totan_fu (resized).jpg
20171227_181909 (resized).jpg
20171227_181909 (resized).jpg
BOP1 (resized).jpg
Funhouse  (resized).jpg
Title (resized).jpg
1FFF3A95-D16B-4050-874C-036B9A6C3D44 (resized).jpeg
6E735FA8-3F1B-4647-A089-9BF1B230B61A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mayuh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 8 years ago

From a more technical point of view, if you're so interested: I did about 15 different setups for the 3D cameras for white water. From crossed eyed to parallel, shifting distances, adjusting zero plane or try different (virtual) lenses.

As you demanded some translites that are closer to the player than on regular machines *coughrfmcough* (what was that?) I was also in demand of learning new (image) boundaries as well. Who would have thought I might learn something new after 24 years in 3D graphics?

My goal is to deliver data for the best possible 3D translites, even if means that we have to look at something that's just a blurry mess and may give Henrik a heart attack

I think we worked out a neat workflow for upcoming titles. Henrik's graphics team is awesome, licenses running smoothly, I know what I may and may not do... And you'll get an awesome translite. If you'd won my tournament that is:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Maybe a dumb question, but do these require 3D glasses?

No, they are auto stereoscopic hence the 'troubles'...

1 month later
#24 8 years ago

Yep, totally my fault. Papa was kind of a fiasco, but I did well in IFPA. Almost made it to the top32, instead of being last like two years ago.

Anyway, before I left I did some exclusive tests with new materials and a vastly different workflow. The depth that can be achieved now (read 2016) is close to 30cm (12 inch) without getting too blurry results. This is a goal we want to achieve. Nothing less. And yes, it would take time, a load of prototypes made, possibly even a complete change of the workflow. I got a sample of 3D lenticular here (again not very well to catch on video) but it's awesome in real life:

And for the topper... Hehehe... Well, have a look at this:

We might have to use a microscope to get the structure right, but I'm positive I can do it...

Again, sorry to all of you for the delay I may cause, but especially to Rick and Henrik. But I won't rush the translites out and give you something I wouldn't want to see in my own machines...

2 weeks later
#31 7 years ago

To give you a quick update:
...the new prototypes are being produced over the weekend and will arrive next week. The 'previews' I made with the different LPI lenses I have here look great. Can't wait to see the finals

We also found a solution for the closer backglasses...

2 weeks later
#34 7 years ago

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I got my first NIB and was obviously distracted so much by Spidey, I didn't log in to pinside... ))
Gorgeous little bugger.

To answer your question: Yeah, preorders... Didn't know that, though I feared that... I don't know what to reply. Maybe, if I knew I wouldn't have wasted so much time on quality improvements? - ok, no, that would just be a stupid excuse of course I would have invested the same amount of time to achieve my own high standards.

All I can say is: Thanks for your patience. Again.

Well, by coincidence the first production translite will be picked up and shipped to me in the next hours and arrive Thursday or Friday. If approved by Henrik and me, he starts production immediately. The production run takes about a week to print and cure.

Given that R&D and all material and workflow related work has been done (finished) with these two translites the next titles will have significant shorter delivery times.

Again, please blame me not Henrik or Rick for any delays. I owe you a beer or herbal tea (or whatever you prefer) if you happen to be in Austria.

#35 7 years ago

The release candidates (so to speak) just arrived.

I think production will start very soon!

#38 7 years ago

..caught on video

Of course it's hard to capture the depth on camera. But as a hint, look at the Marsian's hands (both left and right) and the movement compared to the background. Damn, I like it

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Just a suggestion, I bet you would sell an awful lot of the WH2O translites if you could get approved to offer a version where you add the game title to the artwork, for those of us with no topper!

Exactly my thoughts. Yet I'm only the 3D guy, not the licensing expert...

But the topper is on my to do list I'm quite confident we can make it. Next week we will have a microscope session to analyze the original... Or MRI, or whatever it takes Ah... Pinball CSI

#44 7 years ago

Hell, yeah!

Never would have thought that really would do that, but yeah, why not?!

***** First!! *****

Someone please give me an old school AOL 'me too!'

1 week later
#52 7 years ago

Good news everyone: Production has begun!

Thank you for being so patient. Thanks to that we were able to improve quite a few things. Colors, sharpness, contrast, depth, etc. Even installation is easier without the need for a second diffusion sheet.

Can someone please proof-read the installation manuals? Not that you'd need a manual with it, but you'd never know

Thanks,
Mario.

Copy_of_3DTransliteInstallation(WPC).pdfCopy_of_3DTransliteInstallation(WPC).pdf

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I like the trash photo.
Nice touch.
Humor is always welcome in my house.
Oh and Glass has two S's in it.

The trash idea was borrowed from dp

Anyway:
Thanks! Anything else? Austrian English grammar could be off

Btw, you qualified for a test prototype piece of 3D translite history. PM me you address please...

#63 7 years ago

Even though I'm not really qualified to write about shipping dates, our plan is to ship to the USA in exactly a week (June, 16th). Depending on various environmental factors (pressure, humidity, etc.) I'm positive you start following the installation steps by end of the month

Ask Arcade and GorillaBiscuits (they should have their blurry, no contrast, flat prototypes by now), once they have their final translites... The patience you all showed was well worth it

...on to the next titles!

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

it still looks really vibrant and absolutely fantastic in person. Can not wait to get the finished thing later this month. Thanks Mario!

