20141109_183127.jpg
20141109_181621.jpg
20141109_181627.jpg
20141109_002102.jpg
20141108_192631.jpg
20141108_192624.jpg
20141108_192622.jpg
314571.JPG
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Ok, yes I joined the EM world and Yes I am lost. I am trying to get the 10 points to move. They reset fine but when a 10 point switch is activated nothing. I looked back there, I know I need to clean them but it wasn't so bad that it shouldn't move. The plunger for that real was screaming hot so I think the coil is getting stuck on? Some tips please?

#2 9 years ago

If a coil is sticking on then either the switch associated with it is sticking on and/or an EOS switch isn't working properly to kill to power to the associated relay/coil.

Do you have a schematic?

If it is resetting then we know the coil works. Reset the game and see what happens. Then manually score a 10 point target and tell us what happens with the 10 point relay and the coil on the score reel.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

If a coil is sticking on then either the switch associated with it is sticking on and/or an EOS switch isn't working properly to kill to power to the associated relay/coil.
Do you have a schematic?
If it is resetting then we know the coil works. Reset the game and see what happens. Then manually score a 10 point target and tell us what happens with the 10 point relay and the coil on the score reel.

I do actually have a schematic, that sucker is huge and looks like an old treasure map, found it in the cabinet. I reset it last night and hit a 10 point switch on the playfield. I could audibly hear a loud buzzing from what it seemed like under the playfield. (Again I am sorry, I have no idea with EMs but from what I can tell there is a very intricate systems of switches that need to go from one to another)

#4 9 years ago

Can you post the segment that shows the path of the ten point relay?

#5 9 years ago

I'll be happy to. I will be home in roughly an hour and a half. (I'll have to decipher it, I'm not a big schematic guy) I am excited about working on this one. There is something zenfull about all of these switches and coils instead of boards.

#6 9 years ago

I actually think I might know what it is...
The pop bumper ring has broke off the assemby rod and is laying on the skirt. If that is activating the switch that would cause it to lock on right? It is a 10 point score as well.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I actually think I might know what it is...
The pop bumper ring has broke off the assemby rod and is laying on the skirt. If that is activating the switch that would cause it to lock on right? It is a 10 point score as well.

If after you start the game it immediately locks on, you're probably on the right track. Locked on switch, and since you said the buzzing you heard is under the p/f, even more probably.

Obviously, pull the ring off the skirt and see if the buzzing stops. Then see if other 10 point switches score correctly.

If it didn't toast the bumper coil, even better.

It would definitely cause the score reel coil plunger to be hot.

#8 9 years ago

I also just wanted to let you know that those old Williams reverse wedgeheads just totally suck and aren't worth your time or effort to fix.

I'd be interested in taking it off your hands to ease your burden here.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I also just wanted to let you know that those old Williams reverse wedgeheads just totally suck and aren't worth your time or effort to fix.
I'd be interested in taking it off your hands to ease your burden here.

It will make you more upset if you knew what I paid for it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-free-ems-4-roses-and-surf-champ

#10 9 years ago

as I said before, I've been messing with these games for over 40 years, and have never had a deal like that fall in my lap. And you just absolutely waltz into one. Completely and totally sucks. I used to own a surf champ, great game.

#11 9 years ago

That's all that is out here are EMs and the only person could repair them but he just recently died. Very sweet old man.

Now games are free all over. I was given a Gottlieb Soccer as well, haven't picked it up yet.

#12 9 years ago

Ok sorry about that, my dad decided he wanted rearrange all the furniture in his house last minute and I got to help.

Removing the ring did nothing. One thing I thought was interesting is hitting one out lane makes a different noise than the other.
Here are the schematics starting at top left and going clockwise.

20141106_195636-918.jpg20141106_195636-918.jpg 20141106_195644-360.jpg20141106_195644-360.jpg 20141106_195649-535.jpg20141106_195649-535.jpg 20141106_195659-425.jpg20141106_195659-425.jpg 20141106_195705-519.jpg20141106_195705-519.jpg 20141106_195710-830.jpg20141106_195710-830.jpg 20141106_195713-261.jpg20141106_195713-261.jpg
#13 9 years ago

I can zoom into a certain area for sure, just didn't know which area we were supposed to be looking at.

#14 9 years ago

So you removed the ring and something is still locking up underneath the playfield? Can you find what it is?

There is definitely an EOS switch on the score reel that is associated with the 10 point relay.

You've got a stuck switch somewhere. I'm positive of that. Where is the issue.

#15 9 years ago

Stuck scoring switch is the first place I would look.

I'm not as familiar with the Williams games but I would look at the switch set up on 10's score relay also. In a Gottlieb game this relay can hold itself on if not set up correctly.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

So you removed the ring and something is still locking up underneath the playfield? Can you find what it is?
There is definitely an EOS switch on the score reel that is associated with the 10 point relay.
You've got a stuck switch somewhere. I'm positive of that. Where is the issue.

