20240407_100751 (resized).jpg
20240407_100811 (resized).jpg
20240407_100738 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-05 130116 (resized).png
PXL_20240405_004928606 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240405_004909941 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240405_004916823 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

do you, or anyone else here for that matter, have any experience with the MMU2s?

A little slow on the response, but I do.

#406 3 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Hello guys, does anyone have STL files for 3D printing B/W opto housing or austin powers toilet seat? Pics for reference! Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

I uploaded my opto housing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4776015

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

care to share any details good or bad, ease of use, reliability, etc....

TL:DR - The MMU2 is an interesting add-on that can do some cool stuff and is fun to play with. When it works, it's great. However as with almost all 3d printing, it has plenty of annoying issues that cause frustration and print failures.

To start, it is finicky to get setup and dialed in. Even after that, it's not as reliable as I would like. When it works, it does exactly as you would expect, but you have to accept the trade-offs of higher print failure rate, longer print times and extra wasted material. Also one thing I wasn't expecting was weaker prints. The boundary lines where the colors meet don't bond well and easily snap apart. This also contributes to print failures from the waste block falling apart mid print.

The main reason I bought the addition was to play around with soluble supports. So far I have only tried using HIPS with PETG. In theory HIPS should melt away after soaking in D-Limonene, but in practice (at least for me) it didn't work great. It eventually (hours) turned into a soft goo and I still had remnants to clean off, plus it made the print permanently orange smelling. I bought a spool of PVA, but haven't tried it yet. The Prusaslicer feature of only using the expensive soluble material just at the support interface layer is really appealing.

One thing the MMU is handy for is auto switching filaments during single color prints. It is nice to have 5 different spools basically ready to go especially if you do somewhat remote printing like I do. I find it perfectly reliable in auto load and unloading. One thing to note however is that running the filament through the MMU does limit the max extrude speed. For whatever reason, the control firmware doesn't put the MMU drive system in "neutral" so there is a always an added drag on the main extruder pulling the filament through the MMU feed system. There is also a problem when the MK3 has a reset, the MMU gets out of sync. If there is a filament loaded through the MMU, you have to extract that all out and do a full power cycle to get things back to steady state. You would think this doesn't happen very often, but if you use octoprint, it happens way more than you would like.

As for the spool feeding, the Prusa solution is to use multiple trays on the table top which takes up a ton of space. My solution is hanging spools above the printer and mounting the feed tubes on pegboard on the wall behind where the printer sits. This might not be an option for your setup, but thankfully load and unload feeding have never been a problem for me.

If I had to do it again, I would take a much closer look at Pallete 2s before deciding on the MMU.

Here are some multicolor game keychains. Homer was a 5 color print. You can see where some black artifacts show up in all the other colors. I forgot to mention it's really difficult to prevent color contamination. I think in this case, I might have a small goober on the hotend that I didn't get cleaned off before the print.

Let me know if there are any specific questions.

20190526_221841 (resized).jpg20190526_221841 (resized).jpg

#460 3 years ago

Above all that was mentioned with drive tension and clogged drive gear, try bumping your first layer hot end temp up 5deg and see if that doesn't help relieve a little of the backpressure. Or perhaps if your slicer supports it, drop your first layer extruded width by 5% or so to see if pushing less plastic helps.

1 week later
#519 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Could somebody print me up a set of these Data East Simpsons pop bumper cooling towers? They're sold out literally everywhere. I have a friend here in town with a printer but he says he can't do "ABS or acetone vaporing." Amazingly, the file already exists on Thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3042709
I would obviously be willing to compensate for materials, time, and shipping.

Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Seems like you could spray clearcoat over a non-ABS print and get the same appearance.

This is a better choice for what you are looking for https://www.smooth-on.com/products/xtc-3d/

2 months later
#842 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I know it's not their recommendation, but acetone works perfectly and I use it regularly (I've logged over 5,000 hours of print time doing so). It does not damage the PEI and assures a perfect adhesion. One word of warning - only use it directly for PLA and not PETG on flat PEI coated sheets. PETG may stick too well and you could potentially damage your PEI sheet trying to remove PETG models (It's also important to come to a full cool before removing a PETG model). My process before printed PETG on the smooth plate is to actually clean the bed with acetone but then apply a very thin layer of glue for smaller prints or even a drop of oil spread out with a paper towel for larger prints (90% of what I print is PLA). Actually, the textured plate is better for PETG in general if your model's base is okay with the textured surface.

My experience as well. I damaged a new smooth PEI build plate with a PETG print. Now I swap to the texture plate for all of my PETG prints. It is another nice feature of the Prusa to have multiple sheets configured for quick change over. Also have to be careful with TPU. That stuff sticks even better; to the point in the past I have added a filament specific positive Z first layer adjustment.

1 week later
#855 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Any tips on printing with TPU? I can't finish a print without it messing up.

you have to print really slow, turn off retractions, hard to do with bowden extruders, sticks to the bed so shouldn't have any first layer issues (sticks too well sometimes...)

what kind of failures are you seeing and with which printer?

#858 2 years ago

The first layer is good. But when I come back a few hours later, it's just crazy stringy. It's like a T-1000 getting shot.
I will try to print slower and turn off retractions and see if that is any better. I am not having any issues with the bed.
Thanks for the input. Stay tuned!

I would suggest to start with 1/2 or 1/3 typical speed and once you get it to consistent, dial it up slowly until you find the reasonable max. I am a big fan of TPU. The layer bonds are super strong and the prints come out near indestructible. Also note, that different formulations yield different durometer (harness) values, so you can find some variability in how flexible the end results are.

3 months later
#1058 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Has anyone made a simple ball holder that can be place on a flat surface to hold pinballs while you're working on it? Those things are like soap.
I looked on Thingivierse but didn't see anything.

Like this?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-holders#post-3731175

2 weeks later
#1093 2 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I have upgraded my Ender Pro with a new E3D V6 hotend since the original hotend started leaking. I've had a couple decent prints, but still seem to be having possibly an extruder issue. I had upgraded to the aluminum extruder early on and really didn't have any issues. My extruder now sometimes seems to be either not catching up with the hotend or is over supplying the hotend. It seems sometimes to "kick back" while extruding. Any thoughts? When I checked on the print that the two photos are of, the machine was still "printing" a bit above the surface, but not adhering and balling up. I am thinking this is more of an extruder issue?

Sure sounds like it's plugged up. What type of filament are your running and have been swapping types? Is the fan on the heat break running as expected? There are specific assembly instructions to make sure the nozzle seats correctly. Did you have any trouble there?

1 week later
#1159 2 years ago

Not quite what you were looking for, but I made these for 4x6 sized replacements.

PXL_20210209_045831050 (resized).jpgPXL_20210209_045831050 (resized).jpgPXL_20210209_012833010 (resized).jpgPXL_20210209_012833010 (resized).jpgPXL_20210209_013139076 (resized).jpgPXL_20210209_013139076 (resized).jpg
#1161 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Those are good and the reinforced mounting points should work quite well. If anyone replicates they just need to be aware of their speaker depth given the extra thickness (would hate to print and install everything only for the speaker panel to not close due to clearance issues).
BTW, how about a photo from the front with everything put back together?

Yeah, the offset was needed to give enough clearance for the extra driver. That will vary a bit speaker to speaker.

It's pretty boring from the front.
PXL_20211105_154543912 (resized).jpgPXL_20211105_154543912 (resized).jpg

#1162 2 years ago

I pulled it apart since you were going to ask anyway . You can refrain from comment on my hobo captive nut workmanship thank you very much! Haha.
16361277095016137280468982565323 (resized).jpg16361277095016137280468982565323 (resized).jpg

What it would look like without the foam.
16361279535176399757111627752152 (resized).jpg16361279535176399757111627752152 (resized).jpg

#1167 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That still looks pretty great!
I've never looked into it, but I'm curious - does the oval shaped speaker offer better performance than a round one? Or is it just form factor?

It was form factor reasons. I was thinking the shape of the speaker grill allowed for more speaker drive area with oval speakers. I picked the cheapest ok speakers I could find and hedged a little smaller (4x6 vs. 5x10) to see how they actually fit. If I were to do it again, I probably would go round. I think they are sonically better. This was more a thought experiment. These are the ones I picked if anybody is curious; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBFM6CW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Do you know which is the off the shelf equivalent for the Stern upgraded speakers?

