Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jurassic Park (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200227-020236 (resized).png
    20200224_175009 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175018 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175021 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175030 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175107 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175213 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175207 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175157 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175150 (resized).jpg
    72BFE44D-1F0B-4B3B-B6BC-A022F97EAC2D (resized).jpeg
    EF42E8EE-40D1-4B36-9751-33E2A5F4B7E2 (resized).png
    There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 4 years ago

If you're between TFTC and FT, get the FT. TFTC is great, but Fish Tales is one of the best in my opinion. I've owned both, but I've sold my TFTC and FT will never leave my basement. Even amongst all of the others you mentioned, I'd still take FT. That being said, if you're really looking for depth above all, FT won't do that for you. It's just plain fun and will be played many more times than the others. If you're only looking for depth, RBION or Shadow would be your choices.

Regardless, you should be able to find a nicer FT at your price range. Get that and don't look back.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Had a great time at the arcade today with my wife. I was surprised by how much we enjoyed Fish Tales. She had fun in spite of the theme and I enjoyed it too. The music is brutal and neither of us care for the theme, but the art package is really well done and it's fun to shoot. My apologies for doubting you, FT. We liked Dirty Harry too even though it was incredibly uneven and leaning comically to one side.
    We played Dr. Who, but the pinball gods smited us and we couldn't hit a shot on it to save our lives. One bricked shot after another. Not the games fault, but we never came back to it and I'd like to spend more time with it since it seems like a cool game and I know people really like it.
    BSD was the butt kicker I expected and while she loved theme and features like the mist multiball, I think she was intimidated by the quick drains.
    JM was pretty solid for both of us. I don't like the scoop in the middle of the playfield since we both hit it over and over accidentally, but otherwise, I thought it was a solid game. One flipper was a bit messed up so it wasn't a fair judgement, but it was still fun so that says something.
    I had a really good time with TftC. Those wireforms are a blast to shoot and the theme is so perfect for us. Unfortunately, she kept draining and wasn't able to have much fun with it and the audio was turned down so the sound effects and call outs were hard to here, but watching me play, I think she saw what it's capable of. It's a really fun game. This game was also leaning quite a bit.
    Sadly, a lot of games they had that I wanted to play had issues and we weren't able to try them. X-Men, LAH and JP were all down and they didn't have WCS, Shadow, WPT, Jack Bot, Judge Dredd or Ripleys, so the search for those will continue. There's some other options in and around Nashville, so I'll try to make it out to those when I can.
    Thanks again to everyone that took the time to recommend games or give advice and thoughts.

I always like playing FT, it's fast and fun to shoot, but I wouldn't get one at home, the game has no modes and not much depth (no pun intended), and the video mode comes up too often and becomes a bit boring in time.

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

the video mode comes up too often and becomes a bit boring in time.

Once a game, really. And if you rock it, Extra ball!

aybe you progress through the entire boat and see it twice, but it speeds up on the second pass.

Also. Best Video Mode ever.

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Once a game, really. And if you rock it, Extra ball!
    aybe you progress through the entire boat and see it twice, but it speeds up on the second pass.
    Also. Best Video Mode ever.

Fine, I must confess I am biased on video modes. I just hate them all !

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Fine, I must confess I am biased on video modes. I just hate them all !

I do too TBH, but if I have to deal with one, FT has a pretty good one. I'm glad they've gone away though. Don't make me stop having pinball fun to play your crumby video game.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I always like playing FT, it's fast and fun to shoot, but I wouldn't get one at home, the game has no modes and not much depth (no pun intended), and the video mode comes up too often and becomes a bit boring in time.

Cheers, yeah it's not ideal for us code wise. There's a lot of strategy to be found, but it's not a mode game. Still a contender though.

#207 4 years ago

As you can read, opinions are all over the place. I'd like to have a Fish Tales but would not give one thin dime for WPT and I won two games on my 2nd game. A lot of the others in these lists do nothing for me.

It took me 2 years of watching You Tube videos before I finally made my decision and I have never regretted what I bought. But I shudder when I think back to several I was thinking about buying; If I had bought some of those they would have already been gone.

Take your time.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If I had bought some of those they would have already been gone.
    Take your time.

