Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jurassic Park (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200227-020236 (resized).png
    20200224_175009 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175018 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175021 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175030 (resized).jpg
    20200224_175107 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175213 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175207 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175157 (resized).jpg
    20200223_175150 (resized).jpg
    72BFE44D-1F0B-4B3B-B6BC-A022F97EAC2D (resized).jpeg
    EF42E8EE-40D1-4B36-9751-33E2A5F4B7E2 (resized).png
    There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago

I got that hurricane and whirlwind coming soon. I need to see what they look like but one of those might be a option for ya

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Did it sell already? Jason's right? I was just looking for it haha. If it's the one he had at Game Galaxy in Smyrna, it's the same Road Show I've been playing. Bummer!

yep, that was it. Why don't you call him or send him a message.

I know he has a fish tales and a F14 in your range.

#103 4 years ago

$2k-$2500 will get you a nice Maverick. Surprisingly a very fun and challenging table. Plenty of modes to keep you going and several challenging shots. Hell, for $2500, I'll sell you mine. It's damn near perfect.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I've played so few Gottliebs that I forget they're an option. This seems to be one of the few 90's games by them that people like enough to talk about. Hopefully, I can play one and see for myself one day. It looks pretty cool in videos.

20200223_175157 (resized).jpg20200223_175157 (resized).jpg20200223_175150 (resized).jpg20200223_175150 (resized).jpg20200223_175207 (resized).jpg20200223_175207 (resized).jpg20200223_175213 (resized).jpg20200223_175213 (resized).jpg
    #105 4 years ago

I sold a BEAUTIFUL Stargate at auction a few months ago... $1600. Needed absolutely nothing. Fun game... But not as an only game. The call outs get old FAST!!!

Shoot the pyramid!

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I was hoping to put the money together for a used Stern Pro, but that seems unlikely now. The best I can probably hope for is $3k which I'm happy to have, but it's a single pin collection and games in this price range tend to be older and I'm hoping to get a pin with a lot of depth. I can probably add one more machine eventually, but it would be a good while with just one. Some things to know...
    I play on location all the time and my favs tend to be the new machines, but I also really enjoy shooting just about anything 90's Bally/Williams as well. I just don't know if any of those would hold up in a single pin home for a decent length of time. I may not be able to switch it out for a while.
    I'd like to get a machine that my wife and I can play together as well. She likes pinball, but is still learning the basics so I was hoping for a machine that's not too brutal to shoot, but has a flexible code for replay value.
    This will be my second machine. I had a High Speed for about 2 years which I enjoyed, but the wife didn't care for it. I'd love to hear some thoughts from you guys.

spiderman.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I got that hurricane and whirlwind coming soon. I need to see what they look like but one of those might be a option for ya

Whirlwind is awesome but will probably kill my wife haha. I dont care much for Hurricane unfortunately. Thanks Woody!

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

yep, that was it. Why don't you call him or send him a message.
    I know he has a fish tales and a F14 in your range.

I know people love Fish Tales but it hasnt done much for me yet. It might be a good family pin for while though.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

$2k-$2500 will get you a nice Maverick. Surprisingly a very fun and challenging table. Plenty of modes to keep you going and several challenging shots. Hell, for $2500, I'll sell you mine. It's damn near perfect.

Haha. Well Woody has a Maverick. Maybe I can try his out and see what I think. It's gotten a lot of votes in this thread.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

I sold a BEAUTIFUL Stargate at auction a few months ago... $1600. Needed absolutely nothing. Fun game... But not as an only game. The call outs get old FAST!!!
    Shoot the pyramid!

Whoa. Thats so cheap. Ah so that's where that call out comes from.

#111 4 years ago

That would be awesome but those are still over 4k I believe.

#112 4 years ago

Holy crap guys, thank you all so much for the huge response of suggests and feedback. I feel a lot better about my choices now and can tell I have a lot of really solid options. It's much appreciated!

#113 4 years ago

Theme aside, Baywatch is a tremendous pin for the value..

