(Topic ID: 130381)

1949 United Mfg "Utah" woodrail cleaning & project

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UTAH Backbox Top (resized).jpg
    polyurethane.jpg
    20151023_213258.jpg
    20151023_211252.jpg
    20151013_201548.jpg
    58_gottlieb_posts.jpg
    20151005_202251.jpg
    20151005_202226.jpg
    20151004_212354.jpg
    20151004_212057.jpg
    20151004_204029.jpg
    20151004_203956.jpg
    20151004_210927.jpg
    20151004_201747.jpg
    20151004_202720.jpg
    20151004_194300.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevefury.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 8 years ago

Me? I'd ask Steve Young at PBR and follow his advice. What ever you rub on it you will likely only get one shot at it without an option of 'oops let me try that other one.

My existing 1947 Singapore paint was dry and thirsty for what ever I put on it.

#26 8 years ago

PinballFever what ever you choose to do please let us know what product you used and how it went.
    Thanks.

2 weeks later
    #37 8 years ago

Please let me repeat what the others have said.

Work small sections at a time. Work with a clean section of your rag (they collect soil right away) and *constantly check your rag or ME for signs of removed paint. If you see hints of paint then STOP and move to a different section.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Will do just what you suggested. Thanks Steve.
    BTW I've never used naphtha but it's most likely not safe to breathe the vapors. Is it ok to use it inside the room with windows open and large fan blowing it away from me?

I never had any vapor problems with it. I'd put the fan in the window blowing towards the outside. Make sure no lit pilot lights (gas water heater etc) are near.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Ok. I became nauseous and almost lost my dinner after breathing the ZEP Citrus Degreaser fumes while cleaning with it. Started using a fan with it and the windows open.
    On a side note. Should I change the topic to include "project" and post updates here as I do the whole game? The information may be beneficial to other United pinball owners.

I would if it were me.

3 months later
    #60 8 years ago

I hate the fact those carbon rings are a consumable item, like tires on your car.
    I was thinking to experiment with using a steel ring that would work a triac to operate the scoring circuit instead. I could save the carbon rings in a box in the cab if I wanted to reverse the mod.

#72 8 years ago

I love the colors on that one, looks fun to play. Excellent job!

#78 8 years ago

If you try to pop the inserts out and they are really stuck then I wouldn't risk breaking them. I'd put some acrylic colour around the edge with a fine brush, let it dry and then fill the cavity with Polycrylic.

#85 8 years ago

Me, personally: I'd carefully remove the card staples. I'd pry them up by carefully slipping an exacto knife under a staple end, putting a piece of cardboard or thin metal plate under the exacto knife blade to protect the card.
    That way the wood can be properly treated and scans of the cards made.

You can easily make a side rubber. You don't need to slit a rubber lengthwise, just cut in half. Then tack one end, stretch a little bit and tack the other side. Here's a grainy photo of my Singapore ball release. It was a bit difficult because the ends are held with tiny short screws:
    Gate.pngGate.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevefury.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/40s-united-pinball-machine-cleaning-question?tu=stevefury and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.