Agreed, but at the same time, screw it! Just buy one and let the chips fall. I've bought games sight unseen that were great ones, and games i lusted over be boring and shit.
    There's never s way to know until you now. Not when you're just starting now

#209 4 years ago

You've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread but one that's kept coming up that I totally disagree with is BSD. You said before that you want one your wife could get into, that has modes you can progress through, and I think you said you don't consider yourself a very skilled player at this point. There are plenty of games that would fit that bill perfectly, including almost all the ones that are getting multiple recommendations here, but BSD ain't one of 'em. Now don't get me wrong, BSD is one of my all time favorites- owning one is probably the most fun I've ever had with a pinball machine, honestly. But the reason it's beloved is that it's uniquely challenging and brutal, and it stands out from almost any other game. Goddamnit I want to go down and play it right now, but my mother is visiting and the guest room is in the basement!

I don't play golf, but I imagine it's sort of like playing at one of the hardest golf courses in the world. If you're a decent golfer whose played tons of courses over the years, I would imagine playing a course like would be a special, memorable thrill. But if you're more of novice player whose only played a few courses, you'd probably have more fun on just about any other course instead.

That's not to say you should rule out a game just because the shots are tough, but BSD in another league.

#210 4 years ago

I may have missed it but 5 pages in, has anyone mentioned Terminator 3 yet? Lots going on in the game for the value and it’s a Stern.

I’ve owned T3, CSI, WPT in the past and i’d consider owning them all again....all those are in that price range if they are stock and probably provide the most value for Sterns in that range.

Other Stern games around 3k range Rollercoaster Tycoon?, NASCAR, Sharkey’s Shootout, Austin Powers?, Striker Extreme, WWE, not even sure what Monopoly is going for these days. RipleysBION is like 3500-4k range?

Also Maybe look for an X-Men Pro, Avatar, or TF Pro that might have heavy play or off a route or something, or multiple previous owners and may drop in price.

WCS94 is a family friendly pin, I still have one of those... and I’d also consider CSI...some people might knock it, but you can get into a multi-ball quickly and new players like to achieve something. Maybe Jackbot. Fish tales are getting harder to find for 3k, if you can find one, that is a solid option as well.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrFancy:

You've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread but one that's kept coming up that I totally disagree with is BSD. You said before that you want one your wife could get into, that has modes you can progress through, and I think you said you don't consider yourself a very skilled player at this point. There are plenty of games that would fit that bill perfectly, including almost all the ones that are getting multiple recommendations here, but BSD ain't one of 'em. Now don't get me wrong, BSD is one of my all time favorites- owning one is probably the most fun I've ever had with a pinball machine, honestly. But the reason it's beloved is that it's uniquely challenging and brutal, and it stands out from almost any other game. Goddamnit I want to go down and play it right now, but my mother is visiting and the guest room is in the basement!
    I don't play golf, but I imagine it's sort of like playing at one of the hardest golf courses in the world. If you're a decent golfer whose played tons of courses over the years, I would imagine playing a course like would be a special, memorable thrill. But if you're more of novice player whose only played a few courses, you'd probably have more fun on just about any other course instead.
    That's not to say you should rule out a game just because the shots are tough, but BSD in another league.

I will take the opposite approach. I think BSD would challenge his game and make him a much better player.

It is pretty much loved by all, and it continues to go up in price, so it would likely only gain value in his possession as well.

I would lastly say that because it is a challenging game, it won't get boring any time soon. I find that easier games don't fit well in home settings. At home, you want something you can work on and progress through.

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

As you can read, opinions are all over the place. I'd like to have a Fish Tales but would not give one thin dime for WCS and I won two games on my 2nd game. A lot of the others in these lists do nothing for me.
    It took me 2 years of watching You Tube videos before I finally made my decision and I have never regretted what I bought. But I shudder when I think back to several I was thinking about buying; If I had bought some of those they would have already been gone.
    Take your time.

What did you end up with as a first pin? My High Speed was more a local opportunity and not a game I had thought about owning. I think it was a good first game though.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrFancy:

I agree. We played it yesterday on location and while it was beautiful to look at, has a perfect theme for us and its a Williams and nothing beats a Williams IMO, it isn't right for us right now. I'm a subpar player and she's a lot worse than me, so we'd be struggling every game. I'm okay with that, but she probably wouldn't have fun and would lose interest and I'm trying to keep her around pinball if I can. From what I've seen, it's a great game though.

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from mas:

I may have missed it but 5 pages in, has anyone mentioned Terminator 3 yet? Lots going on in the game for the value and it’s a Stern.
    I’ve owned T3, CSI, WPT in the past and i’d consider owning them all again....all those are in that price range if they are stock and probably provide the most value for Sterns in that range.
    Other Stern games around 3k range Rollercoaster Tycoon?, NASCAR, Sharkey’s Shootout, Austin Powers?, Striker Extreme, WWE, not even sure what Monopoly is going for these days. RipleysBION is like 3500-4k range?
    Also Maybe look for an X-Men Pro, Avatar, or TF Pro that might have heavy play or off a route or something, or multiple previous owners and may drop in price.
    WCS94 is a family friendly pin, I still have one of those... and I’d also consider CSI...some people might knock it, but you can get into a multi-ball quickly and new players like to achieve something. Maybe Jackbot. Fish tales are getting harder to find for 3k, if you can find one, that is a solid option as well.

