• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2134 (resized).JPG
IMG_2133 (resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Just replaced my Sopranos coin door with a modern stern coin door from Marco just to get a bill validator plate to install a headphone adapter kit. I have the door installed, as well as the headphone kit. Then I realized that the coin door is a 4-button, whereas the old one had 3. Upon inspection, none of the buttons function correctly except the far left which accesses the service menu. The others I'm not sure what they are doing.. during play if you hit one it randomly awards things.

I did notice that the new door plugged into the other connector that's provided but I didn't think that would be an issue. Apparently it is.. or Sopranos just isn't compatible with a 4 button config?

Anyone have any insight into this and how to solve the issue? I'm thinking I may have to pull out 2 of the switches from the plug/connector and wire them into the previous connector/locations. Then the 4th switch just would do nothing I presume. If there's any easier solution I'd love to hear it though.. anyone else had this come up?

#2 8 years ago

If the game was built with a 3 button configuration, a 4 button one will not work. But with 4 buttons at your disposal, you should be able to make due, unless the original used some wacky service button configuration with non-standard switches. But you will need to break up that connector and wire it the way it was previously. Sorry, there is no easier solution that I know of.

#3 8 years ago

Yea you'll need to meter the wires from the switches in the connector and see where they went and move the wires around in the new connector.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply guys. Guess it's time to have some connector fun. There must be a tool to remove those pins easily from the connectors? I've only had to do a couple pins previously and had luck with very long needle nose pliers to get the barbs pushed in enough to get the pins out from the plug.. but this method is rather a pain.

#5 8 years ago

Unfortunately they're not made to remove only to insert.

#6 8 years ago

Arrrg, of course!

4 months later
#7 7 years ago

So -- I just sat down and solved this issue after avoiding it for the last 4 months. For anyone facing a similar problem --

You have a couple options:

1) (What I did) Keep new door on, separate out wires on the old door harness to the 3 button switch. Should just need the common ground plus 1 wire to each switch. The ground actually runs over to the smaller 4 prong plug. Once you have the wires seperated, you can clip everything except the 4 wires. Use needlenose pliers to remove the 1 ground pin from the small plug. Now you should have a harness attached to the 3 button switch + an extra loose (black) ground wire with a pin end. Plug the loose ground wire into the empty spot on the new doors 4 prong harness. The left most position + the empty position both run to ground. Then just disconnect the 4 button switch and remove it, and screw in the 3 button. Ziptie the harness around and plug it in. This will keep the hold main harness + plug, while using the newer 4 prong plug.

2) Use needlenose pliers to pull out the 4 pins running to the old door. Then remove the 4 pins that run to the new door and swap over the old pins to the correct positions on the new plug. Remove 4 button switch, install 3 button switch. Obviously this is easier if you just clip the old wires, strip, and use a tool to crimp on new pins if you have the tool... I don't.

3) Lastly, I believe you could just trace out the 4 wires running to the new 4 button switch, and use pliers or repin them in the correct positions matching the configuration of the old harness & 3 button switch.

Hope that helps anyone wondering... without the crimping tool probably took an hour or so to swap it over and ziptie up everything tidy. Much faster with the crimping tool.

6 months later
#8 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Unfortunately they're not made to remove only to insert.

So for posterity -- I did just find pin extractors, haven't tried yet but looks like it will work.

IMG_2133 (resized).JPGIMG_2133 (resized).JPG

IMG_2134 (resized).JPGIMG_2134 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4-button-coin-door-replacing-3-button-now-they-dont-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.