(Topic ID: 6400)

3rd solder sucker in a week!

By ssathre

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wick.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ssathre.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

I'm so fed up with the cheapo solder suckers. I have had three fail (one exploded into pieces) in the last week when I needed one the most. I own a couple of the iron/bulb type de soldering tools and they work more reliable than the vacuum type... but I hate using them, the last thing I need to have is another power cord in my way and another hot piece of iron to worry about burning someone or me.

I do a fair amount of board work and electonic repair and I really want to find a good, reliable solder sucker that is hassle free (no cords, no heat, no randomly exploding into pieces, and will fit in my bag.) I have been browsing around and looking at the Edsyn AS196 but im skeptical and want to get some opinions before I buy.

does anyone have any experience with this model? I'm open to suggestions if someone has found something that I should look at.

Thanks,
    Steve

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

I've used a Radio Shack one for eons without any problems at all. In fact it works quite well, for a solder sucker. Not sure how I could make it explode to pieces since it's a metal body. For board repairs I find all suckers pretty fussy and while a second hot iron isn't ideal, a Hakko 808 is probably the best way to go if you're doing anything more then occasional repairs.

Quoted from absocountry2:

I really like mine as well. Works better than expensive ones at most times.

Maybe I had a RS bad one, it didnt explode into pieces but I think an O ring must have blew out cause it dosent, well... suck anymore (and not in the good way). The one that exploded into pieces was the Blue Edsyn, (presumeably a knock off) over at pinball life.

I think I will give the Edsyn AS196 a try. If its all that they claim it is I should be happy with it. ill let all of you know how it is as well.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I have one similar to that edsyn as196. Works great and I've had it for years.
    Mine:
    http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=0041%20TL

Quoted from mkgort:

Have the exact same one. No problems at all. Lots of use.

Quoted from Cliffy:

I have the same one as this but I modified it by cutting off the thumb slide extension. The plunger thumb button on top was lame and was sort of made in rings and in time the outer ring broke off so I ground it off to the inner core. It actually makes it easier on my thumb than when it was bigger.
    The trick with these spring type suckers is to keep them clean and lubed. Solder builds up quickly around the spring reducing it's travel and travel rate (think about that About every 12 pulls I smack it against the bench to dislodge loose solder bits and powder, unscrew the tip and dump it out. Every so often I lube the barrel with a spritz of Tri-Flow teflon spray. When you run out of teflon spray you can sneak the Pam cooking spray out of the kitchen when the wife isn't looking Works great! This reduces friction (duh) so the plunger snaps up quickly but it also seals any super fine scratches in the aluminum barrel for a better vacuum pull and keeps the neoprene O-ring flexible. Mine snaps like a .22

Awesome info guys! Thanks for all the tips, Cliffy. I think that I will save a few bucks and go with this model.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I bought a Hakko 470 from ebay for 125.00 shipped .
    I used to hate replacing components on the board,now I look forward to doing a simple no stress job because I stepped up and found a deal on the right equipment .
    Nothing like having the right tools for the job.
    I have paid for this tool in a very short time with all the boards I have fixed .
    If you do repairs often then I suggest looking into a desolder station or Hakko 808. It might sting at first but you will get over it very quickly !
    Good luck .
    Jim

Jim,

I have used these stations before they are great for doing bulk work, and it would be a great addition to my bench... but not as portable as I would like I need something that is going to fit in my bag as I do a lot of repairs on site.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

Keep in mind that a Hakko 808 is about the size of a soldering gun and the pump is built in instead of in a separate unit like the 470.

that looks promising. it looks like the heat up times are pretty fast as well. Still too big for the bag but I might get that for the shop instead of a full blown station.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ssathre.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3rd-solder-sucker-in-a-week?tu=ssathre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.