(Topic ID: 53429)

$4000 Plans, Advice?

By ink_blot

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

33bc94e1d35ae10750ed30a4b075eef8.jpg
    Cleaned-up-2.jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

This summer I'll have a little lump of cash to spend on a pinball machine. My budget will be $4000 and I'm wondering what would be best. I'm interested in DMDs from the 90s to early 00s. I know there's a lot of good options open. I could patiently search for a dirty player's quality Addams or Twilight Zone and have the fun of cleaning and fixing it (yes, I find that fun). Or I could get a very nice B title and have a nice budget to mod the hell out of it (which would also be fun). So I'd love to hear some suggestions and advice.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

TAF and TZ are great options in my opinion, I take it you have played them before and enjoyed them? If so, it is a no brainer.

#3 10 years ago

How much room do you have? I ask as there are several great early to mid 90's titles you could pickup and be able to get more than one machine for 4000 and still have fun doing what you talked about above but to more than one machine.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

How much room do you have? I ask as there are several great early to mid 90's titles you could pickup and be able to get more than one machine for 4000 and still have fun doing what you talked about above but to more than one machine.

I have literally no room. I'm getting rid of an extra couch we have around in order to make room for this machine.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

TAF and TZ are great options in my opinion, I take it you have played them before and enjoyed them? If so, it is a no brainer.

The thing about those two machines, and any other A title I may be able to get, is that since I pay a premium on pins as a result of living in Canada, the only TZ or TAF I could afford would be one that's literally falling apart. Of course my local pinball community is forever having new container sales of re-imports and so there's no short supply of terrible condition games

#6 10 years ago

I don't know what sort of game play you like, so it is hard to make recommendations. Have you tried either White Water or Star Trek: The Next Generation? They can be found for about $4k in reasonably good condition (don't know about the market in Canada, however).

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from ink_blot:

Or I could get a very nice B title and have a nice budget to mod the hell out of it (which would also be fun).

My advice would always be to stay away from this. IMO it's juts money throwing away that could go to another game. I mean modding is fine and a lot of things can enhance a game, but if you're going in to mod "the hell out of" a game that's a lot

#8 10 years ago

Depends on how your doing on space. do you have room for 10 games or 2? Makes a big difference. What have you played that you really enjoy? Tips for buying games.

1. Look to buy only what you've played extensively
    2. Only buy what you can look over play and pickup in person
    3. take your time and look for the right deals. More in a rush you are, the more your going to pay.

If you have room for 5 more games. I'd go with 3 or 4 B or C titles that are just as fun, if not more fun than 1 A title. Jurassic park is known as the poor mans addams family. Because it's mode based like TAF, and layout is very similar. you can get a JP for 2k or less, and have 2k + for another title or 2.

I'd stay away from modding a game as well. Your usually just throwing money out the window at that point. Because when it comes to selling, you lose your ass on mods. It's like selling a used car. The guy buying it, doesnt' give a shit if you just put in new ball joints last week. He's not paying $500 more because that's what you just spent.

#9 10 years ago

The thing about those two machines, and any other A title I may be able to get, is that since I pay a premium on pins as a result of living in Canada, the only TZ or TAF I could afford would be one that's literally falling apart. Of course my local pinball community is forever having new container sales of re-imports and so there's no short supply of terrible condition games

I picked up the Addams Family below a couple of weeks back, right around the top end of your budget. It was dirty as all hell but I could see the potential beneath the grime.

After cleaning it all up (which, like yourself, I enjoy doing) I'd like to think I did pretty well.

Point is, if you're patient, you may just find those games in "routed" condition from a local operator or something within your budget. Don't be afraid to ask around.

Cleaned-up-2.jpgCleaned-up-2.jpg

#10 10 years ago

1st choice - Pick any two:

JM, WCS, HS2, DM, JD, JP, SST, T2, BF, DrWho.

2nd Choice - Pick one:

STTNG - nothing else comes close at 4k (IMHO).

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

1st choice - Pick any two:
    JM, WCS, HS2, DM, JD, JP, SST, T2, BF, DrWho.
    2nd Choice - Pick one:
    STTNG - nothing else comes close at 4k (IMHO).

Absolutely go for the STTNG.

