Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20240407_100723 (resized).jpg
20240407_100751 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scottieia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1285 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Ok what are my options for 3d Printers?
This Ender 3 Pro is going to be going back shortly. Maybe I just got a lemon, this one been nothing but trouble.
Now it won't run for an hour without grinding filament. New nozzle, everything is clear, even made the retraction settings very conservative and it still does it. I have wasted more ABS than I have actually had successful prints.

I just got a Prusa Mini about two weeks ago and I've been having a lot of fun with it. It printed correctly right after assembly. I did have an issue with jamming but I think it was the new rainbow PLA that I bought from Amazon. I cleaned and reassembled the hot end and now works like a champ. I've been using Hatchbox PLA and PETG with great success. I don't regret getting my Prusa. The whole family is getting into it.

#1296 2 years ago
Quoted from freebeer:

eSun has some PLA+ that has convinced me to abandon my ABS spools. I'm starting to play around with some PETG now.

I'm printing some printer upgrades and other parts with Hatchbox PETG. I'm having good luck with it and its coming out as nice as my PLA prints.

#1325 2 years ago

I find I like to print functional parts at .2 - .25mm with a .4mm nozzle. It seems like they hold up better with less layers. It could me just me looking into it too much also. The above chart makes sense to me. I've had jamming issues trying to print .05 to .07 with a .4mm nozzle, so I don't even try anymore. All with a Prusa Mini.

1 week later
#1421 2 years ago

The joys of owning a JJP GNR.....I'm playing with my settings to make the best parts for the spotlight.

IMG_1155 (resized).jpgIMG_1155 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#1915 2 years ago

Thinking about the Prusa XL with the 5 tool head changer. Anyone in line for one? I'm very happy with my Mini....it became a household staple in the kitchen.

4 weeks later
#2157 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

A newbie question. In talking to my local school which has a 3D printer, he recommended a resin printer rather than a filament. Looking at some web pages, The increased resolution looks impressive but some of the descriptions don’t sound promising (brittle, grows weaker in sunlight, not preferred for large models)
Do you guys use resin models for some purposes?

I use only filament. If you are new (I only been printing for a year), I had good success with my Prusa Mini. Not perfect but I use it all the time because we keep in on our kitchen counter. I printed resin at work it was always more of a hassle vs the benefit in most of my my situations. But it would be cool to get the added detail with resin.

3 weeks later
#2270 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

can anyone recommend a user friendly 3D design platform for a beginner? Specifically, if I want to draw up something and 3d print it, what would be the best way to go about doing it for a novice? thanks in advance.

I started about 3 months ago with no experience with Tinkercad. It allowed me to make some basic stuff but I got frustrated because it wouldn't let me do certain things. I then moved to Fusion 360 (as a non commercial, free account) and really like it. It took watching some YouTube videos to get going.

3 months later
#2572 1 year ago

https://www.printables.com/model/272583-pinball-leg-leveler-caster

I took 10 minutes to design a better caster for my leg levelers. Other casters will fall off when I jack up the machine to pull it out of my lineup. This has a small 1mm lip in the inside that keeps the caster on. I used TPU on my Prusa mini with a Bondtech extruder upgrade (mainly to print TPU/FLEX).

1 month later
#2667 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

I'll break up the Ender lovefest by recommending the Prusa Mini. I say this with zero hands on experience with any of the Enders . I have been very impressed with how the little mini prints right out of the box with the only real compromise is the 180cm^3 build volume. This is a recent side by side comparison with real data. https://www.3dsourced.com/3d-printers/prusa-mini-vs-creality-ender-3-pro-v2/ Between the two main options, I don't think you can really go wrong.

I've really only used the Prusa Mini. One of the biggest advantages for the Mini for me is the smaller area it takes up. I keep it in our kitchen, which makes it interesting for everyone to see what's going on. My wife likes to play with it also using the vase mode to make colorful vases. If it was bigger and somewhere else in the house, I'd hardly use it. It has been one of the coolest things I've bought, just as cool as a pinball machine.

2 weeks later
#2769 1 year ago

We are playing my new TNA CE at my friends monthly tournament. Whoever blows up the highest reactor will get this. I never had to upload a font for Fusion 360 before so you learn a little something on every project you do. It will have 9 magnets on the back.

IMG_2237 (resized).jpegIMG_2237 (resized).jpeg
#2777 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

The text looks good. Do you have the multi material upgrade for your prusa? It doesn't look like you used the layer swap technique, it's very clean.

Thanks! I did just that with a Prusa Mini. One technique I've used not to create thinner plastic when doing color swaps is to use the variable layer height function in Prusaslicer. Sometimes even when you use a multiple of your layer height when designing something, the slicer don't quite get it right.

3 weeks later
#2887 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

Has anyone with the Prusa Mini+ changed out the Bowden extruder with a direct drive version? I'd be interested in learning about your experience and what improvements it brought.

The best extruder in my option was the Bondtech upgrade, which I have and am happy with it. You can then print Flex and it just seems better than the original because it has two gripping points of the filament. You do have to change the .gcode because it runs opposite than the original.
https://www.bondtech.se/product/ifs-extruder-for-prusa-mini/

The issue going direct is that it's too much weight for the single cantilever arm design of the mini. The advantage of a Bowden extruder system is to reduce the weight of the print head which if excessive causes issues.

