image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevin_lheureux.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#916 2 years ago

Just joined the 3D printer club though our business owns a half dozen they’re always busy. My partner also does all the engineering and I just ohh and ahh so it’s good to get some real hands on time on one. Picked up the new Anycubic Vyper for $359. The build and setup was dead simple. Auto leveling bed is a huge plus and prints so far looks fantastic.

B2EC73ED-081D-4349-AA09-BA1CC045B6CA (resized).jpegB2EC73ED-081D-4349-AA09-BA1CC045B6CA (resized).jpegC107F236-044A-4D78-8DB8-6E00C17D8013 (resized).jpegC107F236-044A-4D78-8DB8-6E00C17D8013 (resized).jpeg

2DFE4C46-85A4-4C52-87B3-851FC32F0296 (resized).jpeg2DFE4C46-85A4-4C52-87B3-851FC32F0296 (resized).jpegA8843674-2FA6-4B5B-9627-213DD7213A2D (resized).jpegA8843674-2FA6-4B5B-9627-213DD7213A2D (resized).jpeg87AFF2AB-FD4B-4D09-BB23-6340BECB149A (resized).jpeg87AFF2AB-FD4B-4D09-BB23-6340BECB149A (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#1044 2 years ago

Has anyone made a simple ball holder that can be place on a flat surface to hold pinballs while you're working on it? Those things are like soap.

I looked on Thingivierse but didn't see anything.

#1046 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Tantrum to the rescue! Not exactly what you’re looking for but it will definitely work
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3269881

Ah yes, Mr. Tantrum rocks. I did see this though it would be a bit dangerous for repair use. More of an art piece. I want something that will really secure them so I don’t send em flying.

#1050 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

So a square with a 1/2 sphere cut out basically? Maybe a wider base? Easy enough to model. I can do it this weekend if no one chimes in before that

Basically, yes. I started playing around in Tinkercad as well but for some reason I can’t find the void tool. Lol.

Quoted from mbwalker:

I just set them in the lockdown bar when it's off the pin (setting upside down). Or on a clean rag.
Don't overthink a simple solution unless you just want to play around printing stuff.

Well as I’ve been working on pins since I bought my first High Speed in high school 1989 it’s always been a pain dropping balls off lockbars. You tell the, to stay but they don’t always listen. I’d like to have a reasonable solution. Thinking of using TPU would be the way to go on this as well.

#1051 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Is this what you want - will hold 6 balls
[quoted image]

That would work well I believe.

#1055 2 years ago

I truly appreciate that swinks! I’ve been on Shapeways in the past and know their process. I will download and print for myself. Thank you again!

#1056 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Right in front of you! [quoted image]

I did use that and figured it was a void tool. Why call it a hole though? Dumb. Honestly, I played around with it for a few minutes I had available today.

#1060 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Right in front of you! [quoted image]

This was what I came up with yesterday when I first looked at TC for a few minutes. From here I would add some inclusions to remove material between the round sections to remove unnecessary material. I am printing swinks model now and will share that here when done.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.50.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.50.38 AM (resized).png
#1061 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I don't use thingiverse but keep all my models at Shapeways and a small range as a free download. Just register a Shapeways account and then use this link and you will see my range of free models. Only took a few minutes to print up - not to be on sold but print and enjoy for yourself or a mate.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksdownload&sort=newest
ignore the price that is if someone wants to buy one and that is mostly shapeways fee, it is a long part about 171mm long x 33mm wide x 20mm high. Share a picture if it worked for you.
under the description is a Download Product - which allows you to download the STL file.

Thank you swinks! Printed your model and it works great. I used PLA 10% infill, probably could've gone 0 infill to save some time. Took approx. 2hrs to print. So much better than using a rag! I'll stick some thin adhesive-backed foam on the bottom for placing on glass and likely try one in TPU next.

IMG_7919 (resized).JPGIMG_7919 (resized).JPGIMG_7920 (resized).JPGIMG_7920 (resized).JPG
#1069 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Are you not removing the glass when taking the balls out?
I also printed it, I taped mine to the coinbox, need to print them now in Silver for a better match. Maybe tape it to the inside of the coindoor. [quoted image]

If I ever figure out a way to remove the balls without removing the glass I’ll let you know. I usually place the balls on the game next to it or a countertop. I just ordered a roll of TPU to test a print as well which will keep it from sliding on surfaces.

I like your idea of placing it on the coin box as well.

#1072 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just an opinion but for this application TPU would be way overkill and tough to print with the model printer you posted. TPU really needs a dual drive feed system and enclosure to pull off decent parts. For a simple ball holder a cheap PLA would be the way to go as it doesn't need to be flexible.

Thanks Yelo. Lot's of people print just fine with TPU on the Vyper. I've seen many posts on the Vyper groups about it. I'll give it a shot and see.

Quoted from mattosborn:

I would just add a small lip to the base of that holder so it tucks under the lockbar.

Good idea

1 week later
#1077 2 years ago

In case anyone is interested I printed one out with flexible TPU and it is the way to go. Really nice and rigid but with some malleability and will not scratch anything around it or break if it fell. I used a Vyper members Prusa TPU profile but still need to play around with retraction to make it flawless. Really though its a functional part so it is great as-is.

I printed some TPU glass protectors which also turned out great. I highly recommend printing both for your toolbox.

IMG_8032 (resized).JPGIMG_8032 (resized).JPGIMG_8036 (resized).JPGIMG_8036 (resized).JPG
#1080 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ahh, OK. Looking at your other posts, you needed a place to rest the balls on the pin after taking the glass off, but putting the lock bar in place?

Not putting the bar back on. Simply placing the ball holder on the game next to it for safe storage while working.

