image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorgar007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2319 1 year ago

Has anyone tried printing a shooter lane protector?

4 weeks later
#2388 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I got my Ender 3 S1 Pro set up and attempted a first print. Wow, I can really see why this is still considered a hobby. The manual is non-existent - I literally could not figure out step 1 of the installation and had to go to a YouTube video, nothing is documented, and the youtube videos - even their official unboxing one doesn't match my printer and everyones "unboxing and first print" videos skip a bunch of things.
I believe I have it installed and working correctly though I can't push the supplied filament manually through the nozzle like one video said to do. I auto leveled and figured out how to insert the memory stick and get the example files up on the display (no thanks to the manual) and tried the "rabbit" example. It just pushed a blob of plastic around on the plate.
I am assuming the "thermometer in the water" icon is the bed temperature, (because of course it is not documented anywhere) and it auto-set to 60 (Fahrenheit or Celsius? Who knows) when I selected the rabbit and the bed seemed warm but not blazing hot.
Time to go and hit more Youtube - not impressed so far.
[quoted image][quoted image]

For my Ender 3, leveling the bed was the first major milestone. It printed for shit before leveling and that still doesnt guarantee adhesion. There are bed leveling models on thingiverse that work nicely. Essentially the trick for me was to level all four corners plus the center to where a piece of paper would begin to catch between the nozzle and bed.

Your pics look like an adhesion problem meaning the part failed to stick to the bed. Leveling is step 1, then getting temps right and optionally adding a brim.

The next learning for me was adding a brim to small parts. Sometimes its needed to give your print some extra material to adhere. For the sample rabbit, probably not? The samples usually have a solid base.

Next is just to learn your filament. Each one for me feels slightly different. It should have temp ranges on the spool. Work with those until it starts to both adhere well to the bed and print well.

Ive also read that keeping your room temp steady and maybe warm for a non enclosed printer can make a difference too. Avoid drafts.

Hope that helps Im only a few weeks ahead of you in printing experience.

1 month later
#2527 1 year ago

I have an Ender 3 v2 that I've put about two 1kg spools of filament through while learning to make stuff. Now I am close to ramping up a design so I can sell it, but I'm having dependability issues. My print takes about 10 hours and will often fail at random points in the print. When it fails, it looks like under extrusion - the parts get gaps and/or start to get thin and brittle. I'm not getting adhesion problems and I feel like I've fine tuned the machine to eliminate any points of failure from wobble.

I've replaced nozzles, hot ends and extruder parts but it keeps happening. I'll get maybe one good print after I go through the machine, then a few failed prints. Am I expecting too much from an entry level printer? Does a printer exist that will deliver more reliable and maybe faster prints?

#2529 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

With so many parts replaced, it should be running pretty decently. Which extruder part did you replace it with? My stock extruder had a crack in the housing and replacing it fixed my extruding issue. It used stock settings, but if you got a specialty extruder, might need to adjust the stepper settings. If soley under extrusion is the issue, besides temperature and extruder hardware/settings, the other common issue I've seen is having a gap between the tube and the nozzle head. In that scenario, you should see filament leaking on the block.

Replaced the extruder top end with an all metal creality kit, and the capricorn tubing. Also replaced the hot end with a red creality hot end. I don't think the extruder ever had issues.. I feel like it was the hot end getting clogged every time.

#2531 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

all metal hotends are a good upgrade, but they can be fussy. Yes it's nice that the heat break is better, but you need to change your slicer settings. You want your retraction turned down to 5mm or lower, with the speed turned up high (4,000mm/min). If you don't, you'll get create a bulbus and it'll block your extruding.
ANYTIME someone has under-extruding issues, always go through the system.
Start with the extruder first, does it extrude out?
Now let the filament flow through the bowden tube, are there any areas where the inner diameter shrinks down or gets pinched?
Now check your hotend, make sure there's no blockage. I'll sometimes run a 5/64" drill through both ends.

Retraction was set to 5mm at 60mm/s. Creality slicer was warning me about 60mm/s being too fast, but it's also default so that's odd. I'll play with retraction speed and see how things react.

#2533 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Wondering what filament you are using? And if you have tried changing brands or types? I've found sometimes due to age or other factors nozzle clogging can occur which badically requires a cold pull to clear the gunk. It's kind of telling that the first print works.. And subsequent prints are problematic... Seems like something is clogging.

Mostly Overture from Amazon. Today I was using Hatchbox - I've had problems with both.

I'm starting to wonder if the nature of my print is the problem. It's relatively tall and skinny, so I put 6 of them together for stability. Have been using a brim, but starting to wonder if a thicker raft would help. I did have a successful print overnight but then a bad one this morning.

