image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1946 2 years ago

I don't think the designer has posted it on here, but this stand up target stabilizer is a great little design. It's worked perfectly for my Deadpool 'SNIKT" target to keep it where it is supposed to be.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3022038

Remix for anti-lean targets
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5157940

Before:
A3ADD22A-F415-4CCA-8E4D-924B1A587DD2 (resized).jpegA3ADD22A-F415-4CCA-8E4D-924B1A587DD2 (resized).jpeg
After:

19E46013-2626-4F85-AC79-9F2639587A62 (resized).jpeg19E46013-2626-4F85-AC79-9F2639587A62 (resized).jpeg2B4C5C46-66AF-48BF-AC07-32CB4FC0DF9B (resized).jpeg2B4C5C46-66AF-48BF-AC07-32CB4FC0DF9B (resized).jpeg

#1948 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I don't think the designer has posted it on here, but this stand up target stabilizer is a great little design. It's worked perfectly for my Deadpool 'SNIKT" target to keep it where it is supposed to be.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3022038
Remix for anti-lean targets
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5157940
Before:
[quoted image]
After:
[quoted image][quoted image]

#1949 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Not to knit pick, but I think those are standup target stabilizers.

My brain can’t use words on my days off

Fixed my post

#1952 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The new anycubic printer looks nice. I would like to see how the direct drive does for stringing on certain parts that I have trouble with on my Ender 5 pro.
https://www.anycubic.com/products/kobra

I’m using the anycubic vyper. It’s been great for me.

#1958 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I used the exact same model on my DP and the damn SNIKT target went back to the leaning-target-of-pizza... Although strangely enough, I seem to have gotten a decent feel on how to hit it, so I REALLY don't want to touch it now.

I’ll have to see how it goes. It was way out of wack before I started

1 week later
#2029 1 year ago
Quoted from Jigs:

I'm not finding a mini prusa available right now. I'm looking at the Anycubic Vipers. I ultimately want to play and explore.
Thanks for the responses, they are very helpful.

I picked up a Vyper as my introduction into FDM. I've been very happy with it. The learning curve is very shallow and you are up and successfully printing in no time.

#2041 1 year ago
Quoted from Jigs:

I didn't need a big print bed, so I went with a Kobra... should I have stuck with a Vyper?

*Edit I had it wrong. The Kobra max build plate dimensions are larger than the Vyper. The Kobra is only slightly smaller than the Vyper*

Vyper - 245 x 245 x 260 mm
Kobra - 222 x 222 x 252 mm
Kobra Max- 400 x 400 x 450 mm

#2045 1 year ago
Quoted from Jigs:

The Kobra I ordered is 220x220x250mm
The Kobra Max says it's 45 x 40 x 40 cm

You are completely right! I was confused. Thank you for the correction. I'll edit my original post

#2046 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

How is the PEI sheet working? I am tired of waisting time with rafts. Everything else U have tried lifts up on me. Thanks

The PEI build plate on the Vyper has been great for PLA. I can print most things without a brim or raft.

It didn't help on my last attempt at ABS where it still curled on a long narrow section I tried to print.

1 week later
#2114 1 year ago

Not sure if this was posted in here, but the handle for the playfield on AIQ is a nice quick print.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4774832

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2115 1 year ago

On a side note, it there anyway we could get some key posts marked in here so it is easier to find the prints others have made available in this thread easier to find?

#2119 1 year ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new to modern Stern and AIQ...Do you have any pictures of this installed?

Sorry, I didn't snap any pictures when I did it. Here is a picture of the stock metal one on a TMNT (stolen from the Mezel Mods install guide for their character select RGB ramp lights)

1 week later
#2188 1 year ago

I remixed one of the speaker spacers on thingiverse to make a left speaker mounting bracket for Stern Spike 2 home pins. Made it for Jurassic Park, but should work for Star Wars too.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5385687
IMG_3586 (resized).JPGIMG_3586 (resized).JPG

#2193 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what software is easiest to learn to do your 3d images for creating things?

I used Autodesk Fusion 360. It's free for home use, and is a full featured CAD solution. There are a million tutorials out there for it, and it is very powerful.