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Paint those nuts black or 3D print a cap (maybe even go red to match your speaker coloring) and you're all set even w/o the foam insert. Well done.
BTW, since you mentioned it, I do notice the plastic stressing a little around the nut in your close-up (not really noticeable in your install pic). What infill did you use on the print? In Prusa Slicer (and I'm sure other slicers) you can add modifiers where you set a different percent infill. I do this on my mods that use screws where I may print the object at a lower infill, but have a fairly thick tube area around the screw holes and/or a block at the hole bases that are 100% infill.
Here is an example pre-sliced. The model is set at 25% infill but wherever the green blocks intersect will be printed at 100% infill (i.e. where my screw holes are).
[quoted image]
Here is the sliced version below the bottom infill modifier where you can see the standard 25% infill.
[quoted image]
Here is the sliced version at the modifier where the intersect area is 100% infill, but the rest of the model is still 25% infill.
[quoted image]

Yeah thanks for the thoughts. These are all great techniques. I am familiar with them and how to apply them with PrusaSlicer. What you see was a first quick and dirty print just to see if I got the critical dimensions right. The captive nut holes came out a wee bit undersized and full of overhang garbage so the nuts didn't really fit well. I sort of cheesed the fit by hard pressing and overtorquing to draw the nut in as much as possible. That's why you see the stress and distortion. In the end, it all fit fine and aesthetically didn't look any worse with the foam in there, so I didn't bother redoing it. I didn't make to sell (or even to show?). This is what lazy functional 3d parts look like. I did ask you to ignore the hobo job, haha.

After seeing how they look without the foam, I might try to print some prettied up versions. Like you suggested I could print a cap or face plate to the hide the hardware. My preference would probably be to print a solid bottom, then space for the hex nut, pause print, drop in a nut and finish the print around it, making it completely captured. I also wonder what it would look like if I gave the base a pattern instead of a solid face.

#1168 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The model is set at 25% infill but wherever the green blocks intersect will be printed at 100% infill (i.e. where my screw holes are).
[quoted image]
Here is the sliced version below the bottom infill modifier where you can see the standard 25% infill.
[quoted image]
Here is the sliced version at the modifier where the intersect area is 100% infill, but the rest of the model is still 25% infill.
[quoted image]

Oh and I should also add, I have had pretty good results by increasing perimeters around screw holes as an alternative to adding a ton of fill. I think it could be a good tradeoff of reinforced strength versus excess print material and time.

#1171 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The increased perimeters technique is an option, and I've used it on a variety of models (I'm sure it may very well work on your speaker plates). However, the particular model I showed was more of an industrial application and partial fill and even additional perimeters just didn't provide the same strength as the solid fill. These particular items are designed to be secured around a bar, and before I went to solid fill in the stress areas I kept cracking them when trying to get them tight enough to remain in a fixed position on the poles they were mounted to.

Yeah I agree, always more that one way to print a cat. Specific tricks used are very design specific. Lots of good stuff shared here!

#1176 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Head over to PartsExpress and look up a 4" mid/full range driver.

I thought the upgraded LE speakers were 5 1/4" or something like that?

#1197 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

It's pretty much required. The chamber also needs to be between 60-70C to prevent warping. Sometimes the bed is enough to heat up a chamber, sometimes you need to add heat.

This. Also make sure your print fan is off.

#1208 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

At 37%
Currently at 235 and 95 and that's where I'm going to leave it for the rest of the night. Still using the insulated box, seems to help.
[quoted image]

I would say, the last thing to try if this last experiment fails, mix up some abs slurry use that on the glass bed.

2 weeks later
#1268 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Ok what are my options for 3d Printers?
This Ender 3 Pro is going to be going back shortly. Maybe I just got a lemon, this one been nothing but trouble.
Now it won't run for an hour without grinding filament. New nozzle, everything is clear, even made the retraction settings very conservative and it still does it. I have wasted more ABS than I have actually had successful prints.

Second the Prusa recommendation. I have both the mk3s and a mini. It's as close to set and forget as a consumer level printer can be. When I started in the 3D print hobby 7 years ago, I bought a Mendel Max kit, and struggled for years to keep it dialed in. While the Prusas are not without problem and still require a small amount of fidgeting it is miles ahead of where I started. I would never want to go back to that.

For ABS, I can't remember your main motivation, but I think it was for higher temp and UV stability? If those are your requirements, I would suggest giving polycarbonate a try. Similar on those properties and much less prone to warping.

#1284 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Nope, Polycarbonate prints between 290-315C. Ender hotend "can" reach 280 which gets close, but you still wouldn't be able to reach 280 both because you would need an all metal hotend (bowden tube starts to degrade at 240), but also I doubt the power supply would reliably keep the hotend at 280.

PC seems much more varied depending on the manf. This is the PC that I have printed successfully with at 270 (which the manf suggests 240-270).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J3C9GY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#1311 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I see some interesting small pinball pieces I wouldnt mind 3d printing at home, can someone recommend an easy to use beginner 3d printer for me?
Thanks

Prusa Mini. It is worth picking up both the smooth and texture sheets.
https://www.prusa3d.com/category/original-prusa-mini/

2 weeks later
#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I had success with PLA+ from eSun. I wasn't exactly stress testing it but it printed nicely and seemed stronger than normal PLA by a good amount

Agreed. I print a lot with eSun PLA+ with good results. Although I will say, a recent white batch of this has turned really brittle coming off the spool and usually breaks into many pieces when changing filament. I am not sure if it is color blend specific, or a batch specific problem. This might be my 10th roll across 5 different colors and this has been my only issue so far. I will say it is worth doing a temperature calibration tower for each color as they do behave differently. I use their yellow for my High Speed/Getaway LED stop lights. The color is rich and it prints smooth.
DSC08734_1_sm (resized).jpgDSC08734_1_sm (resized).jpgDSC08737_sm (resized).jpgDSC08737_sm (resized).jpg

#1469 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I was just gifted on Raspberry Pi 4 with camera and OctoPrint ready to go. I have some learning/research to do to get it integrated with my Prusa MK3S, so looking forward to spending time with it over the holidays. Does anyone here already have such a setup that would be willing to point me to some good resources to fast track the learning curve?

I used Octoprint for years. It does work well. Prusaslicer moved where you input the IP and Octoprint API key (which you get from the Octoprint config page). Go to the Printer Settings tab and click on the gear wheel that is just right of the printer name drop down. It used to be grouped with the main printer setting options, but would get overwritten with profile updates or loading other 3mf files. It is now sticky which is nice, but a pain to find.

There is a bug reported with the MK3S filament runout sensor not working specifically when using Octoprint. Keep that in mind if you rely on that printer feature.

A couple things I have learned; I recently switched to Repetier Server as Octoprint can't manage multiple printers. I also moved from a raspi to a NUC. I run my print server 24/7 and eventually (weeks/months) the raspi SD card will become corrupt and which require a full rebuild. I got tired of this.

Feel to reach out with a PM if you have questions on usage or set up.

#1486 2 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Something like this?
You would l=-also probably need to print a "dummy" (no barb) rollover star to get it centered properly for gluing.

I would suggest adding maybe three "pinchers" than fit over the spokes of the insert. It would not only add more gluing surface area, also mechanical support. It would complicate printing a little, but nothing that couldn't be managed.

#1488 2 years ago

The fingers are an idea, but then i can't keep the flat surface against the build plate...

Like I mentioned, should be easy to manage. If this is in F360 and you don't mind sharing the design files, I can take a crack at it and show how I would print.

#1496 2 years ago

I get the bumps idea and adding them is trivial. But then the surface that glues to the part will be off the build plate. I like to use the build plate for the flatness it imparts.
The parts are in solidworks. Pm for the files.

Rats. No solidworks here

The added sections (thinking extruded rectangles on either side of the splines/spokes) would define the new bottom plane. The bridging needed would be really short and shouldn't need support if your printer and filament settings are reasonably dialed in. Or, you could flip it and add supports to the underside of the ring. Both should be easy methods to end up with a nice functional part.

#1498 2 years ago

Yeah but it won't be nice and smooth either.
I can save into a bunch of formats Step Iges Etc. What can you use? I was pretty sure my graphic guy brought Solidworks directly into F360...
Or i can add the bosses and send it to you .stl

Off to PM....