6 months later
#2074 1 year ago
Quoted from Jigs:

I may just screw around with the Ender. And pick up a Vyper FDM as well.
I'm going to order this as well today.
amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »
Any thoughts on these? I'm just prototyping.
EDIT - Canceled my order for Ender and bought an Anycubic Kobra. Still shopping the resin printer.
Thanks

Nice choice. I love my Vyper. No issues from day 1 and have printed a wide variety of parts and sizes including multi-day prints. It's been plug and play. I've started designing parts which has made it truly an asset.

1 month later
#2252 1 year ago

Super excited to be backer #21 on the new Bambu Lab X1 Carbon with AMS. Cannot wait for multi color prints and speed. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bambulab/bambu-lab-x1-corexy-color-3d-printer-with-lidar-and-ai

#2259 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Since these are the DJI boys who masterminded this, after some research I decided to back it. Unlike most kickstarter projects these are on the assembly line ready to ship in July. I imagine I'll get mine in August at some point.
I went ahead with the X-1Carbon and AMS system. I'll report back when/if I receive it.
r/
Mike

Exactly the reasons that gave me confidence in backing this Kickstarter as well. It seems this KS was more of a marketing and awareness tool than a need to rise capital.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

That looks ridiculously awesome. Lidar????? amazing

According to their blog, it's a fork of the Slic3r/Superslicer/Prusaslicer

#2261 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm skeptical of the multi-color printing capability, as that's had pretty lame results even from Prusa - but eventually SOMEBODY's got to get it right! I'm curious how much post-proessing went into all their demo prints; those all look pretty professional

There's a great Bambu user group on Facebook where an incredible amount of detail is shared from test users whom have the units already. Lots of Youtube videos as well. The results I've seen are impressive with no post processing. Bambu Lab appear to be taking printing to the next level (from a consumer and small business standpoint) with AI, Lidar and other new technologies for the segment which is welcome and needed to get 3D printing past the hobbiest/tinkerer threshold.

#2264 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks, I have to check that out. Are there Bambus out in the wild yet, or is it mostly just Youtube influencers?

They have seeded to youtuber/influencer types and those with a lot of experience in order to get feedback primarily on the software side of things though those units seeded are all production models, not protos or pre-production.

Tons of information here https://www.facebook.com/groups/bambulabofficialusers

#2312 1 year ago

My Anycubic Vyper has a textured plate and the the surface is relatively close to the coin door surface texture. Planning on going back and shooting it with a bit glossier black which should match even better.

IMG_9754 (resized).jpgIMG_9754 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2327 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

My Anycubic Vyper has a textured plate and the the surface is relatively close to the coin door surface texture. Planning on going back and shooting it with a bit glossier black which should match even better. [quoted image]

Here it is painted gloss black. It's a great match.

IMG_9958 (resized).JPGIMG_9958 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2371 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Treated myself to a 3d Printer for my birthday, got the Prusa mk3s+ kit, took 3+ weeks to get, and then a weekend to assemble. Assembly was a bit more involved that I realized, but was an enjoyable experience and I was beyond thrilled when after assembly it all just worked. I did crack one part, but have printed a replacement so if it every fails I can replace it.
During the three week wait, I taught myself blender and I've just shared publicly my first project, a reimagined Otto for Oktoberfest. I probably should have started with something smaller, but hey, go big or go home.

Fantastic work. Very well done.

#2379 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I found a good tutorial on doing characters, and that got me started, and it was just the first version that was done in 3 weeks, I spent another 3+ weeks refining it and I would certainly do things differently if I was doing it again. It certainly took a lot of time to get the hang of blender and figure things out, but I like a challenge and I had the time.
This was my first print, a current unpainted and the painted . . .
[quoted image]

Great work especially for your first creation. You just won Pinside this week

3 weeks later
#2401 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Looking good indeed. May I know the model you used? A friend downloaded one from thingiverse, but it did not fit his Mandalorian Pro
Cheers

Those are likely the same ones that are on thingiverse. I made of bunch of them for my and friends games as well. They do fit though they need to be sanded out a small amount in the center as they are a bit snug initially.

#2404 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Usually I just adjust the scale and print it at 100.5% or 101% if parts are too tight.

That's usually reasonable but then you're chasing a perfect fit and if they're too loose then they are trash. Since they are very close already, a quick hit with 120 grit and they fit snugly without worry of falling off when you lift the playfield.

#2405 1 year ago

My new Bambu Lab X1 Carbon has arrived and is AMAZING! Prints are lighting fast even in "sport" mode (~200mm/s) and the finish almost feels like its injection molded in many cases. I don't think my Vyper will see much use going forward.

IMG_0185 (resized).JPGIMG_0185 (resized).JPGIMG_0178 (resized).JPGIMG_0178 (resized).JPGIMG_0175 (resized).JPGIMG_0175 (resized).JPGIMG_0188D (resized).JPGIMG_0188D (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPG
#2408 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

yeah I was tempted but there was not much talk about software and use with a Mac so held off.
Congrats

Im running the software on a Mac. Zero issues. In fact it hasn't crashed once since I installed it unlike Cura.

#2412 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

How does the filament changing work on that one? I was trying to find details, but could not find much except for RFID on the reel which kind of seems frustrating?

I have the AMS which is an automatic filament system. You can choose the primary filament feed for a single type/color/support in the slicer or on the unit as well as by 3d model color location in the slicer if applicable. It’s aimed to make things easier espe for mult-material prints. The unit comes with 4 Bambu spools which are reloadable or you can use most any 3rd party spool. RFID is a bonus.

#2414 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

But it's still a single extruder system so when you say automatic, I was wondering how it manages to load in the next filament, this was not clear from what I saw...

I see. The ams feeds, retracts and loads new material from one of 4 positions via the primary ptfe feed tube into the head as needed. Hope that makes sense. More info here https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/home

#2416 1 year ago

Bed is heated. I use hairspray though some have said there’s not a need for it with PLA. I’d rather not chance it.

