(Topic ID: 275154)

4050 needed on early Bally lamp driver board?

By slochar

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

The first versions of lamp driver boards for Bally and Stern have a 4050 buffer chip after the 4514 decoder - looks like it's hooked up to all the 106 scr's for the dual lamp capable ones. Is this chip needed? The later revision boards don't have it..... can a bad one just be replaced with jumper wires?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

can a bad one just be replaced with jumper wires?

I believe that's what some people do.

The 4050 has a higher output sink (logic low) current capability than the 4514, but that's not important in this application.
    The output source (logic high) current capabilities between the 4050 and 4514 isn't that much different (4050 spec is a little higher). So likely someone at Bally/Stern realised the 4514 decoder was capable of driving the SCR gate on its own and they removed the 4050 buffer chips from the circuit.

#3 3 years ago

I think I would leave the 4050 in there.
    Way back when these boards were made - the 4514's were dirt cheap and adding an output driver which provides a layer of protection to them had little return.
    Today - 4514's are obsolete and getting expensive.
    Add that 4050, it has a chance that it may protect the 4514 in the event of a catastrophe.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Today - 4514's are obsolete and getting expensive.

No kidding I just ordered 10 from you! Going through a large stack of lamp driver boards to get working ones.

#5 3 years ago

fwiw the 4514 decoders almost never fail in this circuit. Back when I did repair work I probably replaced less than 5 decoders out of hundreds of boards yet would go through tons of blown SCRs. 4050 are common and cheap tho. If just one circuit in the 4050 is bad could snip the bad legs off and stradle a zero ohm resistor or do something like the data buffers on WMS sys 6 where the entire chip is just jump'd input to out.

Odd thing is the aux lamp driver boards with 4013/4555 was pretty common to have those logic chips go bad.

TI is still making CD4514BM which is a SO24 surface mount version in the same pinout. You can use the SO24 to DIP24 mod boards in a pinch if the dip versions go completely obsolete / OOS.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4050-needed-on-early-bally-lamp-driver-board?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.