PXL_20240402_013903958 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider latecenturymods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Does anybody know how to export a
File from blender? I keep trying to convert to
An .stl but it ends up too small and there are these strange posts (I think they are supposed to be holes)

I'll tell you how I'm doing it.

Edit>Preferences>Add-ons
* Enable Import-Export: STL format
* Enable Mesh: 3D-Print Toolbox

This adds a Sidebar item in the 3D Viewport (press N) with 3D print-related tests. This helps a lot in finding bad meshes. I've been using Clean Up>Make Manifold lately and it often solves piddly problems without hassle.

At the bottom of 3D-Print Toolbox is Export. I select the model I want to send out and click this - very quick. I leave the options unchecked.

In Properties editor on the right:
Scene Properties>Units
* Metric
* Unit Scale 0.001000
* Length Millimeters

This is my standard setup. Your slicer may require a different scale; I'm using PrusaSlicer.

Load Blender, change settings, File>Defaults>Save Startup File to make changes permanent.

3 months later
#515 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Could somebody print me up a set of these Data East Simpsons pop bumper cooling towers? They're sold out literally everywhere. I have a friend here in town with a printer but he says he can't do "ABS or acetone vaporing." ...

Seems like you could spray clearcoat over a non-ABS print and get the same appearance.

3 months later
#854 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Any tips on printing with TPU? I can't finish a print without it messing up.

Filament drive gear needs to be loosened compared to regular plastics. I'm new to TPU and I'm finding it rather stringy. What's your machine doing?

1 month later
#940 2 years ago
Quoted from Lopa:

I’m looking to pick up a 3d printer and am looking for suggestions in and around the $1000 range.
Thanks in advance

Hard to go wrong with Ender 3, it is the leader in sales volume, low price, performance per dollar, and retail availability of parts in the USA at Micro Center. Not the greatest build quality, but you can buy two and keep both of them running most of the time. Good choice if you just want to dabble without a big investment.

But I'm still going to say Prusa MK3S+, no contest. The price looks out of line with the Creality lineup until you see they use name brand bearings, belts, and even connectors, instead of price conscious imitations. Hardened machine rods for alignment instead of Delrin rollers on the frame. Auto bed leveling and magnetic PEI sheet, which should be minimum standard features, not upgrades. After 4 years of MK3 production, they are still maintaining and improving the firmware. Prusa is committed to an upgrade kit to the next model (if that's important to you), just like the last 5 in the series.

Ender is the Wal-Mart Black and Decker special that will get you through projects. Prusa is the DeWalt or Milwaukee. I saved up for the better 3D printer, and I am glad I did.

Another recommendation for PrusaSlicer; it is shaping up to be an industry leading slicer, and comes with both Creality and Prusa printer profiles.

3 months later
#1341 2 years ago

Just FYI, there are only a handful of legitimate Capricorn dealers on Amazon.

https://www.captubes.com/resellers.html

#1395 2 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I’m not sure if anyone else saw this but micro center is selling ender 3 pros for $99 after coupon.
Here is the coupon
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/specialoffer3dprinter.aspx

Wow, you got lucky there. I'm seeing $100 off of a $300 Ender 3 Pro. $200 is still good, plus you're supporting local retail.

4 months later
#1926 2 years ago
Quoted from sandro:

I don’t know if it will help anyone out, but Microcenter is (still?) running their $99 Ender 3 Pro deal for new customers.
The link to the coupon is here:
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/specialoffer3dprinter.aspx#eduformdiv
You have to purchase in-store, so this isn’t going to work for everyone, but otherwise it’s a pretty good deal.

Was at the local store last week and they had about 200 of these in stock. Either this has been a smashing success of a promotion, or someone fat-fingered an order for 100,000 printers instead of 10,000 and they are still getting rid of them...

#1929 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Curious what experienced 3d printer experts can help me understand….what is best home 3d printer??? ...

There's no one best answer. To get your feet wet and to understand the principles of 3D printing, get an Ender 3. It costs less, replacement parts are dirt cheap and widely available, and there is tons of advice on how to use it. It will do the job, but it is made to the price point and there is lots of room for improvement. Read toyotaboy's reply above for examples of improvements.

I went with the Prusa because it already comes with all the improvements that I would have made to an Ender 3. It is $800 delivered (if you build it yourself) or about $1100 plus import duties for the fully assembled one. It isn't the most convenient choice. There are no consumer distributors in the USA, except for some replacement parts. At the moment, it takes a month to get, give or take.