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I was hoping to put the money together for a used Stern Pro, but that seems unlikely now. The best I can probably hope for is $3k which I'm happy to have, but it's a single pin collection and games in this price range tend to be older and I'm hoping to get a pin with a lot of depth. I can probably add one more machine eventually, but it would be a good while with just one. Some things to know...
    I play on location all the time and my favs tend to be the new machines, but I also really enjoy shooting just about anything 90's Bally/Williams as well. I just don't know if any of those would hold up in a single pin home for a decent length of time. I may not be able to switch it out for a while.
    I'd like to get a machine that my wife and I can play together as well. She likes pinball, but is still learning the basics so I was hoping for a machine that's not too brutal to shoot, but has a flexible code for replay value.
    This will be my second machine. I had a High Speed for about 2 years which I enjoyed, but the wife didn't care for it. I'd love to hear some thoughts from you guys.

What themes are you and your wife interested in?

What have y'all played so far that you like, or we're drawn to?

#115 4 years ago

Op needs to speed time at big arcade in neighboring town. Everyone has different taste

Baywatch very underrated pin

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I know people love Fish Tales but it hasnt done much for me yet. It might be a good family pin for while though.

I would think it's be an easy one to move in your neighborhood, too.

Honestly though, I don't see how anyone ever gets tired of FT. For me it is a perfect Pin.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Local arcade has a Robocop and JP. I need to spend some time on them.

Quoted from jake35:

I have a Earthshaker and a Robocop I'd sell for 2500 for either, just down the road in Cleveland tn. Also have a Dirty Harry I'd sell for a little more.

Jake has a nice Robocop. I bought mine about 3 weeks before the one he bought came up for sale. If I had been smart I would have bought the one he bought and then sold mine.

You should check the one in the arcade out.

#119 4 years ago

I have an RBION that I'd sell you for 3.5k if you can make it to Indy. Has one decent spot of playfield wear where the ball hits from the scoop, but otherwise decent playfield. Some nicks on cab, overall decent players condition. Plays great, no issues. Also have a NOS RBION playfield for $400.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Theme aside, Baywatch is a tremendous pin for the value..

I've heard that a lot. Haven't had the pleasure yet.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

What themes are you and your wife interested in?
    What have y'all played so far that you like, or we're drawn to?

I'm not that picky about theme. Love horror and sci fi themes, comic themes, rock band themes, but I'll take anything if it's good. I like so many pins, but my favs have been the b/w 90's machines and modern sterns. Strong flippers and fast gameplay. Theme is probably a bigger issue for the wife and she's a big horror/sci-fi fan.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Op needs to speed time at big arcade in neighboring town. Everyone has different taste
    Baywatch very underrated pin

Agreed..and I will. I play on location all the time, but it's hard to get a true feel that way. You can't hear the game, the machine's aren't always in great shape or dialed in right etc. I'm sure there's plenty of games that I got a false impression of because it was leaning or the GI wasn't working right or a flipper wasn't firing at full strength. Getting this feedback has been fantastic. Let's me know to take a better look at games I wasn't really thinking about and helps confirm my interest in others.

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Agreed..and I will. I play on location all the time, but it's hard to get a true feel that way. You can't hear the game, the machine's aren't always in great shape or dialed in right etc. I'm sure there's plenty of games that I got a false impression of because it was leaning or the GI wasn't working right or a flipper wasn't firing at full strength. Getting this feedback has been fantastic. Let's me know to take a better look at games I wasn't really thinking about and helps confirm my interest in others.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I'm not that picky about theme. Love horror and sci fi themes, comic themes, rock band themes, but I'll take anything if it's good. I like so many pins, but my favs have been the b/w 90's machines and modern sterns. Strong flippers and fast gameplay. Theme is probably a bigger issue for the wife and she's a big horror/sci-fi fan.

How about Revenge from Mars?
    It sounds like it meets all of your criteria and price point.

#125 4 years ago

I think you have the right idea of playing exclusively on route. I sold all my games and couldn’t be happier. Within 45min Of me there are hundreds of games on route I can play cheaply, with no worries. Think how long it would take to spend THREE GRAND ON ROUTE GAMES.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

I have an RBION that I'd sell you for 3.5k if you can make it to Indy. Has one decent spot of playfield wear where the ball hits from the scoop, but otherwise decent playfield. Some nicks on cab, overall decent players condition. Plays great, no issues. Also have a NOS RBION playfield for $400.

