IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20240407_100723 (resized).jpg
20240407_100751 (resized).jpg
20240407_100811 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wjxxxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3250 1 year ago

A shameless ask for help.

My CAD/design skill are approximately zero currently, and after trying and failing to many times I need help.

I want/need an stl file of a leg attached to a machine with the bolts. (as in the picture). Preferably a Stern with standard bolts and washers being used.

It only needs to be from the top of the leg to about an inch below the bottom bolt, and include half an inch of the cabinet from the sides of the leg.

Happy to share the thinking and reasoning with whoever could take the time to help - it's a REALLY cool idea.

Thanks

leg (resized).pngleg (resized).png
#3251 1 year ago

In other news.

I take a lot of machines to shows, not always mine.
A common frustration is misplaced bolts, or balls. These usually all get thrown together in the coinbox or a plastic bag, which can cause the balls to be scratched.

Seeing as I now have a 3D printer (Flashforge Adventurer 3) I decided to come up with a carry case for all of the bolts and balls.

The challenge was the fact that the print bed is only 150 x 150mm. So to come up with a design which fit 6 balls, 8 leg bolts and 2 back box locking bolts in was a challenge to say the least. In the end it took @epotech's skill to come up with this.

It even has space for all of the leg bolt washers and (if not a Stern) a single long back box locking bolt. Holds together securely with magnets.

20221205_175600 (resized).jpg20221205_175600 (resized).jpg
#3257 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

great idea. is the file shared anywhere?

Not yet, as I intend to start selling them in the UK, depending on interest.

Will see how that goes before making a decision on sharing file.

#3272 1 year ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

You trying to make leg spacers? I already have a file for ones I made at home for my early Stern and Bally machines that i can upload later today. The ones I print are undersized so you can not see them the and the legs look to be floating away from the cabinet surfaces similar to the new Sterns.
[quoted image]

Not it's not for leg spacers - Sterns come with them already fitted now.

It's for something new, or at least I hadn't seen the thing that inspired my idea until very recently.

#3308 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Heck, I wouldn't waste the time printing the base - I'd just get a nice beveled shelf at Home Depot and screw in a couple of vertical hanger supports so the letters are an inch or so off the backbox (ceiling permitting, of course). That looks amazing!

I've been guilty of this myself. Just because you can 3D print, doesn't mean you should - it's not always the best option.
I spent 4 days printing something which needed assembling, and wasn't happy with it. Made it out of wood in a couple of hours instead.

1 week later
#3375 1 year ago

This may be a stupid idea, or it may be genius

The only way I can see to get a smooth finish with PLA is to sand. Not a massive problem but a bit time consuming and fiddly for more intricate prints. Has anybody tried putting their build in to a tumbler?
Obviously only for a small length of time and constantly monitoring (before it wears it down to nothing) to see if that does the job.

1 week later
#3523 1 year ago
Quoted from wireable:

I made some lights to help illuminate your pinball playfield.

Nice job, these look similar to these I made over 3 years ago (well before Pinstadium produced their version which attaches to the machine externally)
https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/portable-pinstadium-alternative.44412/

You could wrap the assembled parts with a vinyl wrap, which would also provide stability and improve the cosmetic look.

1 month later
#4037 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Well, the guy who's doing the printing for me is the 3D printing/manufacturing professor at a local polytechnic/STEM high school. I'd hope he knows all that stuff!
I also really appreciate the offer, too. Normally, I'd be more than happy to share what it is and send it for review, but there are two reasons why I can't:
1) Ultimately, the piece will be laser cut and formed from steel, so the printing in plastic is just for proof of concept and perfecting the measurements of things. If being made of plastic was strong enough for its application, I'd just release it since I know people would just scan it and print it for themselves anyway.
2) This part will work on a nice range of games that a ton of people have and could sell really well as I believe it to be extremely useful and helpful. I'd hate for something like that to get out and have someone else start making it and selling it before I had my shot at it. Once I do start selling it, I'm certain this will happen anyway, but it'd be nice to at least get the credit(and a little change in my pocket) for the idea.
Nothing personal, no offense intended, but thanks for the offer!

Understood that you don't want to share your idea until it's ready to go out of the door in case it's reproduced or copied before it gets to market. I've had a couple of things ripped off already, and coincidentally 2 different pinball manufacturers have just released things on their latest machines which I've been working on for many months and just getting the finer details sorted.

What I would suggest is going on to a generic 3D printing forum and discuss there. That way you could PM someone who will have no interest (or contacts) whatsoever in pinball and thus not steal your idea.

