(Topic ID: 325882)

455 Bulbs ???

By moonrakercat

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FF55DEDD-1674-4544-9730-11DFB7015F6F (resized).jpeg
    Pinball Life shipping (resized).png
    ge bulbs (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider classics_master.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 1 year ago

Good topic! I’ve always enjoyed 455 lamps since I first got into pinball. I have a collection of vintage GE 455 and Westinghouse 455 lamps, plus I have some of the very rare wedge type versions used in games like Al’s Garage Band and twilight zone, I believe they are 545?? Can’t remember.

I prefer the GE lamps the best, although the Westinghouse are really good as well and flash even faster. These both flash on/off very quickly and look awesome! I do not like the newer 455 as they flash way too slow, sometimes off for a few seconds. As an EM purist, the vintage 455 lamps are a must! I do not like the L.E.D. versions, just not the same.

#18 1 year ago

Do they make wedge type LED flashing lamps? If so, that would look great in games like Fireball Classic to look like more like how the original Fireball was intended. Those older wedge lamp flashers are hard to find, I have a few, but they are off way too long between flashing. 5 seconds maybe? Just too long of interval’s.

#20 1 year ago

Thanks for the link! Quick question, what looks more normal in the backglass the bright or dim? I’ve never used them, just curious?

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Terry, I am sure that is great news for some people but sadly the new 455 bulbs just are not the same as the vintage 455 bulbs. As long as people "adjust" their expectations all is good but the "Made in China" 455's just don't last or work as well as earlier bulbs from my experience with them.

I agree, I use the older GE455 lamps in my games, they blink on and off very quickly and have lasted for years and years. I have some games I’ve had 20+ years same lamps still working and look great! Those newer 455 seem to get black near the tip of the bulb before they burn up, just cheap. I recall those even breaking at the base when just trying to install. I only use the vintage GE or Westinghouse 455’s in my games. Gottlieb “game over”, “tilt” and “shoot again” lights behind backglass a must.

3 weeks later
    #79 1 year ago

I just like the quick on/off of the older GE or Westinghouse lamps. Some do blink faster than others, but it’s just the super fast on/off I like with no fade effect that I like. Only bad thing is some of these older lamps can get red hot when they blink quickly or stay on more than off, yet I’ve not had any issues with paint flaking on my games and use them. Just experiment and find what rate you like best, there is an art to these lights in the correct areas of the backglass.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider classics_master.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/455-bulbs-?tu=classics_master and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.