Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jurassic Park (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200227-020236 (resized).png
    20200224_175009 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175018 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175021 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175030 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175107 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175213 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175207 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175157 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175150 (resized).jpg
    72BFE44D-1F0B-4B3B-B6BC-A022F97EAC2D (resized).jpeg
    EF42E8EE-40D1-4B36-9751-33E2A5F4B7E2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I'd definitely be interested in a Shadow and might be able to scrounge $500...maybe, but I know it's a brutal game and might be too tough for my wife.

Unfortunately, The Shadow usually falls in the 4k+ range these days. Great game with depth, however.

#12 4 years ago

Since you said 3500...i have included pins up to that price, but several of these can be found for 3k or less:

Fish tales, bram stokers Dracula, the getaway(since you already had high speed), stargate, judge dredd, LAH, black rose, nba, dr who, whodunit, tftc, dirty harry, roadshow....maybe if you get lucky, you could score a funhouse or rbion in the 3500ish area

I would probably go for judge dredd and put the rest towards your next pin

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I should give DE games another chance. The ones I've played felt a step or two below Williams which is the standard I judge all pinball. They do have great themes like JP and TftC though and prices are good on them.

Some people write off Data East, but they do have some top shelf pins JP, time machine, GNR, TFTC). Gottlieb also has some gems. Stargate is spectacular

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I've played so few Gottliebs that I forget they're an option. This seems to be one of the few 90's games by them that people like enough to talk about. Hopefully, I can play one and see for myself one day. It looks pretty cool in videos.

20200223_175157 (resized).jpg20200223_175157 (resized).jpg20200223_175150 (resized).jpg20200223_175150 (resized).jpg20200223_175207 (resized).jpg20200223_175207 (resized).jpg20200223_175213 (resized).jpg20200223_175213 (resized).jpg
    #114 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I was hoping to put the money together for a used Stern Pro, but that seems unlikely now. The best I can probably hope for is $3k which I'm happy to have, but it's a single pin collection and games in this price range tend to be older and I'm hoping to get a pin with a lot of depth. I can probably add one more machine eventually, but it would be a good while with just one. Some things to know...
    I play on location all the time and my favs tend to be the new machines, but I also really enjoy shooting just about anything 90's Bally/Williams as well. I just don't know if any of those would hold up in a single pin home for a decent length of time. I may not be able to switch it out for a while.
    I'd like to get a machine that my wife and I can play together as well. She likes pinball, but is still learning the basics so I was hoping for a machine that's not too brutal to shoot, but has a flexible code for replay value.
    This will be my second machine. I had a High Speed for about 2 years which I enjoyed, but the wife didn't care for it. I'd love to hear some thoughts from you guys.

What themes are you and your wife interested in?

What have y'all played so far that you like, or we're drawn to?

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I'm not that picky about theme. Love horror and sci fi themes, comic themes, rock band themes, but I'll take anything if it's good. I like so many pins, but my favs have been the b/w 90's machines and modern sterns. Strong flippers and fast gameplay. Theme is probably a bigger issue for the wife and she's a big horror/sci-fi fan.

How about Revenge from Mars?
    It sounds like it meets all of your criteria and price point.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but what's Indy? Thank you for the head's up. It's one I'm looking at closely. Has a very neutral, harmless theme and a lot going on.

He is located in Indiana.

Rbion is a great game, however...and it is in your budget. I would certainly seriously consider it.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I'd definitely +1 the Roadshow option. It's the one I have that my GF gravitates to the most. 4 flippers. Cool ramps with diverters that return the ball in different places. Easy to understand. *theme does not objectify women (important consideration for my collection lol).
    This is the second time I've owned one. I like the simplicity and I have installed the new custom code (available on Pinside) that makes it a bit more balanced. I haven't beaten it yet with the new code.
    The biggest complaint I've heard about this game is the c/w music. Personally I find it suits the theme perfectly. I'm not a c/w fan btw. Sounds awesome with an external sub but then again most pins do lol.

If they made roadshow today with all those bells and whistles it has, it would be $15000 or more.

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

Apologies for the delay. Indy=Indianapolis. That's where I'm at and that's where the RBION is too.

Any pics of the rbion?

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Probably. I have to remind myself that this isn't the last pin I'll ever buy..hopefully. If I had done a poll, Dredd, WCS, Road Show and Dracula would all be near the top. I have a lot of good options. Picking one is a big part of the fun.