1 week later
#2464 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Such a price diff in between ender and for example the bamboo.
I am thinking of getting my first printer and feel like there is so much to learn… and so little time. That is why the bamoo was interesting, looked like an easy optio to start off

Those are complete opposite ends of the spectrum in every way and depends on what you are looking to get out of your experience. Not really comparable otherwise. If you want a "turn-key" print option go with Bambu.

2 weeks later
#2551 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Has anyone figured out a way to print something so it goes over the shooter rod or replaces the head? If we could figure this out for pinball custom shooter rods this hobby would really pick up.

Yes. This is my Godzilla monster egg as an example. I’m sure I’m not the first to do it.

7D12EF57-9D57-4F7E-BBBC-3CF3B7B01200 (resized).jpeg7D12EF57-9D57-4F7E-BBBC-3CF3B7B01200 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#2638 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

No need for low speed and that is one of the primary reasons I bought this. This combines speed and quality that no other printer can match as of yet without heavy modifications and slicer manipulation. This benchy came out better, straight from the file they have installed, then my ender could've ever printed.
.4 nozzle .2 layer height. Zero stringing or sag at warp speed. Crazy. Couldn't believe what I was watching.
I mean you could shrink the nozzle to .2 and layer height to .08 if you want to and I'm sure it can handle it just fine. Every day application, I'm more than satisfied with this.
Any artifact you see here is the actual layer on the overhangs. It's clean.
[quoted image]

Glad to see you’ve received your Bambu and seeing how amazing it is. I was backer #22 I believe? Had mine since End of July and loving it. I print almost daily and am still blown away by it.

1 week later
#2658 1 year ago

Perhaps not much has changed beyond slicers improving in the age of Prusa's but If you've got the budget and want an amazing next generation machine look at the Bambu Lab X-1. I stepped up from my Anycubic Vyper and will never go back. it's like a horse and buggy now.

Sure it's great to learn the nuts and bolts of old technology but I'd rather learn the nuts and bolts of the newer technology if I was getting into the hobby now. Still plenty to learn either way.

If you want or budget allows for a very inexpensive printer you can't go wrong with a Prusa, Creality, Anycubic, etc.

Here's a good Bambu review

1 month later
#2860 1 year ago

Saw this on the Bambu Lab user group yesterday. looks like BL is prepping to compete at the lower cost level before going larger. Rumor is $550 cost on the P1P.

1 week later
#2900 1 year ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Got the Bambu X1 Carbon this week, finally got around to printing with it today. First impressions:
1) This printer is on a different level than the qidi and prusa I have. Like completely destroys them from a functionality/speed standpoint
2) The default plate I'm having issues getting stuff to stick properly. I've had this issue with almost every printer at first, either it sticks too much or too little and eventually I figure out the secret sauce.
3) I printed one of the things I think takes 8 hours on my qidi and like 7 hours on the prusa. On the Bambu it took 2 1/2 hours. Crazy fast.
4) I haven't tried multicolor yet but am trying that now. It was easy to setup.
5) Quality isn't better or worse than my other printers. About identical.
6) I can print remotely and monitor it via camera/app, and it even sends me notifications when things have gone wrong, and pauses the print if it detects issues.
7) It's built like a tank.
8) It's loud. Not a quiet printer due to the speed I think
I'll see how I like it as I go on. Key thing is what happens when there are issues and I'll have to use it longer to figure out the servicing part. I don't think it's as modifiable as other printers, I think it's pretty set in stone here. I'd really like to use a glass bed but I don't think that's supported yet unfortunately.
Just thought I would give my impressions for now.

Congrats. Love my X1 Carbon. It’s an amazing machine. My Vyper just sits there collecting dust. Really no reason to use it anymore even though I said I would.

#2904 1 year ago
Quoted from taylor34:

First test of the multicolor went well. Did you have bed adhesion issues on yours when you started? Everything on it is top notch, I just need to figure out how to get stuff to stick to the cool plate.
[quoted image]

That print looks great. No adhesion issues getting the prints to stick, just the opposite. Prints stick too well to the cool plate if untreated. The glue stick they suggest to use to allow for easy print removal. I remove The plate and spray it with Aqua Net because it’s so much easier and cleaner than glue stick. I only use that once in awhile for spot applications. I also bought their new textured PEI sheet recently.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Joel the 3d printing nerd reviewed it. He likens it to a slow dance for the perimeter and then a crazy jiggle for the infill

This is actually the just launching and lower featured P1P and not the X1 which is fully enclosed and prints faster as well as more fully featured.

#2988 1 year ago

Not mine but a Bambu group member on Facebook posted his Mecha Godzilla print on his X1 Carbon. I may have to make this into a topper.

IMG_0349 (resized).jpgIMG_0349 (resized).jpg
#2999 1 year ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Hey - That's my build!

Fantastic job. I know that it's a very large scale and took quite a bit of material and time to build. Really impressive.

4 weeks later
#3188 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

really liking mine! just got it, never printed before.
I am hoping they make a good enclosure for it, I know you can print panels for it now but does not seem to seal it.
Also, what are the filaments brand that you wold recommend for it? Again I am totally new here, so this might be an ignorant question... but I noticed that for example on their website they do not sell PETG and the other filaments compatible with this printer... so makes me wonder, why would they not have the filaments that I need for this one? They do have lots of abs and pla, but not much else.
Should I buy my filament elsewhere?

Lots of good filaments out there really and everyone has their go to. I’ve used a ton of PolyMaker/PolyTerra even before I got my X1C with my Vyper but now use PolyTerra filaments for nearly all PLA. Overture, Sunlu, Hatchbox are all great as well. The Bambu slicer also has preset profiles for PolyMaker filaments though not sure how much that matters. It’s rumored that they even manufacture and white label the Bambu brand.

I think in the old days there were lots of variables in filament but it’s all pretty consistent these days.

