image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

anyone have a flipper bat file?

Can you print a flipper bat that would withstand the abuse? Seems like even nylon would break at the layer seams.

10 months later
#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Hello guys, does anyone have STL files for 3D printing B/W opto housing or austin powers toilet seat? Pics for reference! Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

I made a quick and dirty seat from the picture. I have no idea of scale or thickness, but you should be able to adjust it in your slicer. PM me and I'll send it to you to try. I assume you'll want to print it in nylon for durability. It gets a lot of abuse.

6 months later
#184 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you want more fine detail, you want to print 'toys' or things that need to have more visual clarity if they're looked at up close, resin is the way to go. But it's messy and more work to print and process things. There are strong smells and chemicals, you need to wash and cure stuff, it's more involved.

And for resin printers/washers, ventilation is required. The chemical smells must be ventilated or they will damage you over time.

I'd recommend a prusa mini for a starter instead of a ender3. Yes, it's literally double the price ($380 vs $190), but the number of improvements over the ender3 are substantial and a better starting point for the 3d printing experience.

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Have you used the Mini? I'm curious about it, but I don't have any experience with it as far what the real tradeoffs are vs the Mk3. $380 is definitely a reasonable price, the Ender was $300 not long ago, and people were putting enough mods to get it tuned in after that to raise the price quite a bit.

I pooh-poohed it initially (how could it be as good as the MK3/3S/3S+?), but decided to get one to check it out. It's very nice. It has features I wish the MK3S+ had, like the color screen with images of what you're printing and more stats at print time, USB instead of SD card storage, and wifi printing (yet to be enabled in firmware). It seems to print at about 95% or better the quality of the MK3S+. It's not *quite* as good, but unless you have one of each to do a print on both, you're not going to notice the difference.

The two main things I don't like are the spool handling and the external power brick. That said, I would have no problem recommending it - it's easily the best value in its price class. Getting an Ender3 and modding the crap out of it makes no sense to me because in the end you still just have a nice Ender3. Way back, I sold my Ender3 rather than go that route. The Prusa mini is next level for the entry level class. I actually bought another one after trying the first. I'm up to 6 printers and 8 extruders (2 of the printers are dual extruder) now with this addition, and some weeks I'm still maxed out on throughput.

2 weeks later
#222 3 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I'm restoring a 1963 Gottlieb Flying Chariots which has seen a lot of neglect. The original plastic score reel guides are brittle and have fallen to pieces. I designed new score reel guide channels to replace the original. I removed the rivets holding in the original plastic guides and have mounted the new ones with 2mm machine screws.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4699213
[quoted image][quoted image]

Are you using PETG, ABS, or Nylon?

#224 3 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

PLA, I use it for pretty much all my prints.

Will that be durable enough?

#233 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I am thinking of jumping into making some 3D mods and am a bit intimidated. Don’t want to buy any software, but see just how hard it really is first. If I cross the software chasm, I will pickup a 3D printer, but I want to learn some EASY software first.
Any recommendation on software to give this a go?

Tinkercad is dead simple and free. Start there. Blender is much more powerful, but more difficult. That's the next step.

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Everyone wants a Prusa including me but they are very expensive and if you lose interest or figure it's not for you, you're out over $1000.
I'll eventually get a prusa if I continue to find use but reality is my Ender 3 Pro is doing everything I need it to do right now.

This is not true now that the Prusa Mini+ is available (https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-mini/) for only $349. Among my 3D printers, I have multiples of both the mini and the i3MK3S+ and the mini is very very good for $379 for the kit (get the optional $30 filament sensor). I've had enders, too, but I'd much rather have a Prusa mini stock than a modded out Ender 3 to overcome its weaknesses because a stock Prusa mini is a really nice printer with great bells and whistles for a cheap price (and that goes for the chinese cheap knockoffs that have thermal runaway issues, not interested in burning my house down because I left a print unattended). The mini kit is only a few parts and about 20 minutes - barely even a kit and nothing like the hours-long assembly if an i3MK3S+.

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

do you, or anyone else here for that matter, have any experience with the MMU2s?

I have one sitting in the box that I intend to get set up, but having some place to put the printer with up to 5 filament spools behind it is the problem. I don't have the space. I may have to go vertical.

#276 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And I got my MK3 a few months ago for $700 shipped. As I think I stated earlier, it was worth every penny. I dicked around with an Ender3 for almost a year, and barely got it to print anything. Modded the hell out of it. Complete waste of time. Wasted 5-6 rolls of filament and countless hours re-levelling it. My time is worth way more than a couple hundred bucks. Will never go back.

Pretty much my feeling after moving from an Ender 3 to the MK3 a couple years ago. I didn't have problems printing with the Ender 3, but it was just such a hassle to use and SO LOUD. Now that the mini gives most of the MK3S+ features and performance for half the price (all you're missing is about 20% of the build area and some niceties with the power supply and filament handling) there's really no excuse to hassle with an Ender 3 and mod it out if you're buying a printer right now. I also have a couple $3500 Raise3D E2s I now use mostly for PETG to manage the air pollution that material puts off while printing and I constantly complain (mostly to myself, no one's listening) about features it's missing that the Prusa MK3S has.