If you have never modeled anything before, it is worth watching some tutorials to understand some basics to make your life easier and to make better models. Understanding things like constraints, extrusions, revolving a profile, patterns, etc. can make life a lot easier.

Lastly when you design a model, remember to keep your tolerances as loose as you can to have the part still work as intended. It's annoying to print a part and have to sand it down or do a lot of post processing to have it interface properly with whatever it is supposed to fit onto. Regardless of your print settings there is always a little bit of error in the path of the hot end, so it is never perfect.

#2207 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I just bought the last one of these from Pinball Resource. Doesn't look like it would be difficult to 3D print it.
It's used on woodrail pins; mostly 1954 models with the "double award" feature.
[quoted image]

That would be pretty easy to model with some basic dimensions. It wouldn't be as nice and smooth unless it was done with resin though

#2212 1 year ago

Has anyone modeled a shim for stern stand up targets to prevent air balls? I’m getting a ton off the sanctum target on AIQ

#2214 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

edit - I thought you were looking for the supports to prevent target leaning.

I remember someone having a small wedge like spacer under the standup to angle it forward. I'll model my own, but thought I remembered someone having one

#2229 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I remember someone having a small wedge like spacer under the standup to angle it forward. I'll model my own, but thought I remembered someone having one

I finally found what I was thinking of, and it is something someone is selling in here. I'll have to just make them myself.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1377-hippies-haven/05733-anti-airball-target-bracket-wedge

#2231 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

are those actually effective? Seems like something at the top of the target from allowing it to move back, would be more effective on not making it a ramp when the ball hits.

I think all the different products try to lean the target forward to keep the angle of incidence in plane when struck. Where most of the targets fail is that the backing support gets deformed and the foam compressed so it allows the target to point away from the playfield as it is displaced, angling the ball up and away from the surface of the playfield.

It's probably just as effective to bend the target backing forward every now and again.

2 weeks later
#2265 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

can anyone recommend a user friendly 3D design platform for a beginner? Specifically, if I want to draw up something and 3d print it, what would be the best way to go about doing it for a novice? thanks in advance.

That question gets asked a lot. The most user friendly free option is probably tinkercad, but it's not very powerful.

I would suggest watching some youtube how-to videos to get some fundamental understanding and see if the process is for you. Learning some 3d design fundamentals goes a long way to being successful in creating something to be printed.

4 weeks later
#2357 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I catch the led light of the mode. Which in attract modes just flickers, while in game it is off untill the mode is played. Then it is lit solid. I only want it to activate if it is lit solid. Also looked at another light that would not be on in attract mode but there is none, all lights are on. So cannot do an if this and this then that statement.
So I would like it not to trigger it while flickering and only trigger it while lit solid for e.g. 1 or 2 seconds delay but that would be the variable to tweak for me.

You could tie a simple potentiometer input into the arduino to allow you to "dial" in your delay value until you get the desired behavior.

1 week later
#2385 1 year ago

I’m currently waiting on Anycubic to send me a new filament sensor for my Vyper. It died mid print on me.

2 weeks later
#2398 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

A couple more mods. Another wonderful paint job on Bag End by my daughter.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your daughter does some nice work!

I threw together some of the grav charge flasher covers for my mando this week.
9B6E190F-2956-42FB-BD9B-88E9CCB3C214 (resized).jpeg9B6E190F-2956-42FB-BD9B-88E9CCB3C214 (resized).jpeg
7FDB1653-113C-47E7-B1A6-DBD5B921026C (resized).jpeg7FDB1653-113C-47E7-B1A6-DBD5B921026C (resized).jpeg
2F786535-DA4B-4C04-B8A9-7CEA2CCBD8DC (resized).jpeg2F786535-DA4B-4C04-B8A9-7CEA2CCBD8DC (resized).jpeg
A6AF205A-5086-40AA-BBD0-922574452A61 (resized).jpegA6AF205A-5086-40AA-BBD0-922574452A61 (resized).jpeg

7E34E704-A4D5-4AF6-9FB6-AA6586BEF8EE (resized).jpeg7E34E704-A4D5-4AF6-9FB6-AA6586BEF8EE (resized).jpeg

Compared to what's in the show:

#2402 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Those are likely the same ones that are on thingiverse. I made of bunch of them for my and friends games as well. They do fit though they need to be sanded out a small amount in the center as they are a bit snug initially.

