(Topic ID: 130381)

1949 United Mfg "Utah" woodrail cleaning & project

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UTAH Backbox Top (resized).jpg
    polyurethane.jpg
    20151023_213258.jpg
    20151023_211252.jpg
    20151013_201548.jpg
    58_gottlieb_posts.jpg
    20151005_202251.jpg
    20151005_202226.jpg
    20151004_212354.jpg
    20151004_212057.jpg
    20151004_204029.jpg
    20151004_203956.jpg
    20151004_210927.jpg
    20151004_201747.jpg
    20151004_202720.jpg
    20151004_194300.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 8 years ago

I used to put non adhesive mylar underneath pop bumpers but after reading that Clay thinks they do more damage than not having, I now only use if I want to cover up the area i.e one of my games has been touched in around pop bumpers and will use the mylar to 'hide' this due to it's reflective qualities.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Thanks for chiming in Shapeshifter! I've seen many of your posts and woodrail topics.
    Do you think this game doesn't need mylar around the pop bumpers?
    Btw, it plays great and I like the action while playing it. I plan to post a gameplay video of the game after it's cleaned up.
    Bruce

To mylar or not to mylar?

Lots of conflicting opinions on this subject.

My personal is I don't use adhesive as likely paint would come off if it needed to be removed.

Non adhesive. Whether to use or not use, it probably doesn't really matter for home use.

#63 8 years ago

Bumpers seem fine to me

Looks like an interesting game to play.

But, what is that awful buzzing???!!

Hold relay coil?

Or is another coil stuck on?

#71 8 years ago

Very nice indeed.

Bet it is hard to beat!

#84 8 years ago

Remember, the enemy of good is better!

Fallen into this trap many times.

Cards - the risks of damage are so high by removal/cleaning I would leave alone. Always such a nice bonus to have original.

Inserts. Will be interested to hear how you get on. I have not really tried this as they seem to stuck on most of my games and I would be so annoyed if I broke any - back to enemy of good.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

BALL SHOOTER COVER:
    You can see the front of the ball shooter cover looks good but the back part is rusted.
    Are there any concerns I should have about Evaporust removing the red lettering on front if I soak it?
    20151005_202226.jpg
    20151005_202251.jpg
    How about this part hidden underneath the ball shooter cover where the ball lift is? Should I fortify it in some way? I'm thinking I should.
    20151004_212057.jpg
    Here is the separation I found after lifting the playfield and examining the edges.
    I am not sure if the wood apron is meant to be permanently bound to the playfield or not. I could add a little wood glue then hold it together with a vise?
    20151004_212354.jpg
    I have the playfield stripped except for the pop bumpers. I plan to get a soldering iron, solder and flux within the next couple of days for unsoldering the bulb socket leads.
    I'm also ordering new phillips head screws to replace the slot head ones but I plan to keep all the original screws and other items in a bag with the game for easy reversal.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bruce

I would just lightly clean the back.

If you accidentally remove that red writing you can never get it original again.

Enemy of good.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/40s-united-pinball-machine-cleaning-question?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.