• Jurassic Park 21 votes
    28%
  • GnR 17 votes
    23%
  • Other 6 votes
    8%

(75 votes)

#1 11 months ago

Family of 5, got into the hobby on Christmas and we’re hooked. We have Stranger Things Premium and think it the greatest thing ever. Just absolutely addicted to it. High score is 315mil so we’re not that good but it’s hours upon hours of fun. I have a Simpsons Pinball Party arriving on Friday. I would like a third pin that would compliment ST (intense) and TSPP (light/fun).

I haven’t played any of the titles I’m thinking of but have watched a lot of videos on all of them.

Deadpool Premium- I’m not big into superheroes but Deadpool is definitely unique. From what I can see it’s a little more crass and the humor seems like it would be a great addition. The artwork is awesome too.

The Walking Dead Premium - good reviews and it looks fun. Definitely an intense game from what I have seen.

Jurassic Park Premium - like the series, like the dinosaur movement. I heard it’s a pretty technical game.

GnR - love the looks of this, I like GnR and owning a JJP would be nice as well. Concerns Cost is high not the most family (young kids) friendly game.

We all like the gimmicks. Upside down, demogorgan battle, ramps etc.

Any suggestions on the ones I mentioned? Any others I should consider? It will be a small collection but I’m looking for a good balance.

Thanks for your help.

#2 11 months ago

Voted Jp as its amazing. As is deadpool. How old are your kids? I would suggest maybe considering something like willy wonka. Great game and would diversify the lineup a bit.

Either way welcome to the addiction my friend.

#3 11 months ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Voted Jp as its amazing. As is deadpool. How old are your kids? I would suggest maybe considering something like willy wonka. Great game and would diversify the lineup a bit.
Either way welcome to the addiction my friend.

Thank you! Love the community. This forum is outstanding. My kids are 14/13/9 and but my 9 year old is the biggest stranger things fan and she’s the one who got us into pinball. I’m not too worried about the being totally family friendly for my guys but it’s our friends that have 4-10 year old. Hearing some of the Fbombs in the GnR wouldn’t bother us for our kids but We entertain a lot so I may have to wait on this one. I will own it someday. Willy Wonka looks good too thanks for the recommendation.

#4 11 months ago

My .02. Have played them all extensively on location except the JJP GnR

DP - great game, a good amount of stuff to do. Fun shooter, rules are reasonably deep without being impossible to figure out.

TWD - hate it. Modes are hard to start IMO. Drop targets are high risk for drain. PF is wide open in the middle, toys and light show lacking. IDK -for me it's sparse and frustrating. Has a huge following but it's not for me.

JP - Can't wait to buy one in March when they're flowing again. Deep game, tons to do but can be fun for those just wanting to beat a ball around. Some shots are hard, but man does it feel good when you line em up.

#5 11 months ago

Medieval Madness Remake LE gets my vote for your family.

Had a Deadpool Pro lasted about 3 weeks till it got really really boring. TWD premium was fun but not a game for familys. Jurassic is a nice game but tight shots. GnR i havent played yet.

#6 11 months ago

Seems like you go from 3 to 6 fast when you are hooked, so you might as well get them all.

#7 11 months ago

Wouldnt recommend TWD with kids / if you're just starting out. One of my top 10, but probably wouldnt "feel good to play" and lots of zombies + gore.

AFM MB MM remake could fit well.

Deadpool is on the "easier side" and also feels good even if you're not kicking its ass.

#8 11 months ago

Deadpool for sure, and the pro is a great choice. Not a lot of difference from premium for the price. TWD got old quick for me personally , if youre new to pinball JP might be a bit too tight and deep. No plays on gnr obviously, but not for me. Probably . Good luck in your search!

