image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 3 years ago

Quick tool I designed in Fusion360 because my toolbox did not have the proper size to "unscrew" the holder of the pinball buttons on each side:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4678068

Pinball button tool (resized).jpgPinball button tool (resized).jpg
1 week later
#188 3 years ago

Before I start reinveinting the wheel, anyone has designed a WPC speaker adapter to use identical speaker replacements on both sides of the DMD (I'm thinking of upgrading my CFTBL) ?

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

How does CFTBL mount? I just did these over the weekend for my NGG. Haven't installed them yet but the sizing looks good.
[quoted image]

CFTBL is a pre-DCS Williams, so it has two different speakers, one 5" midrange on the left, and one 3" tweeter on the right. Most replacement speakers for pinball machines are 5" in size and provide an adapter plate to reuse the existing mounting holes for the right speaker. That's what I'm trying to find here. Although I'll probably end up redesigning one if I can't find it.

Led strips would be more difficult to add, because the right hole for units with a wooden speaker panel is smaller in size. It's hidden behind the grill, but it's there nonetheless, and of course would require a smaller led ring compared to the left one.

Alternative is to widen the opening

More details here:
http://dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html
and here
http://dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_wooden_display_panel.html

2 weeks later
#230 3 years ago

Anyone would have a 3d model for an mta-156 and mta-100 crimping tool?

There's one in thingiverde, but it requires a vise, not really practical in most case.

Thanks

#289 3 years ago

Here's what I use for filtering :
https://www.alveo3d.com/en/homepage/

(I'm not associated to them in any way)

They have both a add-on kit or a complete enclosure (on pre-order). Unfortunately the enclosure does not accommodate my CR10S

3 weeks later
#336 3 years ago

Good morning,

Anyone has a pointer to how to remix an existing STL ? I'm trying to mod a Tron lightcycle STL to "hollow" it at key locations, but I must admit Meshmixer is not the easiest in that respect.

PM me if you have some skills in that respect, goal is to build an alternative (and more fancy) Tron Lightcycle mod, open source, I can work on the HW/SW side of things (switch detection and triggers), would "just" need the 3D model.

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

If you search "Tron" on Tinkercad, there are a few lightcycle models available (not sure if any meet your needs or not).[quoted image]

Thank you, unfortunately unless I'm mistaken these are still STL files. I can import an STL in Fusion360 (which is the tool I use), but the result is hard to modify (well, to me at least).

I'm not an expert on Meshmixer, and from what I can see it can perform boolean operations, but it has no creation tool that I could find, so I need to create the object in Fusion, export it to STL, import it to Meshmixer along with the original model, and then scale and "substract". Not very practical...

Anyway, I'll try to work my way around that, but if anyone has any guidance, help would be appreciated

Regards

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yes, they are STL files and pulling them into Fusion 360 is a bear (I've done it a few times before). Since they are meshes, they will not come in correctly, and it takes too much effort to correct them, if even possible. What my suggestion was is if you like the model but just want to hollow it out, you can do that in Tinkercad.

Ah thanks, I did not know that Tinkercad had that capability, I'll look it up.

Regards

2 weeks later
#376 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

You're right about that. Thank you.

No adjustments on the left side. My printer is an Elegoo Mars resin printer, so I may print some test parts and then get Shapeways to print the final ones in PETG or PLA.

I'm not sure I understand, why would you go to Shapeway if you have a resin printer? There are some ABS-like resin out there, and accuracy is super good with a resin, did I miss something?

Regards

#379 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

resin will still crack and shatter from potential high impacts

For reference:
https://www.bcn3d.com/strongest-3d-printing-materials-impact-fatigue-resistant-filaments/

Details: " In fact, parts printed with tough resin can have a tensile strength of 55.7 MPa and a 2.7-GPa modulus of elasticity. "

Although I do not know what strength can achieve Shapeways print, it's worthwhile considering IMO (bottle is not that expensive)

Regards

2 weeks later
#432 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Is this the mod you are talking about? I believe swinks is the creator and maybe can assist.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swinks-cftbl-snackbar-mod-v5-last-ever-run
I don't know of any free files though but I also don't have a creature from the black lagoon.

You need to go on Swinks website, then Documentation, there is a DIY section with a specific complete manual for the snackbar mod. You will need however to order through Shapeways the various parts, Swinks is not releasing the STL files.