1 week later
#3261 1 year ago

Cab protectors. I've printed a set but not applied legs yet. I printed these at 75% infill rectilinear, 5 walls. Overkill. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure they will work just fine.

https://www.printables.com/model/119523-pinball-cabinet-leg-protector

IMG_1253D (resized).JPGIMG_1253D (resized).JPG

IMG_1220D (resized).JPGIMG_1220D (resized).JPG
#3277 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

PLA is really a very good middle of the road filament; it’s not THAT sensitive to humidity levels after it’s printed; it can withstand reasonable high (but indoor) temperatures, and does not shrink over time. It’s also pretty flexible (although not as much as PETG) and can be printed thick for extra tensile strength. No fumes. Biodegradable. It’s the “default” filament for a reason - successful for most general applications.

All great points except for "biodegradable" which it definitely is not. Not even recyclable in the consumer waste stream unfortunately. I do have a friend whom is working on manufacturing a truly biodegradable filament based on his patented formulations. Fingers crossed, it would be a huge deal. Hoping to get some to test as well.

I've been using Polymer PLA and PLA pro with great results. I also print a fair amount of TPU and more recently flexible PLA which felt identical to TPU.

#3301 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

PLA is compostable but requires constant high temperatures or a basic additive to break down the hardened molecular structure, and while it takes a LONG time on its own (but hundreds of years less than typical plastics), it will break down in a landfill. It is consumable by bacteria (the basic effect of composting), which is the literal definition of biodegradable.
The other attempts at creating PLA out there are to create a polylactic acid which breaks down even quicker under non-controlled conditions. Definitely would be a good step forward

Actually it is not. While the definition to be able to label your product "Biodegradable" is very strict there is a massive difference between that and "degradable" which is not minor at all and these terms are often times used out of context.

Technically, every product on earth is degradable, because it will eventually break down either biologically or chemically.

Biodegradable, meanwhile, is a product that will be broken down by organisms or bacteria.

Traditional petroleum-based plastics and other heavy metal and chemical based materials fall into the category of degradable, but not biodegradable. They never break down fully into their natural elements to be repurposed by the earth; merely into smaller pieces over a long time.

Plastics are the biggest offenders, because they’re either photo-degradable (break down in sunlight) or oxo-biodegradable into smaller pieces called microplastics.

My Packaging company manufactures product that is MRF, municipal recycle facility approved meaning the fibers, print and coatings can be 50 state recycled and will biodegrade within months as if it were never here though we cannot technically call it biodegradable because it can take a bit longer than 180 days to do so.

Remember, just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's gone. Plastics are the best example we have of this.

1 week later
#3350 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

A key point for me to 3D printing is the slicer. I've not taken the time to actually work with Bambu Studio, but am curious how it handles the typical features that I'm accustomed to in Prusa Slicer. Currently, there aren't any Bambu profiles in Prusa Slicer, but has anyone developed/performed import files to support the Bambu printers?
I've also heard mention in a couple of reviews that the Bambu is somehow tethered to their cloud, is this true? If so, in what way? From the videos I've seen this isn't apparent.
Does the Bambu have ethernet and/or WiFi built in so you can easily transfer gcode files from your computer to it? Can you save via the network to the installed SD card as well as onboard memory?
Also, I don't quite understand the calibration pattern. It eats into a significant portion of the build plate area, which would seem to effectively subtract that from the printable area. Is this the case or am I missing something?
Finally, I print 90%+ of my models in PLA utilizing the Prusa PEI flex steel plate. I NEVER have to use anything for PLA or PETG to help with bed adhesion or removal (e.g. glue stick). In most videos I've watched of the Bambu they use a glue stick. Is this really needed/required?

You can download the BL slicer for free and take a look at it. It also has support for Voron and Ender 3 built in.

Currently sending your print files to the BL uses their cloud feature which is an intermediary with some benefits such as adding print information to the app so you can use the app to look back, print previous files and control the printer exclusively from the app if desired. It's also a really great way to control the P1P since the screen on that is a bit smaller and less informative. The printers do have a microSD slot for sneaker-netting print files so if you prefer not to use the cloud print features it's not an issue. BL have said that they are working on a wifi feature that will not require their cloud. I am not totally up to date on that development so perhaps someone else here or on the BL forum can comment.

The calibration pattern checks flow rates, retractions, etc. per material. I rarely use it after the first time I load a material and you can deselect its function in the slicer. That said, if you do leave it on printing directly over it is not a problem as I have done many times.

For the bed, they recommend using a release agent on the cool plate specifically. I do not use glue stick but rather hairspray which is super easy and ensures clean removal from the PEI surface. I do not use anything on the engineering side or textured PEI plate. There are also lots of other options out there like the Wham Bam which claim not to need anything applied. These are all tools. Use the one that works best for you. I print lots of prototype and functional parts on the textured PEI without a release agent and when I print something which I want a perfect PLA surface I print on the cool plate. Also set the ironing rate to 21% and get PERFECT top layers

#3352 1 year ago

Here is an example of a massive top layer on my X1C Multicolor print @ 5% infill. It looks like it was printed directly on a smooth plate.

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 9.28.09 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-14 at 9.28.09 AM (resized).png
#3354 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Wow that's pretty impressive. Does it use any type of ironing feature for the top layer to be so smooth?

I change default line with from 0.42 to 0.4 along with the settings below

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 9.50.14 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-01-14 at 9.50.14 AM (resized).png
#3360 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Ironing is a great feature I use in many of my points even though it does add a lot of time. While good for large surfaces, I find it even better for fine details like small text because it conceals gaps in the print lines.

When your running at 250-400mm print speed the time added for ironing is unnoticeable. Now if I was using it on my Vyper then yes, it would not be feasible for giant top surfaces like this.

#3371 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've played around with Babmu Studio some, and it seems to have most of the features I use on a regular basis in Prusa Slicer, but things are in different places and not quite as intuitive. The one thing don't see how to easily do is a color change at a given layer height (this is really simple in Prusa Slicer) and this is something I do on a quite often. The other thing I'm not seeing (not saying it isn't there) is the setting for printing objects one at a time when there are multiple on the bed instead of doing each layer for all objects at the same time. Again, another feature I use regularly.
There is a Bambu X1-C Prusa Slicer profile on Printables, but it is based on an older version of Bambu Studio.