1 month later
#1667 2 years ago
Quoted from Zzap:

This guy has a lot of good content - got me up and running
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo29kn3d9ziFUZGZ50VKvWA

Yeah good suggestion. I watched a lot of his videos when I was getting started.

#1668 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I've been meaning to learn how to model and have been procrastinating for a while now. Started with Tinkercad which is good but I just didn't love the simplicity and limits of it. I recently tried Fusion 360 and I love it! Here is my first model ever, a light shield for Bride of Pinbot. It took me a few hours since I was learning how to do basic things as I went along. I took a flatbed scan of the part so I could basically trace out the window shapes, and the rest of the model I just measured directly. Once I had the model complete I had to split it into 2 to fit onto my printer, and the way I wanted to split it with an angle at the center screw holes was a little tricky for me but I figured it out using Microsoft 3D Builder.[quoted image][quoted image]

Neat! For the split, create an offset plane (or any other construction plane that makes sense) and put it at what ever angle you need. Then use the split body function with the new offset plan as the splitting tool.

#1672 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The issue I was having was the split plane also intersected some of the windows on one half of the model. I wasn't sure how to prevent that from happening or how to re-join those parts in Fusion 360 after splitting.

Keep the extruded windows as separate bodies until after the split. In the splitting tool, just select the base as the body to split and it will ignore everything else. Also, there is a combine function where you can bring it all back together, but there isn't a real need to do that. When you choose to create your STL file, you can select the bodies you want to use. Or, you can hide the bodies you don't want in the STL and select the entire component. Another trick is that if you export a model with a lot of separate bodies and use Prusaslicer, you can have it separate out the individual bits with either the split to parts or split to objects (I forget which).

2 months later
#1836 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

that's neat, trying to figure out a good translation in french to buy one, would you have an Amazon.com link so I can see how it's called in english ?

This is a Prusa specific part. I am not sure if there are generic equivalents.

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/double-sided-textured-pei-powder-coated-spring-steel-sheet/

1 week later
#1881 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I thought you said $10, those are nearly $11 before tax - just say'n.
Seriously, make sure you get ones that support your printer as various printers may use different thread diameters (I know Prusa does).
Also, has anyone tried the hardened steel nozzles for courser materials?

I switched to these to handle the more abrasive filaments;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BDL4N4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#1899 2 years ago
Quoted from plasticbugs:

My precautions were:
Gloves, chemist eye goggles, ducting attached directly to the printer fan vent. That was attached to a large charcoal filter/fan combo.
The high resolution prints were not worth all the effort. The prints were very fragile and really only good for statues and miniatures that would not be handled often.

I have a friend who has been fully steeped in FDM printing for 7+ years. A year or so ago he added a resin printer and did his best to fine tune the process. After a few months I asked him how it was going and this was his direct quote; "fuck resin printing, not enough time in my life for that horrible bullshit" I took that message to heart and haven't considered experimenting with one since.

#1922 2 years ago

I found this article really interesting relating to community developed 3d model trademark takedown actions;
https://www.thedrive.com/news/honda-orders-big-takedown-of-honda-related-3d-printing-models-from-maker-communities

#1936 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

I have a Prusa mk3s+. Love it but if I had to do it over again I'd get the mini. Pretty rare that I max out the bed.

I have both printers and completely agree. The mini is a great first printer. Not the cheapest, but probably the best bank for buck and easiest to learn on. I also have an XL on pre-order...completely ridiculous and unnecessary, but man it looks cool!

#1953 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I don't think the designer has posted it on here, but this stand up target stabilizer is a great little design. It's worked perfectly for my Deadpool 'SNIKT" target to keep it where it is supposed to be.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3022038
Remix for anti-lean targets
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5157940
Before:
[quoted image]
After:

I used the exact same model on my DP and the damn SNIKT target went back to the leaning-target-of-pizza... Although strangely enough, I seem to have gotten a decent feel on how to hit it, so I REALLY don't want to touch it now.

1 week later
#2003 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, they won't hold up when printed in either PLA or PETG. I've designed and produced similar parts for an entirely different application/industry and ended up using my models as a prototype we sent to a manufacturer.
Another example where injection molding is superior to layer printing. The main issue is that the tabs are so small you cannot print any cross grain layers, so you loose any potential strength for flexing.

My first thought is to remove the tabs from the design so it's essentially two cylinders. Print with TPU so it will never break. Make the tolerance really tight with the PCB holes. TPU is playable and a bit grippy so it will make a nice tight fit They shouldn't fall out even without the tabs. The material is tricky to print right especially with the small dimensions needed here.

1 week later
#2129 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

your bed better be REALLY flat if you go down to that layer thickness otherwise its not sticking that first layer where it dips low.

TPU has outstanding adhesion. With a PEI sheet first layer sticks too well. Also....auto bed leveling. It's good for what ails you.

#2134 1 year ago

I stumbled on a new technique (at least for me) for reducing support garbage removal and thought somebody else might find it interesting. I designed a power supply mount for Spike2 back box. I wanted to enclose the screw terminals of the PSU to give a little additional safety to accidental shorting of the live wall AC and the 12v output. The end result included basically a 5 sided hollow box that would require support for the "roof". This meant the supports would need to start on the "floor" of the box and would require a lot of removal of the bottom interface layers which tend to fuse to the model more than top interface layers. A separate design choice I made was to add a pattern of hexagon holes anyplace that I thought I could save material without compromising structural need. Screenshot 2022-05-06 100854_sm (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-05-06 100854_sm (resized).png

While playing around with PrusaSlicer's paint on support tool, I had an ah-ha moment. I targeted my support enforcers to the holes in the "floor". This meant that the vast majority of support tower's bottom interface were restricted to the build plate. The picture is looking up from the build plate. The blue is where support enforcement is painted on. By manipulating the support painting tool, the brush size can be made to easily paint inside the hex holes. One thing of note I found is that if I made the paint dots too close to the size of the hex holes, the support engine would spill support up and over and would still include a bottom interface layer on the floor of the print.
Screenshot 2022-05-06 094450 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-05-06 094450 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-05-06 094657 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-05-06 094657 (resized).png

The only potential downside is your printer creating a clean first bridged infill layer that builds off of the support towers In my case, this wasn't a problem, but it will come down to material used, general printer bridging performance and the spacing of the holes. If the bridging goes fine, there is a secondary support removal benefit with less interface points to the roof. This picture is looking up at the underside of the box and shows the end of the support towers (green) and the first bridged infill interface layer (dark blue). Screenshot 2022-05-06 094921_sm (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-05-06 094921_sm (resized).png

End result of the mount. The Spike games and the SAM vault games use a metal backbox, so I needed to design the mount to work with any available factory mounting screws.
DSC09128 (2) (resized).jpgDSC09128 (2) (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2344 1 year ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Here is the part:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4835017
Looks like the part just before the hole for the post needs to be thicker...but that is beyond my ability.

My first thought was PETG before looking at the part. But..oof, there is a really thin section that I think is doomed to break on most materials. I am going to guess that's where it snapped? I say TPU is your best bet. It's little finicky to print, but easier than the other options I can think of; polycarbonate and nylon. TPU will absolutely without a doubt never break If you prefer to have it less flexible, you can do a little digging in the different brands and find harder durometer versions (maybe like a 90shore?).

3 months later
#2666 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Looking to get into the hobby. Any good quality printers you guys recommend for beginners? My buddy Medisinyl recommended a couple which look quite nice. Wondering what you guys have used and recommend? Thanks!

I'll break up the Ender lovefest by recommending the Prusa Mini. I say this with zero hands on experience with any of the Enders . I have been very impressed with how the little mini prints right out of the box with the only real compromise is the 180mm^3 build volume. This is a recent side by side comparison with real data. https://www.3dsourced.com/3d-printers/prusa-mini-vs-creality-ender-3-pro-v2/ Between the two main options, I don't think you can really go wrong.

Perhaps not much has changed beyond slicers improving in the age of Prusa's but If you've got the budget and want an amazing next generation machine look at the Bambu Lab X-1.

Fudge. I have been trying to ignore this, but after the video I got overly excited and put in my pre-order without much more thought Is there any word on what the lead times for builds are?