#472 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

Did some tests with photogrammetry. 3d scan with lots of 2d pictures and sticking them together to a 3d model. Did some Munsters Figures. But i have mixed feelings about, they are not so great but still astonished that it works at all. Included is Spot dino that i mixed together from 3 models. This what spot could look like.
Also i have done the TMNT Blimp.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4771714
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4777733[quoted image][quoted image]

I was looking into that, which setup did you use (sw, caméra, etc)?

Cheers

1 month later
#612 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

just did some designs to mount cameras in a stern.
the first can put on the backboard and mount a camera on it. You just clip it over the backboard.
i wanted to have a camera view from the back to the front. What i was thinking to be a good idea, but in the end is not as satisfying as i thought.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4826995
The other thing i am in just in the progress is to do a Apron mount for cameras, but i still need to figure some things out. The design i think is ok, but some finetuning in measurement. You will screw it to just left and right of the flippers. the backside should just sit on the apron.
in the middle you can then mout the camera to have a view to the backside, and hopefully the camera does not get smashed.
If it works i will post it.[quoted image]

That's actually cool, I was thinking of something similar, just wondering how to correct the distortion to get a flat field view in real time

#634 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Yeah, I have three cats, so keeping them away is one of the reasons I want one. Fire prevention is another reason. Keeping the temperature even for printing is a distant third on my list. Glad to hear it works well!

If you ever want to print ABS (and if you do... exhaust ventilation is a MUST !! And add a filter as well), the enclosure is required since you need to keep ambiant temperature high.

#640 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I've been printing ABS for years (in an enclosure), but I've never bothered with any special ventilation. I think the fume concerns are overblown. I don't hang out in the room with the printer when it's running, so I'm not too worried about it.

Sincerely, I believe it's a mistake. There are dozens of scientific papers out there (as in real scientific papers, not website type analysis) that show that ABS 3d printing produces ten times as many nano particles than PLA (which is already bad in itself). Plus the Nano particles are smaller.

When you print within an enclosure, all nano particles are floating in the enclosure. When you remove the enclosure, they scatter in the neighboring environment. Some stick to surfaces, but it's fair to say in any case that the amount of particles floating in the air will increase significantly the likelihood of inhaling those particles.

And you really really don't want that. We lack data and time to determine whether this is rally harmful, but all studies on Nano particles effect point toward serious risks

Unless you don't care about long term effect.

Remember asbestos? Took several dozen years to realize it's disastrous side effects.

#644 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

If the problem is truly nano-particles, then it’s not a wise idea to be pumping that air around the room with “ventilation”, unless you have some very expensive filtration. Better off keeping the enclosure sealed so that the particles stay confined and settle. And yes, a fine film does collect statically on the inside of the plastic enclosure, which I clean out occasionally.

You are correct, by ventilation I mean exhaust tobthe outside, ideally with a filter (otherwise we basically pollute the outside)

There are also filters designed to collect particles within the enclosure itself (essentially a closed loop air circulator)

The fine film is indeed a neat idea, what do you use?

1 week later
#685 2 years ago
Quoted from plasticbugs:

In another thread about the noisy power supply fan in modern Sterns (mine is a TMNT), someone posted a 40mm to 60mm fan adapter for mounting a larger, quieter 12 volt fan on top of the existing fan. This saves you from opening the power supply area and voiding your warranty to replace the fan. It also saves you from the over-loud fan that sounds like a gosh dang hovercraft when it kicks on.
However, the adapter version that was posted no longer exists, so I created a custom version from scratch in Fusion 360 which is made specifically to mount a 60mm fan on top of the Stern power supply using one of the pre-existing screws. I printed mine on a Prusa Mini.
I'm using a nice and quiet Noctua NF-A6x25 that I got off of Amazon. It connects to the open 12 Volt power connector on the power board just below the power supply box using a connector and cable from Pinball Life:
https://www.pinballlife.com/spike-12-volt-backbox-power-adapter-cable.html
You can see where this 12V connection is in the pictures on Pinball Life.
All the details are on the thingiverse page:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4844962[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

And actually that's a neat idea, I was thinking about that, would this apply to a Meanwell PSU ? When we add ledstrip (such as using Pinduino), amp requirement is through the roof (60mA per led, that adds up quickly), and these damn Meanwell PSU tend to be noisy. I just don't know if fan control is driven by temperature, or by amperage load on the PSU. If driven by temperature, that design type would be a nice adder to any Meanwell PSU.

