Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bangerjay
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1BDF797E-EFDF-4779-ACEB-AE448E089DAE (resized).png
    IMG_20190911_215812.jpg
    PB060408 (resized).JPG
    PC020225 (resized).JPG
    PC020224 (resized).JPG
    PC020220 (resized).JPG
    PC020216 (resized).JPG
    PC020219 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20200207-113730 (resized).png
    image (1) (resized).jpeg
    pinball cad 1 (resized).JPG
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Hello there pinball enthusiasts! I had an idea recently for a project I want to try to build that's a bit different than anything else I've seen, but still relatively similar to a few ideas I've seen online. Essentially it is a 4-sided, 4 player, fully mechanical pinball table. The top surface would be a pyramid with a square base and an angle of roughly 7 degrees, if my understanding of how steep pinball play fields generally are is correct. All four sides would be interconnected, and the goal would be to keep the ball out of your side and try to get it into other's. I'm currently thinking that there will be a plunger at 2 of the corners, and the plan is that each plunger will be shared by two sides. I'm still working on figuring out how I'm going to get the ball to roll into the corner to be ready to be launched. Currently the plan is to make it primarily out of wood. I'm also thinking it will be roughly 3 feet by 3 feet. I'm actually thinking of doing it for a project in my engineering class at school, and I have a few months to build it, along with a group of 3 other people and access to the lab's laser cutter, table saw, 3D printers, CNC, and other tools. I'll attach some images below, two of them being some rough sketches of the concept (no obstacles or anything included yet), and one of them being a 2 player fully mechanical table I found online that is similar to my concept. Do any of you see any major flaws with a concept like this, or have any advice? Do you know if a four sided table like this has been constructed before? Thanks!

image (1) (resized).jpegimage (1) (resized).jpegmaxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpgpinball cad 1 (resized).JPGpinball cad 1 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

Have you looked at or played any cocktail pinball machines before? Those might give you some ideas of what you could do with a smaller playfield.

What would happen if there are less than 4 players playing? Will there be a gate or post that pops up to prevent the ball from draining on a side where there is no player playing?

One interesting idea might be to have a magnet in the center (which is activated by something else), and can fling or redirect the ball at random.

One gameplay mechanic found on War is that when a player hits a certain target, it disables their opponent's flippers for a few seconds.

Have you considered multiball? I'm kind of getting a "hungy hungy hippos" vibe with 4 player spots.

#3 4 years ago

There's without doubt those on here that would like this idea but, I didn't even care for Joust so I would not be a fan.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cutout:

Do any of you see any major flaws with a concept like this

Needing 3 other people that want to play.

Flipper button placement.

Sharing the plunger.

#6 4 years ago

There's a 4 sided pinball but only 1 player at a time.

Finding 4 to play would be the biggest issue

#7 4 years ago

Or you could have a 3 way!

#8 4 years ago

This looks like a good candidate for timed play rather than trying to count how many balls drained where.

For unoccupied sides, look at what Alvin G. & Co. did with their switch-flippers. They were addressing the same issue.

Instead of plungers, how about lifting the ball to the apex and putting some randomness/spin in its movement? That idea came from Chicago Coin hockey arcade games.

I think each side needs a projecting part of the cabinet that is the normal pinball width, with flipper buttons on it. The playfield does not need to extend into the projecting part, it's just to give the player a normal feel when operating the game. (Unlike Rotation VIII, where the flipper buttons are placed at an uncomfortable 135-degree angle, and shared.)

In Rotation VIII, the players took turns. In Alvin G. head-to-head games and that triple Jungle Lord, players play simultaneously. Your idea about the rules seems to be simultaneous, and in a hockey mentality. Has anyone tried a 4-sided air hockey game? How do those play?
    .................David Marston

#9 4 years ago

I used to own a Spectra IV for a number of years. Four players but only one played at a time then you hand rotated it to the next player without getting up from your seat. It was cool for a while but it took up a lot of real estate.

John

PC020216 (resized).JPGPC020216 (resized).JPGPC020219 (resized).JPGPC020219 (resized).JPGPC020220 (resized).JPGPC020220 (resized).JPGPC020224 (resized).JPGPC020224 (resized).JPGPC020225 (resized).JPGPC020225 (resized).JPG
    #10 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

There's a 4 sided pinball but only 1 player at a time.
    Finding 4 to play would be the biggest issue

Quoted from ForceFlow:

What would happen if there are less than 4 players playing? Will there be a gate or post that pops up to prevent the ball from draining on a side where there is no player playing?

I played a few games on a 4-player air hockey table on location last weekend (great fun!), which used solenoid-actuated metal flaps to block the unused goals during 2 or 3 player games, so I am sure something along these lines could be implemented fairly easily.

I REALLY like this idea! 4-player air hockey is a blast, but the footprint required for the table + space for players is COLOSSAL. A 4-player pin would offer a similar (likely even better) experience, but with square-footage demands more in line with a home or crowded bar environment.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

I played a few games on a 4-player air hockey table on location last weekend...

How does the scoring work?
    .................David Marston

#12 4 years ago

As somebody who recently build a custom 2 player head2head pinball machine let me tell you one thing: Building a two player machine is at least double the effort and takes double the time and money than a single player machine. I would guess it's worse for a four player machine because there is even less stuff which you can use off the self. Our BOM is over 10k. I would expect a four player machine to be over 20k (unless you build a pure mechanical machine).

That said it can absolutely be done. Just takes time, money and sweat. I run an open source project to program pinball machines and we support multi-player machines (http://missionpinball.org/). My machine runs it and there is currently a guy reprogramming a Joust with it too.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

As somebody who recently build a custom 2 player head2head pinball machine

Pictures please

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I used to own a Spectra IV for a number of years. Four players but only one played at a time then you hand rotated it to the next player without getting up from your seat. It was cool for a while but it took up a lot of real estate.
    John[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

John, is there a single cool pinball item that you haven’t owned? I’m almost expecting you to show photos of a pin that raises up from the floor!

#15 4 years ago

If a pool table can be done, a pinball for surely could be done.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

John, is there a single cool pinball item that you haven’t owned? I’m almost expecting you to show photos of a pin that raises up from the floor!

I've not had one that raises up from the floor (not yet anyways but tomorrow is another day) but I did have one that raised a lot of stink.
    John

PB060408 (resized).JPGPB060408 (resized).JPG
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I've not had one that raises up from the floor (not yet anyways but tomorrow is another day) but I did have one that raised a lot of stink.
    John[quoted image]

Wow, that photo belongs in the pinball horror pics thread! Or maybe a Gottlieb Zombie Pin Attack thread!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Pictures please

IMG_20190911_215812.jpgIMG_20190911_215812.jpg
    #19 4 years ago

I thought of something similar, and have some ideas:

Have the players sit at the corners, rather than along the flat side. This will make placement of flipper buttons easier to operate.

When the ball drains have it run down a tube/subway to the centre of the table, and then lifted by an Archimedes screw to come out of the top centre.
    Each tube from the drain has a switch which is triggered as the ball rolls to the centre - thus keeping a track of each no. of balls lost by each player. Thus reducing the number of mechs required to get the ball back into play.

Alternatively, rather than 4 subways, have them loop under the playfield in a spiral configuration, with a switch as soon as the ball joins the subway. By the number of switches triggered you can work out which flippers the ball drained past.

#20 4 years ago

Hmm

1BDF797E-EFDF-4779-ACEB-AE448E089DAE (resized).png1BDF797E-EFDF-4779-ACEB-AE448E089DAE (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4-sided-pinball-table?hl=jabdoa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.