Comparison;

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Williams 1993,
    $3140-3660.
    Ranked #44

Judge Dredd - Bally 1993,
    $2680-3120. Ranked #54

World cup Soccer - Bally 1994,
    $2590-3010.
    Ranked #64

Red and Ted's Roadshow - Williams 1994,
    $3050-3550.
    Ranked #65

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Had a great time at the arcade today with my wife. I was surprised by how much we enjoyed Fish Tales. She had fun in spite of the theme and I enjoyed it too. The music is brutal and neither of us care for the theme, but the art package is really well done and it's fun to shoot. My apologies for doubting you, FT. We liked Dirty Harry too even though it was incredibly uneven and leaning comically to one side.
    We played Dr. Who, but the pinball gods smited us and we couldn't hit a shot on it to save our lives. One bricked shot after another. Not the games fault, but we never came back to it and I'd like to spend more time with it since it seems like a cool game and I know people really like it.
    BSD was the butt kicker I expected and while she loved theme and features like the mist multiball, I think she was intimidated by the quick drains.
    JM was pretty solid for both of us. I don't like the scoop in the middle of the playfield since we both hit it over and over accidentally, but otherwise, I thought it was a solid game. One flipper was a bit messed up so it wasn't a fair judgement, but it was still fun so that says something.
    I had a really good time with TftC. Those wireforms are a blast to shoot and the theme is so perfect for us. Unfortunately, she kept draining and wasn't able to have much fun with it and the audio was turned down so the sound effects and call outs were hard to here, but watching me play, I think she saw what it's capable of. It's a really fun game. This game was also leaning quite a bit.
    Sadly, a lot of games they had that I wanted to play had issues and we weren't able to try them. X-Men, LAH and JP were all down and they didn't have WCS, Shadow, WPT, Jack Bot, Judge Dredd or Ripleys, so the search for those will continue. There's some other options in and around Nashville, so I'll try to make it out to those when I can.
    Thanks again to everyone that took the time to recommend games or give advice and thoughts.

Which one really stood out?

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I forgot to mention the Transformers pro. The easy shots, avoidable drains and ability to pick good or evil really worked for my wife. The longer ball times allowed her to have a lot of fun on it and it was one of the main games she talked about when we left along with FT and surprisingly, DH.
    As for me, if I had to pick one of them now, I'd get Fish Tales I think. It surprised me. In person, the game looks great and shoots just as well. TftC is a second choice. Loved the shots and theme.

You may be able to find a transformers pro for the upper end of what you mentioned earlier in the thread (3500ish), dirty harry and tftc have been going up and up, but are still in that area as well. Both are great games. DH is on my own personal "wishlist" too.

FT is always a solid choice. Definitely underpriced.

Play as much as you can on them and get a feel for what y'all enjoy the most. Just remember, it's ok to be on the lookout for options. You can see whatever pops up at a decent price, and just go for that. If you focus on a single pin you "have to have, " you typically overpay.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrFancy:

You've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread but one that's kept coming up that I totally disagree with is BSD. You said before that you want one your wife could get into, that has modes you can progress through, and I think you said you don't consider yourself a very skilled player at this point. There are plenty of games that would fit that bill perfectly, including almost all the ones that are getting multiple recommendations here, but BSD ain't one of 'em. Now don't get me wrong, BSD is one of my all time favorites- owning one is probably the most fun I've ever had with a pinball machine, honestly. But the reason it's beloved is that it's uniquely challenging and brutal, and it stands out from almost any other game. Goddamnit I want to go down and play it right now, but my mother is visiting and the guest room is in the basement!
    I don't play golf, but I imagine it's sort of like playing at one of the hardest golf courses in the world. If you're a decent golfer whose played tons of courses over the years, I would imagine playing a course like would be a special, memorable thrill. But if you're more of novice player whose only played a few courses, you'd probably have more fun on just about any other course instead.
    That's not to say you should rule out a game just because the shots are tough, but BSD in another league.

I will take the opposite approach. I think BSD would challenge his game and make him a much better player.

It is pretty much loved by all, and it continues to go up in price, so it would likely only gain value in his possession as well.

I would lastly say that because it is a challenging game, it won't get boring any time soon. I find that easier games don't fit well in home settings. At home, you want something you can work on and progress through.

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I believe someone did mention T3 a while back. There's a bunch of older Stern's I've never played. Local arcade had an X Men and I really wanted to check it out, but it was down. My wife had a blast on the TF pro there. That's one of the easiest games I've ever played from the modern era. She was able to have some decent ball times and that left a positive impression. Would like to try an Avengers, Ripley's and WPT. We had a good time with FT. It's on the list.

Have you created a pinside wishlist yet?

Screenshot_20200227-020236 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200227-020236 (resized).png
    #218 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

No. What does that do?

It helps keep track of games you own (collection), games you want to own (your wish list), and games you previously owned (history).

It also has the added benefit of messaging you when you wish list games come up for sale.

Mine is available for public viewing if you want to check it out.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

I'd rather have a good game that's older than a newer game thats medicocre. Most of the newer games that sell cheap do so for a reason. Of course your taste may vary....

Better quality games (in condition and quality) are always the superior option.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3k-on-a-single-pin-collection?tu=daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.