#698 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Actually, read several reviews online regarding the Rustoleum sandable filler/primer that DavidCPA recommended, and makers seem to love it for 3D printed models. Therefore, I think I'm going to give this method a try.

If you have an enclosure, you can try printing in ABS then smooth using acetone vapor.

1 week later
#733 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Snapmaker finally released a firmware update that supports M600 (pause at layer), so I started messing around with filament changes. First experiment was OK:
[quoted image]
I didn't really like the white/red transition, so I reworked it to use three pieces (black/white, black/red, and silver), and made it 400% bigger for a wall decoration:
[quoted image]
Fits nicely on the narrow bulkhead in the game area. Being able to reliably change things out mid-print is a game changer.

Happy with your snapmaker? Considering taking the plunge for the laser engraver and cnc cutter, but hard to justify the price just for these two functions, as I already have a CR10S. Can't figure out if the 3d printer part is better than my CR10S to justify upgrading and swapping

3 weeks later
#846 2 years ago

Has anyone designed a holder for flipper coil fans, for games like LOTR for ex?

Regards

2 weeks later
#868 2 years ago

Anyone would have designed a holder for small size fans to cool the coils (especially useful for those pinball machines where the flipper coils get hot and lose in power) ?

Cheers

3 months later
#1005 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm getting ready to order an Ender 3 Pro so I can make light shields for a homebrew I'm working on, suggests for newbie software for fairly simple shapes such as light shields? Will be printing with PLA black.

If you don't mind the risk of a changing licence term, Fusion 360 from autodesk is quite good, lot of functionalities. It's free for personal usage (reason I'm stating 'risk of changing licence terms' is because Autodesk reduced the capabilities, especially import/export of the free version, which is a pita)

#1019 2 years ago

On a sidenote, is there a good ressource for a 'remix' workflow?

I find that importing an STL into a CAD program results into a very dense mesh, which is really not practical to use for the purpose of making modifications, especially with regards to snapping to a vertex.

I used Meshmixer, at least I can perform boolean operations on the mesh, but I wish there was a simpler process

1 month later
#1153 2 years ago

Good afternoon everyone

Would anyone have designed an adapter plate for spike 2 4" (pro and premium) to 5.5" speaker (LE)?

These adapter plates are super expensive and I don't see why it could not be printed

Cheers

#1155 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Option 1: Purchase a speaker light kit and you can get a pair for $25 - http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Plates.html
Option 2: Purchase a set alone for $50 (or for whatever price others are selling them for)
Option 3: 3D printed version - I'm not too sure about this. The plates are quite thin (maybe could be thicker) but my main concern are the welded posts that extend up on the inner side of them for mounting the speakers. I just don't know if a 3D printed part would have enough strength in these stress areas for the weight of the speaker, especially over time as the speaker panel gets opened and closed. Theoretically, the posts could be 3D printed, but they would snap like a dead tree branch with very little force. If you mounted metal studs, I still think they would snap the thin supporting plastic around them.
One of the axioms I've adopted over the few years I've been doing 3D design and printing is, "Just because you can, that doesn't mean you should." I'm afraid this may be one of those instances, but I'm always happy to be proven wrong. BTW, my other 3D printing axiom is, "Just because you can design it, that doesn't mean you can print it."
[quoted image]

Thanks, but I'm a DIY kind of guy. Plus I live in Europe, so shipment and tax will put the whole kit way higher than what I'd like.

I also have access to metal part manufacturing if needs be, although if I can I'd prefer the 3d printing route. I'll see how I can design one for my purpose.

3 weeks later
#1327 2 years ago

What is the best technique people are using to minimize the layers being visible in a print (besides post processing, ie acetone vapor for ABS or sanding for PLA)?

Regards

2 weeks later
#1489 2 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Remote monitoring, TSD will use AI to detect failed prints and automatically pause the printer, endless plugins and customization.
Printing from USB is fine, but it's way nicer to sit at my PC and use the webUI versus a little display and a little knob.
When making parts I often make multiple revisions and it's way more convenient to upload to the pi over the webUI versus swapping the USB back and forth.
The value for the entry price is incredible.
You won't regret it.

TSD uses AI to detect failed print, can you please elaborate? I'm not sure I've heard of this TSD acronym or capability before (which is a bummer, given that I work in AI...)

#1491 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Lol! it means "The Spaghetti detective". Not going to find that in your industry handbooks
I can't comment on how the the AI part works but it uses image recognition to detect failed "spaghetti" prints. I've never used it myself but people seem to have success with it.

