IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20240407_100723 (resized).jpg
20240407_100751 (resized).jpg
20240407_100811 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1385 2 years ago

Surprised to hear so many positives on the prusa. I have a prusa and a qidi x-pro and I'd 10x rather have the qidi than the prusa. It's just easier to work on, has less issues, and was even cheaper. Prusa has the bigger build plate and maybe slightly better quality, but that doesn't do much good when your prints have a tendency to form giant filament balls around the printhead when things go wrong every 30 or 40 prints. I'm not really a Prusa fan after using it a lot, it's just overpriced for what it is in my opinion.

#1388 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

You definitely have an issue with your printer and it needs to be adjusted if that's happening. I literally just did the first maintenance on my prusa I've done in 2 years outside of tightening the belts once a year ago. Other than maintaning the buld plate. The material prusa uses really needs to be clean and using acetone is almost a must to get PEI really sticky and clean.
Filament ball around the nozzle sounds like a bed adhesion problem, unless it's happening during the print. Then it sounds like a clogged nozzle.

When the qidi print has an adhesion issue, it just falls off the plate. When it happens on a prusa, you get this huge mess. The printer is fine and the bed adhesion is fine, it's just occasionally that when I'm printing the exact same print over and over one time it will come loose for some reason or another, but then it will work fine for the next 30 or 40 prints.

9 months later
#2637 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

That's really impressive and with multi colour print too it is an extremely attractive price. Only a fraction more than a prusa + multi color addon. I always wonder how easy it is to service these fully enclosed machines though.

My prusa sucks compared to my qidi 3d enclosed printer. Qidi is 1000x more reliable.

2 weeks later
#2685 1 year ago
Quoted from Nds777:

I just wanted to pile on by recommending prusa. I have a mini and it has been hassle free. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time futzing around with the printer. Prusa is about as turnkey as you can get. Lots of support out there and I really like the pre configured filament setting profiles so there’s no guess work with a lot of the filament brands.
I also have an SLA printer. I use the eco friendly resin that has less smell and water washable, so it’s a little less drama. In between prints I have been leaving the resin in the vat and just covering the whole printer with a cardboard box to protect it from light. Cleaning out the vat is the biggest pain with sla so I just leave it in. It settles out so I stir it up well with a cut down rubber squeegee. So far so good.

Prusa is great...until you have an issue. Then it's a piece of crap, lol. Mine was great until I started having this issue where it would occasionally break the print loose and then create this giant ball around itself. It did this several times until it killed the hotend completely. Other printer, no issue with this type of stuff. Replaced the hotend, now it's got some sort of bed leveling issue where one corner isn't quite right now for some reason. I'm so sick of messing with it that it has basically just sat for the past 6 to 12 months collecting dust while I print on my cheaper Qidi X-pro that rarely ever has issues despite 20x the print time of the prusa.

I make big prints, so this kind of issue is a huge problem because of the huge ball it makes when it fails. I don't know why it has a tendency to stick to itself but it does.

Basically I think you're better off with one of the enclosed printers at the same price + add a glass bed.

#2693 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

I really don't think this is a Prusa issue.. any printer can start having issues for a variety of reasons... and issues can often be cascading, damaging and decalibrating others aspects of the set up etc.

They can, but here is my qidi compared to my prusa

qidi
cheaper
same speed
enclosed
had pfte tube clog a couple times

prusa
more expensive
has temperature issues with sticking to the plate when it gets colder
has a tendency to form large balls on the hotend
had a board short that I had to program around literally
has a bed leveling issue

Basically, even though qidi is a much cheaper printer, the prusa mk2 that I own has been way more trouble prone. If I didn't own a more reliable printer at a cheaper price, I'd probably think better of the prusa, but it's just been so troublesome in comparison that I don't recommend it. When it works, it's great, it's when you have issues that it sucks, the qidi is way easier to service.

4 weeks later
#2825 1 year ago
Quoted from MC35:

Looks like a lot of info on this thread. I'm gonna be putting a 3D printer on my Christmas list for my family. While I read through some of these posts, any recommendations for a beginner printer?