You're welcome thanks for your help! But

Sorry to disagree: No it doesn't

I'd say the final is 10 times more vibrant and don't get me started on depth...

Hope you enjoy it! And the real one even more so!

#69 7 years ago

AFM only had 7 layers. I was done in about a week after pinball dreams did the awesome photoshop work. wh2o has about 20 individual 3D layers/detailed objects. Just check the videos I posted.

RFM: I let you do the counting of the possible layers I stopped at 80...

There is so much going on in this picture, and that helps a lot with 3D. Though 3D conversion is a lot of work of course, that photoshop job pinball dreams is doing is most important. The most amount of work is on dissecting the objects and fill in the background. TOM has around 50 objects. Some which are partially hidden by translucent objects again. Fun stuff

Anyway, back to RFM. As it is installed rather close to the player we switched to the new technology in the first place. So, yeah, chances are pretty good we see that happen. Depending on PPS and pd getting stuff licensed anything can be done. I personally look forward to funhouse and fishtales. And BoP, F14, ... Well, everything I own

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

That just means it will be 80x more awesome!!!

That's exactly what I meant

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Wow. This just showed up at my door 10 min. Ago.
Simply stunning work and this is Prototype 2 of 8.
The photo does nothing for the 3D effect but it looks incredible.
Just a slight blur in the front section.
This will go in a prominate place in my game room
Thanks again guys. Can't wait for my final version of Whitewater.

#78 7 years ago

Hey, no one here is following me on YouTube? Weird... I mean not that I offer much there, but from time to time you get a little sneak peak what may come in the future, when I upload random stuff... As it was really silent here nobody saw it

Well check the wh2o and AFM videos posted earlier and see what 'new' video was uploaded... )

#79 7 years ago

*** breaking news ***

Translites done and shipped to Henrik. He'll repack them for shipping to the USA along with the much needed (LOL!) manual.

#85 7 years ago

Thanks! now only our have to customers like them...

I'm off, gone fishing... While you do some magic, because mars kneads women!

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is that a hint that RFM is next?

Naaaahhhhh... I wouldn't dare to spoil the next three titles in just one sentence, would I?

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Why are the Whitewater photos all upside down?
But seriously I can't wait for mine to arrive.

You gotta ask apple... Their metadata is totally inconsistent.

Wow, there's a lot of detail in the left fishing barn... And no one checked the physics. If the worm is still on the hook (and not yet eaten), why would the rod from the guy in the boat bend anyways...

I'm sure, you don't know what I've been working on

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

4/5 (no MM)
My wallet does not thank you!

Your eyes will I'm pretty confident about that...

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Both of those and Fish Tales are a no brainer
Can't wait to see what they come up with.

I never wanted to blatantly post it straight at your eyes, but I only have a mere 18 views over there at YouTube...

Get ready for some nice (2d, yet animated) instruction cards.

#112 7 years ago

...so, as I own one, I also started working on the next title. I don't want to admit that's a redemption for your patience of delay of AFM and WhiteWater, but basically yes... It is

That big guy will be awesome in 3D along with the droplets in front of him. Very nice for 3D... Now we only need a bunch of people demanding a F14 in 3D

1 week later
#117 7 years ago

Amazing final touches on all elements again form Henrik & his crew! This is fun to work!

Grab your 3D glasses... and: Rock! The! Boat!

Can you see the easter egg?

jammjammjamm2.jpgjammjammjamm2.jpg

#124 7 years ago

Ahhhh... That's good I just hope it might slip through...

Regarding pre-orders, we are pretty fast now. But 6-8 weeks is a minimum. Prototyping (only once or twice this time), printing, curing and shipping is at least 3 weeks alone.

Still waiting for the two guys who got the prototypes, what they'd say when they have the final product in hands. And compare it

#144 7 years ago

I have to chime in on this. I agree the video isn't the best entertaining 5 minutes of your life, if you haven't seen the 3D effect in real life. Yet it shows exactly the convergence. But you can only appreciate if you saw the translite first

Sounds weird, but it's the truth.

It is impossible to show the three dimensional depth (depth perception) in a 2D video.

It is impossible to let your brain translate the convergence/movement you see in a 2D video to the real deal.

Such a video will always be less than impressive. Bending does not over exaggerate it - it can't: if it's too much bending, the images will jump form their most left to the first right position. The real thing is always superior.

Moving the camera forward and back doesn't work either. There is nothing in that axis that can be captured by a 2D camera. It is only left and right images, that your brain uses to calculate a 3D image from (thus let you believe there actually is a 3D space) you are looking at.

I don't want to get too scientific about the issuse, but in short: the effect is only in your head

#147 7 years ago

You shouldn't feel down because you tried to depict something that can't be captured... Each and any pinball related video is cool

And I exactly know that you find it as cool as I did, as you have the translite in hand too, and your video shows all the movement that is there. Yet it has nothing (or better not very much) to do with the depth perception your brain creates that IS there too along with with all the movement. You simply lack a full dimension

We have the same problem here to show you how nice it is. I even had to send out 3D glasses to Henrik because it is the only way he can see all those little details before the translite is actually made. No animated gif, no photo or video...

#149 7 years ago

Ha! Video editing: blame it on mtv

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Just received my WH2O translite
Mabye a dumb question regarding the installation instructions:"Install WHITE PLASTIC FILM first"
Please fill me inn

I have posted a pre version of the manual here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translites-next-titles-wh2o-and-afm/page/2#post-3182493

#164 7 years ago

Fishtales coming along nicely... a few more objects in the boat and a little clean up. I think I can post a 'fly through' next week...