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but what's Indy? Thank you for the head's up. It's one I'm looking at closely. Has a very neutral, harmless theme and a lot going on.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I think you have the right idea of playing exclusively on route. I sold all my games and couldn’t be happier. Within 45min Of me there are hundreds of games on route I can play cheaply, with no worries. Think how long it would take to spend THREE GRAND ON ROUTE GAMES.

LOL, right? My local arcades have a flat fee at the door with all machines on free play. I'm set for life!

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but what's Indy? Thank you for the head's up. It's one I'm looking at closely. Has a very neutral, harmless theme and a lot going on.

He is located in Indiana.

Rbion is a great game, however...and it is in your budget. I would certainly seriously consider it.

#129 4 years ago

+1 for jackbot. Everyone that plays mine loves it. Enough things going on to keep any skill level happy.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

+1 for jackbot. Everyone that plays mine loves it. Enough things going on to keep any skill level happy.

Quoted from Daditude:

He is located in Indiana.
    Rbion is a great game, however...and it is in your budget. I would certainly seriously consider it.

Ah. I thought he was referring to a show. Thanks.

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

Man, I need to play this thing because I've always ignored it thinking it was just a reskinned Pinbot and I don't care for Pinbot other than the theme and art package.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Bram Stoker’s Dracula is THE BEST horror game, IMO...and it’s one of those addicting “usually kicks your ass” games you keep hitting start for....and when you have that satisfying game with the 3 multiballs stacked & Gary Oldman is yelling THIRTY MEEEEELLION!!! - it’s amazing. It might be more pricey these days, tho.

Sega Frankenstein might be a good cheaper alternative...but it’s gonna have that Sega/DE feel to it. Cool game tho.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Bram Stoker’s Dracula is THE BEST horror game, IMO...and it’s one of those addicting “usually kicks your ass” games you keep hitting start for....and when you have that satisfying game with the 3 multiballs stacked & Gary Oldman is yelling THIRTY MEEEEELLION!!! - it’s amazing. It might be more pricey these days, tho.
    Sega Frankenstein might be a good cheaper alternative...but it’s gonna have that Sega/DE feel to it. Cool game tho.

Love bsd.. longest lasting pin in my collection and still play it a lot. Nice condition ones can still be found for 3-4k depending on location and mods.

#134 4 years ago

No Fear is a blast to play. Personally I like it better than GetAway. It's got modes, a number of multiball modes, mini wizard modes and a wizard mode. You could get a decent NF and an EM for your $3K.

#135 4 years ago

Judge Dredd is a great choice at this price, and quite a surprise it keeps staying under 3k. The only downside in my opinion is the music that quickly gets on my nerves, but if you are fine with a never ending guitar riff that stays in your head for a long time after you've played, the game is a killer.

#136 4 years ago

$3000, that is fine. You can make that work. My initial $500 investment rolled over into buy pins broken cheap, fix them, sell them, buy more, and then repeat. I have never added any more money into my investment. It took several years to build up a decent collection but it only started with $500.

#137 4 years ago

I agree with BSD being a good choice, especially if you and your wife are into horror themes. I've had mine for 6 years now and it has outlasted many other pins in a small collection. It is quite challenging and that is a huge replay factor.

If you are looking for something more mode based, then Tales from the Crypt is a good choice.

#138 4 years ago

At $3K I would go with Johnny Mnemonic. It’s got modes, nice shot selection and rules, speed galore, and pretty cool hand lock with sweet multi balls too. Nice wizard mode in Power down and don’t forget midnight madness too.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I like Drac a lot but didn't think it would hold up as a single pin for long. So many people who own it seem to love it though, so maybe I'm wrong. My wife would like the theme and when it's lit right, I think it's a stunning machine. We'll hopefully be playing one this week, so we'll see how she responds to it.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

No Fear is a blast to play. Personally I like it better than GetAway. It's got modes, a number of multiball modes, mini wizard modes and a wizard mode. You could get a decent NF and an EM for your $3K.