Went straight from almost zero experience to a >97% print success rate. (It would be >99% if I had chosen to buy the smooth PEI sheet, but I wanted the textured one. They now sell the printer with both, if you want them.) It needed only 1 adjustment (the Z-height), and I did that twice because, well, zero experience. All other adjustments are automatic.

toyotaboy is correct about the hot end. It's surrounded by part-cooling vents and even just seeing it is awkward. People accidentally break wires trying to remove and replace the nozzle. If it needs major maintenance the hot end has to be broken down piece by piece. So far I haven't needed to do that. In almost two years I've lubricated the bearings, replaced one nozzle, tightened the extruder screw (my fault for loosening it too much for flexible TPU material), cleared one filament jam (through the door on the side of the extruder) and repaired the filament sensor (factory production flaw; I took a razor blade and trimmed off a millimeter or so from one plastic piece and put it back). Very little hassle.

2 weeks later
#2060 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is a 3D printing thread, so I won't drag it too off topic going back to discussing lasers, but FWIW I have a Prusa Mk3, a 600x400mm 50 watt Omtech laser, and a Onefinity CNC (32"x32" work area), and the way the tools overlap and compliment each other is just enormously helpful on a regular basis...

How is the Omtech? Does it need any mods for sensible users? I spoke to someone who has one a couple of weeks ago, they said they were afraid of it and it's in the garage. With any luck they'll think of me if and when their fear wins over their project ideas. LOL

1 month later
#2317 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I remember somebody mentioning a 3D printer build plate that had a texture very similar to the black powder coat texture on the coin door, so that printing parts (and paint them black) would look very similar, but I can't find the reference, any pointer ?
Thanks

The Prusa textured build plate gives an excellent texture. Small PLA parts don't stick very well to it, though, so you'll need to add a brim.

Both Cura and PrusaSlicer have the fuzzy skin texture feature that isn't the same but looks nice.

11 months later
#4333 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It was a real 8~ crashes. Something is definitely up physically

This helped me.

Prusa crash troubleshooting in a nutshell:
◦ If all or part of print came loose, impact with loose plastic is likely the problem
◦ Check error count to see which axis, X or Y
◦ Belt too loose/tight? Belt should sound like a bass string when plucked
◦ Belt Status number is an indication of motor current—too high and it’s assumed there is an obstruction. Ideal number is 240-300, but can go outside range so long as it works. Under 240: loosen the belt. Over 300: tighten the belt
◦ X-axis? Make sure motor mount on left side isn't cracked
◦ Sticky or underlubricated bearings and dirty rods
◦ X-axis bearings may bind if you overtightened the screws on rear extruder housing (where the bearings are)

1 month later
#4543 10 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm still getting used to the slicer - seems very similar to Slic3r; maybe forked from it originally?

Well, yes. Bambu Studio is forked from PrusaSlicer, which is based on Slic3r. https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/blob/master/README.md

They pushed some of the in-progress Prusa features out early, so for a long while it looked more advanced than PrusaSlicer did. They also added the Bambu cloud features, while PrusaConnect is still in beta and has only a handful of users - including themselves, of course.

3 months later
#5136 6 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

New X1E is up, not sure when they announced it
https://bambulab.com/en-us/x1e

Well that's interesting... Ethernet, network security, no-cloud support, build chamber temperature management, and air filtering, $2500 with AMS. "For additional [network communication] customization details, please contact your regional reseller." By (I presume) going ahead and paying to license the heated chamber patents, they tackle the "engineering department" desktop corporate market. Prusa machines can make the same parts but don't have the single purchase out-of-the-box experience.

1 month later
#5461 4 months ago

No wonder you're frustrated- that's about the worst ringing I've seen.

#5486 4 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Unrelated I still have no door.

Was thinking of you at Micro Center last night. I saw they had a stack of replacement doors and thought this must be a very common complaint for Bambu to have asked them to stock doors alongside the bed plates and window kits.

1 month later
#6081 81 days ago

No need to use OnShape, F360, Blender, etc. to apply SVGs. You can right click the objects list in PrusaSlicer (or Bambu's version) and select Add Part>SVG, and set position, thickness, angle, etc. You can leave it as an object or sub-object, or bake the SVG into a design. Click on an existing object to use an SVG as a modifier or negative volume. It will even wrap an SVG around the curved surface of an existing object.

#6082 81 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

[quoted image]

Sweet, having another go at it? Best of luck with the new gear!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider latecenturymods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=latecenturymods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.