Yes, I played with the ring and it wasn't hitting enought for the switch to be activated. I removed it anyways and nothing changed. I will have to dive into it late tonight or tomorrow. Any other suggestions to look at?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Stuck scoring switch is the first place I would look.
I'm not as familiar with the Williams games but I would look at the switch set up on 10's score relay also. In a Gottlieb game this relay can hold itself on if not set up correctly.

I couldn't read the schematic he posted on here really well, but from what I could see on the 10 point relay, it has a lock in switch on the relay and there is an EOS switch involved, looked like it would be the 10-90 point drum (which is logically where it should be, just like a Gottlieb).

When you get into it, try and find where you're hearing either a locked on coil or solenoid. That's the starting point. Pull the 10s reel out and see also if there is an end of stroke switch on there-it appears from the schematic that it's a normally open switch that would close when the reel moves. On Gottliebs they're normally closed and they open to kill the circuit. There's a crease in the schematic and a stain and it's hard to see the switch state there.

#18 9 years ago

It is hard to see ,but it looks like some advance relay E.O.S are involved with some other contacts that are not legible.

Maybe the O.P. can load a better scan of this area.

314571.JPG314571.JPG
#19 9 years ago

I will get a zoom in on those schematics hopefully, thanks.

The buzzing coil is the relay. It is stuck on. When I manually seperate the switches. The buzzing stips and the score reel moves. When I do it 10 times the 100 also gets locked on until Iess with the 10 switch again. What next?

Also, it appears that I'm missing my credit reel

20141108_192622.jpg20141108_192622.jpg 20141108_192624.jpg20141108_192624.jpg 20141108_192631.jpg20141108_192631.jpg
#20 9 years ago

OMG, that's like brand new. First thing i would do is make sure the wire colours are the same as the schematic. That it is wire correctly.
the bottom SW, should be open, is it?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

OMG, that's like brand new. First thing i would do is make sure the wire colours are the same as the schematic. That it is wire correctly.
the bottom SW, should be open, is it?

Yes, it is open, just a weird angle. It is pretty clean in there, of course I am missing the credit reel, that kind of pisses me off but it was free. (I was wondering how it was in free play)

20141109_002102.jpg20141109_002102.jpg
#22 9 years ago

No switch is stuck on that I could find...

#23 9 years ago

According to the schematic, there are seven switches that will activate the 10 pt relay, and an eighth that will lock it on.

A quick test to determine if it's the 10pt relay lock-in path or a 10 pt scoring feature is to observe if the 10 pt relay activates and locks on as soon as the game is started. If it does, then it's one of the seven switches that feed the 10pt relay for scoring.

If it doesn't, then manually pressing the 10pt relay should have it hold on momentarily and step the score reel, then turn off. If manually pressing it activates it keeps it locked on, then the end of stroke (EOS) switch on the 10 pt score reel isn't changing state.

The seven switches that activate the 10pt relay are:
- switch on the 50 pt relay
- Red Advance step up unit EOS switch
- Yellow Advance step up unit EOS switch
- Two different standup switches
- switch on the 1pt relay (will be in conjunction with the 9th position switch on the 1's reel)
- make/break switch on the 'On Bumper' relay

In addition to checking the contact point ends of these seven switches, also check the back tabs for them being bent and touching.

Can also block all seven switches with a bit of paper to see which path is the one activating the 10pt relay.

#24 9 years ago

I believe the problem has to do with the Red and yellow advances. These are the stepper switches that I said make different noises. Activating a 10 switch on the pf I see a small arc on both of these switches but that is where it stops.

And to answer your question, the 10point relay gets stuck on at startup.

20141109_181627.jpg20141109_181627.jpg 20141109_181621.jpg20141109_181621.jpg
#25 9 years ago

Those are the red/yellow advance relays.

What you're looking for are the red/yellow advance stepper units. There will probably be a drive arm to step the cam, and at the end of the arm will be a switch that closes when the arm is at the end of stroke.

#26 9 years ago

These things?

20141109_183127.jpg20141109_183127.jpg
#27 9 years ago

Wow, that head looks cherry inside!

#28 9 years ago

Those are likely them (see if they're labeled). On the side with the coil, look for a switch that closes when the drive arm or plunger moves to the end of its stroke.

#29 9 years ago

Here are the labels. When I turn it on, one plunger goes in, the other does not but I saw it reset itself.

20141109_205958.jpg20141109_205958.jpg 20141109_210047.jpg20141109_210047.jpg
#30 9 years ago

So the Yellow Advance pulls in and stays in? That's bad. It should release after making a step. If it stays stuck on, then its EOS switch will stay stuck closed, and cause the 10pt relay to stay stuck on.