My network simply needs more kegs

IMG_0319_(resized).JPGIMG_0319_(resized).JPG

IMG_0015_(resized).JPGIMG_0015_(resized).JPG

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

does this 3D translite get some thickness or is it as thin as a normal translite? sorry for the question that can be silly.

It is thicker than a regular translite, but it fits perfectly into the WPC rims. For wpc95 it goes right into the recess of the light box and stays there firmly.

As I destroyed my rims when I installed them, due to the fact the rims were so old, I highly recommend you order new rims. I think Rick has them advertised or even bundled in his shop.

Please have a look at the two PDFs I made, I posted earlier... (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translites-next-titles-wh2o-and-afm/page/2#post-3182493)

#206 7 years ago

...everybody who already has one: Do the finger trick Place your finger on the translite (as a reference to the zero depth plane) - for example near the knees of the big martian and immediately see how far that knee is jumping out of the translite. It never get's old - I always enjoy it

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

i am not sure you notice the difference with the regular translite.

Only if you are unfortunate enough to only have one eye or your brain can not calculate 3D images (less than 2% of the population). Other than that the difference is very very obvious*

*in real life only(TM)

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Mines coming today, but I'm assuming it's similar to the Tron 3D one. Is that about right?

I hope it's better if you have tron on site and you can compare both directly please share your thoughts. The main difference is that all objects have true 3D bodies instead of just cupboard cutouts depth layered in 3D...

#230 7 years ago

Fishtales is finished! Needs to go through various approval stages, cleanup and then production

FT_V1.0_sml_(resized).jpgFT_V1.0_sml_(resized).jpg

FT_V1.0_SbS_sml_(resized).jpgFT_V1.0_SbS_sml_(resized).jpg

#235 7 years ago

Unfortunately it's always LPI vs 3D depth.

We (co-)developed a new kind of lenticular sheet to meet expectations. Yet, if you'd expect the same visual clarity at 300 dpi as a 2D version, that's impossible We also worked very hard on vibrance and contrast to compensate for any blurs.

If you do the thumb test: with an outstretched arm focus your thumb with both eyes, concentrate on the background - background will be blurry and most likely double. That's the stuff we fight here...

I still hope you enjoy it

#239 7 years ago

..so, for the weekend, let's fly through it:

2 weeks later
#247 7 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I think TOM is in need of one badly.

Fish is currently being worked on on the last stage = close to final production.

...and theatre: I just started... damn, I need that machine, how would I ever know where's what?! best excuse ever ))

#265 7 years ago

...as Rick pointed out earlier in this thread and as far as I understand, we can only do 'original' themes. Those without a(ny) additional license(s). But there are tons of them... I'm pretty sure I'm not getting bored next year

Thanks again for the positive feedback! I (we) really appreciate!

3 weeks later
#275 7 years ago

OMG! I just received the Fishtales 3D translite...

Guys (and girls of course - sorry Molly & SME) don't get me wrong, I usually don't praise the things I do, but hell yeah: This one is amazing!

To speak in pinball-ish: That's Valinor accomplished. On ball one. Only one extra ball - waiting...

Damn. It's such a pity pics don't capture it. See it in person...

#277 7 years ago

We are currently (means right now) producing FT. AFM and WH2O is on re-order. MM on re-order too... ToM and Revenge are next.

Edit: ETA? 2 weeks to produce and cure. Packing/paperwork/shipping and probably insert them to the shop's database another 2 weeks. 6-7 weeks until you can install it... that's my best guess.

I hope I'm allowed to post this... well, there! I said it

1 week later
#289 7 years ago

I have no clue if this works...

Here's the deal:

Ok, here is this prototype fishtales 3D translite - a really nice one. One minor flaw (no it isn't, it's just an area, you could do better), no one will ever see it except for me.

I want to give it away. For free. For your FT pinball machine.

You have 24 hours (it's almost midnight CET here) to post a selfie with your Fishtales here...

The more crazy you get, the higher are your chances. (Grab your gear!)

Deal? Deal!

Thanks,
Mario.

#291 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Dude, gimme some time so I can buy my FT back!!!

Gear only would still work ))

#299 7 years ago

Awesome guys! keep 'em coming...

#303 7 years ago

Awesome!

...winner will be announced on Monday

In the meantime, keep posting. 24 hours is way too short. I see that now...

#306 7 years ago

Thanks for submissions! I think we will continue to give the future prototypes away to you too...

So, the winner is.....

...drumroll...

Flippy McMancave!

PM me with your shipping address, please!

Thanks mate!

And of course thanks to all who participated. Pinheads are awesome!

IMG_0391 (resized).JPGIMG_0391 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#313 7 years ago

Glad, you got it!

First I was a little shocked how it looked with your LEDs, but then I realized your camera can't capture non sRGB-colors... Let alone decent HDRI exposure. When I had a look at mine (also LEDed) and took a photo, it turned out the same.

I may sound like a broken record, but no pic/photo/video can do justice. You have to see the translites in person. Go find Rick on the upcoming shows - he might have some with him to show to you.
Remember to put a finger on the translite in a "far away" area, so you can see how far the fish really pops out ...

ToM is doing pretty good so far, you gonna like it. Prepare your costumes and top hats, as I think I will continue to give away the prototypes

#319 7 years ago

To make the colors really pop, color density is maxed out for FT. I had to wait almost 3 weeks before the prototype showed up. So curing will take a little longer this time. And they can't be laminated before they are fully cured. My best guess is that FT is in stock in the US around mid October.