#12 10 years ago

Find a X-Men or Spiderman-may need a little more coin-My personal favorites

#13 10 years ago

There is a Creature for sale right now for $4,000

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

I don't know what sort of game play you like, so it is hard to make recommendations. Have you tried either White Water or Star Trek: The Next Generation? They can be found for about $4k in reasonably good condition (don't know about the market in Canada, however).

I've played Whitewater a fair bit at a local pinball convention and really liked it. I've never played STTNG but while the theme does absolutely nothing for me, I do like how diverse the layout looks.

#15 10 years ago

Any more opinions, suggestions, advice? I appreciate every bit of it!

#16 10 years ago

Buy at least two machines under your budget, do not go crazy with mods, just get new rubber, balls, LEDS (if that is something that appeals to you,) coil sleeves etc. If you buy one it will not be long before you want two. Its also best to save some cash in case the machine needs parts or needs to be repaired down the road.

#17 10 years ago

I guess nobody saw my earlier post, but I have no more room. There is room for one more pinball machine and that's it. I'm only looking to buy one machine, so two more machines, as great and versatile as that option may be, is out of the question. I already have a Flash Gordon to help with variety anyway.

I will be holding on to this machine as a permanent addition to my collection and that's why the whole idea of losing money in the long run on modding doesn't really bother me. I'm mainly looking for advice on A-titles or B-titles that would make a great addition to a very small collection.

On a side note, some games I've been considering:

I love Twilight Zone, but I don't know if the stop and go gameplay will hold it's appeal for the long term. I've also considered a nice whitewater to which I could later add lots of nice chrome, a colour DMD, and whatnot to create a modding masterpiece, or I could do the same with a roadshow (if colour dmd ever comes out for roadshow). STTNG looks very interesting and feature packed, but I'm not big on the theme. Addams Family I've never played in person, but I love the layout, rules, theme, and whatever else I can grasp from the Visual Pinball version, my only concern being that the rules are a tad shallower than the aforementioned games. All these possibilities weigh so closely in pros and cons that I'm just torn.

I'm open to any other game suggestions and advice relating to adding ONE pin to my collection.

#18 10 years ago

Ok. Even if you buy just one machine, I would not spend the entire 4k on a machine. Save some for things that you might want to add or do to the machine. Whatever you buy, if you decide that you want something else you could always trade or sell and get a new machine. I am torn between tons of machines, but there comes a time when you have to pull the trigger on one of them. I wish you the best with any machine that you choose. TZ, RS, WH2O,STTNG and AF are all winners in my book.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Ok. Even if you buy just one machine, I would not spend the entire 4k on a machine. Save some for things that you might want to add or do to the machine. Whatever you buy, if you decide that you want something else you could always trade or sell and get a new machine. I am torn between tons of machines, but there comes a time when you have to pull the trigger on one of them. I wish you the best with any machine that you choose. TZ, RS, WH2O,STTNG and AF are all winners in my book.

Thank you. And of course, if I end up buying one of the cheaper games (RS, WH2O) then I will absolutely be putting the extra cash towards some awesome upgrades. But if I do go with Twilight Zone or Addams, trust me at the prices they fetch here in Canada I will definitely have to spend the whole $4000 just on the machine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know any other B-list games like RS or WH2O worth looking into? The more I think about it the more I like the sound of a B-Lister I can mod to my heart's content.

#22 10 years ago

Buy a Demolition Man in good shape and save a grand or 2. I'm thinking about declaring this a 3k game soon so get one now. Keeping mine forever, but declaring it 3k. The pace, layout, modes, fun and challenge make this a fantastic game. Seriously, if you gave this game a more popular theme, it would be a classic fetching 7k. Also, if you like drinking lots and playing pinball, you can grab the gun handle flippers to prevent you from falling over. I'm still not sure why the flipper handles were not included in more games.

#23 10 years ago

If you are only getting 1 (so you say - I said the same thing), then I say find one that is hard to "beat", and one that you are going to enjoy playing and looking at and hearing- honestly!!
    Watch a ton of youtube videos and then watch them again with your back to the screen. I know it sounds stupid and I will get ribbed - but if you are only going to have 1 game, you better love every aspect of it!!
    Maybe there is a theme you like??

#24 10 years ago

A good B list title you could add would be a BSD, you'll thank me later.

#25 10 years ago

Well... its always easier to give recommendations when its someone else's money.

I would look for a BSD... wish I never sold mine or maybe a T2. Put some mods in them and bank the extra cash...