Now need to look at the schematic to see what activates the Yellow Advance step up unit itself.

Does the Yellow Advance Relay also activate and stay active? (Assuming it's what causes the Yellow Advance to step.)

Just need to keep debugging 'upstream' from each of these.

- Advance unit is stuck on, so what causes it to activate?
- If it's the advance relay, then is the relay on? If yes, then what causes the relay to activate?

check all the switches that award a Yellow advance (like the left rollover down by the left flipper) and see if any are stuck closed.

#31 9 years ago

That machine looks like brand new, wow!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

That machine looks like brand new, wow!

Quoted from jrpinball:

Wow, that head looks cherry inside!

Quoted from Chrisbee:

OMG, that's like brand new.

You guys keep saying that, I guess I got lucky. I have only been inside two other EMs and I don't remember what the guts looked like. As far as I know, this game has been sitting in a garage not working for close to a quarter of a century so I guess that helps.

#33 9 years ago

Did you find the problem yet? Are you sure there isn't a 10 point switch stuck somewhere?

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Did you find the problem yet? Are you sure there isn't a 10 point switch stuck somewhere?

Still nothing yet, I haven't looked at it since DirtFlipper's last tip. I have checked every single switch on the playfield and on the 1 point relay in the back box. On the playfield there were only a few touching and those were the scoring switches on the Pop Bumpers that should be Normally Closed. Other than that, I had none that were touching. The Advance Steppers, I still have not figured out how they work or even what they do so that's where I need to focus I guess.

#35 9 years ago

Still nothing yet, I haven't looked at it since DirtFlipper's last tip. I have checked every single switch on the playfield and on the 1 point relay in the back box. On the playfield there were only a few touching and those were the scoring switches on the Pop Bumpers that should be Normally Closed. Other than that, I had none that were touching. The Advance Steppers, I still have not figured out how they work or even what they do so that's where I need to focus I guess.

Uhh, scoring switches on pop bumpers most definitely should NOT be normally closed. Scoring on pop bumpers happenes when the ball moves the skirt, which moves the spoon switch to close it, which activates the bumper coil. The rod and ring assembly pulls down and the yokes on the assembly contact the scoring switch and close it.

#36 9 years ago

Are you sure those switches are normally closed? On those old Williams games, the fiber yoke kept that switch open, and when the pop activated it allowed the switch to close.

#37 9 years ago

The Yellow Bumper switch should be normally open. When closed, it activates the Yellow Advance Relay, which in turn steps the Yellow Advance Unit (and the 10pt relay).

So if the yellow pop bumper switch is stuck closed, then the whole sequence will wedge.

#38 9 years ago

It must be the EOS then. I always assumed that the top switch was for activating the coil and the bottom switch (the one seperated when the Yoke hits it) was for the score but it must be an EOS. Now I know.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

The rod and ring assembly pulls down and the yokes on the assembly contact the scoring switch and close it.

I guess I need to look at it again, I am thinking about the process so much I am confusing myself now. But that is how all 3 of my pop bumpers are.

#40 9 years ago

In the picture above of the 100 point relay, it sure looks to me like the bottom switch is closed. That switch should be normally open.

#41 9 years ago

I believe the problem has to do with the Red and yellow advances. These are the stepper switches that I said make different noises. Activating a 10 switch on the pf I see a small arc on both of these switches but that is where it stops.
And to answer your question, the 10point relay gets stuck on at startup.

20141109_181627.jpg 501 KB

20141109_181621.jpg 383 KB

Second picture down, switch on the left side should be n/c when the relay is not pulled in.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

In the picture above of the 100 point relay, it sure looks to me like the bottom switch is closed. That switch should be normally open.

All three of the relays are okay. It is hard to tell in the photos because they are all so close to becoming closed and no matter what angle I take the photo, one or two always look closed.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

Second picture down, switch on the left side should be n/c when the relay is not pulled in.

This one is hard to follow I apologize. If the coil for the 10 point relay in the backbox is stuck on, this one should remain open?

#43 9 years ago

You posted a picture of a relay with Yellow Advance relay to the right of it. It is the second picture posted in that particular post. It might not be part of the problem but it is definitely not adjusted correctly. Might be the red advance relay, since I can't see a label.

The relay is not engaged. It has four switches on it. The switch on the very left side is open, it should be closed. The short blade is to the left of the long blade. When the relay pulls in, the long blade will go to the right and open that switch while the other three close. The relay right next to it has the exact same setup and the left switch is closed.

The relay that I'm talking about that has what appears to be a closed switch that should be open is right below the 100 point label. I blew the picture up and there might be a micron of opening there, but I'd adjust that switch to open it up a bit. Even if it is open, it's way too close.

