IMG_0561_(resized).JPG
20160128_172955_(resized).jpg
CREATURE_(resized).jpg
Revenge-from-Mars-monster-movies-37244583-958-602_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
MMR_3D_Translite_1_(resized).jpg
MMR_3D_Translite_(resized).jpg
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 8 years ago

Hi pinheads,

Really happy to announce that our 3d translites will finally hit the market. First title will be Medieval Madness and will be available end of jan / beginning of feb. It'll be a fully licensed Williams/PPS product. More 3d translites for major Bally/Williams titles to follow in the near future

Took as nearly 2 years till we reached the actual quality level. And as PPS and Williams seem to like it very much as well it is now ready for the market and is being produced at the moment.

The making of:

1. We made a high res scan of the original translite

2. We cleared the graphics and finalized them in Photoshop

3. Color matching as close as possible (original print was silk screened obviously)

4. Then we started to separate various layers in Photoshop (13 layers in total in MM) - problem simply is: you cannot just cut out graphics and put them on another layer. Because of the "movement" in the final product you'd simply see the blank space behind. So all layers had to be filled - gaphic had to be extended by hand

These above mentioned steps took around 100 hours so far to make it as perfect as possible...

5. Then we send this Photoshop file to a 3D artist. He rebuilt the artwork in "real 3D". Why ? The reason is quite simple - to achieve the best 3d impression possible. In MM for example the lance of the trolls isn't just stuck to a certain layer - it simply goes through various layers - from background to the foreground. So the entire motive has been reconstructed in real 3D which results in a stunning 3D effect throughout the entire translite

6. Now the translite is ready to be printed. They are printed in offset print to achieve the highest possible resolution (offset resolution is up to 4x higher than digital prints) But please have in mind - a lenticular foil is applied to the prints afterwards in order to create the 3D impression - we used a 60 lpi foil (which means 60 lines per inch). So it cannot be as sharp as a standard translite - without this foil it wouldn't work. But I'm sure many of you have seen a Tron or Avatar translite - this is what you can expect (although these titles haven't been produced with the real 3d technique - these are simple layers put behind each other)

To follow are some impressions of the creation process. Its is of course not possible to make photos or even a film of the final product cause you'd simply won't see the 3d effect...

mm-screen-ps_(resized).jpgmm-screen-ps_(resized).jpg

wh2o-3d_(resized).jpgwh2o-3d_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Pretty cool
Can't wait to see one!

#3 8 years ago

How much are they going to cost? Looks fancy.

#4 8 years ago

I was playing a Tron LE yesterday, and was thinking about how I'd forgotten how effective the 3D was on that. You're right though, it's just layers floating pretty separately, curious to see what your take looks like in comparison.

#5 8 years ago

Whitewater would be awesome in 3d.

#6 8 years ago

Now.....in order to at least give you an idea what it will look like...here's an animated gif where you see the movement in the various layers..PRESS THE LINK PLEASE - couldn't insert an animated gif through the system

http://www.pinball-dreams.com/transfer/3d/mm.gif

And to follow a pic where you can see the effect if you still own those red/green glasses from the 80's

MM_PD_ana_(resized).jpgMM_PD_ana_(resized).jpg

Or with a little bit of training - you can use the crossed eyed method to see the 3D impression here...

MM_PD_xid_(resized).jpgMM_PD_xid_(resized).jpg

Availablity:

3D translites will be available for US customers at planetary pinball and for outside US customers directly from Pinball-Dreams.com
You can preorder your copy of the translite now - please drop us a mail with your complete contact: [email protected]

We will collect US orders and forward them to our partner PPS. You can also preorder directly through PPS - a preorder list will be set up in the next days.

Prices for the translites are:

Outside US customers - 195 Euro
US customers - 195$

Plus shipping

Have fun - really hope you'll enjoy this cool new product

Regards

Henrik
(Pinball-Dreams.com)

#7 8 years ago

Pretty cool.

#8 8 years ago

Wow….

#9 8 years ago

The Germans have done it again. That looks really awesome.

Imagine that 3D backglass with some EL side decals like Homepin are developing.

#10 8 years ago

I'm in

#11 8 years ago

I like it. Pretty cool idea. Not sure I will ever own a title you will produce them for, but cool never the less.