Having been through this same thing a few years ago, I've bought 2 qidi's and one prusa. For a beginner, 100%, go qidi like this:

https://www.amazon.com/QIDI-TECHNOLOGY-Structure-Precision-Extruder/dp/B08S32JC4S/ref=sr_1_5

The CR printers and prusa's are printers for hackers. Great if you want to piecemeal together things into the greatest printer ever, awful out of the box experience and error prone. Qidi just prints right off the bat. No hassle, no issues. Has a touch screen instead of a cheap knob and character display.

Buying a qidi is like buying a dell pc, it's going to work and be pretty good. Buying a prusa is like building your own pc, it might far exceed what a dell can do but you also might have a lot of tweaking and issues to work through.

I just ordered a Bamboo carbon x-1 so I'm interested to see what it can do.

#2835 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

I vehemently disagree with this characterization. I'm not interested in hacking my printer at all, haven't had to tweak it, no issues to work through. Yet, my Prusa MK3S+ has worked flawlessly for over two years now. Not error prone, and a great "out of the box" experience.
Frankly, this sort of comment is exactly why "which printer is best" questions are useless in a forum like this and why people who want recommendations should go to a site dedicated to 3D printing. I'm sure you've got your reasons for lambasting Prusa printers, but there's no context and no feasible way to provide sufficient context, and so the discussion either just winds up being a pointless exchange of contradictions, or people get away with making unfounded comments without any pushback at all, and either way it's not helping the person who wanted advice.

I think the fact that I own one, have burnt out a main board and hot end in just basic use, and even hacked the source code to work around the main board short would lend credence to the fact that I'm not just making stuff up here. Glass bed on a qidi > the sheet on the prusa as well. I have nothing financial to gain by ripping a printer I own other than stating my experiences with it. It is not a good first printer because if you have issues it can very hard to solve them.

The majority of prusa users are doing all kinds of tweaks and upgrades to their printers, very few leave them at the base level. Qidi is horrible for upgrading, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who's trying to do anything like that. But if I compare the two printers just straight up:

qidi:
cheaper
has enclosure for better temp control, more materials
touch screen
easier to level
better user interface

prusa
bigger build area
can be upgraded in tons of ways

I was so excited when I bought the prusa (I think I have the same mk3s+, I'd have to go back and look, I may have misstated it before). I even bought the mmu2s+ with it, but sadly I've never taken it out of the box because I had so many issues with the base printer. I've probably printed 3000 to 4000 hours worth of stuff the past few years. I would love the prusa to be awesome but mine is a lemon evidently, and feels very overpriced in comparison to the qidi just from a build quality standpoint.

#2872 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just chiming in with everyone else to disagree and say my Prusa Mk3 was easy to use day one and has had almost no issues for years.

Welp, I just must the unlucky smuck who had his printer self destruct on him twice in limited use. I just expected more quality for the price. Like this is the GUI of the printer I use that's like 1/2 the price (mines not an x-max, but it's the same gui):

It's like infinitely easier to do things on. Even shows me what I'm printing.

I need to work on my prusa and get it going again here sometime. After I replaced the hotend it starting having this issue where things in the upper right corner of the build plate started to be poor quality, like there's some sort of leveling or alignment issue now. After that happened with my previous problems I haven't really turned it on in the past 6 months. I'd sell it if anyone is interested, everyone thinks this is the best well they can buy mine. Or buy my mmu2s kit, I'll sell that too.

Btw, if you guys really want more in depth knowledge about 3d printers, you should listen to the 3d printers today podcast, probably the best 3d printing podcast out there. Those two guys are experts and have had like every printer under the sun. Shockingly, also not high on prusa either, lol, I think mainly because they don't think it's a very good value for your money. So it's not just me, listen to the experts there and see what they say. Unfortunately, I didn't find their podcast till after I bought my prusa I don't think. They're doing things like E3d tool changer, etc. I do think that the prusa XL looks interesting, wish it was cheaper but it does what I want in a 3d printer.