That’s what I found. Likely the modeler set too tight a tolerance. I had to bore them out a little but now they have a nice snug interference fit so no fasteners needed.

1 week later
#2452 1 year ago
Quoted from Zzap:

Here's a few of the parameters of eSun PLA+ to give you an idea of how the properties of 3d filament can be measured.
Density(g/cm3) 1.23
Heat Distortion Temp(℃,0.45MPa) 53
Melt Flow Index(g/10min) 5(190℃/2.16kg)
Tensile Strength(MPa) 63
Elongation at Break(%) 20
Flexural Strength(MPa) 74
Flexural Modulus(MPa) 1973
IZOD Impact Strength(kJ/㎡) 9

Those are great starting points to understand the material and are needed if you are going to try to do a finite element analysis of your model. If you are looking for values in lb/in^2 (psi) , 1 mega pascal (MPa) is roughly 145 psi.

Your part is also going to be greatly influenced by the geometry, such as if you are creating stress concentrations that will create failure points. What are the loading conditions of the part? Is it under tension, compression, is there a torque or bending moment being applied? Will the part move? How is it supported? These are all important in determining how strong your part is and weather it will fail.

How your print is printed, such as line height, nozzle temp and size, in fill pattern and percentage of fill, etc will have an impact on the final part strength.

If you want to know more about material properties and how they are tested, Wikipedia has some good entries that cover some of what you would learn in a 100 level strength of materials class in engineering school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexural_strength

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izod_impact_strength_test

#2458 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm not sure how you translate those numbers into something more meaningful in real world applications. Just a WAG, but I assume these are standardized tests. But maybe you can use the numbers to at least compare between filaments.

These are indeed standardized tests. It was actually one of the more fun classes you take as an ME, since there is actually a hands on component. If you are interested in how material properties are tested, check out this video.

#2460 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

I don't know why.. I just couldn't get vader out of my head...
[quoted image]

I feel a little too nerdy with how much I enjoyed that

2 weeks later
#2544 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

Would it be possible to create an index with parts people are willing to share? I think it would be fantastic.

I think you need a mod to mark key posts

#2549 1 year ago

Just added some dummy drop target banks on thingiverse for playfields being used all wall art to help fill the empty holes.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5487586

C773BB54-D57C-423C-AFE8-66E26594BCCD (resized).jpegC773BB54-D57C-423C-AFE8-66E26594BCCD (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#2840 1 year ago

I built a helper post for Star Wars for that hungry left outlane.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5625687

Screenshot 2022-11-12 155626 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-11-12 155626 (resized).jpg
#2842 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Streamed building a set of diy “Pinstadium X-Stream” lights last night. Highlights a technique you can use to connect a multi-part 3d print as well.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1651198495?t=416s

Nice. The welding of parts together with some filament and a soldering iron is a novel approach. Thank you for sharing!

#2847 1 year ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

Really cool. Can you show this installed? I have a Pro and I am a bit confused on where it goes other then near the left outlane.

It’s for the left outlane. I had issues where it would drain when auto plunging. This helps stop that, and makes the left outlane the same size as the right.

4F87D4AC-0010-44D8-8884-C261D8E5E767 (resized).png4F87D4AC-0010-44D8-8884-C261D8E5E767 (resized).png6504F856-E96C-46B7-AC20-9ED99666488A (resized).jpeg6504F856-E96C-46B7-AC20-9ED99666488A (resized).jpeg
#2850 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

That's really cool. Some might complain about modifying the game difficulty, but hey it's your game, and anyway, who can complain about adding an R2D2 to the playfield. I guess the basic idea behind this mod is not unusual for owners of the game anyway.
I guess the rubber ring takes most of the heat when the ball hits it, but still I'm curious if you have an expectation about longevity for the part, and what material you printed it with. Also, what size ring are you putting on it? FWIW, would be nice if you added details like that to the Thingiverse page.