#320 7 years ago

The theatre awaits! All left to do is filling the trunk... grab your red/cyan glasses, if you have.

IMG_0406.JPGIMG_0406.JPG

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Damon now I have to but another one....

...or prepare your costume for a nice photo and enter the prototype giveaway

#326 7 years ago

dumdumdumm *drummroll*

ToM is done! Entering the prototype phase...

Please have a look!

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Amazing!!! Damn, dont own this pin either.

Me neither... But a friend has one, so I can "test" ...

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

I hope you send a bunch of TOM translites to PPS - lots of demand! Any timeline on when these will be available?

Prototyping needs around 1-3 weeks, depending on what's going on in the translite. I do the quality check and possibly adjust minor stuff. Once done we do the master and start printing. Very dark translites need extra color density and therefore more time to cure. I'd say around 8-10 weeks with shipping until PPS has them.

I plan to do a 3D conversion every 4-6 weeks. Depending on my RL projects of course but I'm sure I can do 2-3 more until end of the year.

On a side note: is also depends on the producer of the lenticular sheets as they are custom made for us. So far thankfully there was no shortage yet and there are literally tons on stock, but they need to be shipped on time too. Well, that's what I'd call a global project
So please see those ETAs as a general timeline, there are simply too many factors involved where we don't have too much control.

But rest assured that there will be plenty of titles released steadily and everyone who wants one will get one

RFM is the next one, that's for sure

#350 7 years ago

Me personally I'm all in for Spiderman VE. This translite literally cries for 3D! (yeah and 3D cartoons just rock!)

!*licences*!

1 week later
#358 7 years ago

Glad you like it! You simply have to see it in person...

#362 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I agree. I would love the upper right on WH20 to be clear.
They seemed to have solved this with Fish Tales.

No, we didn't and even worse, we couldn't. That's just how the lenticular technique works. Stuff in the background is a little blurry, stuff in the foreground too. To have it razor sharp, everything has to be in the middle, which is obviously totally against all 3D.
Just think you look at a rafting boat 3 feet away from you, and you'd expect the hills/rock walls 2 miles away to be in focus too. It unfortunately doesn't work. You can however in real life concentrate (focus) on one and then the other, but we have to decide (aka dictate) what you see in focus. I'm sorry about that, but that's physics ) quote: science, yeah! (BrakingBad)

Bottom line is, that your very personal 3D perception depends heavily upon the motive. FT and ToM will be far superior compared to let's say Highspeed II. We 'only' have 15 inches of depth (regular/common depth for lenticular is 3-5 inches) and when you see a road like in HS II and it should be 10 yards in depth, but you'd see only the max of 15 inches, you probably gonna be disappointed. Yet the Lamborghini would look freaking fantastic. And the helicopter... same with F14. That will be amazing. And ToM - hell, even demoman... hehehe...

Well, too much 3D psychology... but I think you'll understand what I try to explain. The more that is in the foreground (area wise/biiiiig) and the less you see from a background, the cooler it looks. Technically it'll be the same, but subjective impression is totally different...

Mario.

#367 7 years ago

Heya, look, what just arrived at my door step!

Have a look at the convergence here. It's awesome! Also check out the lower right corner in that video... you can see how the frame reveals the wooden stage...

If you want to win this prototype (signed if you like), post a picture of you and your ToM. The funniest/best/most awesome pic will win!
Contest ends on Monday 24th noon (CET).

Cheers,
Mario.

IMG_0593 (resized).JPGIMG_0593 (resized).JPG

#370 7 years ago

No, it's slightly smaller. So it can fit in the WPC95 lightbox' recess perfectly. I can give you the exact measurements later.

#378 7 years ago

I started a seperate thread for the giveaway to keep this thread for announcements and Q&A

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translites-prototype-giveaway

#380 7 years ago

I still owe you the exact measurements for the WPC95 translites:

665 mm x 460 mm (1mm tolerance)

(26,1811 x 18,1102 inches)

#381 7 years ago

Fire! Would make a great 3D translight!!!

Hmmm, I don't think so... I mean yes, you have very decent foreground/background separation, but you lack of elements you can put inbetween. And don't get me started on the backside's white color (=block out) sorry

2 weeks later
#391 7 years ago

Looking good I hope you enjoy it!

#393 7 years ago

Nope, not yet. Last time it took 7 weeks from my (potentially your) prototype being delivered to me until Rick has them in stock.

Due to the 'darkness' of ToM, it needs some extra time to cure. So, I'd say: Sometime in the second week of December.

Last time I pretty much nailed the date, but take my prediction with a grain of salt...

Damn this RFM translite is complex... 40 layers and counting...

4 weeks later
#408 7 years ago

Well, well

RFM is coming along nicely... it's about 3 times more complex than any other translite I've done so far.

If you'd like you can have a look at the mere complexity of that beast -- the anaglyph pic is just the layers flat...

Regarding T2: Licence!

mars_defeated (resized).jpgmars_defeated (resized).jpg

fertig (resized).jpgfertig (resized).jpg

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

mayuh any update on TOM ?

Oh, I forgot to answer that one:
...they're done. And should be very, very close to shipping over to the US

1 week later
#416 7 years ago

Time for an update!

I'm 90% done with RFM. I really hope no future backglass is as complex as this one... I could have converted 3-4 others in the time it took for RFM. Seriously each and every layer could easily be a 3D translite of its own...

Youssi clearly never thought of 3D conversion

It should be ready before xmas to do the prototypes.

Stay tuned!

#424 7 years ago

That is sad news. I can assure you we do extensive QC on each and every translite. Especially because when the print is just a touch misaligned to the lenses (out of phase) the 3D effect wouldn't work properly anymore... and scratches would be really obvious.

Let me check with Henrik next week to sort things out for you.

#438 7 years ago

Frohe Weihnachten and happy holidays, humans!

RFM_xmas (resized).jpgRFM_xmas (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#451 7 years ago

RfM Status: 98% done ...I'm on it

Glad you got your ToMs shipped too - I just got mine from the production. And we really appreciate that you like them!

1 week later
#453 7 years ago

Naughty little Martian... he's so dominant. But we nailed him. Now. The third time...

IMG_0537 (resized).PNGIMG_0537 (resized).PNG

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's lookin GREAT. I'm gonna get a couple of them. Is it possible to make his eyes follow you when you move?

...unfortunately only in 2D. We need the extra pics that are used for that sort of animation to make the stereoscopic impression work. 42 - 64 unique views to be exact

#457 7 years ago

Thanks! I must also thank Henrik and his crew (Ulrich) for doing such an awesome job in Photoshop. Every gap, all the background is completly new and perfectly touched up and reconstructed.

Layers?...phew, at least 10, maybe 12 )))

I let you do the maths...

Anyway, this time I went for a new approach due to the massive number of layers and overlapping. We sculpted most of the objects.

Maybe some day I will have the real good ones 3D printed. I have a cool company in the neighborhood, that can do 3D prints with color: https://www.layerlab.net/sculpture (german unfortunately, but scroll down, you get the idea )

IMG_1400 (resized).jpgIMG_1400 (resized).jpg
layers (resized).jpglayers (resized).jpg

#460 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

are you having to re-create the artwork all by hand and then create layers from that?!?
given that this is an officially licensed product, I would hope that rick would be able to supply some of the source material to make your job a bit easier

Hahahahahhaaaaaa.... no. There was unfortunately no such thing as layered painting when the artwork was created...

What we have to do is get/scan the artwork, make it perfect digitally (like you'd restore old films), dissect each end every object, and imagine a background that should be there. Once that is done, I need to do a 3D 'clay' scene where the layers are projected onto. Plus all the tricks that work perfectly in 2D have to be translated to 3D.
Last step is optimizing the scenery for lenticular print. Which is pure witchcraft as some 40 different views of the scene are somehow decoded to two separate left and right images only your brain is able to combine to a true 3D image again. That's why they look nothing like the real thing in photos or videos. Check out the fly-throughs you'll see what I mean...

Usually 2-3 weeks of manpower. RFM more like 3-4 months. I bet we could do F14 in a week...

#463 7 years ago

I'll try to do a making of, as soon as we're done. So you all can collectivly feel sorry for us

Just kidding! It's fun. And a good distraction from my everyday projects. And it's pinball! FTW!

#465 7 years ago

It's not a Easter egg per se, but: Ah, come on... it's so obvious. And honestly it was necessary to work in 3D. The 'title' says it all. You'd literally 'step' on it... no more hints

Btw. Since I installed the 3D translite on my FT the lift rim looks like it's bend outwards because the big wave is a good two inches in front of it... weird...

#466 7 years ago

4 layers to go... grab your anaglyph glasses....

IMG_0545 (resized).PNGIMG_0545 (resized).PNG

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from AxleMunshine:

And I always thought it was weird to see the "in 3D" sign not be in 3D!

someone secure the CftbL Lic, please! There must be an Unviversal employee/manager among us pinheads here...

#473 7 years ago

RFM done. Cold beer: Needed!

Flythrough... coming soon (ish) - Prototype has priority

Damn, I love the cow! She's my favorite - MOO MOO )

Those spikes at the edges of the layers are just artefacts that occur when the layers' 3D resolution doesn't match the pixel resolution. 128Gb of RAM is just too little

RFM_final_V1.0 (resized).pngRFM_final_V1.0 (resized).png

#481 7 years ago

...standard gear in my company's sever room

IMG_0915 (resized).JPGIMG_0915 (resized).JPG

#484 7 years ago

...you bet! 30 liters on tap - best Murauer Beer... actually having one right now - because I finished the promo video too.

May I have your attention for a minute?! I also edited in some very brief shots of how it's made, if you're interested. If not, it's just a few seconds

#488 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Wow! That looks awesome. Do you have any idea what the price will be once released?

I know it sounds like I am a terrible person, but between us pinheads: Way too low 4 man months worth of work, plus the lenticular wizard... then the production costs Either we sell 10.000 or it should be 500+

Nah seriously, should be the same price as always. I just love to do them, no matter what time it takes.
Get it right, or die trying

And I'm very grateful for your patience. The RFM translite should have been done end of last year, but it just didn't work the way I did it first. So I had to start over. As mentioned before, there are too many layers to just arrange them in 3D and call it done. This time I revisited the FT/TOM approach and worked out every single detail for each layer (like the boat and the fish on FT) and placed them on rather narrow middle plane. That way, everything is more in focus, and I have full control over what may be exaggerated (a little blurry, but doesn't matter, like the wave and background on FT and the magic ball on TOM).

I really appreciate that you don't rush me

Talking of rushing people... F14! BoP! Funhouse!

3 weeks later
#504 7 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, I had quite a bunch of other things to do ))

Prototypes are great, yet I need some more attention to details. So...