(I did something similar with my carriers - found someone not into pinball who had half a dozen printers, and sent him the STLs to print for me. Zero chance that he would rip me off for 2 reasons. Firstly he didn't have the contacts to market them, secondly there wasn't enough profit to make it worthwhile for him to go searching. Got me a decent stock ready to go)

Setting a price point is what is going to the most important factor here. Too high and people will go to the effort of copying and reproducing (especially if it's purely a physical item), too low and it's not worth your time and effort. Just don't get greedy.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

2 weeks later
#4098 1 year ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

In other news.
I take a lot of machines to shows, not always mine.
A common frustration is misplaced bolts, or balls. These usually all get thrown together in the coinbox or a plastic bag, which can cause the balls to be scratched.
Seeing as I now have a 3D printer (Flashforge Adventurer 3) I decided to come up with a carry case for all of the bolts and balls.
The challenge was the fact that the print bed is only 150 x 150mm. So to come up with a design which fit 6 balls, 8 leg bolts and 2 back box locking bolts in was a challenge to say the least. In the end it took epotech's skill to come up with this.
It even has space for all of the leg bolt washers and (if not a Stern) a single long back box locking bolt. Holds together securely with magnets.
[quoted image]

Have now created 3 other varieties, 2 by request, 1 for completion.

A single ball EM version, which will hold all 4 long backbox bolts and washers.
20230326_195404 (resized).jpg20230326_195404 (resized).jpg
Another for backboxes secured by wingbolts - 4 balls max.
20230223_210719 (resized).jpg20230223_210719 (resized).jpg

Finally one where the backbox is locked with an Allen key - 6 balls
20230326_195351 (resized).jpg20230326_195351 (resized).jpg

#4119 1 year ago

Naomi Wu discussing the Creality 3D Printmill - infinite print length.

Has anybody experience with this?

1 week later
#4168 1 year ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I've been guilty of this myself. Just because you can 3D print, doesn't mean you should - it's not always the best option.
I spent 4 days printing something which needed assembling, and wasn't happy with it. Made it out of wood in a couple of hours instead.

It seems relevant to repeat this again.

1 month later
#4361 10 months ago
Quoted from RobF:

I am prepping my games for NWPAS and made keychains to help the techs find mine easier.
[quoted image]

I've been doing similar

20230520_190421 (resized).jpg20230520_190421 (resized).jpg20230520_190432 (resized).jpg20230520_190432 (resized).jpg20230520_232515 (resized).jpg20230520_232515 (resized).jpg20230521_015357 (resized).jpg20230521_015357 (resized).jpg20230522_162523 (resized).jpg20230522_162523 (resized).jpg20230522_210214 (resized).jpg20230522_210214 (resized).jpg20230522_231240 (resized).jpg20230522_231240 (resized).jpg20230523_000830 (resized).jpg20230523_000830 (resized).jpg20230523_225937 (resized).jpg20230523_225937 (resized).jpg20230523_232553 (resized).jpg20230523_232553 (resized).jpg20230524_181307 (resized).jpg20230524_181307 (resized).jpg20230524_223308 (resized).jpg20230524_223308 (resized).jpg20230524_231221 (resized).jpg20230524_231221 (resized).jpg

These actually look awful in close up without any cleanup!

They don't look like that in reality

#4364 10 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What printer? I'm curious if it supports ironing

It's a Flashforge Adventurer 3. It does support ironing, and I have used that on some larger prints. As these were only printed with a 0.4mm nozzle in Fast mode they took less than 12 minutes each on average (most of the time taken up with changing the filament). Seeing as I'll be giving them out to people who donate machines to a couple of comps I'm running I didn't go for perfect quality. (Although I am mightily impressed with the luminous Godzilla Key)

My friend who has a Creality printer is always amazed at the quality of the prints and is considering switching.
The major downsides of the Adventurer are the small print size 150x150x150mm and relatively slow print speed, but ease of use, quality of print and ease in changing nozzles, filament and print bed more than make up for them - especially when coupled with the price.

20230602_134740 (resized).jpg20230602_134740 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#4591 9 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

Yeah I agree the cloud and license stuff is obnoxious. Forcing us to have a limit of models we can edit is stupid. Just let me use my local storage.

So you're saying that you should be able to have unlimited usage FREE, they should just give it to you?
Hardly a great business model

4 months later
#5351 4 months ago

Might have to knock off work early and get this in the house before it goes walkabouts

238556-be3f67426e1cffbdd6575c914dca8ecb (resized).jpg238556-be3f67426e1cffbdd6575c914dca8ecb (resized).jpg
#5354 4 months ago
Quoted from koji:

Was just about to post this. Glad I live in a safe neighborhood.. or at least, I don't leave the house [quoted image]

At least your 2 parcels came on the same day.

I ordered the printer, some additional nozzles, and some extra PLA. They came in 3 deliveries on 3 different days.

Have to say that after a couple of test prints this thing is amazing

3 weeks later
#5580 4 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am hoping someday they have more options than they have today, like the ability to draw straight lines and whatnot.

They've just released a new update to Bambu Labs, and from a quick glance I saw a few bits about colouring.

