image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hammerhead1550.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#909 2 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

I know Popeye is hated by most here, but I like the game play. I designed and printed the lamp cover for the upper playfield. Playing around with integrating the sticker into the print. I'll have a few of these with me at Pinfest along with lamp baffles and Bally pop bumper bases.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You did a great job, that looks great!

3 weeks later
#941 2 years ago

I have a question for you guys, I'm thinking about getting a 3d printer, but am wondering about the fumes and smell they give off. I know the resin printers are bad, but I'm looking at getting a filament printer. I see some are enclosed and some are open, is one better then the other? Could i use it in the spare bedroom, or would it have to be used in the garage?

I read a lot of reviews talking about the Ender 3, or Voxelab Aquila being good, and of courses prusa Mk3s being top of the line, but I also saw that prusa also makes a mini, Does anybody have any experience with it? Thanks for any help in advance, especially on the smell issue, that is what's making me be hesitant on buying one.

#952 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Hammerhead1550
Both the prusa mini and and the 3s are perfect machines for what you need. A enclosed printer is most of the time better as it has less temperature swings, But is a bit bigger .
I have about 5 printers in 1 room and to be honest the smell is almost none . Also most enclosed printers have a filter to get all the particles out the air. My suggestion is . Start off with let’s say a prusa mini/ender and try the printing. The reason is I say get a prusa/ ender is those do all you need almost right out of the box. If you get a unknow brand or cheap thingy. The adjustment part and bad prints can really get to you to bail on this verry quick.

Quoted from jalpert:

I do know one person who won't own a 3d printer because they think PLA is toxic. Of course, everything is relative. Anything and everything is technically a little bit toxic. When you get a printer, just don't freak out from the smell, most printers smell the first print or even two or three, but that goes away.
I just recommended it, but the Anycubic Vyper is by far the best beginner 3d printer out there. The main thing it does better than any of the Creality stuff like the Ender 3 is that it has auto bed leveling that really works. It sounds so easy, but leveling your bed is by far the biggest pain for people new to 3d printing.
The Prusa MK3 has less features and is $600 more, but you get really good support. The Vyper just works, 4 screws and a few plugs to assemble, real auto bed leveling, and is very reasonably priced. Prusa gets big money for support because nobody else really offers it. If you get a defective part in your Vyper, you will be expected to troubleshoot, they will send you a new part, but you will be expected to know how to install it.

Tha thanks for the replies, the fumes were what was worrying me the most. Thanks for all the gpod suggestions, now I can do a little research and see which one I like best.

#978 2 years ago

Well I took the plunge and bought my first 3d printer, an Anycubic Vyper., thanks to the guys who recommended it to me. My question is what is a good type/brand of filament to use, and where are some good places to buy it? I'm getting a Munsters pin from the current run and I want to print a reinforcement someone uploaded to thingverse that keeps the ball from bending the rail next to the spot opto, so for that I'll need something that will be durable. Someone said PLS+. Anyway I appreciate any help or suggestions, I don't want to waste money on buying bad filament. Thanks guys

#983 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've probably tried a dozen or so different brands of PLA on my Prusa MK3s. Some I love, others I like, and still others are trash. My personal favorite brands based on quality, consistency, ease to work with, and color are as follows:
#1 | Prusament (By far #1 for me. Cheapest if you order in increments of 2 spools at a time due to shipping) | https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/42-prusament?orderby=name&orderway=asc
These you can all get on Amazon
#2 | 3D Solutech
#3 | Gizmo Dorks
#4 | Hatchbox
#5 | Amolen
#6 | eSun
As a point of reference, I'm a hobby printer who also creates and sells 3D mods (mostly pinball, but not exclusively). I currently have about 20 different rolls of filament in my cabinet that I use for various things, I can't guess how many dozens of spools I've gone through over the last several years.
However, my opinion is just that. I'm not providing any objective analysis of what filament is best and why. All I know is that I want something that prints consistently, results in high detailed prints, has good opaque color (unless I'm wanting translucent), is of consistent quality and sizing, etc. Also, if you want "clear" PLA (really a misnomer) I've tried 6 or 7 different brands/kinds. By far the clearest PLS I've found is 3D Solutech's "Premium PLA" (not their standard PLA). Most all clear PLA filament is milky, but this stuff as very clear on the spool and still pretty clear in thin layers.
Also, the common wisdom is that PETG is stronger than PLA. This has been proven to be false in numerous comparison tests. There are multiple factors related to strength including infill, perimeter layers, grain direction related to stress, etc. What PETG does have, however, is a much higher melting point so it is good for objects that will be in hotter use environments before it softens (ABS is even more resistant to heat, and there are even other blends beyond ABS for stronger mechanical parts). PETG also does have more flex. However, depending upon just how much flex you may need a PLA printed with the right infill can give you plenty of flex. Don't get me wrong, PETG still has it's place and is a great material. It is a little harder to work with (primarily nailing down the settings for a good first layer), sticks to the bed a lot more so can be difficult to release, etc.
90-95% of what I print is PLA, 5% PETG, and the occasional ABS part. PLA is by far the easiest material to work with when you are learning, so I'd by a couple of common colors (black, silver, white, whatever) and start learning how to print 3D objects.

Thanks to everyone that responded, and thanks Mr_tantrum, this is exactly what I needed.

#985 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You're welcome, but just remember I'm only one opinion.

I know but you and the others have given me a good place to start. I'll have to do some research on a raspberry pi like jalpert sugessted.

#987 2 years ago

That top hat looks great! Good job!

5 months later
#1712 2 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Finished up my Elvira crypt mod last night, quite the upgrade!
[quoted image]

That looks great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hammerhead1550.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=hammerhead1550 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.