#9 11 months ago

I've owned TWD, Deadpool and JP... haven't spent a ton of time on Stranger Things, though I am really interested in it as I like the theme and game designer. Based on what you've described in your short time of pin ownership and a desire to primarily diversify based on theme, intense/light/fun I'd strike TWD from the list, you've got the horror/intense genre covered with Stranger things, you've got the comic/fun covered with TSPP so i'd probably cross Deadpool of the list and ultimately lean towards JP as that is a nice mix of family/intense.

Game play wise TWD is an absolute butt kicker, but I adored that game and it lasted over a year in my collection which is longer than any pin has lasted for a long time. So if you're looking to sharpen your skills it would top the other Stern games. JP is a much "harder" game than Deadpool... but still think it could be a winner for your family. Nice to see another local pinhead, welcome to the hobby!

#10 11 months ago

I'd consider throwing Batman 66 into the mix too. I have a separate thread for a discussion on Elvira's House of Horrors (Premium Edition) vs. Deadpool (Premium) with some good input, and I'm also a great fan of The Walking Dead (Pro) . TWD is the only game to have lasted any significant time in my collection. Stranger Things (Premium) is on my radar, mainly because it is still available, but that also makes me wonder why. Too bad no locations are open around here (Seattle) to go spend some time on them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-hoh-or-deadpool-premium

#11 11 months ago

JP will make you a better player guaranteed. Great game with lots of ways to score and progress. Lots of technical challenges to tackle in different ways. If you end up not liking it, resale value is holding very high. Watch the pin clash tournament from a few weeks ago where they battled on this machine. So much fun!

#12 11 months ago

Throw in my two sense I just got a JP Premium and I’ve owned a lot of the newer Sterns in the last ten years and I’m blown away by the Trex, the layout, theme, and rules which are definitely deep and will take time to figure out. Would be a great fit for all ages. I also have a Deadpool Pro and enjoy it and for younger ages who aren’t as good at pinball they should have longer ball times on it then a bunch of these other pins. Surprised it hasn’t been mentioned but the new Avengers is a hit with everyone and would also be a great choice. I’m still waiting for my Premium so I can’t comment personally but don’t think there’s anything with that pin that would turn anyone away.

3 weeks later
#13 10 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Family of 5, got into the hobby on Christmas and we’re hooked. We have Stranger Things Premium and think it the greatest thing ever. Just absolutely addicted to it. High score is 315mil so we’re not that good but it’s hours upon hours of fun. I have a Simpsons Pinball Party arriving on Friday. I would like a third pin that would compliment ST (intense) and TSPP (light/fun).
I haven’t played any of the titles I’m thinking of but have watched a lot of videos on all of them.
Deadpool Premium- I’m not big into superheroes but Deadpool is definitely unique. From what I can see it’s a little more crass and the humor seems like it would be a great addition. The artwork is awesome too.
The Walking Dead Premium - good reviews and it looks fun. Definitely an intense game from what I have seen.
Jurassic Park Premium - like the series, like the dinosaur movement. I heard it’s a pretty technical game.
GnR - love the looks of this, I like GnR and owning a JJP would be nice as well. Concerns Cost is high not the most family (young kids) friendly game.
We all like the gimmicks. Upside down, demogorgan battle, ramps etc.
Any suggestions on the ones I mentioned? Any others I should consider? It will be a small collection but I’m looking for a good balance.
Thanks for your help.

TWD and JP are high level trap + shoot, take your time, borderline frustration, style games. They get a lot of praise because of how good they ‘can be’. But they are definitely for certain kind of players.

DP is just pure fun. Awesome to shoot, great rules and depth. It’s Achilles heal is it requires some fine tuning and dialing in to get playing right.

GNR is simply amazing. Both fun, and challenging. It’s Achilles heal is very much like DP, it takes lots of tweaking and dialing in to get playing right. JJPs tend to break down easier than sterns too so keep that into consideration.

All in all, if you’re down for tweaking and enjoy dialing in games (I do). I vote GNRLE first, DP premium second. Stay away from TWD and JP. The T-Rex and its modes are awesome and fun in JP PREM, but the rest of the games is frustrating; even when you’re doing good, it’s almost more frustrating than fun.