They also thank Prusa in a lot of the notes, so they're obviously working closely together and sharing ideas

#5582 4 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Both slicers are based off the same source platform, so they are very likely not working together but implementing platform updates in their own way.
Release notes for Bambu Studio 1.8.2 | https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/releases
Release notes for Prusa Slicer 2.7.1 | https://files.prusa3d.com/?latest=slicer-stable&lng=en
FYI: I don't see any changes in the painting tool in this version.

As I said I only glanced through, I read 'embedding depth' as being able to set how deep you're painting.

And they explicitly thank PrusaSlicer (and individuals) 8 times hence the assumption of cooperation.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 135302 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-12-15 135302 (resized).png
#5609 4 months ago

Got my filament arriving for xmas

FB_IMG_1702829619169 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1702829619169 (resized).jpg
#5615 4 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Are you going to print a house?

A pinball machine

#5636 4 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

thomas reviewed those PEY beds. Looks like they don't stick as well as the smooth and textured beds

Got one due in the next day or so, will see how good it works on a P1S

#5656 4 months ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Got one due in the next day or so, will see how good it works on a P1S

So, plate arrived yesterday and I set it printing straight away.

First print didn't go great because I forgot to turn off AMS, and was intending on printing from the spool - but I let it run anyway. There was a bit of lifting in the corner facing the fan. I hadn't set a brim.
The holographic effect was impressive, but after rubbing my greasy fingers over it it just became a highly gloss print. Although I know that if I were to clean it with a degreaser the effect should return.

Second attempt I set the brim and printed from the spool holder as I intended. Result was much much better. Perfect print and fully glossy with the holographic effect.

20231221_083741 (resized).jpg20231221_083741 (resized).jpg20231221_083754 (resized).jpg20231221_083754 (resized).jpg
#5668 4 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

What's the technical part of what is happening with prints from these plates? Is there material transfer taking place between the plate and the print, making the plate eventually sacrificial? Or is it a surface thing that creates light refraction (mirrored) in the bottom surface?

There is no transfer of material at all.
It's all about refraction of light.

Try searching on BBC The Secret Genius of Modern Life , Series 2 Episode 1. About 23 mins in.
She makes holographic chocolate and explains it so much better than I could here

1 month later
#6191 67 days ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I just started into 3D printing but tried this technique as a test. It was pretty straightforward using Onshape at least. I created a simple text number "2" in this case extruded it to be 1 mm thick. I embedded it into the little tile shape and cut the 2 out of the tile but kept the two in the same place.
Select the two parts, and export as a file.
In Bambu Studio (I have an A1 printer) import the file and it picks up on the fact the there are two parts. Select to keep them together. Select different filaments for the two parts and print. I had the test done in no time.
For a more complicate logo you would need to create a perimeter of the graphic in something like InkScape and export from there as DXF or STEP. Import into OnShape or FreeCad and extrude into a solid. Then do the cut out as described above.
[quoted image]

If you're doing something simple like text, Bambu slicer has a function that can add text to your already imported file, and from there it's simple to change the colour.

For non-text items I've been playing around with Tinkercad.
AC (resized).pngAC (resized).png

This is a heart shutter box from Printables (https://www.printables.com/model/393765-shutter-box-heart). A friend wanted his company logo adding to it so that it could be given as a small gift (filled with sweets) to his clients.

I downloaded his logo as a jpeg, converted to SVG, then added to the box stl in Tinkercad.
From there I made the logo a 'hole' and blended the objects.
Then re-added the logo stl as a solid.

Export as stl, import into Bambu slicer and colour the logo and box.

Simples

#6230 64 days ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I feel foolish as I never looked. You are correct man .
I think for me this printer is going to have a slight leaning curve but with standard OVERTURE Pla it printed perfect on the first run. I did recalibrate it again after reading this

Not much of a learning curve though - it's printed directly on the spool that it's just for support, just need to read the instructions rather than rushing in (and then even worse going online to bitch about it). It's a VERY common user error with new to Bambu users.

At least with your previous experience of 3D printing you're unlikely to be bitching about warping and bed adhesion after a couple of months because you've never cleaned the printbed.

#6236 63 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I always stick with retinular infill. I've experimented with honeycomb and didn't find it the additional time to be worth it.

DO NOT USE grid infill on Bambu.

There's definitely something broken with it, and it cause multiple issues with the nozzle catching the 'horizontal line' while printing the 'vertical line' a known issue. I typically use Archimedean for infill pattern, and haven't had an issue since.

#6289 59 days ago

There's definitely nothing wrong with asking non-PINBALL (I'm not banished) purely 3D printing questions here, and is encouraged.
But there is a wider field of experience and knowledge on dedicated 3D printing forums and groups.

As much as I've learnt in this thread, I've learned so much more in Bambu printer specific groups.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wjxxxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=wjxxxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.