#12 8 years ago

I was wondering when someone was going to start making these for different titles. I'd LOVE one for my Batman Forever and Met Pro

#13 8 years ago

That's really awesome! Reminds me of the Scared Stiff backglass.

#14 8 years ago

Cross eyed 3d method works best for me. MM looks really nice and I'll be watching for other releases. Can't help wondering how nicely the RZ translites would look in 3d.

#15 8 years ago

Awesome... hopefully this will come to many other titles as well

#16 8 years ago

will these have a lenticular look to them or just like a normal translite? Hope the question makes sense.

#17 8 years ago

wow

#18 8 years ago

Nice, really nice

#19 8 years ago

Son of a bitch.... Just when I thought I was done spending money on my existing games!

#20 8 years ago

Wow, this is awesome!

Would love to have these for my machines (Monster Bash *hint *hint). Will these be a limited run or an ongoing production? Do you have other ones that you have in the works for later this year?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

will these have a lenticular look to them or just like a normal translite? Hope the question makes sense.

and I read about it printing using lenticular paper but am curious if the front layer is ridged.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Lenticular look. Just like the 3D Tron one. So it will have a little bit of a blurred look, that's the tradeoff for the 3D.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Lenticular look. Just like the 3D Tron one. So it will have a little bit of a blurred look, that's the tradeoff for the 3D.

gotcha.

#24 8 years ago

Just added this topic to my favorites list.

#25 8 years ago

but will be a higher LPI than what Stern has for it's translites so should be a 'better' version of that as well as the dimensionality to the layers, which is extra as well.

#26 8 years ago

CFTBL would be a popular 1

#27 8 years ago

Would TOTAN's backglass be able to be processed this way, given the genie's eyes?

#28 8 years ago

very cool idea

#29 8 years ago

Baywatch. Just the Hoffs head though.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

but will be a higher LPI than what Stern has for it's translites so should be a 'better' version of that as well as the dimensionality to the layers, which is extra as well.

when will the PPS preorder go live?

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh Aurich your ST tl would look GREAT done this way. The ship would look like it was REALLY orbiting the planet.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh Aurich your ST tl would look GREAT done this way. The ship would look like it was REALLY orbiting the planet.

Ha yeah, a ship in space with a planet would be a great use of it. Never happen, but it's a good idea.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Baywatch. Just the Hoffs head though.

Yeah I need the Hoff's eyes following me where ever I go.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Son of a bitch.... Just when I thought I was done spending money on my existing games!

My thoughts exactly. When will the madness end???

#35 8 years ago

VERY cool! I hope Scared Stiff is on the short list...

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ha yeah, a ship in space with a planet would be a great use of it. Never happen, but it's a good idea.

I know....just dreamin.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

VERY cool! I hope Scared Stiff is on the short list...

I hope they don't take the ColorDMD model and release Secret Service, 24 and Bally Game Show before getting around to TZ, SS and CFTBL.

giphy-1_(resized).pnggiphy-1_(resized).png

#38 8 years ago

It looks like I'll be putting some more money into my MMr....

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I hope they don't take the ColorDMD model

That's not the way Color DMD did it, you should know that by now.

#40 8 years ago

No more good ideas allowed.
This one tops them all

#41 8 years ago

There was an article on this in the latest Pinball Magazine. These guys do some really nice work.

#42 8 years ago

Extremely cool. Please give a list of what is in the works.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Good job getting these made Ricko. I likey.

#44 8 years ago

Awesome another Preorder...they sound great though. Once they are available to actually order and be delivered right away (and if my MMR ever shows up) I am definitely interested

#45 8 years ago

Damn it, just looked at the gif again and immediately felt my wallet being $200 lighter

#46 8 years ago

You gotta do CFTBL and RFM. They both literally say "in 3D" on the translite!

#47 8 years ago

The Getaway, Theatre of Magic and F-14 Tomcat need this!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

You gotta do CFTBL and RFM. They both literally say "in 3D" on the translite!

I'd buy that for sure.

#50 8 years ago

These look amazing, I guess my Medieval just became $200 more expensive and I don't even have it yet. Story of my pinball life! It's just like when I bought the Aurich Star Trek art package and didn't even have the game, sigh!! It was just too amazing not to have.

There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translites-to-come-mm-available-end-of-jan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.