#2670 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

Small nit: the volume is 180 mm on a side, not 180 cm. The latter would be far from "mini".

Haha, whoops! What's a 'c' or 'm' between friends?

I also agree completley with the rest of your assesment. I also have both Prusas as well. One of the two common mistakes I have seen people entering the 3D printing hobby is to overestimate the benefit of the larger build volume and underestimating the learning curve needed for a printer expecting upgrades and tweaking to get the most out of them (I made both of these mistakes, but the options were much different 7 years ago). That's why for me the mini is the right choice for a first printer if the budget allows. But there are certainly other good options as described.

2 weeks later
#2757 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

I think there might be a fifth technique I'm overlooking at the moment, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Maybe someone else knows?

Bottle opener?

1 month later
#2984 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:Has anyone purchased the mulitcolor attachment for the Prusa MK3+
299 dollars. Is it easy to use and get used to , and is it reliable

It took quite a bit for me to get mine working semi reliably, but it was still a crap shoot when or how it would fail. It really stood out as my MK3 prints so rock solid. Multi color is neat to play around with, but prints take forever and there is wasted filament. I was most intrigued to try it with soluble supports. Only attempted HIPS and PETG and was not impressed with how that worked out. I bought a spool of PVA for water dissolvable, but never could convince myself to try it out because it's an expensive filament and I didn't want to waste it

The one area where I think the MMU is actually quite helpful is just having multiple spools ready to print in single color prints. Either for same colors so when a spool runs out, it can switch automatically and keep printing. Or if you typically print parts that require different colors or materials. It's nice for remote printing and not having to go and load/unload every time you print something different.

One drawback which I haven't seen mentioned in forums or bug reports, is that for some odd reason the MMU doesn't go into a neutral position when printing. Meaning, the drive gears are always engaged on the filament even if the motor is turned off. The end effect of this is extra drag on the main extruder which limits print speed. Sometimes I like to kick the print speed up manually and was finding that I was under extruding after a small increase in speed. All the MMU has to do is rotate slightly to remove the resistance and it would be fine. Honestly I think so many people abandoned using the thing, problems are just not reported anymore.

The upcoming Mega's tool changer will be a huge step forward.

Quoted from TroyS:

Today I am print Mondo mod parts. I will share out pictures on the prints when done.
Thanks everyone for the help and recommendations on how to improve!!

I print remotely in my non-climate controlled shop. Humidity is decently high. I print plenty of PLA+ with the spools left open to the environment for months on end. I had generally ignored the need to keep things sealed as I never noticed print failures that I could attribute to wet filament. I changed my mind a little on this after I spent a considerable amount of time trying to tune out some minor stringing that was annoying me. I modified an old food dehydrator that I had collecting dust, and sure enough it completely cured it. So now, if there is anything I care about how it looks, I'll pop any exposed spools in the dehydrator for a couple hours ahead of time just to save on post process de-stringing. As was eluded to, it does seem specific formulations (brands and colors) tend to vary in susceptibility.

#2994 1 year ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Hey - That's my build!

Hey I know that guy

#3003 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

Boom they were not sticking the same to the bed. Lesson do different colors act differently even if from the same manufacturer??

In my experience yes they can. It isn't common and usually the difference is not much. However I did create a separate filament profile for eSun PLA Pro Yellow (versus all the other colors from the same manf). For some reason for me that color needs higher temperature and some changes to retract. The difference is consistent across multiple spools, so not related to a specific batch. I now print temp towers the first time I try a new color or manf just to be sure.

I could see it possible that you are right on the lower end border of your first layer print temps and switching to a different color that requires another 5C bump higher could cause specific color first layer bed adhesion troubles. All that said, it's way more likely as Pete suggested to be the bed surface needing a quick IPA wipe down.

2 weeks later
#3113 1 year ago

Perhaps not much has changed beyond slicers improving in the age of Prusa's but If you've got the budget and want an amazing next generation machine look at the Bambu Lab X-1.

Quoted from RobF:

Fudge. I have been trying to ignore this, but after the video I got overly excited and put in my pre-order without much more thought Is there any word on what the lead times for builds are?

I received my Bambu X1 a few days ago. I have to admit I am very impressed with the quality and speed I am getting out of the box with zero tuning. I have been really happy with my Prusas, but I think the X1 will quickly become my favorite machine. It looks like for the same multi part prints, I am seeing a reduction of at least half the print time at the same or better quality. I was not expecting that much improvement. What is really interesting is how the various filaments work with the generic presets with zero adjustments. For example, I bought some cheap PLA+on discount to try and was having difficulty on the MK3 with my tuned filament settings. Even after going through it's own temp tower calibration and specific adjustments I wasn't happy to use on prints I cared about and relegated the spool to just test prints. To my shock, the same spool printed perfectly in the X1 with the generic profile. Same goes for some silk PLA that I had stringing problems previously, printed 99% string free first try. Obviously these are just my results and there may be more contributing factors specific to my print environment and specific setup. So far, I am more than happy.

All that said, there are some annoyances that I have to get used to mostly with printing workflow. I print remotely to my detached shop and have been using Repetier Server for two printers on my LAN. The Bambu print through the cloud direct from the slicer isn't my favorite and I hope they can better detach the cloud requirement to the printer functionality. I would much prefer to slice to local file share and print directly from there as I have been doing, but I am not sure if that is even on the company's radar. I see there is an update today that allows you to slice and save gcode directly to the SD storage which is a step in the right direction.

I am printing a few of these gamecube controller stands for my son for Christmas and this was my first attempt at a multi color print with the AMS. It turned out awesome. There is a ton of waste which bugs me, but of course that and much longer print times are the tradeoff for single extruder muli print.
PXL_20221215_170342428 (resized).jpgPXL_20221215_170342428 (resized).jpg

#3115 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

I heard similar complaints about the amount of waste the multi color prints create. Also it looks like some red hues in the green filament used for the gamecube logo. Is that just how the filament looks or is that an artifact of the printer's process?

Good eye! Yeah it's a multicolor silk filament. How it is orientated through the extruder determines how the color comes out, either green, magenta or some gradient of the two. The way it this was loaded, on the color side of the model it came out mostly green.

There are ways to reduce the waste to some degree, but the nature of how you have to purge for a single extruder, it's just a fact of life. It's not unique to the X1.

1 week later
#3166 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yes, 2.5.0 is latest version.
Lightning infill (infill type that functions like top layer supports) |
Paint-On Supports:
The next version will also have organic supports:

Prusa through twitter shared gcode to try out a few presliced models with the new organic supports.

https://twitter.com/Prusa3D/status/1600521548053495808

3 weeks later
#3372 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've played around with Babmu Studio some, and it seems to have most of the features I use on a regular basis in Prusa Slicer, but things are in different places and not quite as intuitive. The one thing don't see how to easily do is a color change at a given layer height (this is really simple in Prusa Slicer) and this is something I do on a quite often. The other thing I'm not seeing (not saying it isn't there) is the setting for printing objects one at a time when there are multiple on the bed instead of doing each layer for all objects at the same time. Again, another feature I use regularly.
There is a Bambu X1-C Prusa Slicer profile on Printables, but it is based on an older version of Bambu Studio.

Bambu Studio isn't quite on par with Prusa Slicer. In comparison you will find small bits of missing functionality, general UI chunkiness and plenty of minor bugs. If your workflow is built around remote printing through octoprint, or repetier you will be disappointed in lack of flexibility with the Bambu. As for quality of the slicing, the only thing I have noticed is much more pronounced seams with Bambu Studio. I haven't figured out if these are machine parameters that can be tuned out, or if it is some kind of sliced anomaly.

For a Prusa power user, the hardware will impress, the software will slightly annoy. I still would recommend adding one to your stable. You can plow through prints so much faster at the same print quality. The AMS unit is much better than the MMU2 and doubles as a four spool dry box.

#3382 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

BTW, here is how you do it in Prusa Slicer. Just click on the layer scale and click the + sign to insert a filament change. I realize this may be a little different with multiple materials, but you should be ablet to simple/quickly set layer colors somehow.
[quoted image]

Pretty sure it works the same way in BS, but maybe it doesn't think you have an AMS and hides the option? I am away from my main PC, so I can't confirm, but a Google search hints at example usage (along with current bugs).