#2922 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

I wish I could upvote this post a million times.
My 3D printer was originally meant as an educational tool for my kids, to use for school (homeschool) projects and for their robotics teams. And it did work okay for that (and still does for the ones who haven't gone off to college yet).
But what really unlocked the potential for the printer was me spending time learning Fusion 360 this summer. I have at least a dozen projects around the house that had been waiting for me to figure out one mechanical problem or another, and once I got even a little bit competent with Fusion 360 (which only took a few hours of practice, though even now I can still run into specific problems that all by themselves can take me hours to figure out, usually involving bugs in Fusion 360, where I need to figure out a workaround), I found task after task that the printer was helping me with.
Need to mount a security camera, but need a custom bracket to position the camera in the right place? 3D print it. Need to dress up the holes in the soffit where the CAT6 for the cameras comes out? 3D print it. Need some standoffs so you can zip-tie a PVC pipe to your deck post for your satellite Internet antenna? 3D print it. Need a perfectly-sized grommet for the satellite cable to go through a wall face plate? 3D print it. Need a hinge shim to help change the hang of an interior door so it will stop swinging closed and instead lay flat against the wall where you want it? 3D print it? Did the valve lever for your hose shutoff break? 3D print a new one.
That's just a small sampling of the designs I made so far. I love looking around the house and seeing one thing after another I was able to fix on my own, just by 3D printing the weird custom part that was the perfect solution for whatever problem I had.
It's like magic. You think of the thing you need. And then a few hours later, you're holding it in your hand. I cannot properly articulate just how incredibly satisfying that experience is.

We keep our Prusa Mini in the kitchen. I don’t know how I lived without it and Fusion 360.

1 month later
#3521 1 year ago

Every once in awhile I need a price on an apron card. The pictures make the lines stick out but they look better in the machine. I only need Williams sized cards for now so that is the size I made.

I posted them on Prusa's model sharing site if you would need them.
https://www.printables.com/model/380495-williams-apron-price-card-1-or-32
https://www.printables.com/model/380493-williams-050-apron-card

IMG_2545 (resized).jpgIMG_2545 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#3720 1 year ago

Every time I look into moving my files via wireless, I just go back to doing it manually. I just wish there was a BT USB stick or something so I didn't have to look for my USB to USB-C adapter that I use for my Mac.

2 weeks later
#4028 1 year ago

Got a Foo Fighters coming....need to make more pin shoes. I designed these to have a small lip at the top so when you jack up the game they don't fall off.
https://www.printables.com/model/272583-pinball-leg-leveler-caster/files

IMG_2661 (resized).JPGIMG_2661 (resized).JPG
#4031 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

nice! What do the shoes do? Prevent movement during a nudge?

Yeppers. They will prevent wear marks on a hard surface floor when you shake the machine. It also keeps you honest in not sliding the legs if you get little too excited.

1 week later
#4086 1 year ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Pretty cool. What filament do you use? Do they grip like the silicone shoes grip?

I use Hatchbox Flex but it looks like they don't make it anymore. They absolutely grip. I have my pins on a tile floor so if I didn't have these, they would slide when I nudge and scrape up my floor.

1 week later
#4107 1 year ago

Looks like today is an unexpected surprise if you are Prusa fan. The MK4 was released. I've had my Prusa Mini and thought about upgrading but the MK3 was getting dated and I had a hunch the MK4 would come out this year so I held off. The XL was a little much for me. Looks like the kit isn't available so you have to get the assembled version. Now I have to find another setup area because the the Mini fit so well in the kitchen.

#4111 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

$1100 for the same cartesian printer design when you get buy the base bambu core xy for $699? i saw his tweet, mk4 looks faster than an mk3 but nowhere near the speed of any corexy printer.

All true. I choose to limit myself to Prusa. I'm not the most experienced so I limit my $ and my time figuring out other printers. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, I'm fine with that.

#4127 1 year ago

I'm a Prusa Mini user now but I have a MK4 coming. I don't know if anyone has experience in both (Mini and MK3) but what do you think the improvements that I will see? I'm looking forward to wireless printing, direct drive, more stable platform and a swappable hot end. I've been happy with my Mini after several upgrades including a Bondtech extruder gear setup and adding some supports. I also had hotend issues that made me rebuild it with better parts and dialed-in the PTFE tube. The Mini did its job well; it got me and my wife into printing and design. I will miss the small footprint of the Mini because we have it backed into a nook in our kitchen which the MK4 will not fit.

#4133 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

If you haven't already, I would suggest looking into the potential health concerns around the ultra fine plastic particles and fumes that can be emitted. I personally would not choose to have a printer in my kitchen because of these concerns. I only mention since you say you are new to the hobby and maybe not obvious to look into.

Thanks. I did look into awhile ago but completely forgot about it. I'll look into it again....

1 week later
#4181 1 year ago

A friend of mine bought a Stranger Things Pro with the UV kit. It had the Stern Insider Connected kit mounted under the right apron card sideways from the previous owner. I designed the premium apron mount which I don't think you can just buy without the kit. I don't think too many people will be in this situation but I uploaded to Printables if anyone needs it.

https://www.printables.com/model/447748-stern-insider-connected-apron-mount-right

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scottieia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=scottieia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.