We're ready to ship to the US in week 11... should be installed in your machines 1-2 weeks later.

Prepare your give-away-costume-photoshoot for RFM I'll post the
link to the thread next week. Concentrate on the details, get creative and anyone with a photo of a tank and an RFM will win.... nah, just kidding have fun shooting the photos and enjoy yourselves playing, that's all that really matters

1 week later
#510 7 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I'm not sure how I feel about it though. The top right corner is blurry as is the middle where the bear is attacking the rafter. Any lighting options that can help this at all?

Yep, that's totally true. As a matter of fact, it can't be done otherwise in 3D. If it should be more in focus (no or less blur), it also had to be more in front, which renders the whole 3D idea useless. It's a compromise, but a cool one in my biased opinion

Even FishTales, the middle boat is blurry, yet one focuses on the big objects in front.

One of my employees came to me for quality control some 10 years ago. When I was a little picky about a minor detail, he replied: "If you don't look at it, you don't see it!" I was stunned, but I also knew what he meant.

I can assure you I'm listening to your input, and try my best to get the most 3D effect out of any motive, without rendering it so blurry, it just sucks... hehe, there was this WH2O prototype give away - and that proto was blurry like hell - though 100% correct regarding the 3D space.

Anyway, I hope you can still enjoy it nevertheless!

In the meantime, pinball dreams finished dissecting the bride... so next title is on its way

ekel_b (resized).jpgekel_b (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#517 7 years ago

At last...the final RfM prototype arrived. Colors are perfect now... get out your camera gear and submit a photo for the prototype give-away!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translite-prototype-giveaway-revenge-from-mars

IMG_1792 (resized).JPGIMG_1792 (resized).JPG

#519 7 years ago

I'm sorry to say, that one entry is just so awesome, that there is no chance for others to win my prototype translite. Which could be a little frustrating for others, so....

Henrik will give away his too... Yep, you can still win! Go ahead, grab you camera and get crazy!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translite-prototype-giveaway-revenge-from-mars

RFM_CCed (resized).jpgRFM_CCed (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#520 7 years ago

Good news everyone. RFM is in full production, and the batch will be finished in two weeks. Two weeks because they need to cure for a week+. After QC'ing each and every one, pinball dreams will ship them to the USA. So in 4 weeks you're ready to install them

1 week later
#531 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just noticed that the bomb the jet is carrying says Gomez on it

In the video I did, I'm totally zoom/pan in on that at the end

Regarding WH2O: yep, it is blurry but not more than the others. Blurry is kind of a requirement when doing lenticular. I tried to go extreme and realistically depth wise.

The other thing that plays a big role here is that the background makes up so much of the space. No title or logo (like in FishTales and even AFM) that would hide some of the blurry background. We really tried to get a version accepted by the IP holders that has the Whitewater logo across on top, but got rejected - simply too much change. That would have helped

Glad you enjoy them!

#535 7 years ago
Quoted from TheBigDog:

i notice a significant difference between WH20 and the other 2, so does my son. Perhaps something is wrong with the one I received?

Nope, just too few obstacles... along with the getaway-hs2 one of the most delicate translites to make to balance depth vs. clarity.

But it would have look ridiculous sh*tty when the most distant objects like the mountains, water, etc were at the same depth as the rafts in front. You should have seen the one with the logo...

1 week later
#553 7 years ago

The old girl is coming together nicely... Got to work on her curves... Plus the details on the vehicles - almost done!

bop_50.jpgbop_50.jpg

#563 7 years ago

No, the trim set is supposed to replace the 20+ years old brittle ones, you may have in your backbox...

#573 7 years ago

Hint for the next title.... Can you guess it?

hint (resized).jpghint (resized).jpg

#575 7 years ago

nah.... Beside the lic issues (remember the kickstarter that was required for pinball arcade version) there's no such hole on the TAF translite...

More:

hint_3 (resized).jpghint_3 (resized).jpg

#580 7 years ago

Yeah! Rudy is coming... I love the details on Youssi's artwork every time... I hope to get it done for prototyping before IFPA week in Denmark, but I'm not sure I can make it...

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup Funhouse. That was to easy this time. This is a great one to do, a LOT of layers on this one.

LOL! Compared to RFM this one is easy

#582 7 years ago

RFM had 74 incl. legal line, logos and the new background structure - it's actually an altered version of the original AFM explosion...

Damn, that RFM is great. I just got mine, and compared to the prototypes it has at least 50% more depth. And the blurry areas are really at an absolute minimum as they are all hidden by objects in front... I know self praise stinks, but that's mostly the work of our ingenious lenticular printer guy. So it's not self praise

A pity I don't own an RFM ;-( I think I need to build a light box for it

1 week later
#586 6 years ago

Some work in progress sneak peak, before the actual promo video

#589 6 years ago

...still sexy after all those years! Grab your anaglyph glasses...

I'll submit the revised version for prototype print tomorrow. Rudy is coming along nicely too. It's the first time we do two translites simultaneously, but we need to catch up (RFM took a little longer - LOL!)

sexy_hexy (resized).pngsexy_hexy (resized).png

#591 6 years ago

Promo done... This time, I kept it slow and steady. She's an old lady, you know

#594 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

do her eyes have cutouts like the original translite?

No can do, sir...

The whole translite is laminated with a white diffusion foil. We need that to protect the backside print. Without it it can easily be scratched and the whole 3D effect would collapse in that area (it would not ruin one picture but 30-48 different views).