1 week later
#2898 1 year ago

Got the Bambu X1 Carbon this week, finally got around to printing with it today. First impressions:

1) This printer is on a different level than the qidi and prusa I have. Like completely destroys them from a functionality/speed standpoint
2) The default plate I'm having issues getting stuff to stick properly. I've had this issue with almost every printer at first, either it sticks too much or too little and eventually I figure out the secret sauce.
3) I printed one of the things I think takes 8 hours on my qidi and like 7 hours on the prusa. On the Bambu it took 2 1/2 hours. Crazy fast.
4) I haven't tried multicolor yet but am trying that now. It was easy to setup.
5) Quality isn't better or worse than my other printers. About identical.
6) I can print remotely and monitor it via camera/app, and it even sends me notifications when things have gone wrong, and pauses the print if it detects issues.
7) It's built like a tank.
8) It's loud. Not a quiet printer due to the speed I think

I'll see how I like it as I go on. Key thing is what happens when there are issues and I'll have to use it longer to figure out the servicing part. I don't think it's as modifiable as other printers, I think it's pretty set in stone here. I'd really like to use a glass bed but I don't think that's supported yet unfortunately.

Just thought I would give my impressions for now.

#2902 1 year ago

First test of the multicolor went well. Did you have bed adhesion issues on yours when you started? Everything on it is top notch, I just need to figure out how to get stuff to stick to the cool plate.

73F71358-C232-4CE1-A2CB-E4FE6F23635F (resized).jpeg73F71358-C232-4CE1-A2CB-E4FE6F23635F (resized).jpeg
#2906 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

That print looks great. No adhesion issues getting the prints to stick, just the opposite. Prints stick too well to the cool plate if untreated. The glue stick they suggest to use to allow for easy print removal. I remove The plate and spray it with Aqua Net because it’s so much easier and cleaner than glue stick. I only use that once in awhile for spot applications. I also bought their new textured PEI sheet recently.

This is actually the just launching and lower featured P1P and not the X1 which is fully enclosed and prints faster as well as more fully featured.

I tried aquanet and that seems to help. I also tried turning up the heat but that didn’t help, on my qidi and Prusa I have to crank the bed temp to get pla to stick, otherwise it wants to start to pull off 1/2 way through my 8 hour print. It might just be my overture or hatchbox filament, it appears like the Bambu filament sticks much better.

#2974 1 year ago

I still have my mmu kit new in the box if you (or anyone else) want to try it. $200.

1 month later
#3420 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've watched a couple of sound videos for the Bambu and Prusa MK3s. From the videos I watched the Prusa in normal mode and the Bambu X1 Carbon in standard mode with door closed both ran between 55db - 60db.
I'm wondering if anyone can confirm based on their personal experience if both printers have about the same loudness when printing in standard mode?

I have both of them sitting side by side. The Bambu is louder probably. However it's kind of irrelevant since the Bambu is so much better of a printer. It's laughable that they're even close in price.

1 week later
#3518 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

There is a guy called Rocket City Pinball. Goes to all the pinball tradeshows. Sells out MASSIVE amounts of start buttons and makes good money I assume. I'm surprised he hasn't done this, but you 100% should do it if you enjoy it. Good price cupholders customized per game should sell. My critique here: Don't put the dino logo in the bottom of the cup. Put it on the outside. You could also maybe find some free 3d models of bones or something on turbosquid/cgtrader and have them 3d pop out of the side of the cup. If you are by a pinball expo, build some up and get a booth for $100. Worth a shot.

You have to careful about licensed stuff though. Like the JP cup holder is awesome, but also not really valid to sell with that artwork at the bottom. You’ll notice that most of the things people sell are something related to the theme but not directly copying artwork,etc.

4 months later
#4418 10 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Doesn’t seem likely you could get one that needed to be so thin as to avoid disrupting gameplay to hold up

Someone is actually making these out of TPU on this site I think for the same reason. I think they work fairly well.

#4450 10 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So, Prusa owners -
I just had to replace my entire hotend due to a ridiculous filament disaster - I am now having the worst underextruding issue ever. I can't figure it out - I've recalibrated several times, but not enough filament is coming out in order to stick on the bed. Cleaned the bed 100 times, glue stick on the bed, printed flawlessly before this issue.
I re-did the PINDA settings, re-tested the thermistor (had to replace that too). replaced heating element. This was an issue before I replaced the hotend (and partly the reason I did so), but I can't figure out why it's not threading enough filament through. How do I determine where there's a block/feed issue? I've done a couple cold pulls. Tried different filament too

Sounds like my issue with my mk3, it imploded on itself and took a while to get it working right afterwards. Mine was Z height + new hotend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=taylor34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.