PRUSA makes nice printers, for sure.

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Just got a Prusa MK3s+ kit assembled. Working perfectly out of the gate. Been running constantly since Xmas day. Glad I waited the extra six months to save up and skip the hassle of cheaper printers. I'm sure the final results are comparable but I love how easy this thing is to use.
Printed up PETG cup holders for my games.
[quoted image]

If you're running a lot of PETG on a non-enclosed PRUSA, for your lungs' sake you want to at least have some kind of HEPA filtration near the printer to try to minimize the dust/gas that's thrown off when the filament is heated up if you're running it indoors. It's a LOT more than you realize. It's completely coated the inside of my E2 printers over time with a white haze, which is why I only run PLA on the PRUSAs. PETG is automatically in the enclosed printers with built in filtration.

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I think a lot of people don't realize how harmful these plastics can be. ABS does the same. I've read of people getting sick and having to go to the hospital from breathing too many fumes.

It's pretty deceptive because it doesn't really smell that bad (well, ABS does, but...) and you don't SEE a cloud or anything, but on the PETG it is really surprising how much chemical haze builds up on the viewing window and sides of the enclosure. I only do PETG now in the enclosed units and I have a HEPA filter running by the other side of the room where the PRUSAs are that only run PLA. Ideally I'd like to have all of it enclosed with ventilation to the outside, but this will have to do for now.

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Everything I’ve read stated that ABS fumes are toxic, but PETG is in the ballpark of PLA.
I hadn’t thought about dust much, though. Read around and it felt like there wasn’t a ton of good data, one way or another. Good call on getting an enclosure to be on the safe side.

ABS is hands-down bad. I think PETG is in the ballpark of PLA in smell (not much smell), but in airborne micro particles, I think it's worse than PLA. The haze if I print PLA in the enclosed units is pretty much nonexistent, but a print of PETG of just 4-6 hours and it's all over the inside of the enclosure. That visual is what locked me in to deciding PETG was only for the two enclosed units with HEPA filtration, and getting a better HEPA room air filter even for the PLA units.

2 weeks later
#325 3 years ago

If anyone is eyeballing a PRUSA i3MK3s+, the MK4 is coming this year, so might want to hold off if you don't need it right away. It will almost certainly be more than the MK3S+ kit, so probably looking at $849/$899 for a kit.

#328 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

$849 for a KIT?! Or do you mean MK3 + kit?
Man, after seeing Swinks’ snackbar post, I am seriously considering just having all my R2 parts printed at Shapeways. That’s crazy precise

Yeah, it's a kit. The current MK3S+ kit is $749, factory assembled is $999. I'm assuming the MK4 kit will be in the $849 range for the kit and $1099 assembled.

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh gotcha - I thought you meant an upgrade kit FROM the MK3. That would be a bit much.

Ah, I see now. No, the MK4 will be a pretty substantial upgrade from the MK3, so they *might* offer a kit, but I would think that it will probably be a new line. Having used the mini for a while now, I'm looking forward to a larger color screen instead of the one the MK3s have now. Dual extruder would be great, but that might be asking too much.

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

i would only buy dual extruder if they pivot the head. i owned a flashforge dual extruder, and the 2nd one always caused issues because getting them both perfectly level is impossible.
ideally what you want is a tool changer so you should never have to worry so long as the holder is accurate

Raise3D E2 manages the dual extruders fine. Granted, it's $3500, and that machine has a lot of problems, but dual extruders that work for duplication is the reason I now have two of them even though I have a love-hate relationship with other aspects of the machine and company.

If anyone can get dual extruders done well for the masses, it's PRUSA.

1 week later
#349 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Hi,
I could use some help and direction. I printed a base plate say roughly 3"x5" with small see through slots (for led light to shine through) that lined up with some text that will be glued on above it. The text / lettering was printed both out of clear resin and a milky white resin. The reason I printed the text out of both colors (clear/white) resin was to see which of these would better illuminate the text.
OK - so it was a complete failure - it did not illuminate worth crap.
Can someone suggest materials that nicely illuminate laying flat on top of base plate.
See pictures below of what I was attemping to do.
Do certain PLA's, Resins, etc work better?
Thanks for the help - direction![quoted image][quoted image]

Rather than lighting from the back through slots, I would make a horizontal channel for the LED strip that runs along the bottom of the letters with the LEDs pointing toward the top of the letters so you don't lose any of the light through slots. It should make an even light, and the leds source will not be visible.

#351 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I thought about this but then channel has to be hidden below the letters. And with this being cursive writing the channel would be visible in between the cursive writing.
Any other ideas welcome? It would be nice to print 2 or 3 colors and the lettering could be it’s own channel.

Not necessarily. Why not make a base for the letters to rest on that is also clear? The up-shooting LEDs should illuminate all the clear and the base would be hidden behind the part it snaps into.

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

What type of printer do you recommend for this, Resin seems better than PLA but both I may have problems snapping parts together. Do I need to go to a more accurate printing service?

Yeah, seems like consumer resin or an external service with way better printers like Shapeways.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.