Both BL and Prussia slicer are based on Slic3r and have nearly the same functionality. You can add support blockers and set attributes for specific components all of which I’ve done. You can also change color in several ways including layer height in the paint tool on the far right side of the toolbar. There is a setting for print by layer or by object so you’re good there too. BL is constantly updating and improving their fork as well.

#3386 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I am just starting in Bambu Slicer, so bare with me but is it not in the Paint Bucket, Layers option, then choose Height range? Or is that something diffefent all together.
I would think there would be a way to view layers like what you describe instead of manually painting.

I’m not home to look but it is in the paint tool menu. BL has a wiki that explains the slicer in detail. Here’s the page on multicolor.
https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/software/bambu-studio/multi-color-printing

There are a ton of resources on the BL webs and I’m sure you can get quicker answers there for about all the little details. Any printer and software is going to have advantages and drawbacks compared to another and BL certainly isn’t perfect but they are always improving.

#3394 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thanks, but this does not address my specific need. I'll keep searching.

No good deed goes unpunished https://forum.bambulab.com/c/bambu-lab-software/7

2 weeks later
#3604 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

X1C coming in Saturday. Exciting. Was on the fence between the speed of this one vs a larger build volume like the Kobra Max. But think I need speed first for a while for prototyping stuff. Have a of couple of things at 11inches in length that I'd rather not split, but if I have to I have to. Either way is an upgrade to the Ender 3 V2.

I do a lot of prototyping and the speed which I can get through iterations on my x1c is incredible. I used to have to wait for my old printer and the wait time could be torturous. Great decision.

#3631 1 year ago

Congrats! It is amazing isn't it. I was backer #19 and have been loving mine since July. As you say the size isn't much different, in fact it takes up less space than my Vyper did. It does make sense that is is louder than what we are used to but its also HELLA faster so its going to be. I have mine in my office and it doesn't bother me either.

IMG_1604D (resized).JPGIMG_1604D (resized).JPG
#3635 1 year ago

Yeah, I've considered another AMS as well even though the most I ever do is 2 colors at a time and that's not often. It's great just choosing the color you want in the slicer and you're done.

The support w is water soluble though I've used it and it just pulls right off without water. My roll says PA-CF for the carbon fiber but I will say that Bambu continues to improve and make changes so perhaps the formula/composition is different now.

#3636 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Literally 20 minutes ago here as well. Need to wait till I take it to my office at work. Have no room for a 5th printer here without upsetting the misses

Congrats to you too. You're going to love it.

#3647 1 year ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I see the Bambu comes with a glue stick. Do you have to resort to such trickery to get bed adhesion? All I have had to do with my Prusa is keep the bed clean.

Like all surfaces it depends on what you use. The only thing I use anything on is the cool plate and I spray a light coat of Aqua Net. No glue stick. Most of the time I use the textured PEI and engineering plate, nothing is needed.

#3685 1 year ago
Quoted from rhampo:

I have had my X1C for about 3 months and have had zero maintenance. Literally zero.
One time, the filament broke off in the tubing near the extruder, and it took me a total of 3 minutes to clear it out. Loosen a few screws, manually push a piece of filament in behind the broken piece and run the extruder until it flushed. Then reassemble.
I have been printing almost nonstop since I got it. It prints PLA, PETG and ASA perfectly.
My only complaint is that I wish they would supply a non-stick smooth bedplate. Most of my prints are using the textured PEI plate, but if I want smooth I have to use glue stick on the coldplate or hotplate. I have seen a few 3rd party smooth non-stick plates online but all seem to be out of stock.
Cheers!

I’ve had mine since July and had minimal maintenance consisting of wiping off the carbon rods and light cleaning. I use a light spray of Aqua Net on the smooth PEI side instead of the glue stick. I also just ordered a Wham Bam plate since I really like smooth surfaces for certain parts. That said the Bambu textured plate is incredible in operation and look.

#3706 1 year ago
Quoted from Rnlo:Thanks for this! There are a bunch of free models on there as well, think I’ll start there and see how it goes.
I’ve been messing around with the tree supports, pretty neat looking all on their own.
I’ll have to try out the 2 layers of interface with the support filament that it sounds like you’ve had success with. I’ve shied away from using my support filament since it results in a billion material changes which then greatly increase the waste created and the print time.

I’ve used the support W and PLA as support and both work great though W is a bit cleaner if useng for functional or interfacing parts.

I’m really hoping that the next Bambu Lab machine is an IDEX or greater (3,4) to help speed up multi-color, multi-material models. Not that I print many multi-color models but decreased time and waste for common parts would be fantastic. Also the option to have one slot loaded with support material would be great. I’ll take a 350x350 print surface as well for the off times I need it.

#3714 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Got my bambu P1P. My ONLY complaint I have is that the manual is super small, had to use my phone/zoom to see it. Other than that, pretty straight forward. Install the very sturdy spool holder in back, move Z-axis up a little, remove packaging, install bowden tube, remove 3 screws, connect it to wifi so it can do a firmware update, heat up nozzle, feed filament in, start a job.
I have never seen a printer lay down such a clean and detailed first layer, this thing rivals the $120k Stratasys printer at my previous job. It is seriously game over for any printer above $700. The ease of use is unlike anything I've ever seen.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That Dinosaur puzzle model is butter. Looks like it was injection molded when finished. So incredible clean. Really shows what it’s capable of.

#3759 1 year ago
Quoted from Rnlo:

Quickly running out of the PLA my X1-Carbon came with. Do y’all have favorites for filament brands? Does it even matter? Or should I just buy whatever is cheap from Amazon?