I believe someone did mention T3 a while back. There's a bunch of older Stern's I've never played. Local arcade had an X Men and I really wanted to check it out, but it was down. My wife had a blast on the TF pro there. That's one of the easiest games I've ever played from the modern era. She was able to have some decent ball times and that left a positive impression. Would like to try an Avengers, Ripley's and WPT. We had a good time with FT. It's on the list.

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I believe someone did mention T3 a while back. There's a bunch of older Stern's I've never played. Local arcade had an X Men and I really wanted to check it out, but it was down. My wife had a blast on the TF pro there. That's one of the easiest games I've ever played from the modern era. She was able to have some decent ball times and that left a positive impression. Would like to try an Avengers, Ripley's and WPT. We had a good time with FT. It's on the list.

Have you created a pinside wishlist yet?

Screenshot_20200227-020236 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200227-020236 (resized).png
    #216 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I will take the opposite approach. I think BSD would challenge his game and make him a much better player.
    It is pretty much loved by all, and it continues to go up in price, so it would likely only gain value in his possession as well.
    I would lastly say that because it is a challenging game, it won't get boring any time soon. I find that easier games don't fit well in home settings. At home, you want something you can work on and progress through.

If I ever get a multipin collection, I'll have to try and get one. I agree that a buttkicker is perfect for home play, but I'm not there for this type of game just yet. One day.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Have you created a pinside wishlist yet?[quoted image]

No. What does that do?

#218 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

No. What does that do?

It helps keep track of games you own (collection), games you want to own (your wish list), and games you previously owned (history).

It also has the added benefit of messaging you when you wish list games come up for sale.

Mine is available for public viewing if you want to check it out.

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It helps keep track of games you own (collection), games you want to own (your wish list), and games you previously owned (history).
    It also has the added benefit of messaging you when you wish list games come up for sale.
    Mine is available for public viewing if you want to check it out.

Ah, very cool. I'll have to start putting games in there. Thanks for the heads up.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

What did you end up with as a first pin? My High Speed was more a local opportunity and not a game I had thought about owning. I think it was a good first game though.

I went with early solid state pins. I started with a Stern Big Game ( based on playing it in Visual Pinball and watching youtube videos ) and the classic Stern collection grew from there. One major benefit of staying with a particular group of pins is that the boards and other parts will interchange; that makes it so much easier is you need to do some trouble shooting.

I live in a pinball desert here. All of my buys were made after watching hours and hours of youtube vids. I stumbled into a Robocop thread here and decided to check for videos. I liked what I saw and went looking for one. I lucked out. The videos were good; It played just like what I saw in the videos.

High Speed is a great 1st game. Good taste. You will do OK when you make your decision.

The Law does have a good point when he says just "let the chips fall". If you make a mistake buy I guess you look at it as tuition; The cost to get into the game.

Daditude made a good point about BSD. I hate that pinball machine. It keeps saying "feed me". But in a home environment, a pin like that will hone your skills and make you a better player. It is not one you are likely to master, therefore you will not be getting bored easily.

EDIT: Read down farther and saw what you said about BSD and your wife. Road Show is one I stepped up to and liked immediately.

I will be interested in what you finally decide on.

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Road Show is one I stepped up to and liked immediately.

I really like Road Show too, but the wife doesn't like Red and Ted, go figure. I tell her they are better than Rudy

#222 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I went with early solid state pins. I started with a Stern Big Game ( based on playing it in Visual Pinball and watching youtube videos ) and the classic Stern collection grew from there. One major benefit of staying with a particular group of pins is that the boards and other parts will interchange; that makes it so much easier is you need to do some trouble shooting.
    I live in a pinball desert here. All of my buys were made after watching hours and hours of youtube vids. I stumbled into a Robocop thread here and decided to check for videos. I liked what I saw and went looking for one. I lucked out. The videos were good; It played just like what I saw in the videos.
    High Speed is a great 1st game. Good taste. You will do OK when you make your decision.
    The Law does have a good point when he says just "let the chips fall". If you make a mistake buy I guess you look at it as tuition; The cost to get into the game.
    Daditude made a good point about BSD. I hate that pinball machine. It keeps saying "feed me". But in a home environment, a pin like that will hone your skills and make you a better player. It is not one you are likely to master, therefore you will not be getting bored easily.
    EDIT: Read down farther and saw what you said about BSD and your wife. Road Show is one I stepped up to and liked immediately.

