(Topic ID: 130381)

1949 United Mfg "Utah" woodrail cleaning & project

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UTAH Backbox Top (resized).jpg
    polyurethane.jpg
    20151023_213258.jpg
    20151023_211252.jpg
    20151013_201548.jpg
    58_gottlieb_posts.jpg
    20151005_202251.jpg
    20151005_202226.jpg
    20151004_212354.jpg
    20151004_212057.jpg
    20151004_204029.jpg
    20151004_203956.jpg
    20151004_210927.jpg
    20151004_201747.jpg
    20151004_202720.jpg
    20151004_194300.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

(I forget the name of it) pin

cotter pin or split pin

Do you have to remove the complete assembly to be able to access this pin?

Nope. Just bend the tines back together underneath the cap and pull the pin out. You'll need to remove the cap to access the screws holding the bumper body to the playfield anyway.

The pop bumper skirts seem chewed up. I'll call PBR tomorrow and see if Steve has new ones.

yes, they're chewed up, and yes Steve has them:

http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumpb.htm#skirts

Any other sources for these skirts?

Probably, but PBR has them...

It looks like I should get mylar for underneath the bumpers to protect that area?

Lots of folks do.

I assume I'll need to remove the bolts and unsolder to be able to remove the bumpers.

Should be two screws holding the bumper body to the playfield. Two hex nuts attaching the yoke to the ring posts. And then unsolder the bulb socket leads.

#45 8 years ago

I don't seem to be able to see or access the tines underneath the caps. It's like they're inside something.

Picture?

#51 8 years ago

Undo the yoke nuts first. I then like to remove the whole coil and bracket, so it's out of the way for unsoldering the socket leads (the coil/bracket will just dangle to the side, attached by the coil wires).

Unsoldering the socket leads isn't going to burn the bumper body.

But it looks like those bumper skirts may be the style with the graphite ring and not the spoon switch. PBR won't have that style (nor anyone else), so you may have to either modify the game to use spoon switches, or modify a new skirt to work with the graphite ring. I think there have been a couple threads here on that.

#55 8 years ago

I think you're talking about unsoldering the socket leads from underneath the playfield?

yes - that's where they're soldered.

#57 8 years ago

The graphite ring is the one on pop bumper body that comes down to push the ball away?

No, that's just the pop bumper ring.

What is the difference between the carbon and graphite rings?

Nothing. Folks are using 'carbon' and 'graphite' to describe the same ring (below the playfield).

I'm still not sure exactly where to unsolder

I've circled one socket lead in your picture. There should be another one on the other side. The leads poke down below the playfield and the wires attach there (with solder).

UtahSocket.jpgUtahSocket.jpg

#91 8 years ago

I am not sure if the wood apron is meant to be permanently bound to the playfield or not.

No, just nailed. The separation is probably from lifting up on the siderail to raise the playfield. Can (hopefully) squeeze it back together, no glue.

#115 8 years ago

Just play the game. Air and time will take care of the white soon enough.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/40s-united-pinball-machine-cleaning-question?tu=dirtflipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.