#14 10 months ago

These are all some of the best games out there. I have put in hours on all of them, and i own Deadpool. Even though I typically prefer Stern over Jjp, I have to admit GNR is sweet. If you like high energy and exciting pinball, then GNR would be a good pick for your collection. Deadpool is fast with high energy and would fit in your collection just as good. You really need to play them all, and lots of games each. You can't go wrong. It's a win, win, win, win.

#15 10 months ago

Yeah I really can’t decide. I almost pulled the trigger on a GNR last week, and I almost did the same for a JP.

I really need to try them out. Currently in lockdown so when that’s lifted I have yo find these pins. Videos don’t do it justice and everyone has a different opinion.

Walking Dead is currently off my list so I’m down to 3.

#16 10 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Yeah I really can’t decide. I almost pulled the trigger on a GNR last week, and I almost did the same for a JP.
I really need to try them out. Currently in lockdown so when that’s lifted I have yo find these pins. Videos don’t do it justice and everyone has a different opinion.
Walking Dead is currently off my list so I’m down to 3.

I got JP and GNR roughly around the same time. GNR is tough, but a very fun pin. JP is just frustration even when you’re playing good. The T-Rex is the only thing that makes it fun but the game is so tense trying to force that many shot successions on a tough layout to good, it just sucks some of the fun away. It’s definitely for certain players and certain moods. You definitely have to go for the PREM/LE for all 3 of these titles IMO (GNR, JP, DP).

I have all 3 and I would rank them: GNR > DP > JP

#17 10 months ago

DP pro didnt having any staying power for me. I didn't like the rules or the shots besides the snikt/katana shot. Otherwise it was boring code with ZY worst art package and clunk fest from Gomez. JP pro with the movie code is intense and alot more fun and actually has my one son interested in playing alot more, it draws him in. The movie code JP is great and has many great moments that DP cant touch. I havent played GnR but it looks nice but doesnt look like the shots are that great but ill probably get one at some point myself. Ive heard from a few guys that had both SE and LE and they prefered the SE but non have kept it long.

#18 10 months ago

I just got into pins and if there are some really tough shots on JP they would be even tougher for me. I did look into that movie code and it seems fantastic. You can also mod it up tastefully.

The DP seems like a fun game really vibrant and the sarcastic call outs would be something I enjoy.

GNR... I was a fan back in the day and would like to own a JJP. I have heard from a few people that didn’t keep it too long.

I would get premium JP
Pro DP
LE GNR

If JJP announces Toy Story before I pull the trigger, then that’s the next pin.

#19 10 months ago

Hey neighbor (born in Burlington). Toy story won’t Be available for another year. That’s an eternity in pinball.

#20 10 months ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Hey neighbor (born in Burlington). Toy story won’t Be available for another year. That’s an eternity in pinball.

Hey Neighbour... looks like I’m not waiting. Lol

#21 10 months ago

I would revisit TWD down the line---it has one of the best codes ever --Lyman's masterpiece. It is tough and a butt kicker but when you have one of those games there is nothing like it. I will never get rid of it. It will make you better--some people just can't handle tough games. I have ST premium also--incredible game.

#22 10 months ago

Well I just pulled the trigger on a GnR LE. Deadpool is next and hope to have JP at some point too.

Thanks for all the feedback.

1 month later
#23 8 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Well I just pulled the trigger on a GnR LE. Deadpool is next and hope to have JP at some point too.
Thanks for all the feedback.

I don’t know if you saw this, but GNR has a family friendly mode with no F bombs and no explicit video. You can actually adjust the video and audio adult setting separately if you’d like as well.

#24 8 months ago

If you order GNR as your 3rd pin, it will be delivered as your 5th pin.

#25 8 months ago

I did as my 3rd pin. Lol I ordered a JP as well. JP will arrive first. There’s no chance I’m putting GnR in family mode but I do appreciate the tip.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside