New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 154824)

3D Translites - next titles Wh2O and AFM

By Pinball-Dreams

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 784 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 100 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC04242 (resized).JPG
DSC04241 (resized).JPG
DSC04240 (resized).JPG
89030A2D-C842-4C93-98A1-AD2277C62DD4 (resized).png
TOTAN_done.jpg
TOTAN_done_xid.jpg
TOTAN_done_zbuffer.jpg
A80D8592-1EC6-40E9-88C6-EB55E674F1B8 (resized).jpeg
totan_fu (resized).jpg
20171227_181909 (resized).jpg
20171227_181909 (resized).jpg
BOP1 (resized).jpg
Funhouse  (resized).jpg
Title (resized).jpg
1FFF3A95-D16B-4050-874C-036B9A6C3D44 (resized).jpeg
6E735FA8-3F1B-4647-A089-9BF1B230B61A (resized).jpeg

There are 784 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 16.
#451 3 years ago

RfM Status: 98% done ...I'm on it

Glad you got your ToMs shipped too - I just got mine from the production. And we really appreciate that you like them!

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

RfM Status: 98% done ...I'm on it

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Can't wait to get this. The money is burning a hole in my pocket.

1 week later
#453 3 years ago

Naughty little Martian... he's so dominant. But we nailed him. Now. The third time...

IMG_0537 (resized).PNG

#454 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Naughty little Martian... he's so dominant. But we nailed him. Now. The third time...

That's lookin GREAT. I'm gonna get a couple of them. Is it possible to make his eyes follow you when you move?

#455 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's lookin GREAT. I'm gonna get a couple of them. Is it possible to make his eyes follow you when you move?

...unfortunately only in 2D. We need the extra pics that are used for that sort of animation to make the stereoscopic impression work. 42 - 64 unique views to be exact

#456 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

...unfortunately only in 2D. We need the extra pics that are used for that sort of animation to make the stereoscopic impression work. 42 - 64 unique views to be exact

OK, I was just wondering. Your doing such a wonderful job on this, we are really lucky that you are doing this. How many layers are you up to?

#457 3 years ago

Thanks! I must also thank Henrik and his crew (Ulrich) for doing such an awesome job in Photoshop. Every gap, all the background is completly new and perfectly touched up and reconstructed.

Layers?...phew, at least 10, maybe 12 )))

I let you do the maths...

Anyway, this time I went for a new approach due to the massive number of layers and overlapping. We sculpted most of the objects.

Maybe some day I will have the real good ones 3D printed. I have a cool company in the neighborhood, that can do 3D prints with color: https://www.layerlab.net/sculpture (german unfortunately, but scroll down, you get the idea )

IMG_1400 (resized).jpg
layers (resized).jpg

#458 3 years ago

are you having to re-create the artwork all by hand and then create layers from that?!?

given that this is an officially licensed product, I would hope that rick would be able to supply some of the source material to make your job a bit easier

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Thanks! I must also thank Henrik and his crew (Ulrich) for doing such an awesome job in Photoshop. Every gap, all the background is completly new and perfectly touched up and reconstructed.
Layers?...phew, at least 10, maybe 12 )))
I let you do the maths...
Anyway, this time I went for a new approach due to the massive number of layers and overlapping. We sculpted most of the objects.
Maybe some day I will have the real good ones 3D printed. I have a cool company in the neighborhood, that can do 3D prints with color: https://www.layerlab.net/sculpture (german unfortunately, but scroll down, you get the idea )

Wow. But that's all Greek to me.

#460 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

are you having to re-create the artwork all by hand and then create layers from that?!?
given that this is an officially licensed product, I would hope that rick would be able to supply some of the source material to make your job a bit easier

Hahahahahhaaaaaa.... no. There was unfortunately no such thing as layered painting when the artwork was created...

What we have to do is get/scan the artwork, make it perfect digitally (like you'd restore old films), dissect each end every object, and imagine a background that should be there. Once that is done, I need to do a 3D 'clay' scene where the layers are projected onto. Plus all the tricks that work perfectly in 2D have to be translated to 3D.
Last step is optimizing the scenery for lenticular print. Which is pure witchcraft as some 40 different views of the scene are somehow decoded to two separate left and right images only your brain is able to combine to a true 3D image again. That's why they look nothing like the real thing in photos or videos. Check out the fly-throughs you'll see what I mean...

