(Topic ID: 106460)

3D computer generated Addams Family(Now Getting 3d Printed!!)

By 3rdaxis

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 265 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3d_Pinball2_23_FS (resized).jpg
3d_Pinball2_22D.jpg
3d_Pinball2_22.jpg
3d_Pinball2_11.jpg
3d_Pinball2_10.jpg
3d_Pinball2_9.jpg
3d_Pinball2_23_FS.jpg
VPX_DT_TAF_SS.png
clay3.jpg
clay2.jpg
clay.jpg
11647259_10153348891750568_547491577_n.jpg
11650686_10153348891300568_1255616130_n.jpg
11657300_10153339131910568_12010952_n.jpg
11653234_10153337631475568_1980455812_n.jpg
11653197_10153337313195568_1486314141_n.jpg
There are 265 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 9 years ago

My second 3D model of a pinball machine. This time its The Addams Family! Using 3ds Max with a Nvidia rendering, photo-metric light scattering and Arch Design materials. I should be able to replicate it perfectly but its not going to be easy. 49 pieces of plastic alone! lol. I was lucky enough to have a friend generously lend me his beautifully restored machine so that helps

This is what i have so far...

TAF_RENDER.jpgTAF_RENDER.jpg
TAF_RENDER_4.jpgTAF_RENDER_4.jpg
TAF_RENDER_7.jpgTAF_RENDER_7.jpg
TAF_RENDER_9.jpgTAF_RENDER_9.jpg
TAF_RENDER_13.jpgTAF_RENDER_13.jpg
TAF_RENDER_15.jpgTAF_RENDER_15.jpg
TAF_RENDER_16.jpgTAF_RENDER_16.jpg

273038 (1).jpg273038 (1).jpg
Playfield_OM.jpgPlayfield_OM.jpg

#2 9 years ago

My very good friends beautiful Addams machine for reference.

IMAG0706.jpgIMAG0706.jpg IMAG0707.jpgIMAG0707.jpg IMAG0708.jpgIMAG0708.jpg
#3 9 years ago

TAF_RENDER_19.jpgTAF_RENDER_19.jpg TAF_RENDER_20.jpgTAF_RENDER_20.jpg
#4 9 years ago

TAF_RENDER_21.jpgTAF_RENDER_21.jpg TAF_RENDER_22.jpgTAF_RENDER_22.jpg
#5 9 years ago

nice

#6 9 years ago

Coming along slowly. Almost finished with all the metal work. Didn't realize how many pieces there were. Still tweaking the plastics trying to get them right. I am saving the best for last which is the main and only plastic ramp. Should be fun. Will definitely require some "box modeling" techniques to get a smooth and organic plastic molded shape. I prefer using this style of molding for this type of piece it really gives me a lot of control.

TAF_RENDER_23-529.jpgTAF_RENDER_23-529.jpg
BMT.jpgBMT.jpg
BMT2.jpgBMT2.jpg
BMT3.jpgBMT3.jpg

#7 9 years ago

Pushing threw

TAF_RENDER_25.jpgTAF_RENDER_25.jpg
#8 9 years ago

this is really cool. will it be playable?

#9 9 years ago

Possibly, Been messing around with Future pinball using pre-rendered images. Difficult though to simulate the ball being "hidden" behind objects from the camera's perspective but possible. Would be awesome. I'm sure pinball video games will get to this level one day. Maybe i should start a kickstarter? hahaha

#10 9 years ago

Alright i need a logo...lol

#11 9 years ago

Beautiful stuff 3rdaxis! Very inspirational work. I have not modeled for a couple years but this makes me want to again.

Keith

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from kpull:

Beautiful stuff 3rdaxis!

Thanks kpull. Its definitely sparked my 3d interest again doing pinball machines.

#13 9 years ago

TAF_RENDER_26.jpgTAF_RENDER_26.jpg
#14 9 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Coming along slowly. Almost finished with all the metal work. Didn't realize how many pieces there were. Still tweaking the plastics trying to get them right. I am saving the best for last which is the main and only plastic ramp. Should be fun. Will definitely require some "box modeling" techniques to get a smooth and organic plastic molded shape. I prefer using this style of molding for this type of piece it really gives me a lot of control.

TAF_RENDER_23-529.jpg 269 KB

BMT.jpg 42 KB

BMT3.jpg 44 KB

BMT2.jpg 182 KB

Nice 300ZX, still have mine in the garage 1995.

#15 9 years ago

Is it real, or is it Memorex?

#16 9 years ago

can someone explain to a dummy what is the process to do this?

are you taking apart a game and taking pictures/measuremnets of every peice and then reassembling it electronically?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

are you taking apart a game and taking pictures/measuremnets of every peice and then reassembling it electronically?

Yes more or less you nailed it. A friend let me use his machine and i measure every piece make a simple sketch of the object with dimensions and very accurately draw it in 3dsMax which is a lot like Auto Cad. After the piece is modeled i apply the appropriate materials and textures. Some pieces like the plastics get scanned into the computer so i can create the geometry based on these images and use the scanned image as the objects texture. Luckily i had a very generous person give me the complete plastic set from Pinside which relieved me of a lot of work.