#3391 1 year ago

@Mr_Tantrum: Here you go. Image taken from a recent bug report
https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/issues/843

210933787-b17a5579-a686-4bd9-827e-3f0e7e81a9f7 (resized).png210933787-b17a5579-a686-4bd9-827e-3f0e7e81a9f7 (resized).png
#3396 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Next question . . .
When I slice this model for my Prusa, I get a print time of 26m excluding the 3 manual filament changes I have to perform.
When I slice the model for Bambu, I get a print time of 13m but a prepare time of 7-1/2 minutes for a total time of 20-1/2 minutes. What the heck is the 7-1/2 minute prep time?
Also, has anyone been printing PLA on the hot plate w/o glue (seems to be an option instead of using cold plate with glue)? If so, what have results been?

Lidar based flow calibration, bed leveling and first layer inspection which can all be turned off add to the prep time.

I think the hot plate is the smooth PEI plate right? I print PLA on that. I started with the cold plate and used glue stick infrequently. I thought it was going to be much more obnoxious going back too glue after being spoiled for years on the mk3, but it really wasn't that bad. I have also printed TPU direct on the engineering plate and that worked great.

#3435 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I need to learn how to do this asap. Fusion360 is a lot of fun.
I like what you did with the ventilation but i was wondering if this is needed at all, do you think the fan can be held with just two screws? Then you would not need the grid at all…
This is definitely a mod on my list!!!

That's a nice model for the fan. I am still trying to figure out how Mr. Tantrum got his grid to be hexagons. I am getting close though.

I think the easiest way if you weren't comfortable with doing it in cad would be to design the fan mount area as a plain solid rectangle. Then in the slicer add a modifier for that area and set it to zero top and zero bottom solid layers. Then choose the infill pattern you like the looks of the best. Voila, free grid. Add perimeters to make it strong enough. Use zip ties instead and don't worry about the mount holes.

Janky, I know. But there are a lot of quick and dirty things you can do in the slicer if you don't want to monkey with the model or more likely when you don't have the source.

Another good application of this technique is for speaker adapter plates.

3 weeks later
#3682 1 year ago
Quoted from rhampo:

I have had my X1C for about 3 months and have had zero maintenance. Literally zero.
One time, the filament broke off in the tubing near the extruder, and it took me a total of 3 minutes to clear it out. Loosen a few screws, manually push a piece of filament in behind the broken piece and run the extruder until it flushed. Then reassemble.
I have been printing almost nonstop since I got it. It prints PLA, PETG and ASA perfectly.
My only complaint is that I wish they would supply a non-stick smooth bedplate. Most of my prints are using the textured PEI plate, but if I want smooth I have to use glue stick on the coldplate or hotplate. I have seen a few 3rd party smooth non-stick plates online but all seem to be out of stock.
Cheers!

For me anyway, PLA on the smooth PEI sheet (Hot Plate) and TPU on the Engineering sheet require zero prep (glue or otherwise). The cold plate when I was using it was very minimal use and mostly as a release agent. I haven't tried the textured plate yet for comparison.

#3697 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Did my first real multi-color print on the Bambu. This was a custom pop cap I designed for a client several months ago but couldn't print at the time. It came out great and I couldn't be happier with it.
Thought I'd also share the scrap that was generated during filament flushes. A scrap bin is definitely a must behind the printer.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Bambu's default purge values seem to be very conservative. Dialing these in will save a decent amount of waste. I haven't gone through this, but it is on my todo list;
https://www.printables.com/model/390414

There is a purge into infill but I am not sure if there is a purge into a waste object as well. PrusaSlicer has this for the MMU2. Both of these also cut down the waste.

1 week later
#3925 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

As far as the wrong plate goes, did you not receive a warning before the print started? When I have a plate in the printer that differs from what I had picked in the slicer when generating g-code, I always get a warning on the screen before the print starts telling me this and giving an option of proceeding or cancelling the job.

I am not sure this is right. I have seen errors during slicing when the wrong plate was set for the selected filament (i.e. PLA on the engineering plate). But it had no problem allowing me to send a print meant for the hot plate when the cold plate was installed. Maybe it's supposed to catch it and I just ran into a bug.

Oh, and on the topic of Bambu additional build plates; I looked at multiple plate holders similar to the one you posted. My solution is to store them inside the enclosure on the "floor". I haven't double checked if there would be an interference issue with the bed all the way down, but I would rarely, if ever print to the full Z height. Having them in the enclosure saves a bit of bench space and the potential to knock them on the floor.

#3927 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

To begin with, I am on the most current version of Bambu Slicer and printer firmware. Just happened to me again today. I have a few models that I originally created with the cold plate selected but had the high temp plate on the printer. The printer goes through its entire prep routine then stops and displays a message on the screen. Something to the extent of "The build plate selected in the gcode file does not match the one installed". From there you can cancel or continue the print using the currently installed plate.

Yeah I am the latest as well. That is good to hear and interesting that mine allowed the wrong thing to happen. I'll have to see if I can recreate the scenario. Thanks for the info.

-Rob

#3933 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Also, I have the X1 Carbon. Do you have the same or a P2P?

Same as you. Remember our PM conversation when I convinced you to buy yours? haha

1 month later
#4130 1 year ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

I'm a Prusa Mini user now but I have a MK4 coming. I don't know if anyone has experience in both (Mini and MK3) but what do you think the improvements that I will see? I'm looking forward to wireless printing, direct drive, more stable platform and a swappable hot end. I've been happy with my Mini after several upgrades including a Bondtech extruder gear setup and adding some supports. I also had hotend issues that made me rebuild it with better parts and dialed-in the PTFE tube. The Mini did its job well; it got me and my wife into printing and design. I will miss the small footprint of the Mini because we have it backed into a nook in our kitchen which the MK4 will not fit.

If you haven't already, I would suggest looking into the potential health concerns around the ultra fine plastic particles and fumes that can be emitted. I personally would not choose to have a printer in my kitchen because of these concerns. I only mention since you say you are new to the hobby and maybe not obvious to look into.

#4164 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Those could be modified to add TPU, now that Cura slicer has added a new feature to mix materials.

You definitely do not was sliders made out of TPU. It is way too grippy.

If someone was hell bent on trying different material off their printer, why not just make "caps" that fit over the metal sliders to get a feel for friction differences and test wear properties? Or probably better a cap over the part on the playfield?

I think you will find all materials are inferior to Delrin for this application and that time spent playing around goes way beyond these $25 parts. I am still not convinced there is an actually a problem to solve with the metal solution that already is on the game.

#4166 1 year ago

I agree with this... stop being so logical,

I can't help it

you are crushing my 3d printing dreams, lolol

How about this....It would be an easily justifiable project for nothing else than something to practice cad design on. But I think coming up a design that is a cover over the metal rail would be more interesting and less risky. I mean, do you really want to be testing strength limits of your PETG part with the weight of your unsecured playfield standing straight up 7 feet in the air?

1 week later
#4206 1 year ago

This example is only applicable for the few multi-extruder machines. For the Bambu w/AMS, Support-W filament is meant behave in the same way (low layer adhesion at the support interface layer).

2 weeks later
#4275 11 months ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I’m have an issue on Bambu slicer with a file that works fine in Cura and guidance would be appreciated. First image is the imported file. 2nd image is after I slice it. With supports or no supports part of the file goes missing after slicing.

I ran into a similar looking slicing error recently on BS. Mine was on a known good model that I created and have printed before and seemed very specific to support settings and adding a different support filament to the interface layers. At first I thought it was just a display artifact but confirmed when I tried to print, it actually was screwed up gcode. Since updating to the latest 1.06 beta build, it has gone away. Also maybe try the OrcaSlicer branch and see if it behaves differently.

I wonder what would happen if you cut your model somewhere above where the weirdness starts and only kept the upper half. If it's a model issue, I would expect the artifacts to remain in the exact same place as the full model.

1 week later
#4293 11 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

I’d be willing to remove the fur on my mold if someone with skill to reproduce it was willing to take it on? Ideally, I could get the original back, since I’m anal/OCD/a perfectionist, but if the reproduction was spot on I wouldn’t miss it. I’m trying to get two of these (one for brown fur (Big Foot) and one for white fur (Abominable Snowman / Mumble from Rudolph)). Several people could utilize this mold, so a run of a dozen or two might be ideal.
Thank you
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

PM sent.