Usually 2-3 weeks of manpower. RFM more like 3-4 months. I bet we could do F14 in a week...

#461 3 years ago

OMG! Thats insane! You must have an insane level of patience, I'm in awe.

#462 3 years ago

I've got a reasonably good eye for detail and generally speaking i'm a rather patient person BUT just thinking about the work behind this is making my head hurt

#463 3 years ago

I'll try to do a making of, as soon as we're done. So you all can collectivly feel sorry for us

Just kidding! It's fun. And a good distraction from my everyday projects. And it's pinball! FTW!

#464 3 years ago

Amazing work!
I can't wait to here the next title.
My Fish Tales never looked better. I love the depth, detail and color. Vivid is a good word for it.
Please tell me, there is an easter egg somewhere? By the boat dock? I keep looking can't find it??
Thanks again for all the hard work.

#465 3 years ago

It's not a Easter egg per se, but: Ah, come on... it's so obvious. And honestly it was necessary to work in 3D. The 'title' says it all. You'd literally 'step' on it... no more hints

Btw. Since I installed the 3D translite on my FT the lift rim looks like it's bend outwards because the big wave is a good two inches in front of it... weird...

#466 3 years ago

4 layers to go... grab your anaglyph glasses....

IMG_0545 (resized).PNG

#467 3 years ago

Looking AWESOME!!! I'm going to have to get on the list. I have to wear the glasses I have upside down.

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

4 layers to go... grab your anaglyph glasses....

I can hardly wait.

#469 3 years ago

That looks seriously awesome! Can't wait to buy one!! Really nice work!

#470 3 years ago

fantastic! this is the first time that I'm glad that I:
1) own a machine that this is being done for
2) actually own a pair of anaglyph glasses and have a use for them

you've seriously knocked it out of the park on this one. hat's off to you sir!

#471 3 years ago

Wow. As soon as RFM is done and available from PPS, this will be mine!
Love the 3D translite on my Medieval Madness but I think this one will look even greater. And I always thought it was weird to see the "in 3D" sign not be in 3D!

#472 3 years ago
Quoted from AxleMunshine:

And I always thought it was weird to see the "in 3D" sign not be in 3D!

someone secure the CftbL Lic, please! There must be an Unviversal employee/manager among us pinheads here...

#473 3 years ago

RFM done. Cold beer: Needed!

Flythrough... coming soon (ish) - Prototype has priority

Damn, I love the cow! She's my favorite - MOO MOO )

Those spikes at the edges of the layers are just artefacts that occur when the layers' 3D resolution doesn't match the pixel resolution. 128Gb of RAM is just too little

RFM_final_V1.0 (resized).png

#474 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

RFM done. Cold beer: Needed!
Flythrough... coming soon (ish) - Prototype has priority
Damn, I love the cow! She's my favorite - MOO MOO )
Those spikes at the edges of the layers are just artefacts that occur when the layers' 3D resolution doesn't match the pixel resolution. 128Gb of RAM is just too little

Well come on over and I'll buy you that beer....and a few more. My money is ready whenever you are.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well come on over and I'll buy you that beer....and a few more. My money is ready whenever you are.

+1

#476 3 years ago

+ 2 and i'll throw in some good ol homebrew whisky also

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

+ 2 and i'll throw in some good ol homebrew whisky also

What kind of rot gut you tryin to pawn off now.

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What kind of rot gut you tryin to pawn off now

LOL, well it's not as kick arse as your bloody moonshine, it's not like i'm trying to power the Mars space rocket boosters
OOOOO got some really tasty butterscotch schnapps too

#479 3 years ago

When will wh20 be back in stock?

#480 3 years ago

looking to purchase a few of these when they are available for sale as well

#481 3 years ago

...standard gear in my company's sever room

IMG_0915 (resized).JPG

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Beer?

#483 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

I've got skills, can I work at your company?

#484 3 years ago

...you bet! 30 liters on tap - best Murauer Beer... actually having one right now - because I finished the promo video too.