#26 10 years ago

IMHO there is no better $4k pin than ACDC pro. Its by far the most addictive pin i have ever owned, but you'll need to love insane speed and getting your ass kicked. The bell mod is a necessity as it greatly reduces SDTM's off the bell target.

Try and find an owner that sold one for any other reason than to "upgrade" to a Premium/LE. There's very, very few. And there's a reason for that. I've got a STTNG, I recently sold a Spiderman. Both are great games. ACDC pro is better.

#27 10 years ago

There aren't a lot of keeper pins out there, but if you are really looking for your keeper pin then you won't find it by asking for suggestions

Chances are if you don't have your keeper in mind already then whatever pin you pick up will be just a 'next pin' since you are space constrained.

Just curious, but say you found a golden ticket and could pick any machine... what is your grail pin?

#28 10 years ago

no good gofers

#29 10 years ago

Gofers is damn good. You can have a 2 minute game or 15 minute game. You can get 20 million on one ball, then drain the other two immediately, or suddenly wind up with 3 extra balls and play for 20 minutes.

STTNG is a great pin, but can be a ***** to maintain.

Tron is a nice pin too, but it's above your budget.

I think Whitewater is great, if you don't mind the advance river class repetitiveness. Still pretty fun. Lots of right flipper.

#30 10 years ago

Buy a boat instead.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Buy a boat instead.

That was my first "thumbs down" ever. Sorry, man! Just had to!

#32 10 years ago

Boat? Fish from shore. I like ACDC pro. Tspp. But as neo said. B c titles for less too.

33bc94e1d35ae10750ed30a4b075eef8.jpg33bc94e1d35ae10750ed30a4b075eef8.jpg

#33 10 years ago

Hey,

I will say The Simpsons Pinball Party. You might blow your whole stack of cash at once, but if you decide you like it, it'll stay for a LONG time, and if you don't, you'll get your money out of it.

Luke

#34 10 years ago

Fish Tales is a great pin for under 4K, I own one and it has good game play and fun theme (even if not a red neck, I'm not)

#35 10 years ago

If you can come up with a few hundred more, why not buy a NIB AC/DC or Metallica? They're both awesome pins and you will not have anything to worry about on them.

#36 10 years ago

You are in a bit of a gray area. 4K is quite a bit of dough, but you are almost in Pin limbo, you could get several FANTASTIC "B" titles but are a little limited on A.

As much as I hate to say it (since I'm trying to clear room and $$$) I would say go for the Creech. Unbelievable pin and you can score one for 4K with some luck, just dont be luckier than me

#37 10 years ago

Well I'd swear I posted but don't see it. You won't be happy with just 1 pin. Try to play some system 11s and see if they get it done for you. I have 5 pins and still haven't cracked $5K. I even have an RS, but the rest are system 11s. I've got speed and flow (Taxi), shaker and great theme (ES), great call outs and artwork(Cyclone), one of Lawlor's best (WW), and a RS (has pretty much anything you would ever want in a modern pin, but for ~$2.5K). Don't chase a pin. Wait for the deal to come to you. It will happen. I'd get bored to death if I only had 1, but they are all great pins.

Chris

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Well I'd swear I posted but don't see it. You won't be happy with just 1 pin. Try to play some system 11s and see if they get it done for you. I have 5 pins and still haven't cracked $5K. I even have an RS, but the rest are system 11s. I've got speed and flow (Taxi), shaker and great theme (ES), great call outs and artwork(Cyclone), one of Lawlor's best (WW), and a RS (has pretty much anything you would ever want in a modern pin, but for ~$2.5K). Don't chase a pin. Wait for the deal to come to you. It will happen. I'd get bored to death if I only had 1, but they are all great pins.
    Chris

I won't have only one pin. I still have my Flash Gordon for when I get that old school itch. I'm dying to get one of the 1990s B/W classics that I drool over at conventions. I've played countless system 11s and I love them the way I love all pinball, but I really want to make dreams reality here. Yes, system 11s are awesome, but it shouldn't be a rule that everyone is required to purchase a bunch of system 11s before owning a 90s DMD.