3 weeks later
#4356 10 months ago

I am prepping my games for NWPAS and made keychains to help the techs find mine easier.

PXL_20230531_002940270 (resized).jpgPXL_20230531_002940270 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4463 10 months ago
Quoted from justler:

Anyone have a file for the standup circle targets for Williams system 11 machines?
Wanted to print some from petg in green for my grand lizard.

If these are the same across all sys11 games, then I do. I made them for my high speed. I'll post a link when they are loaded up on printables.

#4465 10 months ago
Quoted from justler:

They should be the same. It’s about a 1” circle I think.
Thanks a lot, looking forward to matching the color to my emerald green T drop targets!
RobF Here’s what I have. These are from PBR but are pretty much the same as the original.
1” circle with 1/8” hole, .09” thick

Yeah I think we are talking the same parts. I found a good color match PLA+ to the Williams red. They were pretty much indistinguishable from the new replacements. One of the sets were new replacements, the other set has the 3d printed targets. For reference, the game was played heavily at NWPAS show last year (560 plays for the weekend) before I sold it and they had no problem holding up to the abuse.

https://www.printables.com/model/508421-williams-pinball-target

DSC08860 (resized).JPGDSC08860 (resized).JPGDSC08861 (resized).JPGDSC08861 (resized).JPG
#4475 9 months ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

Looks nice but how come fixing an uncentered standup does not seem to be much of a thing..?

Haha. It's an embarrassing picture to be sure. I sold the game so it was the only picture I could find. Don't worry, all targets were precision aligned after completing the hardtop install and shipping off to the new owner

1 week later
#4553 9 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I would like to asked this group about purchasing a 3D printer. I have been researching them for a couple of days. The two popular ones that are on the top ten list are the Bambu and the Pursa. I want to be able to print different colors. What is my best options for someone that has never owned one?
Thanks

My suggestion is to not jump into 3d printing with the idea of multi-color right off the bat. Spend some time building experience on single color/filament type. There is a lot to learn and simplifying will make your early days in the hobby much more enjoyable. If you must have something in different colors, don't discount the ease of painting.

It's much easier to go from single to multi color printing if you start with Bambu vs. Prusa. The new MMU3 update hasn't been released yet, but I can't see any world where it can match Bambu's AMS. Also keep in mind that the P1P price just dropped $100. That is really hard to ignore.

#4556 9 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm going to disagree with you on this one (with a caveat). If you want to do multi-color by layer printing, it really couldn't be much easier now (when I first started multi-color printing it was via manual g-code injections). Simply right click the layer bar in slicer, click "insert filament change" (or whatever the setting is), generate g-code as you always do, and print away. If using a single filament printer, it will automatically pause and walk you through the filament change (I've done literally thousands of filament swaps on my old Prusa MK3S+ when printing layered multi-color prints). If you are doing something basic, design as you normally would. However, if you are designing a model that is intermediate to advanced, then you'll have to teach yourself to think in terms of printing in color layers when designing your models.
The caveat is if you want to do true multi-color prints, it takes a little more knowledge and configuration, so I would say you should be fully aware of how your slicer and printer work in general before jumping to this type of printing. While the painting tool in the slicers do okay, there are still improvements to be had. There are still models I have that I cannot color correctly using the current slicing paint tools, which leaves me figuring out a different way (e.g. printing in parts and gluing, possibly redesigning, etc.) Also, you cannot intermix using the paint tool and doing layer filament color changes.

It's fair and I understand what you are saying; switching per layer is pretty straightforward. My main point is, jumping into 3d printing for the first time there are plenty of new things to learn and refine for your first 50 or so prints. If the mentality is to start with multi-color print, that means to me, someone is focusing on a final product on the first print. I suggest that getting through the initial learning curve and quality refinement without swapping spools each print will be quicker and easier. I generally try to eliminate variables to establish a solid baseline and then go from there.

2 weeks later
#4617 9 months ago
Quoted from ManbearpigOG:

So I have been scouring the internet today to see if there were different solutions to replacing the fiber board on the EM flippers.
I just bought my first machine (Flip Flop) last Friday and over flowing with info.
Has anyone ever 3D printed it for flippers or drop targets and such? Could standard PLA+ hold up?
I did find a really old post about someone fixing it with epoxy, which made me think 3D printing it would work just fine. Looking at newer rebuild kits, they all look to be injection molded plastic.
I pretty much just run PLA+, but I have a spool of PETG and will be getting some Carbon Fiber soon form buying my Bambu Lab P1Ps (I see there are already plenty of people here with BL, great printers). So I can try all 3 styles when I get to the rebuild process. It seems to my that sourcing the rebuild parts solo might be cheaper if I can just print a few of the parts.[quoted image]

If you are getting the P1S, ASA or polycarbonate will be "easy" for you to print. Oh, and keep in mind that the P1S does not come with a hardened nozzle so abrasives (like any of the CF blends) will rapidly wear out the standard nozzle.

I have printed these for later WPC games, but honestly don't remember which material I used, probably ABS.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2619071
preview_featured (resized).jpgpreview_featured (resized).jpg

#4631 9 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yes, you can iron any layer by adding a modifier, setting its size and position, and then setting the ironing choices on the modifier. You can have multiple modifiers per object. Happy to illustrate if you need me too.

Nice! I didn't know you could do this. Thanks for sharing the tip. It would be handy to have paint on ironing like there is for support and seams.

#4634 9 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here is an illustrated example in Bambu Studio.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for taking the time to post that up. It's how I imagined from your description. But I wonder if it works in all scenarios.

I have found weird unexpected dependencies in BL. For example, you cannot use variable layer height with a prime tower. One side effect of this is the slicer basically ignoring your support interface Z difference when using multi materials unless it is a multiple of the print layer height. For example, I was experimenting using a spool of HIPS as a cheap substitute for Bambu's Support-W material for PLA based prints. I found at 0 interface height (what the slicer recommends for support-W) the HIPS support interface would bond a little too well to the PLA. If I changed the Z interface to say 0.1, the slicer would automatically round that up to 0.25 or whatever my layer height was. The only way around it is to disable the prime tower which is not good for multi material printing.

So I am thinking modifiers that manipulate layer heights (like ironing) may run into the same strange limitations when multi material or more specifically prime towers are enabled.

#4638 9 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

A few points related to using modifiers for applying ironing (BTW, I do not question any of your findings, as I too have found some functionality oddities that need to be addressed):
- I've never had an issue with this methodology, and I've literally used it dozens of times both in Prusa Slicer and now in Bambu Studio.

I haven't seen this specific behavior in Prusa Slicer, but I haven't used the MMU in years. A little more background on my bug report to Bambu here; https://forum.bambulab.com/t/missing-support-layer-height-option/12324

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- I never use a prime tower with any of my multi-color prints (nearly 100% of what I do). Up to this point the default filament flushing has proven to be enough for a complete filament change w/o any color bleeding (even when going from white to dark, clear to red, etc.) Saves me time, filament, and build plate area.

Quoted from ManbearpigOG:

How much do you purge then? I usually run my flushing volume at .7 unless I'm using red (1.0) and then the prime tower. But I would totally be game to learn just to purge. Do you have a video link or other info?

Prime tower isn't for flushing (although it does server that purpose in a small way) it is for priming the nozzle pressure before continuing with the print. It is meant to mitigate oozing and under extrusion at each new start. It's possible that without the prime tower, the slicer attempts to prime into the part infill, but success of this approach would be model dependant.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- I have used modifiers for ironing models having variable layer heights a handful of times and have yet to experience any issues.
Another thing I meant to mention is that sometimes modifiers can overlap different level flat areas. In this case you can set ironing to "topmost layer only" and buy yourself some additional functionality.

Good data point.

#4641 9 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

FYI: I did not have MMU but did manual layer color changes on Prusa.
As fast as the Bambu nozzle moves from primed filament wipe to printing model, it is just not necessary, and in many cases as much nozzle travel occurs from prime tower to model (i.e. as much opportunity for ooze either way). Give it a try, I've literally printed hundreds of multi-color models this way with a multitude of infill patterns and density with absolutely no quality issues. I'm not saying that there may not be some special cases out there where you can visibly see a difference, but I just haven't had one in the 950 hours of printing I've done so far on my X1.