Just found it. A classic Yolo object detection DNN applied to 3d printing, nice.

The beauty is that they get the source data from the users, so you actually pay to get the capability, and they use the data you provide to improve the model, very neat development model. OK, they're not the first, Tesla did it as well, but still...

Thanks for the pointer, one learns every day

2 weeks later
#1533 2 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Greetings John_I
The Kenwood KFC-1366S are better but without a comparison it is easy to think they are the best choice since this is what ships in most LE's. However, having evaluated this model here in the shop (alongside many others) I can tell you with all confidence that they are not the best speaker for the money. The main shortcomings I hear are very thin mids (owing to the smaller magnet and voice coil) and a rigid tweeter that lacks crispness and definition. I don't want to knock this model as a selection, just to say that I think there are better sounding speakers out there in terms of value.
Not all Stern LE's come with upgraded backbox speakers and for a more comprehensive list, below is a reference at PinWoofer.com (thanks to the several guys who have helped to compile this):
https://pinwoofer.com/blog/stern-spike2-limited-edition-le-titles-and-upgraded-backbox-speaker-list/
For now, we'll continue to offer the Pyle Blue Label. I've also picked a well written comparison of the two so you don't have to take my word for it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-zeppelin-le-thread/page/55#post-6158857
I guess the last thing - I've seen you make mention of the cabinet speaker a couple of times lately but to make a minor correction, LE's do generally come with an upgraded cabinet speaker; the GW-208/4. It is far better than the Pro/Premium driver, but the stock MPU Node Amp is pretty much what you get in a flat panel TV so unless you add the PinWoofer amp, there is not much of a point to upgrading the Pro/Premium. We go a step further with our dual voice coil driver which makes a huge difference when adding the PinWoofer amp.
Upgrading speakers might help you to reach 25% of the potential of the audio track. The PinWoofer solution adds a ton of dynamic range and presence to the title for the remainder - you really have to hear our system to get it.
It was nice of you to make mention us in a positive light. Have a great rest of your New Year's Day and if possible, go play some pinball!

Is there a big difference in quality between 4" and 5.25" with the Pyle speakers? Going from one to the other on a premium force you to change the metal holder as well

Regards

2 weeks later
#1654 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Not sure on the scale you're using, i did 50% of the model, but the supports looks right for what it needs to print. The smaller the print, the higher the calibration your printer might need to be in order for the supports to have just enough adhesion to the model but still able to be snapped off without anything else coming off.
[quoted image]

If you use Cura, there is an option for 'tree support'. Essentially removes vertical support in favor of 'tree branches' that are along the body with very light attach points. Much much better, lower amount of plastic, easier to remove

3 weeks later
#1724 2 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Spike 2 LED speaker panel
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5243944[quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool, thanks !

3 weeks later
#1772 2 years ago

Please find below a link to a speaker ring adapter.

Designed for Spike 2 Pro/Premium, to fit JBL 4020 superb coax speakers (they really look cool...)
Fusion360 file provided if you want to play around with it and fit other speaker size

You need M3 nuts and screws to assemble the speaker to the adapter, which then slide in place with the existing screws of the original speaker mounting mechanism

Note that there is a groove where you can fit a ledstrip, which is covered by a thin 1mm thick wall, to diffuse light and reduce spot effect of leds

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5318717

20220225_232000 (Medium) (resized).jpg20220225_232000 (Medium) (resized).jpg20220225_232043 (Medium) (resized).jpg20220225_232043 (Medium) (resized).jpg20220226_133452 (Medium) (resized).jpg20220226_133452 (Medium) (resized).jpg
#1774 2 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Isn't a slot needed in order to feed the LED strip into the housing?

There are a few opening (not shown on the picture). You'll see better on the 3D model

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#1781 2 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:It does look like the surround foam is crushed a bit.

Pictures are deceptive, it does not crush the foam. At least on my print, but I admit it's borderline. You can play around with the fusion file, all diameters can be changed in the parameters section. Just remember to adjust all other diameters accordingly (maybe I should update with a parametric design)

Quoted from indypinhead:

So....the LED strip fits inside the slot?....not around the inside diameter?