I’ve used quite a few brands but pretty much settled on Polymaker, Polyterra PLA variants. The Bambu slicer also has presets for Plyamaker but most interesting is when you look at the details for these presets and the volumetric flow rates set for PM and the BL filaments. Polymaker is set @ 22 and BL filament 21 where as “generic” PLA is 12. This leads me to believe these are high flow filaments and have always performed spectacularly. At the end of the day most filaments are great anymore will work well so try a few and choose what you like.

#3760 1 year ago

I will also say that I began using Polymaker filament before I bought my Bambu X1. Just happened that they play well with this printer.

#3781 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

FYI: I've printed over a dozen pieces on my Bambu in 3D Solutech Premium PLA clear on the high temp plate, and have had nothing but success. Some where small parts and others were large flat surfaces. I even printed a few pieces on the cool plate before I switch over to the high temp plate and didn't have any issues.
I have not tried the textured plate yet (I do have one).

Does the printer give you an error about having the incorrect sheet installed for PLA when printing on the high temp plate?

#3783 1 year ago

Thanks. When I set mine to engineering plate with PLA material it does not allow me to slice the model but if I choose high temp it does. I believe though they are one and the same. I am an early backer and they have changed the plates and profiles a bit sine I got mine so its labeled differently.

#3787 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, the high temp and engineering plates are two different surfaces. The high temp plate (like the cold) is an adhesive applied sheet on top of the engineering plate. Ignore what it says, you do not use a glue stick on it.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Right. They used to be the same but Bambu made some big changes since the initial launch and added the high temp plate sticker option. The engineering plate used to be for high temp as well. I can take a pic of the plate that came with mine last July and you’ll see the differences.

I just hit 400 hours on my X1

#3818 1 year ago
Quoted from dudah:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1437-performance-pinball/07842-playfield-jacks-
The YouTube algorithm directed this to me, nice little product!
Looks like the black insert is TPU to help protect the art.

Thanks for the kind words. I designed, make and sell them here in my Pinside store "Performance Pinball" and via my website http://www.performancepinball.com/playfield-jacks.html

Just for reference I designed these to enable the playfield to sit perfectly level when raised, keep it from moving side to side and protect the cabinet and art. A lot of thought design time and revisions have gone into these.

#3872 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

That's pretty troubling. Their server being down should not affect local prints. Reminds me of BS like the Juicero. I'd like to hear if this was just a one off or if that's really how it works.

While inconvenient for sure their cloud service is a nice feature with some benefits bit your Juicero correlation comes from a lack of understanding of the product capabilities which have been described here many times before. You can send files via LAN connection or via sd card so no one is trapped into their ecosystem. No need to worry.

#3875 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

That's pretty troubling. Their server being down should not affect local prints. Reminds me of BS like the Juicero. I'd like to hear if this was just a one off or if that's really how it works.

Quoted from Anony:

Maybe I misunderstood toyatoboy's post but he said the prints wouldn't start from the SD card either. To me that means the machine is doing a handshake with the servers before it allows any prints.
Probably just my misunderstanding since if the printer required a connection to work at all people would have mentioned it in reviews.

I print from the sd card all the time lately as my eero mesh network has been acting up. No handshake made. This is well documented. Coincidence I’d say.

#3892 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

So there "may" have been some user error on my part from my inability to fully start print jobs on bambu. Started a print job this morning, errored out again but this time I saw the pop-up "can't home z-axis".. what? Went through troubleshooting, says to loosen screws and make sure bed clears the purge.. Then I realize, I had the texture bed sideways so the tab was hitting the back.

It happens to all of us. Just glad it wasn't the famed "Juicero" issue. LOL

#3941 1 year ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

So after running a ton of stuff through this Bambu X1C, I remain impressed. The speed is outstanding and it seems to eat whatever filament I throw at it. The two things I wish were better are 1) bridging (that I whined about previously ) and 2) top surface finish. The side surfaces are super super nice, better than on my Prusa. But the top surfaces kinda suck. Not sure if I need to slow down for the tops or start ironing? I've read where people don't get great ironing results out of the X1C?
Any suggestions? It's a great workhorse so far, if I could tune in bridging and make some nice top surfaces it would be a super home run.

I’ve had good luck with bridging and seen some amazing results on the X1C with PLA. Though I have the fans mostly off while printing PLA you can use the aux fan to help by placing your model near it if applicable. All stuff you already know I’m sure.

For top surface finish turn on ironing and set *ironing flow* to 21% and you will get amazing results. I use it all the time. I primarily use Polymaker PLA. Here is an image of ironing on a multi-color print at that setting as well as only 5% infill on a 10" wide model so it bridged large gaps in support flawlessly to lay down top surfaces.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 7.53.10 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-02-27 at 7.53.10 PM (resized).png
#3998 1 year ago

Mr_Tantrum Same for me. Would also be great to have the model separated into objects for painting in the Bambu slicer but that's just a bonus. Not sure if it can be exported that way in Blender.

#4004 1 year ago

dpadam450 For sure. I scaled it up 1500% in my slicer with no issues. I've got a Premium coming so I'd just like to print one in relative game size in multi-color for fun.

1 week later
#4057 1 year ago
Quoted from Planet866:

I recently had an issue on my Road Show with the rear diverter drive arm (A-19293). Unfortunately the set screw was seized. So I redesigned it in FreeCad and had it printed in stainless. 3pcs was around $24 + postage, if anybody needs one I have one left. Since there is some shrinkage you will need to drill and tap the set screw hole. This should also work for Johnny Mnemonic
The FreeCad file is a parametric design so if you need to re-use for another game feel free.
Thingiverse link should work in 24 hours.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5908294
[quoted image]

I wonder what kind of stainless steel exactly was used. A powder based additive process will yield strong results but i'm sure you're aware if its stainless steel PLA it actually more brittle that other option like standard PLA, PETG, ABS, ASA CF, etc.