Which materials specifically? Yeah, it is good to hear your experience and will give it a try, but given how little material a prime tower uses I am not sure why it is worth the risk for a multi-hour colored print? I found this interesting video of prime tower experiments on the X1.

My meta point wasn't really to debate prime towers, but that I have seen Bambu Slicer behave strangely when asking it to do multiple complicated things outside of default behavior and it's good to watch out for.

3 weeks later
#4720 8 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

One of my Bambu labs finally had an issue, started under-extruding. Thought I might actually have to buy a new hotend, but one cold pull at 110C, all better.

How do you turn off the motors on the Bambu's? The couple of times I looked for the function, I couldn't find it. I am assuming you had to do this in order to do the cold pull?

3 weeks later
#4844 7 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

Decimal inches or metric, whichever floats your boat. There's a decimal in both, just in a different place is all. I can work in either, but I typically work in metric since that's what we design in at work and it just feels more fluent to me. But there's technically little difference between the two.
Use the units you are comfortable with and which suit your project.

Decimals are just decimals, true. But there are more advantages to sticking with metric for modeling/printing. A few I can think off the top of my head;

- When working on fitting prototypes, for me at least it's a lot easier to estimate one mm here or there versus 0.04 of inches. Even if you just work in mils, 10 mils seems too fine to estimate and 100 mils is too course. 1mm seems just about right.
- Some slicers or other tools that import STLs, assume they were generated in mm. Most have the ability to easily convert or scale, but it's an extra step that adds potential for getting something wrong or loss of accuracy each time you need to transverse tools.
- If you deal with hardware, it's so much easier to understand how to model around metric hardware. For example M4 and M3 versus 1/4" and #4. Thread pitch is also way easier to work with as well. 1.25mm versus 28TPI
- If you need to design with other commercial products that have mechanical drawings you are much more likely to run into drawings only in mm.

#4851 7 months ago

Especially since it's .04"

Ha. Would you believe me if I told you that I did that on purpose to prove my point on trying to avoid stupid conversion errors?

#4883 7 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I know this is a stretch but does anyone know or have any idea what Bambu is talking about for Sept 20th? "Colorful 3D printing for everyone" on their site? I need to order yet another P1S unit with AMS and also another AMS unit, but I can probably wait 9 days if there is something I need to know about coming.

Bambu has now three separate teasers for Sept 20. For the first color printing teaser, here are a couple fun speculations;

1 month later
#5161 5 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

These are single colors, once this big order is done I'll try doing a mixed set and see if that's where it starts snapping it or not.

TPU doesn't snap. It gets wound up in extruder gears. It's a regular pain to deal with this when it's an easy to access hotend. I can imagine it being a giant pain if this happens inside the AMS. The more flexible the material you are using, the more risk there is to this happening. I have had my share of these issues on the prusa that required tweaking extruder tension to get right. Surprising, the Bambu has printed the same and even softer (ninja flex) TPU without issue, but I have never been brave enough to put it through the AMS. You can slow down print speeds and turn off retractions so that the extruder runs really slow and steady. I don't know of a way to adjust the AMS feed motor speed and I imagine that's where the trouble would start.

#5171 5 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Alright, well I can tell a few things about tpu+ams. Don't use overture tpu, it insta fucked me. Priline continues to run well.

Interesting. They both seem to be 95A. Is the Priiline their high speed variant?

How did it fail inside the AMS and how did you fix it?

#5172 5 months ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Would someone in the group be willing to make a Start button for Wizard of OZ? I want to create a cool Start button for my machine. I don't see a Step file online and I am still learning Fusion 360, so my attempts were less than perfect for a Stern button.
(Note: Notches on the button are a recess type on the inside of the button).
I uploaded pics of the button dimensions. Thank You.
Ken
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would encourage you to not give up on it. The best practice is from trying to make something you actually want. I am not sure how you are approaching the modeling, but I see it as pretty much three steps;
- sketch half the side profile off of the z axis line
- rotate the sketch around the z axis
- use shell to hollow it out and to give the desired wall thickness

That will at least get you a button without that notch fairly quickly for test fit.

#5184 5 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

just sent you a message with a model sketch up

totally agree not to give up but sometimes people need a little guidance on the best way to draw,
you could actually draw the button in 2 steps:
- draw the side profile with your thickness and ring notch
- and then rotate around the centre axis
and then just add the last small notch.
The step with adding shell is very handy but not needed in this case

Thanks for the added input. Agreed, your description is the better approach, although I would consider drawing the notched ring in a separate sketch later in the timeline and adding a second revolve with a cut operation to the first Sure, it's more steps, but I find this more flexible would make it a ton easier to go back and make adjustments or use as a template for other like designs. The great and sometimes frustrating part of CAD modeling is there are always multiple ways to come to the same final design. The steps I suggested was to meant to simplify things down to basic elements at the expense of accurate reproduction. A couple insights for consideration based on my experience learning F360 over the years.

- One of the trickiest parts for me has been understanding how to correctly constrain sketches for what F360 expects. After the getting the basics down, next was learning how to do this in ways that leads to easy and flexible parametrization with user set variables. In this regard, I was hesitant to suggest sketching the profile shape with thickness and notch ring details as it would be a more complex drawing. Sketching using Offsets seems the natural way to get the shell thickness, but I find this tool tricky when not a simple chained drawing. Sometimes it does weird things (like reversing directions for positive and negative values) and requires each sketch line to be handled separately which makes it a royal pain to go back and change if adjustments are needed. Also, I don't remember for sure but I think Revolve requires full constrained sketch in order to define the element to execute on. Back to my comment, correctly constraining a multi-line sketch might be frustrating to a beginner.
- Shell isn't needed as you mentioned. I find it a forgiving and straightforward tool that at times can be used as a time saver. It's good thing for a beginner to get comfortable with
- I ignored adding in the notch to help speed up prototyping. Sometimes I like to rush to the basics of a design so I can validate general shapes and dimensions. I am also not sure if the ring notch is a functional requirement. Something else I have learned when trying to reproduce a part is that I spent way too much time to get every detail of the original in the model, only to find complex and time consuming details were unimportant.

There is no right or wrong. There are only tips and tricks to pick up along the way to make life a little easier. I always appreciate learning other's approach to solving the same problem.

#5195 5 months ago

I recently stumbled on HueForge software which opens a whole new world of colored prints. It basically uses the light transmission properties of overlaying colors to create shades and gradients (referred to as filament painting). With the tool you can import any image, pick the filament colors that you have available and adjust how you want the final image to look. It spits out an STL and a list of the layers that require a color switch. This means any printer can be used with the addition of pause commands and manual swapping. The Bambu AMS makes this easier of course as it can be set to switch automatically.

The biggest hurdle to get the results you see on the screen, is that you need to have calibration numbers for the specific filament you are using. The tool has a pretty big library of pre-defined values across multiple brands, but it is not that difficult to create new profiles from what you have on hand. The software starts at $18 for non commercial. It can also do lithophanes, but I haven't played with that at all. There are test models to download and play around with just to get an idea how these look in person;

https://www.printables.com/@StephenLaveda_686551/models
https://shop.thehueforge.com/collections/hueforge

I finished my first print and am pretty excited by the potential. In this one I used black/red/yellow/white. It is 200mmx200mm with a total thickness of only 1.36mm.

PXL_20231024_181708222 (resized).jpgPXL_20231024_181708222 (resized).jpgPXL_20231024_181715927 (resized).jpgPXL_20231024_181715927 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#5386 4 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I know you asked about the MK4, but given my prolonged experience with the MK3 platform and Bambu, I would choose and recommend the Bambu every single time. However, I would be curious if any Prusa to Bambu owner disagrees.

I followed pretty much the same path. Before Prusa, I started with an open source reprap kit and fumbled through that learning curve spending more time modifying firmware and updating the hardware than actually producing quality prints. I moved to the MK3 and it was a welcomed step up in consistency and reliability. Over time I added the MMU2 (which was not good) and the Mini. Conversations in this thread convinced me to give the X1C a try. I had a deposit on the 5 tool Prusa XL when it was first announced, but after the long delays and time spend on the X1C I canceled that. Since then, I have added a P1S and multiple AMSs. I had put an order in for the MK3.9 and MMU3 upgrade kits hoping to find good use for my old Prusa hardware, but again after more delays, I canceled those as well. I just can't logically justify the price for performance in comparison.