That's correct

#1787 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Yeah man, all 0.4mm.
As an update, I changed over everything once again (to ensure I'm not going mad); new nozzle, coupling nuts, tube, did the tube preload where you back the nozzle out 3/4 turn, insert the tube, then torque the nozzle up for an exact fit, and the filament isn't feeding nicely. I've put two washers under the spring to increase the tension, and I even pushed the tensioner out (for more tension) whilst the feeder motor was moving, and it just doesn't pull the filament. If you push the filament as it's working to assist, it then takes. So with all the tension in the world, it still won't feed without a push.
I've got a whole new all-metal feeder assembly due here Friday, that's about the last thing left it could be! May be the pinion (is that the correct term?) gear, or the baseplate, either way fingers crossed. I'll be pulling my hair out if this doesn't fix it.

Well... can you check if your hotend fan is working properly ?

If it does not, the metal body temperature of the hotend will slowly increase, resulting into the plastic melting right at the entrance of the hotend. This means that your extruder will never be able to push the plastic any further.

the only place in the hotend where the plastic is supposed to melt is in the nozzle itself.

2 weeks later
#1835 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Print that on a Prusa 3D textured steel sheet and you'll even get a similar texture of the spattered coin door instead of a perfectly smooth face on the plate. Here is a zoomed-in example of a model's surface when printed on that sheet.
[quoted image]

that's neat, trying to figure out a good translation in french to buy one, would you have an Amazon.com link so I can see how it's called in english ?

4 weeks later
#2062 1 year ago

Has anyone experimented with resin printing and is knowledgeable about various resin types ?

I have an Elegoo Mars printer, and wanted to print some models (courtesy of Pinworld, many thanks to them for posting their model on Thingiverse) that would benefit of being translucent. I can print it using a regular FDM printer, white PLA, and I know it will work, however I'm not a big fan of the layer effect induced by FDM printing for models that will be on the playfield.

I therefore kind of wonder if I can replicate the same behaviour as white PLA with regards to translucency using white resin, and if so which one ? I have grey ABS like resin, which is not suited, but before going out a buying a bottle of resin, I would welcome some feedbacks

Cheers

#2068 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

I find a good chunk of resins able to have some light pass through at about 1mm wall thickness. I've only used one white resin and it was the elegoo one. Wasn't too happy with that brand's white formula as it was pretty brittle compared to the the normal grey stuff, but it did have a lot of light able to pass through. Alternatively, you can try clear translucent resin and sand it to give it a frosted clear look. Been using Anycubic brand and its been pretty good so far.

I was looking to do that. Problem is that clear translucent resin tend to yellow under UV, at least the one I have (Elegoo again).

#2073 1 year ago

Many thanks to all who commented, that gave me some pointers with regards to resin type

1 week later
#2120 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Thanks for that. I just was looking for fans on the Internet and found these parts for rc motors. Will order 4 and test if they fit arround the coil. If yes a very cheap and nice mod for only 6 dollars.
I will share all Infos if they really work. Would be great
US $2.74
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLvZVLu
This is the link if you want to order and try it your self. I measured and you would need the 540 and a 12v fan.
[quoted image]

This is brilliant.

On another topic, has anyone designed a centering bracket for pop bumper socket (WPC and Stern) ?

#2123 1 year ago
Quoted from sheahan2:

Already tested, they fit. I added thermal tape to the inside of the heatsink which makes sure that the heat sink doesn't fall off the coil and promotes more thermal conductivity between the coil and the heat sink. There's some blue thermal tape on Amazon that works great. These work best at 6.3 v.

Are you using the integrated fan (which is rated at 5V) ?

Also, wouldn't it be better to use a model with the fan sitting on top, like this one:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002806098212.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.72ad378de2sgyd&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

Regards

1 week later
#2196 1 year ago

I have a rather nice model of "The Mandalorian" ship, taken from Thingiverse, printed as multiple parts (model here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5267987)

I printed it using resin, scaling it down at 45% to fit my Elegoo Mars, and details are still quite good.

However, some parts (especially the two "wing-like" portion at the front) have a big common surface, and of course because of shrinkage and warping, there's a tiny gap when assembling them (I did not glue them yet, just tested the fit), plus you see the assembly line

So what would be your recommendation to assemble them and remove the unavoidable gap that will appear, and ideally also remove the assembly line ?

Regards

3 weeks later
#2279 1 year ago

Just love Open source and DIY

I replaced the controller board of my trusty CR10S with a Bigtreetech board. I had to compile Marlin, took me a while to adjust all options correctly, but it now all works fine. The new stepper motor driver on this board are completely silent, I only hear the fan noise now.

