39 3 years ago

Or just order them from PBResources for $3.30 per box. He's normally reasonable on the shipping.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

The Westinghouse #455's are like winning the Silver Medal. They are the second best IMHO next to GE's #455. They are not hot and they blink very well. As for PBR and everywhere else that sells current #455's they are made by "Eiko" and they suck lemons...BADLY. Use those #455's you have with pride.
    The #51's you use them in under pop bumper caps instead of #44's or #47's. #51's put out and awesome glow with no "top of bulb" showing at the top of the cap and no burn in either. Again GE 51's are really nice bulbs. Much much better than Eiko craptastic #51's

I was lucky to score 200 of the GE 51 bulbs on ebay a few weeks ago for a nice price. Wish I could find a 100 GE 455 for a nice price!

1 month later
    #41 3 years ago

Ordered some frosted led blinkers. They came in today and I'm super disappointed. Slllloooooowwww....flassshhhhhhhhh..... I thought this might be an alternative for the worthless 455 flash every 5 second bulbs out there today. Glad I didn't order a huge amount Grrrrr.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 9.99
    $ 11.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside