Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Quercus22
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7506[1] (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the 4th player 10,000s reel on 4 Million BC, when it is activated it sometimes steps 2-3 times instead of once, all the other reels work correctly, resetting and scoring as they should.

The 10,000s reels work through the 9th position switch on the 1000s reels and the 1000 point relay, if I manually activate the 1000 point relay on players 1,2 and 3 the reel steps up once as it should, if I hold the 1000 point relay in a bit longer, the 10000pt score reel solenoid locks on as I would expect, however, on the 4th player reel if I hold the 1000 pt relay in a bit longer, the score reel spins round as the solenoid is continuously energising and de-energising.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

IMG_7506[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7506[1] (resized).JPG
    #2 2 years ago

Check the 4th player 1000’s score reel end of stroke switch. It might need a fine adjustment.

#3 2 years ago

To clarify, if the player 4 1000 point score reel shows a 9 and you hold the 1000 point relay in the active position you get multiple pulses to the player 4 10,000 score reel? Usually when one pulse turns into many there is a switch that doesn't have enough tension to stay closed so it bounces or chatters which generates multiple pulses.

I'd check the 9th position switch on the player 4 1000 point score reel. If that bounces you'd get multiple 10,000 pulses. To test the theory first you could jumper around the 9th position switch. If that's the problem then the 10,0000 score reel should advance just once each time you activate the 1000 point relay.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for your help,

I have double checked the EOS switch on the 1000s reel, it is closed and making good contact and it opens when the solenoid energises.

I have double checked the 9th position switch on the 4th player 1000s reel and it is not bouncing, it is closing solidly and the problem persists.

I can see from the schematic that the circuit goes through a wiper on the player unit, this is the only thing I can see that is particular to the 4th player 10000s reel but it looks ok.

It's got me baffled!

#5 2 years ago

Tension isn't the only reason a connection might bounce. There might be a tiny piece of grit between the contacts.

Jumpering around the switch or the player unit would prove where the issue is.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks Mark,
    I have had a closer look at the 4th player 1000s reel 9th position switch, I jumpered around it with no change, I also checked the resistance of the switch when closed and it was 0.001 Ohms. I thought perhaps the wiper on the player unit was making intermittent contact and causing bouncing but it is ok, I tried jumpering around the player unit, this also made no difference.

I then took the 4th player 10000s reel apart, I found that the coil mounting bracket had been replaced with a non original bracket, I also found that one of the black wires on the coil had been rubbing on the bracket and had worn through the insulation, I hoped that this was the cause of the problem but no.

I can only think there is perhaps a short circuit somewhere?

#7 2 years ago

What happens if you jumper the 10,000 score reel to the 1000 score reel so that they fire together? Do the two score reels behave the same?

#8 2 years ago

No, I connected a jumper between the 10,000 reel solenoid and the 1000 reel solenoid and the 1000s reel activates once each time I activate the 1000pt relay and the 10000s reel will activate multiple times very quickly, how many times depends on how long I hold the relay in.
    During a game, the reel will usually turn between 1 and 3 times, it will spin for as long as I hold the relay in when operated manually, I don't want to burn the coil out so I have only held it in for a few seconds.
    I have checked for any touching wires or solder tabs or blobs of solder on the switches and all look ok.

It's driving me mad!

#9 2 years ago

That absolves the circuit driving the 10,000 score reel. There might be an issue with the score reel coil. It could be a bad solder joint or a break in the windings that opens when current is applied, or something like that.

#10 2 years ago

Thanks Mark, I shall have another look at it tomorrow, I can replace the coil and see if that helps, I can also check the resistance of the coil and compare it to a known good coil.

Thanks again for your help,

Richard

#11 2 years ago

Progress! I removed the suspect coil and checked the resistance - 28.1 Ohms, I then checked the resistance of a known working coil this was 29.4 Ohms which suggested that the coil was perhaps ok, I fitted the known working coil to the game as well as the correct coil mounting bracket, it worked perfectly, good news.

I fitted the suspect coil into the game I had taken the known working coil from and it worked correctly, I then fitted the incorrect bracket back into the problem game and the fault returned, the incorrect bracket is longer than the original and a thick washer had been fitted over the coil stop to take up the gap, there was no obvious reason I could see that the incorrect bracket would cause the fault.

With the correct bracket the reel works as it should so all is well.

Many thanks for your help Mark, it is much appreciated

Richard

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4-million-bc-score-reel-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.