The bane of EMs are switches that appear to be making but aren't, and switches that don't appear to be making but are.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

You posted a picture of a relay with Yellow Advance relay to the right of it. It is the second picture posted in that particular post. It might not be part of the problem but it is definitely not adjusted correctly. Might be the red advance relay, since I can't see a label.

The relay is not engaged. It has four switches on it. The switch on the very left side is open, it should be closed. The short blade is to the left of the long blade. When the relay pulls in, the long blade will go to the right and open that switch while the other three close. The relay right next to it has the exact same setup and the left switch is closed.

Okay, I got it, one closed and 3 open when game is in rest? The closed one being on the outside.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

The relay that I'm talking about that has what appears to be a closed switch that should be open is right below the 100 point label. I blew the picture up and there might be a micron of opening there, but I'd adjust that switch to open it up a bit. Even if it is open, it's way too close.

The bane of EMs are switches that appear to be making but aren't, and switches that don't appear to be making but are.

I can adjust that. Thank you.

#45 9 years ago

Okay, I got it, one closed and 3 open when game is in rest? The closed one being on the outside.

I can adjust that. Thank you.

Yes. Adjusting switches is pretty easy to figure out. The switches always have to change state. When you manually work a relay and see that a switch isn't changing state, then you just have to figure out where it should be when the relay engages.

If the short blade is on the side that is the same as the relay will go when it engages, it should be normally open. If the short blade is on the opposite side of the way the relay will travel, it should be normally closed. Make/breaks work the same way, one side will be open and the other closed, and it will reverse when the relay engages.

That's one thing about EMs. If you were to go through every relay and switch and every single relay and switch was properly adjusted, then the game theorically should function properly. And the thing is, it only takes one, sometimes two, to really foul a game up.

I don't know that you should do that as you haven't worked on these much, but just manually working the relays and seeing what the switches do is fairly simple and straightforward. Don't go adjusting everything, just look for the ones that are obviously incorrect.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Yes. Adjusting switches is pretty easy to figure out. The switches always have to change state. When you manually work a relay and see that a switch isn't changing state, then you just have to figure out where it should be when the relay engages.
If the short blade is on the side that is the same as the relay will go when it engages, it should be normally open. If the short blade is on the opposite side of the way the relay will travel, it should be normally closed. Make/breaks work the same way, one side will be open and the other closed, and it will reverse when the relay engages.
That's one thing about EMs. If you were to go through every relay and switch and every single relay and switch was properly adjusted, then the game theorically should function properly. And the thing is, it only takes one, sometimes two, to really foul a game up.
I don't know that you should do that as you haven't worked on these much, but just manually working the relays and seeing what the switches do is fairly simple and straightforward. Don't go adjusting everything, just look for the ones that are obviously incorrect.

Heading home now to take a look at a few things. I want to thank everyone for their patience with me. I have been doing pins for 3 years or so but these EMs I can't figure out but I need to know them. Out here there is no tech but I am getting calls from all kinds of households with people begging me to help them fix their momentos/heirlooms and most are EMs. I help with what I know on the playfields but when it comes to score mechs I am lost and cannot help them. This is one of the main reasons I took on these two games.

Thanks again.

#47 9 years ago

I've had similar issues and ended up fixing by cleaning the contacts in the backbox. I've also had to pay a tech locally and he found that one of my relay stacks was broken and proceeded to make it right then and there. That game had been messed with previously while yours looks cherry so I'm guessing it's in need of cleaning/adjusting. I know it's a no-no but I use an emery board. Safe bet is a business card.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from AZDbacker:

I've had similar issues and ended up fixing by cleaning the contacts in the backbox. I've also had to pay a tech locally and he found that one of my relay stacks was broken and proceeded to make it right then and there. That game had been messed with previously while yours looks cherry so I'm guessing it's in need of cleaning/adjusting. I know it's a no-no but I use an emery board. Safe bet is a business card.

On an EM, really a flexstone or 600 grit sandpaper is probably better. A business card is great for SS/DMD games due to the gold flashed contacts but on EMs, it won't work quite as well.

#49 9 years ago

1. Pop bumper resting
2. Pop bumper activated (I took this with my nose)
3. Video of one of the steppers when a 10 point is hit. It barely moves and the switch isn't affected at all. This is the only switch I see on here. First ding is me missing the switch.

Watch "4 Roses Advance Stepper" on YouTube
4 Roses Advance Stepper:

20141110_174857.jpg20141110_174857.jpg 20141110_174907-531.jpg20141110_174907-531.jpg
#50 9 years ago

Are either of the Yellow or Red Advance relays stuck on?

In the video, the Yellow Advance stepper unit no longer has the plunger pulled in like it did in the picture you posted previously.

Pop bumper looks OK.

Definitely has quite the hum going.

If nothing else, can start going through each of the seven switches I listed above that activate the 10pt relay. One of them must be closed.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4-roses-score-mech-help-new-to-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.