Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ABE_FLIPS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ABE_FLIPS.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 2 years ago

4 Months is not much. Things take time... you cant learn everything in 4 months.

Just a kind reminder on TMNT, this game is frustrating and hard AF, not so much with Mando.
    If you want to get better at certain games, learn when you can dead bounce or drop catch safely.
    Learn how often you lose control from a failed live catch and if its worth it. Learn all those little tricks to reduce risk step by step.
    Reflect all your drains, and make sure to understand why you drained. Over time you can implement more risky techniques because you get better.
    Watch streamers, and compare how they play. If you see them doing stuff you cant understand, its probably because you are not experienced enough.

Here is a causual game on Mando, try to understand what I am doing and compare it to your playstyle. Ask yourself what you can do better.

Good luck, let me know how it went.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gentax:

Hi ABE flips! Just FYI I've been playing daily for 4 months but actually I've been playing pinball semi regularly for 10 years. I've actually been watching a lot of your videos and they've helped me a lot with my accuracy. I guess for me the hardest part is "self reflection"
    Like I lose control over a shot and my take away is "don't loose control" I shoot the ball, it misses, goes wild on the slings then drains then my take away is "don't loose control"
    I'm doing a lot of the tips, drop catching to reduce ball speed, treating everything on the surface as a flipper, nudging objects INTO the ball to reduce its speed, proactively nudging to shave of speed, cradle when I can, shoot on the fly if the ball rolls to fast.
    The major difference is that I have no idea if I'm doing things correctly (especially nudging).
    Take for example shooting. It's easy for me to build the habits and timing as I know when I hit the shot or not, success is on a binary and there is a very specific outcome (make the shot or miss)
    However with stuff like proactive nudging I have no idea if I'm doing it right. Correct nudging at the right time, incorrect nudging at the right time, correct nudging at the wrong time and incorrect nudging at the wrong time can yield the same outcome (the ball doesn't drain). I can do everything right but drain because the ball in unsavable or make every single nudge mistake in the world but because the ball was really safe I'm ok. You can see how it's really hard for me to gauge my progress/build habits like this.
    I know I'm doing all the techniques in your stream but I'm doing them poorly but I have no idea if I'm doing them correctly or not to help correct myself

Even without "nudging" you should get past two modes. When it comes to nudging start with live savers like the "nudge pass" for SDTM drains- explained in the latest video or slap saves. Its important to get back in control after missing a shot, since you will always miss shots. Missed shots are getting punished, but at most times you will get the ball back.

Don`t overthink the nudging part. You should recognize similar drains over the years and thats when your nudging comes into play. For example you know if the ball is going to touch the top/outer part of the sling post there is a high chance of an outlane drain, so now you have the chance to alter the balls debounce... try and look what works. If you keep remembering yourself of those potential drain situations you can do something. Thats what makes nudging so difficult- it highly relates to your experience.

Again, if you watch live streams or other players, compare your playstyle and ask yourself if you would have made certain things different at any time watching. This way you will notice if something could be improved. I can tell in most situations when I watch others play if I would have used different skills and why. If i do not see any advantage in the others playstyle there is no reason for me to change mine.

Dont forget to hunt the extra balls!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Thats the floatiest stern I have seen in a while. I wonder what angle his game is at...

Yeah it was, but already sold it. I think it was 6.8°

cheers

1 week later
    #31 2 years ago

Your modes will be finished if you drain, on Mando and TMNT. If you get at least one Extraball you should be able to progress further.
    So always make sure to start a mode before you drain... I get the feeling that this is more a psychological thing.

#36 2 years ago

During practice games you can learn and repeat shots without the fear of failing, so that is good.
    However, do not get obsessed with certain shots if you miss them. If you move on with a positve mindset and stay relaxed and hit some other shots you might hit that "hard" shot the next time. That is very important. If you are shooting in fear, everything is tensed up and you have a great chance of failing because you cant get into the zone and "feel" the game... also your reaktion times are getting worse in an unrelaxed state.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ABE_FLIPS.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4-months-of-daily-pinball-playing-and-i-still-have-a-2-mode-curse?tu=ABE_FLIPS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.