(Topic ID: 135647)

$400 wide body lock bar??? Worth it?? Yowsa!

By Warbound

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Warbound
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM01705.jpg
    CAM01704.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider not4tilts.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

TAFG's lockdown bars were made differently than the regular brass plated bars that came later. the receiver latch was epoxied onto the brass bar and as they were made of 2 different metals they are impossible to plate. If you try and brass plate the bar the acid will etch through the brass and destroy it.
    some people need to have everything original, and i guess there's a price for that.

I just had this conversation with Mike C. I wanted him to brass my TAFG and TOM. He suggested that to keep things original for the TAFG that I use the original brass lockdown even though it is a softer metal and more susceptible to dings. I sent him both lockdowns and just received them back two days ago. They both look beautiful of course. He did not think there was any difference between the two in long term finish wear.

1 week later
    #21 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

so he just polished the TAFG lockdown bar? or did he successfully re-plate it?

He did re-plate it. I can't tell the difference between it and the TOM lockdown he did for me - other than the difference with the epoxied receiver latch.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from not4tilts:

He did re-plate it. I can't tell the difference between it and the TOM lockdown he did for me - other than the difference with the epoxied receiver latch.

I should be careful here because I don't actually know this. In thinking about it more why would you re-plate it if it is already solid brass. I'll have to ask him??

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider not4tilts.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/400-wide-body-lock-bar-worth-it-yowsa?tu=not4tilts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.