#4059 1 year ago

Mr_Tantrum Thanks for the tip on the BL High Temp sheet. I just received mine and did a test print with my Playfield Jacks with no release additive. They printed perfectly and popped right off the bed.

2 weeks later
#4138 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

Here’s a sample of some I’ve made over the last month or two
[quoted image]

Absolutely epic designs. I'd buy a FF and possibly others from you if you decide to sell them.

3 weeks later
#4238 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Printing my first TPU on Bambu Carbon as I type. Looking good so far. I think I'm going to print a spool holder that wraps around to the side of the printer so I can still sit it up against the back wall and keep the filament bin in place.

I've been printing a lot of Flexible PLA and some TPU for my Playfield Jacks inserts and it does well though I would recommend bumping the retraction if you have stringing issues. I set mine to 1.5. Another thing I found is to be aware of heavy spools and bad filament winds which cause drag and can chew up the filament unnecessarily in the extruder. I am about to print this side spool holder as well.

https://www.printables.com/model/421739-bambu-x1c-side-mount-spool-holder-v2/files

#4240 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

My other thought was to just mount a bearing spool holder on the wall next to the printer so it didn't need to make the turn and I could still use that space. Guess I'll have to weigh my options.
BTW, have you attempted to iron TPU? Just curious how it comes out if it even really works.

I have printed TPU but not tried ironing. I would think that would be terrible considering how poorly it works for gooey 'rigid" filament like PETG.

For my needs and with the PFJ inserts having a very thin dimension I found TPU wasn't the best option. I am sure that if printing something more substantial/thick it would be just fine as the finish looked good enough. I really like the finish and density of flexible PLA though and it seems to work better for functional parts as well.

I do definitely recommend running cleaning filament through the nozzle when done but that goes for any printer. I have even considered getting a P1P just for TPU/Flex PLA so I don't have to bother the X1

#4261 12 months ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

In case anyone missed the email. (I found mine somewhere other than my inbox like promo or some stuff)
Bambu Labs has their own silk pla.
Here's the link to the us store.
https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/pla-silk
r/
Mike

Saw that. Interesting that they've baked in some profile settings into the RFID tag that are beneficial to the material profile making it even more reliable to get quality prints.

1 month later
#4395 10 months ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

What do you guys do with your old Printers if you are upgrading or replacing, throw away, give away, sell or keep it? My Creality CR-10s is showing its age, time for something new.

I had intended to use my Anycubic Vyper to run random parts when I got my X1C but honestly never wanted to go back to it. I asked several friends and was able to give it to a buddy to use it. I just added a P1P to the mix for TPU parts as it didn't make sense to go back to a machine that would take 5X the time to print. He is happy so all good.

#4405 10 months ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I recently got an X1C and i can't get it to print PETG very well.
What settings are you guys/gals using to print PETG?
I'm using the high temp plate ( scuffed with red scotch brite), Generic PEtg setting, I also tried to mimic the Settigns i use on my prusa. No luck.
Thanks,
Bob

While people including myself to some degree have gotten PETG to print well on the X1 it’s really tough which is likely why Bambu doesn’t even sell it. PETG is becoming less relevant with PLA+, ASA and others which have high heat tolerance and aren’t so sticky. I’ve moved on from it. The key is slowing it down. Others may have better, more specific details or profiles to share.

#4412 10 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

What kinds of issues are you guys having with PETG? First layer adhesion issues or warpage or all of the above? I printed some larger PETG stuff as an experiment and saw kinda crazy warpage on long thin parts but had good adhesion to the textured plate.

Similar issues to what Bob posted above. That all said I don't really need to print PETG as there are better alternatives out there. I do have a few rolls of it laying around but not enough to worry about dialing it in further than I already have.

#4426 10 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

I know at least one person was 3d printing protectors for Rush. I can't say how well they work though.

A friend has the NinjaCamp TPU protector and says it works great. I believe they have a pinside shop.

1 week later
#4482 10 months ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Can one of you that's heavy into Bambu X1C confirm this is what I need to buy to replace my "glue before print" plate.
Bambu has its own petg now for anyone that wants to try it.
Thank you.
r/
[quoted image]

Yes, that plate works great. Also the “high temp” plate works great without glue and provides a smooth finish.

#4494 10 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

depends on the print plate, temperature and printing filament - not always needed but for PLA low temp on the issued cold plate = glue stick

Whenever I use the cool plate I spray a light coat of Aqua Net hairspray, never use that crappy glue stick. The glue is actually supposed to be for releasing the print not making it stick.

Another tip to avoid issues on the cool plate is to raise the bed temp in the print profile to 35-40.

Also, BL has a new version of the cool plate coming out which needs no external applications and looks like it works great. I did buy a P1P recently to add to my X1C and it came with their new roll on glue and it’s fantastic.

#4506 10 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok getting dialed in with the Bambu. Slicer is REALLY. SLOW. i'm looking into that; It appears there are a lot of default settings and code to help maximize the number of perfect prints, but it slows down the slicing. I'm not a fan of this "cloud service" bullshit. Glowforge also does this, but the actual "slicing" is done IN the cloud. Bambu just sends it to the cloud, then to your printer, and there is no earthly reason for that. I'm going to be checking network traffic just in case (for you other tinfoil hat cyber guys out there, there are an ENORMOUS number of DNS calls, which is incredibly suspicious).
Default settings: Infill is set to a grid, instead of Gyroid, slicer calculates overhangs for every triangle for example. Manageable stuff, user preference stuff really.
I've had 3 really good, quick prints at .2mm, and they look GOOD, but I went down to a .1mm layer height, so we'll see what the quality looks like. So far, actually really damn good. Still wanting to compare a print with my Prusa. (in terms of speed).
Nice to have 3 printers going simultaneously though!

In the settings you can enable LAN mode and send print’s directly to the printer on your network bypassing the BL cloud. You will lose some helpful features but it’s there as an option if you prefer.