I have the red eye LED "mod" in my AFM. It works for me behind the 3D translite. I like it even better, as the bright LED won'T distract me so much.

If you have really bright LEDs they will shine through, but more blurry than with cutouts. I can try to take a photo (on Friday) - as a tip, if you have LEDs that are extended with some flexible wires from their sockets (this is the first link that google gave me: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3108), bring them as close as you can to the backside of the translite.

#598 6 years ago

Reality_Studio check out these two videos. They try to/are showing the AFM 3D translite with the red eye LED mod. Of course video can't do justice (same as your photo), but I'd say it works Brid also has quite a large white/lighter areas than those tiny Martian eyes.

and

#599 6 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Give us some Rudy spoilers!

...he's bald, creepy and has sideburns like our old Austrian Emperor. In Z-depth. Well, he's still creepy in color

rudy (resized).pngrudy (resized).png

#602 6 years ago

OMG! I read 'nuts' I need a little weekend vacation. Now.

Sorry

3 weeks later
#605 6 years ago

...just returned from Denmark! What a great week with some of the nicest pinheads I ever met. Both organizers and players!

Anyway, the Proto has arrived and it's awesome. Seems so we perfected the workflow finally. Colors a vibrant, blacks are dark, almost all is sharp and 3D is on its max...

Don't forget to send in a photo for the prototype giveaway! I will extend the deadline to next Monday (12th of June).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translite-prototype-giveaway-the-machine-bride-of-pinbot

As soon as we have the yeah! from the copyright holders, production will begin. I expect 4 weeks it to be delivered to PPS or pinball dreams for the non-US pinheads here.

Photos can't do justice, as always, but here they are

I'm heading to my BoP to install it and take a few photos...

IMG_2767 (resized).JPGIMG_2767 (resized).JPG
IMG_2764 (resized).JPGIMG_2764 (resized).JPG

#606 6 years ago

Works great. Even the red flasher is visible in her chest...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#608 6 years ago

...can you guess the next title?

IMG_0067 (resized).JPGIMG_0067 (resized).JPG

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Tales of the Arabian Nights?

Yep! So looking forward to this! so many faces, bodies... a real challenge

#615 6 years ago

Sure, Funhouse is next Rudy just needs a few last steps to completion. My schedule is that we can do the prototype in 2-3 weeks.

In the meantime Henrik's crew started dissecting TOTAN... which could take a while

2 weeks later
#617 6 years ago

Tammtamm - Hey! Rudy is done and off to prototyping!

rudy_99.pngrudy_99.png

#621 6 years ago

Sir, yes, sir! Probably curing already...

#622 6 years ago

I tried something different this time with the promo video. More like seeing the whole z-buffer (lets call it a 'fog effect') that is used to create the 3D in this translite. FH is so crowded when you see it in full color, you might miss the 3D depth completly. Well, hope you like it

#625 6 years ago

BoP and a bunch of other titles are currently produced and - once cured - shipped immediately.
I don't have enough info to give a specific date, but we started 4 weeks ago. My gut feeling tells me 2-3 weeks to have them delivered to you (in the US). Henrik has them 1-2 weeks earlier of course as he ships to the US once QC'ed.

I didn't hear from my printer (I was on vacation and honestly didn't want to hear anything ) but when I don't hear anything, everything is ok - just like with kids

3 weeks later
#627 6 years ago

AFAIK Rudy is currently at license holders for approval. The rest is printing and curing (this time we do quite a lot with different (older) titles (AFMr anyone?).

At this time of the year it's also quite hard to achieve a good yield. The material we use expands or shrinks depending on the room temperature. We don't want sell any defective translites, so we better take care and do a new 100% setup each day

TOTAN? Analysis, masking, photoshop...

2 months later
#635 6 years ago

Go get the almost flawless prototype!

Post your pics here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translite-prototype-giveaway-funhouse

#638 6 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

You were teasing an 3D F-14 Tomcat early on. Is that title a future possibility?

That would be a recreational title for me... I'll keep asking for it. Getaway too

I'm not quite sure I can't finish TOTAN before xmas. I think, we will release a few titles at once early next year.

My best excuse is that it is too cold and temperature fluctuation is to high to guarantee accurate printing. Believe it or not, that actually true, plus the current titles are quite complex and need a lot of work and love.

#641 6 years ago

I used to be a beta tester for pinball arcade. Given the kickstarters they had to launch to get licensed titles done, I highly doubt I will ever get my hands on one of titles that involve licenses. But who knows.
Currently I’m working on animated instruction cards and a few other ideas

2 weeks later
#643 6 years ago

Hey!

I just received the Funhouse production samples! Yours are on their way over the pond.

Damn. I know, I’m biased, but they’re great. Amazing colors and depth. DEPTH!

And they’re scratch protected with a thin foil now. So please, before you complain that the colors look dull and everything’s blurry, remove before you install it

See it installed with the all original lights (including the blinking ones)

1FFF3A95-D16B-4050-874C-036B9A6C3D44 (resized).jpeg1FFF3A95-D16B-4050-874C-036B9A6C3D44 (resized).jpeg

Blurry and dull with protective film:
A1A64CE2-A8C1-4B44-B2E6-5A3F71028BE3 (resized).jpegA1A64CE2-A8C1-4B44-B2E6-5A3F71028BE3 (resized).jpeg

Remove.
AB75B019-49AF-4CF3-81B3-8F987501FD9A (resized).jpegAB75B019-49AF-4CF3-81B3-8F987501FD9A (resized).jpeg
6E735FA8-3F1B-4647-A089-9BF1B230B61A (resized).jpeg6E735FA8-3F1B-4647-A089-9BF1B230B61A (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#648 6 years ago

390 Mio GC - 160 is only 1st Just ask ALF (Markus Stix) -- Awesome endurance, I'd say... It took him 3 hours, no extra balls, during multiball he increased the Jackpot to 10(?) Million and got it a few times every time he had multiball.