#18 9 years ago

Its been a lot of work but this being my second model i now have a library of pieces to use over and over so it is getting easier to produce with every pinball machine i model. Since most of the parts are the same within that manufacturer's line they go together that mush faster. Having a good playfield image is the most important part and the most difficult to find. Without that it would be impossible to get the correct layout. But with popular games like The Addams Family there is a lot of content on the internets to use.

#19 9 years ago

And yes, it is Memorex.

cropped-memorex-ad-21.jpgcropped-memorex-ad-21.jpg
#20 9 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Possibly, Been messing around with Future pinball using pre-rendered images. Difficult though to simulate the ball being "hidden" behind objects from the camera's perspective but possible. Would be awesome. I'm sure pinball video games will get to this level one day. Maybe i should start a kickstarter? hahaha

Don't waste your time in FP. The game play is horrific. Give physmod5 for visual pinball a try if you want to try and build it in a running enviroment. Still wont ever be like the real thing but at least you'll be able to hit what you aim for. With the new VP you can use 3d models via primatives. It would be a resource hog but you could make everything out of a model if you wanted to.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

TAF_RENDER_20.jpg 170 KB

TAF_RENDER_19.jpg 424 KB

Wow, awesome.

The first picture looks like a hand drawing. Is that something you found online or drew out yourself? Extremely impressive.

#22 9 years ago

very cool and thanks for explaination

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Is that something you found online or drew out yourself

Thats the program i use. It has different preview styles in the viewports thats all your looking at kind of a real-time Photoshop filter.

#24 9 years ago

Any chance these models could be used in a PC pinball program like Future Pinball?

#25 9 years ago

Visual Pinball would be ideal since it has full PinMAME support, reworked physics, and low system requirements. I would imagine raytracing a game with this level of detail with all the dynamic mapping, ambient occlusion, reflections, depth of field, etc. would be quite impractical without using prerendered images for Visual Pinball.

#26 9 years ago

I dont think VP 10 is out yet or the latest release with the new physics. Waiting on that one

#27 9 years ago

It looks like physmod5 has been out for some time.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27416

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

I dont think VP 10 is out yet or the latest release with the new physics. Waiting on that one

Quoted from Crash:

It looks like physmod5 has been out for some time.
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27416

Yeah. They are adding additional features for VP10 but physmod5 is it predecessor.

#29 9 years ago

This is a render of the Firepower machine i modeled for FP and or VP. After creating some simple invisible geometry in VP for collisions it works great but still had the issue of hiding the ball behind objects that are supposed to be there to pull off the illusion. I think i have a solution but havn't had the time to mess around with it yet.

FP_Testwm.jpgFP_Testwm.jpg
#30 9 years ago

Dang it man, target foam. TARGET FOAM!!

#31 9 years ago

Hahahaha Maybe the previous owner wore out the old ones and never replaced them and i forgot to install new ones

1 week later
#32 9 years ago

Cabinet basically done

TAF_RENDER_28.jpgTAF_RENDER_28.jpg
#33 9 years ago

Crap, forgot about the backbox hinges

#34 9 years ago

looks great. SUcks you have to use future pinball to make it playable. Physics are so bad on that version. It's a shame visual pinball doesn't support true 3d

#35 9 years ago

TAF_RENDER_29.jpgTAF_RENDER_29.jpg
#36 9 years ago

I'd be nice if Pro Pinball swept it up and made a playable pre-rendered style version like Timeshock. I would piss my pants.

#37 9 years ago

TAF_RENDER_30.jpgTAF_RENDER_30.jpg
#38 9 years ago

TAF_RENDER_31.jpgTAF_RENDER_31.jpg
#39 9 years ago

Coming along....slowly

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg
#40 9 years ago

I little box modeling

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg
#41 9 years ago

Untitled2.jpgUntitled2.jpg
Final fitting

#42 9 years ago

Untitled3.jpgUntitled3.jpg
#43 9 years ago

Untitled4.jpgUntitled4.jpg
#44 9 years ago

Untitled5.jpgUntitled5.jpg
#45 9 years ago

6 hours in. Time for a render

#46 9 years ago

Loos good I like it. I'm surprised that some team hasn't yet made an open source 3D pinball simulator. Future pinball would probably be great if it was open source and the original author didn't go completely crazy and just leave.

#47 9 years ago

Thanks man, yea that would be cool. i'm sure someone will pick it up sooner or later with pinball popularity on the rise.

#48 9 years ago

TAF_RENDER_32.jpgTAF_RENDER_32.jpg
#49 9 years ago

VERY nice, really hoping to see it translated to VP someday.

#50 9 years ago

TAF_RENDER_34.jpgTAF_RENDER_34.jpgStill need to tweak the clear plastic material a bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 1,059.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 265 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.