And of course I haven't yet ruled out getting a stunning roadshow and pocketing the rest for a later purchase.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

You are in a bit of a gray area. 4K is quite a bit of dough, but you are almost in Pin limbo, you could get several FANTASTIC "B" titles but are a little limited on A.
    As much as I hate to say it (since I'm trying to clear room and $$$) I would say go for the Creech. Unbelievable pin and you can score one for 4K with some luck, just dont be luckier than me

I've been checking out creech, I love the theme, art, sounds, etc, and considering all the little side modes and features, it's reasonably deep. I'm just wondering if that damn 2 ball multiball and the fact that it only has six shots will hurt replay value. I'd love to hear others' opinions about that, confirming or denying it.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Buy a boat instead.

Funnily enough, I took this seriously and did a good deal of research. It's an enticing option and could open up a whole new hobby for me. Of course I'd have to pony up double the cash to get anything I'd consider decent enough, but I must admit, I like the sound of boat ownership.

Maybe something to consider down the road, but I think I'll stick with pinball for now. Especially since I definitely don't have the storage space for a boat during our long canadian winters at the moment, and I don't really feel up to something where I'd have to pay fees for maintenance, storage, gas, engine repair, insurance, etc.

*And sorry everyone for the triple posting, I just find it so much easier to organize my ideas when I start each reply with a clean slate.*

#41 10 years ago

Creech is a nice game but watch the hologram. I would avoid any game that a main integral part is made from unobtanium. I would go for a game that is flat out fun to play. I sold my TZ and I really do not miss it and a Whirlwind sits in its spot. WAY more fun and not an "A" list. There are fun and undervalued games like WPT and WCS94 ( watch the ramps ). Going up in price WH20 is a great game IMHO and I always like GNR but never managed to drag one home. It really comes down to what you really like. I also avoid games without pops like JY or TS. I owned them both and not a big fan of either one.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from ink_blot:

Funnily enough, I took this seriously and did a good deal of research. It's an enticing option and could open up a whole new hobby for me. Of course I'd have to pony up double the cash to get anything I'd consider decent enough, but I must admit, I like the sound of boat ownership.
    Maybe something to consider down the road, but I think I'll stick with pinball for now. Especially since I definitely don't have the storage space for a boat during our long canadian winters at the moment, and I don't really feel up to something where I'd have to pay fees for maintenance, storage, gas, engine repair, insurance, etc.
    *And sorry everyone for the triple posting, I just find it so much easier to organize my ideas when I start each reply with a clean slate.*

I just sold my boat today. I'm planning on funding a new pin!! You know what they say about boat ownership. The two best days in a boat owners life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it.

#43 10 years ago

if affordable with your budget, try:
    ACDC Pro
    X-me Pro
    Simpsons
    LOTR

or a less expensive one (WPT, WCS94, BSD as suggested before...I would add Stargate, BBH, WoF, RoadShow, Shadow, JD, and Funhouse - the later is not a DMD, but as good as one).
    but I would not spend too much $$ "to mod the hell out of it". Might be difficult to get your money back when you sell it.

If you have space for only two pins, make sure you like the theme and gameplay first!

#44 10 years ago

I owned TZ and WH2O at the same with no other pins. I had the opportunity to buy a CV, but needed to make room so one (WH2O) had to go. That was 2.5 years ago.

One year ago I sold TZ as it wasn't getting played anymore. I originally thought that machine deserved respect due to how unique it was as well as the depth. Who cares? I still didn't play it anymore and that's what mattered most to me.

I missed WH2O ever since I sold it and thankfully I have a nice one being delivered tomorrow. This will be the most $$ I ever spent on a machine in the 7 years I've been doing this and it will be well worth it. It won't go anywhere this time around.

My opinion is if you have beginners in the home go with WH2O. TZ is difficult and gets unfun very quickly. Keep in mind TAF has no ball save so it's also tough in the home environment.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from hardware:

I owned TZ and WH2O at the same with no other pins. I had the opportunity to buy a CV, but needed to make room so one (WH2O) had to go. That was 2.5 years ago.
    One year ago I sold TZ as it wasn't getting played anymore. I originally thought that machine deserved respect due to how unique it was as well as the depth. Who cares? I still didn't play it anymore and that's what mattered most to me.
    I missed WH2O ever since I sold it and thankfully I have a nice one being delivered tomorrow. This will be the most $$ I ever spent on a machine in the 7 years I've been doing this and it will be well worth it. It won't go anywhere this time around.
    My opinion is if you have beginners in the home go with WH2O. TZ is difficult and gets unfun very quickly. Keep in mind TAF has no ball save so it's also tough in the home environment.

