(Topic ID: 130381)

1949 United Mfg "Utah" woodrail cleaning & project

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

UTAH Backbox Top (resized).jpg
    polyurethane.jpg
    20151023_213258.jpg
    20151023_211252.jpg
    20151013_201548.jpg
    58_gottlieb_posts.jpg
    20151005_202251.jpg
    20151005_202226.jpg
    20151004_212354.jpg
    20151004_212057.jpg
    20151004_204029.jpg
    20151004_203956.jpg
    20151004_210927.jpg
    20151004_201747.jpg
    20151004_202720.jpg
    20151004_194300.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 8 years ago

Bruce, that game's a beauty and cleaned up nicely. Looks like a really fun player. Congrats!

#75 8 years ago

For the metal posts, it depends on the condition of the surrounding wood/ink. Yours look good - I would not risk damaging by removing the metal guides. Polish in place.

For the inserts, yes, I pop them out if completely loose or heat from below slowly with a hair dryer then push out. A couple of days of locktite gel in the blue bottle and push carefully into place ensuring level. Sets very quickly.

#77 8 years ago

I push out from the bottom, then reinsert from the top.

#81 8 years ago

Cards: you will likely destroy them by removing. Tread carefully if you would not like to print up new cards.

Rubber: you could take an xacto and slice a rubber open then in half. Nail it back using the same nails carefully removed. There may be a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Separation- the apron is tacked in place with many nails. One has worked its way loose. You'll have to inspect closely to see if the nail is broken or has simply backed out.

#93 8 years ago

Easiest is to lean against the backbox (at least for me).

I honestly don't use prop rods if I can avoid it. Had a bad experience, ha-ha.

#94 8 years ago

Oh, and the marbled posts are pretty standard through the mid-60s-ish. Apparently the plastic would not form a solid color for some reason, from the theories I've heard/read. I love the marbled coloring, but whatever caused it cannot be reproduced (again, heresay).

Regardless, be careful with your pop caps.

#102 8 years ago

My bad experience is not related to warping, I've dropped a playfield on my head. Only once! Learned my lesson.

Funny enough, I'd never really trusted them, and the one night I give it a shot, bam!

Felt pretty smart...

#106 8 years ago

It was scary for a minute or two, I won't lie. Minor head wound, but I was fine (once I pulled the bulb glass out of my scalp and calmed down). Playfield was fine as well, so no issues , except a healthy fear of the prop bar.

#117 8 years ago

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the white rubber... just leave it white. Too many variables in trying to change the hue. As Steve said, it was supposed to be white.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/40s-united-pinball-machine-cleaning-question?tu=bingopodcast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.