#2535 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

I've had similar failures due to bad filament/filament that has absorbed moisture and become brittle. It's a long shot but trying a fresh roll or a new brand might help.
If it's tall and skinny printing slower with more cooling can help, or print two on opposite ends of the bed so the printer has to go back and forth and it has some time to cool between layers. Might help posting a picture of the failure too.
Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason though. My brother was printing something to sell and all at once his 5 creality printers started failing in a similar way. He ended up changing to prusa mini's since it's a business and he needed the reliability. No issues since.

Thanks for the tips! I do get most failures with overture silk green so that makes me wonder.

Here is a fail from today. It ran fine then got clogged but seemed to clear itself out. This bad layer or two ruins the print.

Im sure it was clogged because the extruder was covered in green dust.

20220820_163250 (resized).jpg20220820_163250 (resized).jpg
#2541 1 year ago
Quoted from sandro:

I wonder if you couldn’t re-design your part for more reliable 3d-printing? I don’t really know what you’re designing, but that part has a number of features that make it difficult to produce reliably. Maybe you could 3d print masters for molds then resin cast copies?

Just following up. I stopped using silk PLA and the problems are pretty much gone. Also started printing with a raft because the parts are tall and narrow, so a raft helps stabilize them.

From what I'm finding on amazon feedback, there are plenty of complaints around silk PLA. I'm just going to stop using them.

#2545 1 year ago

Sorry for the spam but for those who were helping with my clogging issue, I think I've stumbled on the solution.

A few weeks back, I changed the thickness of my print from 1mm to 1.5mm to give it more strength. This is about when my prints started to fail. The default infill (I think) for Standard Quality prints with the Creality Slicer is 10%. I think changing the thickness somehow caused confusion within the printer as it tried to start infilling. Once I switched to 100% infill, I'm getting nothing but perfect prints.

I don't really understand what's happening, just that it's working nicely. Something to do with how it's treating creating walls and infill in a situation when the walls must be thinner than the default setting of 0.8mm, because the entire part is thinner than 2 walls would be.

#2558 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an online course in fusion 360? I don't mind if I have to pay but want something quality and up to date. I used to watch this guy's stuff but they are outdated now and I'd like to upgrade my skillset. There's one that looks great on skillshare but skillshare seems pretty shady and I don't think I want to sign up for their site.

I started with a Udemy course called Designing for 3D Printing with Fusion 360. I only got through about 1/3 of the course which I think was a good sign - it got me enough skills to just start making stuff myself. One challenge is Fusion 360 seems to get updated semi regularly and something major might change in the user interface - the teacher in this Udemy course at least tries to explain all of this before the course starts.

#2570 1 year ago

If your ender 3 needs a ball bearing spool holder look no further: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5493788

Found one on youtube but it was paywalled, so I designed this one.

1 week later
#2608 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hello I have a 3d printer but not very good at making things. Anyone have any recommendation on how I can hang this sting sword over my lotr? I don’t have much room above the machine so it would need to be at this angle. Thank you so much
[quoted image]

Unless you want to learn the craft of making 3d art, which I think would be learning Blender - then maybe start with an existing Sting like this one:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4682285

Then scale it up, print and paint. At least thats what I would try. Maybe can even print the blade in a metallic material.

Edit: oops misread that you just want to hang it

1 week later
#2631 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

This new Bambu x1 carbon printer is insane.
17 min benchy straight out of the box.
Machine went together and booted flawlessly.
Setup was not too bad and there are a bunch of little parts that came with it that I'll have to find a video on to see what they are for. Some are self explanatory. Almost none were needed to put the printer together.
The benchy is about as good as it gets with zero slicer tweaks.
Oh yeah at 1000 mph.
The bambu slicer will take me a little time I'm sure and it wouldn't link at first to the network when I downloaded it on my laptop. My windows media player needed to be turned on. The bambu troubleshooting lead me there. I wouldn't have had a clue.
It's a tank and very well built.
I was watching it from my phone in another room cause it even has a camera. Ridiculous.
I'm afraid my ender 3 pro is about to become scrap. haha.

Were you a kickstarter?

2 weeks later
#2665 1 year ago

+1 for the ender 3 v2. I'm pushing 2 of them 24/7 (well almost).

Have been tempted to get the Bambulab tho.. because:
1. speed (assuming quality doesn't drop)
2. multi color

Not tempted by any other commercial 3d printers, not a bit.

#2690 1 year ago

Does your plunger suck?

So I'm making these Pindefender protectors and it seems a small percentage of buyers experience plunger issues after installing. Plunger is too weak or seems to rattle around too frequently. The current theory is that since the protector raises the ball up a few millimeters, it also pushes it forward a bit due to the design of Stern's auto-plunger and the manual plunger can no longer make a solid impact. (more instructions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SvL_vl5BUNhT2pGlPR1mio4MoLIepGK8CUXT5bKNJPE/edit?usp=sharing)

So I printed up these plunger pucks - just a 9mmx3mm disc. 100% infill. They install into the shooter rubber tip, making the shooter a little longer without any major surgery.