I have no issue with difficult games. In fact I'd like something with that level of ass-kicking difficulty that gives it that "just one more game!" quality.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from ink_blot:

I have no issue with difficult games. In fact I'd like something with that level of ass-kicking difficulty that gives it that "just one more game!" quality.

You already have that in spades with Flash Gordon. Purely my own opinion, but if space allows for only two pins, I would want them to be completely different from one another. From my experience, WH2O and Flash Gordon go pretty great together. One makes me smile -one makes me scowl- I love em both.

Oh, and WH2O has plenty of 'one more game' addictiveness to it.

#47 10 years ago

Okay I'm totalling up some positives and negatives.

Creech: Perfect theme, art, music, callouts, rules. Just wish it had a three ball multiball and maybe more shot variety. Price is high but possible.

Addams: Perfect theme, music, callouts, layout. Art isn't stellar, rules aren't that deep and the wizard mode isn't the best. Price is high but (maybe) possible.

Twilight: Perfect theme, art, music, callouts, rules, layout. Just pretty damn sure it's out of my price range, and the stop and go might kill replay value (maybe, I'm not sure). Price is high and probably impossible.

WH2O: Perfect art, music, rules, layout. Callouts aren't the kind of "stuck in your head" (in a good way) callouts that any of the others above has. Theme isn't bad, but isn't spectacular. Price is good.

STTNG: Perfect music, rules, layout. Theme doesn't really do it for me, but gameplay is quite good. Price is high but (maybe) possible.

Funhouse: Perfect art, music. Good layout, theme, callouts. Rudy kinda creepy. Rules relatively shallow since it's older. Price is about the same as whitewater these days, might as well get that one.

Roadshow: Perfect layout, rules, music. Red and Ted kinda creepy. Theme not perfect, but not bad. Price is good.

Simpsons Pinball Party: Perfect theme, music, callouts, rules. Great but not perfect layout. Only problem is I used to play this game non-stop in a local bar (it was in good condition) and I know for a fact that it becomes a chore to play and the annoying stop and go at the Otto loop drove me nuts! Price high but (maybe) possible.

Sidenote: These are the main games I'm considering at this point. Not a big enough fan of the newer Sterns like ACDC or Tron to want to buy them. Have my heart set on something DMD era. Not a fan of Data East. I like certain Segas but I really want to snag one of the famed B/W 90s classics.

All games listed above (except Funhouse, cause there are better games for the price IMO) are very closely matched in my mind. I'm still totally open to hearing opinions about any of these games. I especially love it when people who've owned multiple games from this list tell of how they compare.

#48 10 years ago

My dumb 2 cents is buy the first game that has at least some appeal but more important has intrinsic value. The kind of value that if you wake up tomorrow and want it gone, all it would take is a CG ad to do it and you would not lose money. Since space is a premium for you this appears to be the best strategy. The important part is to be patient and ONLY BUY if a good deal! Either you hit a keeper the first time out or you are able to flip out of a few pins along the way until you find your gem and not lose money while doing it

Just my dumb 2 cents

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad:

My dumb 2 cents is buy the first game that has at least some appeal but more important has intrinsic value. The kind of value that if you wake up tomorrow and want it gone, all it would take is a CG ad to do it and you would not lose money. Since space is a premium for you this appears to be the best strategy. The important part is to be patient and ONLY BUY if a good deal! Either you hit a keeper the first time out or you are able to flip out of a few pins along the way until you find your gem and not lose money while doing it
    Just my dumb 2 cents

I'm more into enjoying pinball than cutting my losses. I don't really care about speculative future market value or anything like that. I care about getting a game I'll love and any financial loss incurred through it's purchase and (unlikely) later sale, or through the purchasing of mods and chroming etc is just a part of the hobby. I'd prefer to buy pins because they're fun, not because they're investments. I already have plenty of investments, and none of them are "fun".

#50 10 years ago

Ok whatever. My point was that you are so, so, so undecided that you are seeking advice here. Well, if that is the case then protect yourself and flip until your finally playing the one you really enjoy and know is the keeper. While doing so try to protect your "core value "since erosion of it will reduce the amount of times to flip and ultimately reduces your potential to "Land the one" that you really want to keep!

Peace

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4000-plans and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.