Make no mistake, there are things not to like about the Bambu printers and ecosystem. First and foremost I am not a fan of the cloud first approach for various reasons. One specific example is that I lost use of my P1S for two weeks after being unplugged for several days. I was unable to re-bind the printer to my account and bambu tech support was pretty much useless, even after providing them network traffic captures. The short version is that I accidentally resolved it by switching my ISP back from Verizon 5G home to Xfinity. The point is something stupid and completely unrelated can unnecessarily cause wasted hours of frustrating downtime. In a closed system, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer to figure it out. I also find Bambu/Orca Slicer not quite on par with PrusaSlicer specifically for seam print quality and certain workflow usability. I'm also not a fan of the excessive plastic waste. Even understanding the AMS implementation, there are ways this could be reduced, but it just doesn't seem like a consideration. Most of these fall under annoyances and lack of refinement, but it is healthy to say they are not perfect and can be improved.

But in the end I completely agree. Without hesitation I would recommend Bambu over Prusa.

#5391 4 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Next time you have the network issue remember you can just grab the MicroSD card and save the files to that from your computer

Yes I understand. My printers are in an outshop, so it's an inconvenience to walk back and forth with a micro card. I also think I could have forced it to LAN mode, but was working on troubleshooting the issue. My X1C that was sitting right next to it continued to function 100%. The bug in their network code is confined to the binding handshake, but once associated with an account normal printing is fine.

#5399 4 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Remember that if you don't mind losing the Bambu Handy app on your mobile device, there you can configure your Babmu for LAN mode only and not have to participate in any way in their cloud ecosystem (seems like your last post acknowledges this, but I typed this message originally before I read it). This is how I've been running for a few months now and prefer it. The only current issue is that you must be connected to the internet for firmware updates. Simple setting, reboot, let it do the firmware update, and then go back to LAN only mode.

Yep. They have (begrudgingly) improved LAN only mode for sure. An interesting footnote with my interaction with Bambu support is that they provided test FW to experiment with. It was simple to load the file on the SD card and the printer easily recognized it and updated. This means a robust offline update mechanism is already in place, but they still want to restrict it to cloud only for whatever reason.

#5411 4 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Yes I kicked that fucker before I opened it

The driver or the box?

3 weeks later
#5634 3 months ago
Quoted from mark532011:

has anyone tried to print a replacement ramp? I know it would have to be thicker than a metal one but it seems like at least the smaller ones might work.
My DE Star Wars has a busted center ramp. Since replacements are $130 I am going to go and talk to a welder and see what they would cost but my wife took a look at it and said, "why don't you just print one?"[quoted image]

I have seen plenty of homebrew games with 3d printed ramps, so sure it has been done. How are your CAD skills and how much do you value your time? I would guess at least 10hrs of prototyping and you will still be fighting designing and building it in multiple pieces that fit your build volume restrictions. My opinion is $130 sounds like a pretty good deal for perfectly fitting, brand new metal ramp. But if excited about giving it a go, don't let me talk you out of it

1 week later
#5726 3 months ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Given the curve I would also put that on a scanner and grab an image. Then it can be vectorized in 2d and then an accurate 3d model can be made from that.

This would be overkill. The shapes are simple to model. One minute with a digital caliper is all you need.

#5801 3 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

They did not print well LOL but are good enough to test fit and then we can discuss further options.

Quoted from swinks:

I am wondering if it better to 3d print a 2 part mold and make silicon flap gates

I am assuming the trouble is with the support areas? Layer adhesion is one of my favorite properties of TPU, but it makes any kind of support really difficult to deal with. A couple thoughts that may make it better;

1) Use a dissimilar material for the interface layer. I have never tried this with TPU, but maybe just swapping in PETG for one layer would do the trick? Of course this a small pain to manually swap out. I wouldn't try with the AMS, but I know jrcmlc is much for adventurous

2) Redesign slightly so that the bottom edge has no groove and is flush top to bottom. Then print fully vertical with no support required. It may look bad since it could not cover the face of the metal flap completely.

3) Design into two halves. Use the center section as the key with the bottom half presenting the shell (female) and the top half with the interior of the the shell (male). Use any adhesive to combine them.

3 weeks later
#6029 76 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

If they're being sold, I don't understand how that helps. The customer isn't likely reprinting them, so they're paying something, plus shipping in most cases... And I've never broken one of mine, although I'm sure it does happen. Anyway, I was just curious not being critical or anything. Whatever works for them.

One could also reverse the mounting sides easily.

#6036 76 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

This could work. I never liked ours mounted on the left front, and never bothered to click "mirror" in Bambu to print one that was made for the left, lol, but this makes sense. Cool look with the twine and all that too.

I have printed a few of these drink holders from Thingiverse with the same two piece design. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2268960 Maybe this is the model that you based yours on?

Besides the swapping around sides, I have been guilty of breaking a couple by bumping into them. Indeed it is nice to only needing to just reprint the mount.

Also, as a small bonus, I reused the same mount and designed a headphone holder to match.headphone (resized).pngheadphone (resized).png

#6065 75 days ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I found these railings that will work great for Pirates Dauntless rails, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to angle them in Fusion 360. The angles are all 90 degrees.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:807548
I tried for an hour to see if anything felt intuitive on this, then scoured tutorials for another hour. If anyone point me to a video or can spell it out for me I'd appreciate it. (I want to learn)

It's not clear to me what you are trying to get to and how it is different from the example. Also, is kind of sounds like you trying to manipulate the STL in F360. If so, I would strongly suggest to instead design it from scratch. You will be happier with the result with less frustration and probably learn a bunch of new F360 modeling techniques along the way. I think the key piece to getting what you want is spending time with the repeated pattern along path function.

#6067 75 days ago

Yes, trying to edit an existing file. Seems like editing would be easier to learn than ground up modeling (of course I don't know, being new). Create a chopping point, change angle, fill in gaps. Maybe the program is not made to do this?

My opinion is that you will have a learning curve and frustration either way. But in modifying the STL, you will be frustrated with swimming upstream of trying to manipulate something to look like something else in a format that isn't intended to be manipulatable. By designing from the ground up, you will be frustrated by the learning curve of being new to modeling techniques and how the tool works. The difference is, for the latter you will learn skills that will benefit and grow with every model after. The former, I see the learnings as limited and somewhat throwaway in that the next STL you want to manipulate will have it's own unique challenges to get what you want. And in addition to getting generally lower quality results, you won't learn best practices.

I am sure there are other opinions and likely to point you to starting with Blender for STL manipulation. That's not the route I went, so better to let somebody else speak to the best alternatives.

#6069 75 days ago

Nice! Pretty cool someone worked the example for you. It is exactly how I pictured doing it in my head; make the one banister shape, make the rail, pattern the one banister along path of the rail. Once you get comfortable with that example, play with the F360 timeline and modify the banister shape/height. Then go to the end of the timeline. If designed with best practices (parametric references and fully constrained sketches) the final design will update automagically and you will get a sense of the power of the tool if used correctly. Also play with the pattern function and you can easily change the number of banisters and their spacing. You can also exclude individual instances from the generated pattern. Lots to play with and learn!

Be sure to share how it turns out. If you did not know, with F360 you can easily share a link to the model for others to view (under File -> Share -> Link).

2 weeks later
#6210 62 days ago

And this was what was worried about. What support settings would make this cleaner?
PLA. 2mm
Current support settings: zig zag, density 10%, z distance . 2, angle 45
Would support interface help or make it worse? Interface density? Should I change the z distance?
[quoted image]

Maybe try leaning the model as far back as your build volume allows and force all the support to the smooth side?

3 weeks later
#6404 34 days ago
Quoted from RobF:

I have printed a few of these drink holders from Thingiverse with the same two piece design. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2268960 Maybe this is the model that you based yours on?
Besides the swapping around sides, I have been guilty of breaking a couple by bumping into them. Indeed it is nice to only needing to just reprint the mount.
Also, as a small bonus, I reused the same mount and designed a headphone holder to match.[quoted image]

Finally uploaded this to printables. https://www.printables.com/model/803310-pinball-headphone-hanger

Make sure to also print the mounting piece from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2268960

PXL_20240217_224740264 (resized).jpgPXL_20240217_224740264 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.