My Avengers IQ has plunger issues with or without a protector. I can't full plunge more than 20% of the time. Using this plunger puck it's almost 100% as long as I get a smooth plunge. I haven't tracked this, but is this pretty common in new games?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5564053

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

1 month later
#3043 1 year ago

For ender 3 owners, is there an extruder or hotend upgrade that will reduce clogs? I am changing filament once every few days and can't seem to get away from clogs. It's not usually a full clog, just a partial clog and I need to remove the tip and snake out the hot end.

#3048 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's most likely not your hotend at all, but the teflon Bowden tube that goes into it. If that's not EXACTLY flat, and jammed all the way down flush to the bottom of the heating block, you'll get clogs like that. Might be worth checking before you spring for another hotend - I doubt that's the culprit. There's tutorials on how to change out the tube; basically you just need to review the 2nd half about reinserting.

Thanks. I do use the tubing cutter but will review.

4 weeks later
#3302 1 year ago

I've went through probably 50 spools of PLA. Most brands are just fine (Hatchbox, Overture, Sunlu).. but today I received my third spool of Proto-pasta that just won't print. It clogs up the nozzle almost immediately. I've changed out nozzles, this stuff is just really spotty. Too bad cause its beautiful when it prints right.

1 week later
#3448 1 year ago

Just experimenting with X1C. This is hatchbox metallic silver, plain black, proto pasta blood of my enemies (red eyes), overture glow in the dark teeth.

20230119_104432 (resized).jpg20230119_104432 (resized).jpg

#3452 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

How long to print?

12 hours and I think most of that was due to color changes.

#3456 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s pretty remarkable. The later lines are hard to see unless you really zoom in. I wonder if you hit that with some automobile primer if the lines would just disappear ? What layer height did you use ?

All defaults so far, looks to be 0.2mm layer height. I did notice tonight that the red eyes bled into those layers of silver. It's slight, but that entire section has a red tint, even though it used a purge tower. I don't notice that with the other colors, only red.

#3459 1 year ago

I think this has been asked before but can someone remind me what apps to use to make sculpted models? I'm needing to get into sculpting and I'm not seeing that fusion360 can do that.

#3506 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Is getting into 3d printing (a hobby unto itself) difficult. Is it difficult to learn? How much is a decent set-up? Thanks

I picked up on it with a few videos and was able to run with it from there. Can start by making super simple things like washers and your creativity will take you further. There are some more advanced things that you'll have to go back and learn but all in all, pretty straight forward. A starter setup like the Ender 3 is $250 retail but often on sale for less.

#3509 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Off topic a little but bambu makes perfect supports as well. They are as nice as the print.
Slice and print. Adjusted nothing but selected "support" for this 7 port usb holder I found on thingiverse. I ripped the one end on the support before I took the pic but it was mint.
It even printed extra brim for mr tantrum cause he loves it so much.
No post processing and easy support removal. Bambu x1c is ridiculous.
Slice and print.

I'm pretty happy with the supports too. With my ender 3 I didn't like using supports because it left marks on the piece, but x1c is supporting with less surface area it seems so they remove easily and don't leave marks.

#3539 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Prototype so I didn't spend time to perfect and layer primer coats.
[quoted image]

Did you sculpt him too?

#3547 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey makers, anyone in here have a laser? I have been eyeballing an X1 pro for a while and I think it’s time! Want to make my own acrylic parts

I can't really speak for the X1. It looks interesting, but I've tried a diode laser before and it was super underwhelming. This one may be better, but it's hard to say without trying it.

My experience has been with co2 lasers. I've used a 30w for years and it cut through acrylic in one pass, no issues. If I picked up another laser it would be the omtech 40w with a few upgrades.

The X1 doesn't have an enclosure (if I'm looking at the right model) so just be careful with what you cut. Acrylic is 'safe' but I still wouldn't want to breathe those fumes. Some materials will emit chemical warfare if you laser them, like PVC.

Something I wish I knew when I started - the work space on consumer grade lasers is pretty small. If the X1 has a 17x15 that's actually pretty big compared to co2 lasers. Some projects you might download and try to make, take a lot of space. If you buy plans from etsy for example, you may need to rearrange them and cut several sheets which can take a lot of extra effort and time. If you're just cutting small parts that you design, you might be happy with it.

1 month later
#4092 1 year ago

If any of you reading this is experienced with injection molded parts and willing to give some advice, pm me? Thanks

8 months later
#5533 4 months ago

Drafts are known to affect print quality so I'm happy to have the x1c enclosure. Have had much success with mine.. 2 years in and haven't had one clog.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorgar007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=gorgar007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.