Thanks for your thoughts. I hadn't thought of the parts benefit of collecting one manufacturer, but it makes a lot of sense. I might have two machines one day, but I don't think it's possible to own more than that at once. My pins will go in one small room that doubles as a studio so not much room to grow unless my lets me put one in the living/dining room...and that's not likely haha.

I'll be pretty interested see what I end up with too LOL. I have the 3k now, but I'm hoping to make something happen to get up to 4k.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I have the 3k now, but I'm hoping to make something happen to get up to 4k.

Wait. Unless you have stumbled onto some hyper rare pin that all are dying for, wait. Going from 3K to 4K opens up a world of choices. And who knows, maybe you will get lucky with someone pricing a pin too low and you get to make a deal. And cover your pin jonesing at the arcade. A few quarters at a time

#224 4 years ago

If you want a newer stern, the Avengers tend to hover in the high 3 to low 4's. It's a pretty fun pin from what I remember. That and Transformers tend to sell in a similar price range. Saw an LE listed recently for 4K on facebook. Good luck!

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I really like Road Show too, but the wife doesn't like Red and Ted, go figure. I tell her they are better than Rudy

Yeah I like it too. My wife seemed kind of indifferent about it, but in a home environment, everything changes. I think she'd enjoy it at home. It's loaded and feels a bit longer ball-time wise.

#226 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Wait. Unless you have stumbled onto some hyper rare pin that all are dying for, wait. Going from 3K to 4K opens up a world of choices. And who knows, maybe you will get lucky with someone pricing a pin too low and you get to make a deal. And cover your pin jonesing at the arcade. A few quarters at a time

I agree and that is my plan right now. I'm getting the money together now, but once it's there, I'll hold onto it until the right machine comes along in the area. That'll be the fun part I think. I'll get to shop for a pinball machine every day with the means to pull the trigger at any moment. That sounds awesome.

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

If you want a newer stern, the Avengers tend to hover in the high 3 to low 4's. It's a pretty fun pin from what I remember. That and Transformers tend to sell in a similar price range. Saw an LE listed recently for 4K on facebook. Good luck!

Yeah, I'll be keeping an eye out for stuff like these two. I saw a Wrestlemania sell for 3k recently. Crazy considering it's a 2015 pro. Must be a pretty unpopular game.

#228 4 years ago

I'd rather have a good game that's older than a newer game thats medicocre. Most of the newer games that sell cheap do so for a reason. Of course your taste may vary....

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

I'd rather have a good game that's older than a newer game thats medicocre. Most of the newer games that sell cheap do so for a reason. Of course your taste may vary....

Agreed. My wife might not though haha. She loves the new shiny stuff. I just need to find a middle ground to make us both happy and that's very doable.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

Better quality games (in condition and quality) are always the superior option.

1 week later
    #231 4 years ago

Well, thanks to some work, good luck and the pinball gods smiling on me, I was able to make this happen. It arrived today and I'm still in shock that it's sitting in my home. It's incredible. I never dreamed that I'd have something like this.

Jurassic Park (resized).jpgJurassic Park (resized).jpg
    #232 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Well, thanks to some work, good luck and the pinball gods smiling on me, I was able to make this happen. It arrived today and I'm still in shock that it's sitting in my home. It's incredible. I never dreamed that I'd have something like this.[quoted image]

Congrats....enjoy!

#233 4 years ago

3k is quite the deal on that!

Congrats

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Well, thanks to some work, good luck and the pinball gods smiling on me, I was able to make this happen. It arrived today and I'm still in shock that it's sitting in my home. It's incredible. I never dreamed that I'd have something like this.[quoted image]

Wow..... Jurassic Park that is an awesome deal for an awesome pinball machine. I remember my first pinball Bally Corvette.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7WIJXcRrxJaRUanS/giphy.gif

#235 4 years ago

Well then... Great choice!

#236 4 years ago

You paid way more than $3K for that and the whole discussion of this thread was irrelevant then right?

#237 4 years ago

Great game, especially for $3000

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

You paid way more than $3K for that and the whole discussion of this thread was irrelevant then right?

Not at all. I learned a lot from this thread and while I didn't get a 3k pin this time, I can see getting one down the road and the same criteria will still apply.

#239 4 years ago

Just semantics, but can you really refer to a single pin as "a collection"? What is the minimum number (maybe 3)?

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3k-on-a-single-pin-collection/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.