• Latest reply 5 years ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2nd game bkgls (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Working on a Gottlieb 4-Square and looking for advice on two questions. First, the normal wiring for the flashing name lights behind the back glass has them coming on only after a game. They shut off during the game, and they are off when the game is first turned on. I would really like the lights to be on all the time. Does anyone see a problem with soldering a jump wire from the main back glass lights, to the flashing name lights?

Second, pic of the back glass is attached. There is a pretty fair amount of flaking on the faces in the back glass. I triple thicked it to stabilize the ink. Debating whether to tackle touching up the areas with paint loss. My skills at touch up are fair at best. Have done ok with play fields, but have only done light touch up on a couple of back glasses. Suggestions?

2nd game bkgls (resized).JPG2nd game bkgls (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Bumping ---- could really use some advice on both questions. Also if anyone has a backglass for sale...... Know I can get a reproduction, but would prefer a decent condition original.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

I would really like the lights to be on all the time. Does anyone see a problem with soldering a jump wire from the main back glass lights, to the flashing name lights?

As long as you don't jumper the wrong wires and short the transformer winding you should be ok. You could also find the switch that turns these lights on and tie its solder lugs together. Whatever mod you make consider leaving a label or some other hint for anyone working on the game in the future.

I've not touched up backglasses, but I suspect that matching the translucence of the existing ink will be very difficult. What looks good when illuminated from the front will likely not look good when illuminated from behind and vice versa.

If you're handy with Photoshop or Gimp you might have better luck taking a good scan, cleaning it up and having a translight made. It may end up being cheaper than a reproduction, but you probably get what you pay for in this case.

/Mark

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

As long as you don't jumper the wrong wires and short the transformer winding you should be ok. You could also find the switch that turns these lights on and tie its solder lugs together. Whatever mod you make consider leaving a label or some other hint for anyone working on the game in the future.
I've not touched up backglasses, but I suspect that matching the translucence of the existing ink will be very difficult. What looks good when illuminated from the front will likely not look good when illuminated from behind and vice versa.
If you're handy with Photoshop or Gimp you might have better luck taking a good scan, cleaning it up and having a translight made. It may end up being cheaper than a reproduction, but you probably get what you pay for in this case.
/Mark

Mark, thanks - hadn't thought about leaving note, but good idea. With being home use, not having the name lights on until after a game is over, means they are rarely on. Tried it with a temp jumper wire and seemed to work ok. Just wasn't sure of any long term affects.

As for backglass touch up. I have tried a couple of times in small areas with mixed results. So was really struggling with how to do this big an area. But hadn't thought about scanning. Which is kind of dumb as I made my own back glass for a Triple Action from just a photograph from another owner. Will look into that idea. Have a friend who might be able to do a full size scan. Thanks again.

#6 5 years ago

Wow nice work. Might be beyond my skill set. But worth considering. And if I replace the existing glass, won’t destroy the old one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4-square-name-lights-back-glass-touch-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.