May I have your attention for a minute?! I also edited in some very brief shots of how it's made, if you're interested. If not, it's just a few seconds

#485 3 years ago

Beer are work, that's crazy. That vid is unbelievable, the way you can see "around" picture elements.I know it won't look that clean in real life but WOW it's stunning. I'm gonna have a local group buy so I hope we can get a few bucks off. OUTSTANDING job on this one. I hope the first one from the printer comes out great and you don't have to "tweak" anything.

#486 3 years ago

Soooo nice! looking forward to see it next to my TOM that just arrived safely. thanks mario for doing this awesome work!! Beer is well deserved
Cheers!

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

...you bet! 30 liters on tap - best Murauer Beer... actually having one right now - because I finished the promo video too.
May I have your attention for a minute?! I also edited in some very brief shots of how it's made, if you're interested. If not, it's just a few seconds
ยป YouTube video

Wow! That looks awesome. Do you have any idea what the price will be once released?

#488 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Wow! That looks awesome. Do you have any idea what the price will be once released?

I know it sounds like I am a terrible person, but between us pinheads: Way too low 4 man months worth of work, plus the lenticular wizard... then the production costs Either we sell 10.000 or it should be 500+

Nah seriously, should be the same price as always. I just love to do them, no matter what time it takes.
Get it right, or die trying

And I'm very grateful for your patience. The RFM translite should have been done end of last year, but it just didn't work the way I did it first. So I had to start over. As mentioned before, there are too many layers to just arrange them in 3D and call it done. This time I revisited the FT/TOM approach and worked out every single detail for each layer (like the boat and the fish on FT) and placed them on rather narrow middle plane. That way, everything is more in focus, and I have full control over what may be exaggerated (a little blurry, but doesn't matter, like the wave and background on FT and the magic ball on TOM).

I really appreciate that you don't rush me

Talking of rushing people... F14! BoP! Funhouse!

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

got the ToM 3D translate!!! wow!

I bet the 3D cleavage looks amazing.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I bet the 3D cleavage looks amazing.

I don't think the Martian has cleavage.

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

I just love to do them, no matter what time it takes.
Get it right, or die trying

I'm glad your on our side.

#492 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I don't think the Martian has cleavage.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

got the ToM 3D translate!!! wow!

ToM 3D translate!!! No Martians...

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Beer are work, that's crazy.

Our office has 6 floors and we have 2 kegs on each floor. Pretty typical for tech companies in California.

BTW, anxiously excited for RFM, any word on when it will be available for purchase?

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Our office has 6 floors and we have 2 kegs on each floor. Pretty typical for tech companies in California.
BTW, anxiously excited for RFM, any word on when it will be available for purchase?

Dang that's nuts. LOL

I imagine when all is said and done probably a month till PPS has them ready to ship.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Dang that's nuts. LOL
I imagine when all is said and done probably a month till PPS has them ready to ship.

My Fishtales translite shipped today and will arrive tomorrow! Cant wait...

#496 3 years ago

Got the Fish Tales today. Amazing: ordered, shipped and installed in 48hrs. As well, no defects or damages.

I will buy all of the below, I am sure owners of these titles will also
PLEASE MAKE:

- Doctor Who
- Williams: Indiana Jones
- Judge Dredd
- DE: Star Wars
- DE: Jurassic Park
- The Simpsons Pinball Party
- Johnny Mnemonic

#497 3 years ago

I guess technically speaking i was the first to have one winning the prototype and every time i even walk past the machine i always stop, admire, move side to side These are truly awesome. I'd be up for a Judge Dredd one for sure, and BOP

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I guess technically speaking i was the first to have one winning the prototype and every time i even walk past the machine i always stop, admire, move side to side These are truly awesome. I'd be up for a Judge Dredd one for sure, and BOP

He's gonna be busy for the rest of his life making these. Talk about job security. Don't forget about Getaway.

#499 3 years ago

Bump for Judge Dredd

#500 3 years ago

Fire!
Would love this title done.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 89.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vancouver, BC
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 9.99
Various Other Swag
Circus Maximus
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 16.00
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Special When Lit
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 79.99
FlyLand Designs
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 29.95
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 784 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside