Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ninjadoug
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

apron_card.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Just wanted to let Pinsiders about an upcoming tournament just outside Pittsburgh PA.

The Where:
    The Slovak Club of Parks Township
    1214 Lincoln St.
    North Vandergrift PA 15690

The When:
    June 22, 23 and 24 2012!

The What:
    A competitive pinball event, open to all!

In addition to the tournament machines we will also have additional machines on site for those not interested in competitive play.

Featuring the main tournament, 2 classics tournaments and mini tournaments.
    100% payout on all entry fees for all tournaments! Estimated $2,500 in payouts based on last year’s results.

Open to the public – free admission!

Earn free entries! See details at the end to see how you can earn free entries!

Schedule of events:

Friday June 22nd

12 PM Doors Open
    1:00 PM Qualifying for main tournament begins
    1:00 PM Qualifying for monthly classics tournament begins
    8:00 PM Last entry for monthly classics tournament sold
    9:00 PM Monthly classics tournament playoffs begin
    12:00 AM Last entry sold for main tournament for the day
    1:00 AM Doors close for the night.

Saturday June 23rd

10:00 AM Doors Open
    11:00 AM Qualifying for main tournament re-opens
    12:00 PM Qualifying for Classic Tournament begins
    6:00 PM Last Entry for Classics Tournament sold
    7:00 PM Classic Tournament Playoffs begin
    12:00 AM Last entries for main tournament sold
    1:00 AM Doors Close for the night

Sunday June24th

10:00 AM Doors Open. Open practice on all machines
    11:00 AM Main tournament playoffs begin

Contact [email protected] if you have any questions

Main tournament – Qualifying will be held Friday and Saturday with the finals being held on Sunday.

Qualifying will be use the PAPA style scoring system. Players will pick 3 games from a bank of 7 for their qualifying ticket.

Entries will be $5 for B Division (novice / intermediate) and $10 for A division (Expert). Players choose which division they would like to compete in. You may enter as many times as you like, however you may only have one outstanding entry at a time.

RULES – The main tournament will be a hybrid double / single elimination tournament. All players will qualify for the playoffs on Sunday with the top half going into a double elimination bracket and the bottom half going into a single elimination bracket.

When a player loses in the double elimination bracket they will move over to the single elimination bracket. Byes will be granted to top seeded players as necessary. In addition, if a player fails to show for the playoffs on Sunday, their opponent will be granted a bye.

Each playoff matchup is a best of three series. The top seed gets choice of game or order for game 1, and the loser of each subsequent match gets choice for each additional game. ALL games in the building can be selected during the playoffs. Since some of the games in the building will be set up extra balls, any extra balls earned on these games must be plunged and not played.

The final match(s) will be played between the winner of the single elimination bracket and the double elimination bracket. The winner of the single elimination bracket must defeat the winner of the double elimination bracket in two best of three series to win. The winner of the double elimination bracket must only beat the winner of the single elimination bracket in one three game series to win the championship. If two three game series are needed to determine a champion no game may be selected twice throughout both series.
    PAYOUTS – Payouts will be determined by total number of entries. However the top qualifier in each division will receive an additional monetary prize.

FRIDAY’S SLOVAK CLUB CLASSICS – This will be a survivor style tournament.

For qualifying, you will select 3 games from a bank of 5. Your scores will be ranked against other entries in your division. Scoring will be done in the PAPA format.

You may enter as many times as you like. However you may only play 1 entry at a time. Entries will cost $5 for A or B division. All entry fees will be paid out in cash and prizes.

The top 6 In A Division and the top 5 in B Division make the playoffs. Playoffs will be conducted in a ‘Survivor’ playoff format. The lowest score for each round in each division is eliminated. The top qualifier selects the game for the first round, and in subsequent games the top score from the previous round selects the game. The play order will remain the same throughout the playoff.

The top qualifier in each division will also receive an immunity idol. This idol may be used in the playoffs one time to avoid elimination if they are the lowest score. If a player uses the idol, no one is eliminated that round.

Games for this tournament are played ‘as they sit’. If extra balls are on, extra balls can be played. All games in the classics bank are eligible to be selected in the playoffs. Games can be repeated, but not consecutively.

SATURDAY’S CLASSICS TOURNAMENT – Players will qualify on a bank of classic games. Scoring will be done in the PAPA format.

You may enter as many times as you like. However, you may only have one outstanding entry at a time. Entries will cost $5 for A or B division. All entry fees will be paid out in cash and prizes.

At the end of qualifying the top 8 players in each division will make the playoffs. Playoffs will be conducted in PAPA format. Qualifiers will be broken up into groups of 4 and will play three separate games. The top qualifier gets choice of game or order throughout the playoffs. 1st place will earn the player 4 points, 2nd – 2 points, 3rd – 1 point and 4th – 0 points.

At the end of the first round the top 4 players in points from each division will advance to the final round.

Payouts will be determined by participation. All entry fees will be paid out in cash and prizes. There will be a 10% prize for top qualifier in each division.