I forgot about NF. That's a fun one.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Judge Dredd is a great choice at this price, and quite a surprise it keeps staying under 3k. The only downside in my opinion is the music that quickly gets on my nerves, but if you are fine with a never ending guitar riff that stays in your head for a long time after you've played, the game is a killer.

Seems like a small price to pay for a great pin. It's looking like this one's near the top of my list. I'm a comic guy, so I dig the theme and art package and it sems to have a lot to offer gameplay wise. With a cool theme, I'm surprised it's still this price too. Usually good Bally's are only cheaper when the theme sucks..like WCS.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I agree with BSD being a good choice, especially if you and your wife are into horror themes. I've had mine for 6 years now and it has outlasted many other pins in a small collection. It is quite challenging and that is a huge replay factor.
    If you are looking for something more mode based, then Tales from the Crypt is a good choice.

I do think the theme of BSD is perfect for us. Brutality might be a problem though. We'll see how it goes this week when we play one on location. I adore Tales from the Crypt theme wise. Love the theme and even the art is pretty fun. Callouts are cool, shots are interesting, but it's got that DE thing. We'll be playing this as well so we'll see.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

Seems like a small price to pay for a great pin. It's looking like this one's near the top of my list. I'm a comic guy, so I dig the theme and art package and it sems to have a lot to offer gameplay wise. With a cool theme, I'm surprised it's still this price too. Usually good Bally's are only cheaper when the theme sucks..like WCS.

JD is a fun game. I'd love to have one in my lineup.

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

At $3K I would go with Johnny Mnemonic. It’s got modes, nice shot selection and rules, speed galore, and pretty cool hand lock with sweet multi balls too. Nice wizard mode in Power down and don’t forget midnight madness too.

That one's been on my list for a while. Seems like a lot of game for the money. Clunky as hell ramps from the vids I've seen, but checks a lot of boxes.

#145 4 years ago

How do you find out what the best games available for under $3,000 are? Ask Pinside what the best games available under $2,000 and you'll get a $3000 answer.

My votes that are actually in your price range:
    Alpha Numeric: Taxi/Whirlwind (not deep but challenging).
    90s DMD: Terminator 2, High Speed 2, World Cup Soccer 94, Demolition Man (not deep but challenging)
    90s DMD Deep: Road Show, Baywatch, Maverick (deeper)
    2000s plus: Roller Coaster Tycoon, Monopoly (deeper)

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

That one's been on my list for a while. Seems like a lot of game for the money. Clunky as hell ramps from the vids I've seen, but checks a lot of boxes.

No way the ramps are smooth and fast. Play one and you will see. One of the fastest games out there.

#147 4 years ago

Should call out that you will stop with a single game . Maybe add single title one at a time . Should plan floor space for the second etc that will follow .

Enjoy the hunt . Try as many titles in your price range before you buy at a pinball show .

Enjoy the day Shane

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from snappahead:

I do think the theme of BSD is perfect for us. Brutality might be a problem though. We'll see how it goes this week when we play one on location. I adore Tales from the Crypt theme wise. Love the theme and even the art is pretty fun. Callouts are cool, shots are interesting, but it's got that DE thing. We'll be playing this as well so we'll see.

I think you are on the right track. All I can add is that both these machines lasted the longest in my family collection..which also included TZ,SS, TAF and other so called "A" titles....yet, BSD & TFTC had staying power. I just let go BSD recently It was the longest lasting..now TFTC holds that spot...it's just a fun game for all.

#149 4 years ago

For $3000 or less, I would recommend to get a Judge Dredd or a Whirlwind. (Own them both)

Judge Dredd is a lot of pin for the money. A lot of modes (pretty deep ruleset), multiballs, 4 flippers, 4 ramps and a lot of fun.

Whirlwind is just plain fun and you will either have a great game, or it will kick your butt

I also own a great and brutal Shadow, but I don't think they're available for less then $3500 nowadays. If you find a cheap Shadow of BSD, GET IT!

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

3 multiballs stacked & Gary Oldman is yelling THIRTY MEEEEELLION!!! - it’s amazing.

This shit right here is what makes that game so sick.

The MEEEEELION call out is what I play for.

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3k-on-a-single-pin-collection/page/3?hl=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.