2 weeks later
#663 6 years ago

Happy New Year!

Quoted from Shredso:

Has anyone tried the 3D FunHouse translite with LED's? I tried LED's with my original and it washed it out. The whole playfield is LED and the translite looks really dull with incandescent lamps.

I tried it, trashed it a few times, re-did it and now it looks fantastic... the print (-ing technique) is barely comparable to anything you might have seen when it comes to translites. It’s really, really dense and we have a white diffuser layer on the back that evens out and spreads the LED light, so you don’t get hot spots. Funhouse was very carefully color corrected. Sure, I’m biased, but you can trust me - as I don’t have any share on sales

1 month later
#669 6 years ago

yeah, update

I'm busy as f@#* for no reason at all - I blame it on my RL customers We picked up work on ToTAN again - along with another new title. Looks like it's going to be a busy spring for the 3D translites rather than a calm winter season

Mario.

totan_fu (resized).jpgtotan_fu (resized).jpg

#674 6 years ago

Me too

1 month later
#677 6 years ago

Bump? Yeah, I literally just finished TOTAN And I mean right now. Just came here to post the end result.... It's gonna be great, as there are lots of layer and different depths really close to each other.

For a preview, you'd need anaglyph glasses or for us old folks from the 90ies, you may also cross-eye the colored one. All others can refer to the z-buffer greyscale image, that might give a sense of depth.

3-4 weeks for production, 3-4 weeks shipping.

And... well, s'up Maverick? )))))

TOTAN_done_zbuffer.jpgTOTAN_done_zbuffer.jpg

TOTAN_done_xid.jpgTOTAN_done_xid.jpg

TOTAN_done.jpgTOTAN_done.jpg

1 month later
#682 5 years ago

We don't have a go from the license holder yet...

F14 is being scanned, restored (not really needed as I found a NOS one, but hey, it should be perfect, right?) and dissected right now.

At least I don't do Queen or Playboy

1 week later
#683 5 years ago

Hmmm... Still nothing. No feedback. What’s happening?

Crazy times in the pinball universe? F14 almost done too... hello world? ping?

3 weeks later
#686 5 years ago

I honestly have no idea or any information. Let the other guys chime in...

1 week later
#688 5 years ago

Neither Henrik nor I got any feedback. I’m sitting here on 2 finished translites, the 3rd ready to go... no reaction. Hmmm... that’s kinda weird. And astonishing. And kinda scary.

The printing guy also sits on 2 metric tons of lenticular sheets for those 3 runs.

Annoying.

#697 5 years ago

Yeah, PPS never had any rights that mattered to FarSight Studios as far as I can remember as a beta tester/massive backer there.

Just returned from hospital (nothing too serious, no worries, just got a whole WPC95 cable harness attached to me ), I really don't have any answers, but according to Henrik he doesn't get any feedback. And I really highly doubt he's talking to WMS/Bally/Cesar's directly...

Maybe both Henrik and Rick can (re-)join here and clarify?

4 weeks later
#701 5 years ago

Hi... no, I didn’t do anything further. Like no fly through or such.

Insert tumbleweed passing through here

I’ll keep you posted. Has anyone heard of Remake number 3 yet? Announced? Release date? Those fabulous guys working on the great remake animations?
I’m a little busy right now and changed pinball priority to quite low.

#702 5 years ago

So, after my promise, that I’ll keep you updated, here is the

Update: I just got confirmation that we tried to contact the license holder several times, but didn’t get any response in 3 months. No email, no phone, no skype.

Not that I made any single cent off these 3D translites (quite contrary shipping to creative winners in Australia is expensive lol!), I’m quite pissed that I have 3 translites ready (100%, 90% and 50%) that can’t be released, but I invested time and energy in these...

#711 5 years ago

Ok, then - just keep ME posted, please

3 weeks later
#715 5 years ago

Henrik contacted everybody afaik. Not only are we sitting here on work/art done, but also on literally a metric ton of lenticular sheets. No joking 800kg...

I'll ask Henrik to join here...

#726 5 years ago

I see no good reason to sue anyone - at least from my side - as no real money/inovices/financial loss is involved. My only loss is time and faith in promises made.
Also the US law is somewhat not exactly what I would like to challenge from this side of the pond

See, Henrik and I are friends, and I did everything for the sake of making a cool product. And Henrik restores some playfields for me as a counter deal only our printing expert has invested quite a pile of money for that pile of lenticular sheets.

It’s really sad to see a cool product fade away.

...and I still don’t have a F14/?B/totan/C???? 3D translite (proto) installed because they don’t exist...

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

I suggest you contact Rick

What do you think we tried to do since march?

Glad he’s back... Pinball-Dreams ....

7 months later
#744 5 years ago

So many great Titles....
Hate to see this die out.

You can’t imagine how much I hate it.

For the WH2O translite mentioned above: this motive just isn’t ideal for 3D converting thus you don’t see what you might expect. Go and find a RFM, FT or FH

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mayuh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-translites-next-titles-wh2o-and-afm?tu=mayuh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.