There are already some similar post versions for this game on thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4857256) to address what many other would consider a geometry problem with the game, i.e. auto plunger throws the ball directly into the right outlane and drains. It’s for use in a home environment so I’m not worried about the change in difficulty. It’s printed with eSun PLA+ With a 0.1 line height and 100% infill but someone could just as easily print print it with ABS or high strength resin if they so choose. I haven’t bothered to do an SN calculation or an FEA on such a small part to find out the cycles to failure. In a home environment it should last for years of normal use since it’s not really in a spot that takes a beating.

Added 17 months ago:

I forgot to add there is a 5/16" ring on there. I used silicone because that's what I had laying around.

Added 17 months ago:

I also meant to say it plunges into the left outlane.

3 weeks later
#3041 1 year ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

My friend printed this from Thingiverse. Can this be modified to make it a little taller? That’s not the original switch or wire lugs so it’s really too tight the way it is. It pinches the wires.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just out of curiosity, have you considered soldering directly to the switch terminals rather than using those crimp connectors? That’ll give you all the clearance you need.

1 month later
#3384 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It looks like there is a 3D model in the VPX game - this should be able to be exported and converted to an .STL for printing

I think some may have tried to export those before, but they are usually too low res to work well. Textures help with a lot of the visuals on VPX tables.

3 weeks later
#3686 1 year ago

I made a couple of super quick prints for Rush. I hate looking at the bare bayonet sockets, or the color bands on the LED bulbs. These print quick and are just an interference fit over the bulbs.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5851327

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png Added 14 months ago:

I edited the thingiverse post to add a base from inspired by @Xdetroit. Looks great printed in gold silk PLA.

#3688 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

The link on thingiverse doesn't work. Could you please re-upload.
Thanks!

Probably would have helped if I published it and didn't just save it

1 week later
#3893 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Do Work son! Love my new sign, wiring was a PIA but it was worth it to get the led order right. Note: it’s in the middle of an animation sequence, thus the colors
[quoted image]

I keep reading that font as “Do Wonk”

5 months later
#4661 8 months ago

Any Bond Pro owners in here? I'm a little stuck trying to think of a good way to mount this die cast Dragon tank in the same spot as on the premium, while keeping the whole thing non destructive. Anyone have any ideas? There is a central screw post, but I don't have a good way of securing it . I tried to model up a custom base that would snap on to the plastic, but that didn't really work well.

ebay.com link: itm

#4663 8 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Drill a hole in the side facing away from the player, 3d print a bracket (or find a metal L-bracket from the hardware store) and screw it in. Not a lot of ways to be non-destructive to the toy itself unless you're gonna like epoxy a flat bracket underneath.[quoted image]

I wonder if a better approach would be to print a replacement for the plastic itself. That would allow me to reorient the LED for that target to make the ‘mouth’ of the tank blink, and I can secure it using the threaded stud on the bottom of the model and using the existing mounting points for the plastic.

Makes me wish I had a laser cutter so I could do it out of acrylic rather than FDM.

IMG_4703 (resized).jpegIMG_4703 (resized).jpeg
#4668 8 months ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

There are a couple of options on the Bond thread but you just have to open the tank up and drill a hole for the screw. I added a light inside the mouth of mine. It's easy.

I'll check that out. Thanks!

4 months later
#5545 4 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

you guys know that there are communities dedicated to 3d printers?? 95% of the discussion here has nothing to do with pinball. I thought this thread was about 3DP applications to pinball. which 3d printer is best or should I buy this printer is a really generic question that doesn't have much to do with pinball? (example of related appropriate question: "What material that I can print on my __ would be best for printing things that get bashed by a pinball")
I just get excited when I see 100 new posts here thinking "oh maybe there's something cool discussion happening related to pinball or some new design". Nope.

I think the thread started that way and slowly morphed into what it is today where there is a lot of discussion about printers and set up for how best to make what we want. I still post links in here when I make a shareable design for pinball, or even happen upon a good one that is freely available. It was a bit of a Bambu love fest for a bit there, but it seems to be back to shop talk again.

If you do have a question, ask it here. The thread is usually pretty helpful answering anything from pro to newbie questions

1 week later
#5660 4 months ago
Quoted from JakePG:

If anybody has any pictures of their 3d printed toppers on their machines, would you mind posting some (if allowed in this thread)?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.