GET FREE ENTRIES! – For every game you bring to the Pittsburgh Pinball Open or for every 2 hours you donate to scorekeeping you will receive a free entry into either the monthly classics tournament or the Saturday classics tournament.

There will be a one-time $3 registration fee for all players. This fee is to help with the costs associated with running the event.

If you are interesting in volunteering a game or your time scorekeeping, please contact [email protected] for details. Game loans for the tournament as well as time donated for scorekeeping can get you free entries!

#2 11 years ago

I must say that this is a great event. Nice collection of games that work very well. I hate going to tournaments where the games are not tournament ready. Doug runs his tournaments very well. Plus the drinks at the club are CHEAP!!!

#3 11 years ago

Rumor has it that the Ghostbusters pin may make an appearance at the tournament. Awesomeness.

#5 11 years ago

Stay tuned for the list of games. 30+ titles. Love the newest Sterns? Got 'em. Love rare EM's in NIB condition? Got 'em. Love those Bally Williams heydey pins. Got 'em.

#6 11 years ago

Hope the doo wop thrumming out of this pin doesn't drown out Hell's Bells.

apron_card.jpgapron_card.jpg

#7 11 years ago

I will be there through practically the entire event. It is a great time with a good variety of games and cheap drinks. If any Pinsiders make it out, hit me up!

#8 11 years ago

I can officially confirm that GHOSTBUSTERS will be at the Pittsburgh Pinball Open. I just finished the plastics today, added a little bling and she's ready to rock. I just hope she holds up through the whole show.

#9 11 years ago

I'll be hitting you up for those drinks Betelgeuse. Have to agree the Slovak Club and the tourney staff run a great event. Cheap drinks do help too.

#10 11 years ago

On my birthday and I can't make it. I would much rather do this for my Bday. Why do I have tobe with and do what everyone else wants?

#11 11 years ago

I just came back from setting up at the club. The place is absolutely packed with pins, easily 30+ and a good variety too.

#12 11 years ago

Tentative game list for the 3rd annual Pittsburgh Pinball Open this weekend:

Batman (Stern)
    Tron
    Corvette
    Lost World
    Creature from the Black Lagoon
    Space Station
    Sound Stage
    Aztec
    Black Rose
    Eight Ball Champ
    Hoops
    Grand Lizard
    Twilight Zone
    Terminator 3
    Gladiators
    Xs&Os
    The Addams Family
    Iron Man
    Transformers LE
    AC/DC Premium
    Spider-Man
    Family Guy
    Grand Prix
    TX Sector
    Area
    Transporter: The Rescue
    World Cup Soccer
    Black Pyramid

And the one-of-a-kind Ghostbusters machine!

Event is open to the public free admission!

http://www.facebook.com/events/308658405881665/

#13 11 years ago

Missed AFM and Old Chicago on that list!

#14 11 years ago

I heard a rumor that the pops on that AFM are supper wicked. Possibly the strongest pops ever seen on a AFM.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

I heard a rumor

I am starting to think that you are the one starting all the local rumors, Justin.

#16 11 years ago

I heard a rumor that the Ghostbusters pin has a wizard mode that if defeated causes the machine to spew melted marshmallows.

#17 11 years ago

So the Pittsburgh Pinball Open turned out really nice this year. Over $3500 in cash prizes were given out. Trent Augenstein took the A division championship and Scott Stephens took the B division championship.

I haven't gotten the official word of how many plays Ghostbusters got but there was always someone playing it. It was a beast too with no major issues. Maybe Betelgeuse should work for Stern quality control. Haha.

1 week later
    #18 11 years ago

Just wanted to provide everyone an update on the 3rd Annual Pittsburgh Pinball Open that was played June 22, 23,

24 this year.

First off the winners:

Classics I
    1st: Nick Jaquay
    2nd: Al Thomka
    3rd: Fred Cochran
    4th: Trent Augenstein

Classics II
    1st: Chris Stephens
    2nd: Fred Cochran
    3rd: Colin Horner
    4th: Chris Newsom

Main Tournament
    1st: Trent Augenstein
    2nd: Chris Stephens
    3rd: Jon Replogle
    4th: Chris Newsom

Results have also been submitted to IFPA and are currently available on their website.

The game banks in order of which game got played the most:

Classics I
    Lost World
    Space Station
    Old Chicago
    Hoops
    TX Sector

Classics II
    Black Pyramid
    Aztec
    Grand Lizard
    Eight Ball Champ
    Grand Prix

Main Tournament:
    Attack from Mars
    (tie) Twilight Zone
    Tron
    Creature From the Black Lagood
    Corvette
    Terminator 3
    Black Rose

We ended up giving out over $3500 in cash and prizes!

Big thanks to everyone who donated a game, helped set up, did scorekeeping, or any of the other little things that

helped over the weekend.

Thanks to the players who came out and competed as well.

The PPO keeps growing every year and next year we hope to see you there!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3rd-annual-pittsburgh-pinball-open-june-22-24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.