#4514 10 months ago

FYI, for Bambu Lab 1 year anniversary they are having a sale including dropping the price of the P1P by $100. Being a Kickstarter backer I and others was also sent a coupon code for $165 worth of CF filament for $1.97 This company is killing it.

#4516 10 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Wow! $599. I'm betting they saw creality's copy (k1) and decided to price match it to compete. Might be time to buy a third.

Have you seen the K1 reviews? I don’t think Bambu have to worry about that terrible thing. I think they are looking to own the market on their own terms.

#4518 10 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've seen some people post on 3d printing facebook groups. One guy bought the K1 and had to prop the door open to get PLA to print properly. Not saying it's equal, but some buyers don't read reviews they just buy on price. Creality also has 9 years of history so some might see Bambu as "just another chinese startup company" even though if you read their story, they spend 18 months developing the bambu instead of just copying the same design and shoving a printer out of the factory.

I’m going off reviews from well know YouTubers which have shown less that acceptable performance and terrible software. I know that a Creality is a great company with a long history but it doesn’t seem as though the K1 is anything more that a knee jerk reaction to get something out the door that looks similar.

Just read this as well. Apparently Bambu thinks their current X1 and P1P printers aren’t that great (55/100) and have more advanced printers coming. As an owner of both I saw bring it on. https://all3dp.com/4/bambu-lab-p1p-price-drop-first-gen-printers-a-55-100/

#4526 10 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well that kind of sucks; I just paid for this machine a week ago! It did include the camera and LED bar. No coupon code either (maybe that was kickstarter only). I will say I've gone through 3 rolls of filament in a week printing. My Prusa failed halfway through a print again; clogged hot end, and I can not figure out where the block is. Going to remove the (BRAND NEW) hot end and clean it out.

I hear ya. I just added a P1P within the last month. I would email them and ask for a rebate on it. I know they have a 14 day return policy so perhaps they will do that for you.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This is somewhat taken out of context. Bambu themselves rating their current lineup at 55/100 is not reflective of what they think their product's standing is in today's FDM printer market space, but of the potential they see the future of 3D printing holds. In other words, the P1P and Carbon X1 are superb machines by today's standards, but the company sees so much more potential to be had in the future as the technology develops.
This is the same for any technology (computers, TV's, phones, cars, etc.) You can choose to jump in full well knowing that sometime in the future the tech will be better/improved, or you can just sit around and wait your entire life for the final best version to come out, only to sit out the entire time learning that there will always be a next/better version.

For sure. It's also marketing speak ultimately but good to know they see much more innovation on the horizon for the company and its products. Oftentimes it seems that 3D print manufacturers move at a snails pace and this is them saying they will not.

1 month later
#4771 8 months ago
Quoted from koops:

Just for something not pinball related ... my kids had a book week dress up at school for which my son asked me to create something, only two days before
arrrg!
15 mins in tinkercad.
[quoted image]
Color the face in bambu slicer and throw it at the x1. I avoided doing a full multicolor due to the time required.
[quoted image]
This print used the largest amount of area on the bed i've ever used before.
[quoted image]
Super glue together, add a piece of foam in the top for comfort. Done.
Eyes are see thru (from the wearers perspective) by doing 50% infill honeycomb insert boxes with no bottom or top layers.
[quoted image]
Could have never gotten this done so fast on my ender 3, and with the confidence that I can just send it and have a successful print done by morning.
No watching the first layer go down. No checking for lifted edges. Quick and not so dirty. Happy client.
[quoted image]

Very well done. I did something similar for my son years ago out of foam core which worked well but took quite some time. I can only imagine of I had my Bambu printer back then how much it could have helped add to the process. I'm sure your son was extremely proud. Great job!

1 week later
2 weeks later
#4954 7 months ago

I finally got around to doing some filament organizing with a new wire rack and a couple RepRack spool shelves.

IMG_3422 (resized).jpgIMG_3422 (resized).jpg
#4961 7 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

well that was disappointing, uses more desk space for smaller parts, can't do as many materials, more restrictions to settings
what would of been cool is if it could have blended bambu filament to create custom colours - will stick with my X1C

It's clearly aimed at the beginner or perhaps even some print farms whom manufacture widgets and can line up rows of them for low cost. IMO one of these units w/o the new style AMS would be the way to go for most of people otherwise looking at budget printers. I'm happy with my X1 and PIP and fine that there's no new larger printer announced. We can see that BL is innovating like crazy and I'll be once again first in line for the X1 successor when it does arrive.

#4967 7 months ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

That looks good but isn’t the filament going to dry out? Unless of course you go through a ton of filament quickly.

There's thousands of discussions about this and I believe you mean absorb moisture. Drying out is the preference. I live in a low humidity region and mostly print non-hydroscopic materials like PLA, PETG, etc. Those materials which are hydroscopic like carbon fiber nylon are generally kept in bags and also get dried before printing to be sure. I would be more concerned with it for some materials living in a very humid climate.

#4971 7 months ago
Quoted from ThatGuyBo:

Both PLA and PETG are Hygroscopic, Nylon absorbs a higher percentage of water with regards to it's weight but that doesn't tell the full story.
https://pubs.aip.org/aip/acp/article-abstract/2233/1/020024/611159/Reduction-of-hygroscopicity-of-PLA-filament-for-3D?redirectedFrom=fulltext#
As someone who has lived in multiple locations with varying average humidity levels. I can anecdotally confirm that living in the Northeast off the coast, it's far less likely to be an issue than living in areas near the coast such as where I am now or Florida as a whole.

I understand that most any material besides some metals are subject to atmospheric water intake to some degree but that amount of absorption relative to any affects or print issues is irrelevant to me and lots of others when it comes to PLA, PETG, etc. I have printed years old exposed material w/o issue. Others like Joel (see above post and below image) feel the same.

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 3.35.52 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-09-21 at 3.35.52 PM (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevin_lheureux.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=kevin_lheureux and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.