3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1398 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I'm having some difficulty troubleshooting some issues with player 3 on my Williams Big Chief. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

-When either adding coins or hitting the start button, it skips over from player 2 directly to player 4.
-If I start the game, player 1 scores normally and once the out hole is triggered, the score motor runs but won't advance to the next player . The ball is ejected into the shooter lane still on player 1 ball 1. Players 2 and 4 behave the same.

-If I manually advance players at the player unit SU, player 3 locks the coil on the match unit that rings the bell for scoring 10 points after a 10 point target is hit.

If I play on a 1 player game, the game scores normally, the ball advances through balls 1-5 and to game over without issue.

All the issues seem to be related to player 3 in some way.

#2 3 years ago

Problem solved!

I cleaned the crap out of the score motor switches and the relay bank switches and solved most of my problems. Player 3 was no longer skipped when adding players. Players and balls now progress normally through games. I ended up using a Dremel with a wool buffing wheel to clean all the contacts and it worked fantastic for getting all the contacts shiny and bright again. (I got the idea from https://homepinballrepair.com/em-score-motor-adjusting-repair-pinball/)

The only issue I still had is the 3rd player locking the coil on the match unit. As I rooted around the schematics, I decided to try to clean the player unit, even though I cleaned it before taking apart the machine, just incase some dust or something got on there. That is when I found a broken solder joint. Two seconds of solder work and all is fixed!

IMG_1398 (resized).JPGIMG_1398 (resized).JPG
#3 3 years ago

Good job!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3rd-player-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.