But what's even more fun... The board has a small ESP32 based board, with Wifi. I compiled the appropriate firmware to enable wifi communication and serial communication with the controller board.

I installed Octoprint in a docker container running in a small ARM system which I use for other purposes (I could install it in my NAS for that matter), installed a plugin which allows Octoprint to communicate over a virtual serial connection over TCP/IP, and voila, I can now send directly from Cura to Octoprint over network, which can send gcode commands to the ESP32 over Wifi, which in turns communicate with the controller board. No need for a RPI connected to the printer anymore.

I tested for two 4 hours print, no issue. Now need to test with a longer print

Slightly off topic, I know.

#2282 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I've already got it drawn up, that was the easy part.

Here's a screenshot of what I see for both these situations, following both guides. Those two file options are greyed out, most likely because it's a personal, non-commercial license. Since DWG and DXF are production-ready file formats used by most everyone out there, they're making sure that someone doesn't get the free version, start drawing parts, and start making them and selling them, all using a free version of their software.[quoted image]

Well that's odd

I just did it on several occasions, and tested it again right now just to be sure.

I'm using the export command from a flattened metal sheet design, it did offer me the DXF option, see attached screen below

However what is very odd is that I do have a message at the bottom, stating that IGES,SAT,DWG and DXF export capabilities are part of a subscription. But I don't have one, so...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2285 1 year ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

You guys are probably talking about the differences between the free version of f360 and the paid version

That's the odd situation. I'm using the free version. Never paid for it, the licence clearly states "free for personal usage", but... I get access to export functions which are theoretically locked. I can even export to DWG. Go figure. Guess I'm lucky.

#2297 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Bingo. I got my version after they locked down the DXF and DWG file saves/exports for the free version. If any of you have a version that can still do that, never update it!

If I had(or had access to) SolidWorks, or had drawn it in SolidWorks already, I wouldn't have this problem.

I have the file(and a couple slight variations of the part in other files) saved already in the standard F360 format; and with my first version, I've also got a full drawing done as a flat pattern with an isometric view, but the free version of F360 won't let you export it as anything, not even a PDF, let alone a DWG or DXF.
As far as the material, it'll be a metal part, but I think stainless might be too soft, unless I make it thicker. But, that might be too thick to bend at the radius and clearance the part needs. The company that I'll be using to make it for me is a company that I used to have make all manner of custom parts when I worked for an RV manufacturer. All they do is custom laser cut and bend metal of all types. I can't imagine this part will cost all that much to make a couple prototypes of, but in order to even get as far as a quote, I have to be able to get them a file of some sort. That's where my issue with the F360 file saving/converting is becoming a real problem.

Funny, because my Fusion360 version IS updated (to the latest one 2.0.13168).

Guess that for some reason entitlement on my account is enabled for DXF/DWG. I won't complain

#2302 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

TOTAN bed of Nails mod is finally finished. Was fun teaching myself some 3D sculpting to create realistic wood.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very nice. I would really love some pointer on what tools to use and tutorials to create this. I can easily design mechanical parts, but wood/stone/living stuff is completely beyond my reach right now

#2308 1 year ago

I remember somebody mentioning a 3D printer build plate that had a texture very similar to the black powder coat texture on the coin door, so that printing parts (and paint them black) would look very similar, but I can't find the reference, any pointer ?

Thanks

#2310 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

do NOT buy the gold textured build plates on amazon, they work like crap
amazon.com link »
Buy the smooth ones and sand lightly as needed:
amazon.com link »

Thanks for the advice

Regards

1 week later
#2321 1 year ago

Super long review of the Bambu lab

Given that I did not get a very high discount when pledging, I'm tempted to just cancel and buy retail once the quirks are ironed out

1 week later
#2351 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

made a servo testing rig - 3d printers are very handy.

I sense a mod in design

Curious though, why not simply drive the servo through a simple arduino GPIO ?

#2364 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like it when there are multiple solutions to a problem. I will check both, I have a pot meter on my lightsensor so will try that first and will also investigate the signal from a coil/upkicker and flippers.

On the coil strategy, I strongly advise to use an opto, and not a voltage divider. That way you have total isolation, and no risk of frying the Arduino.
Also, when a coil activate, the current draw is so high that the capacitor just after the rectifier gets discharged very quickly, so the coil voltage actually drops significantly (I have scope measurements for this somewhere), which means you will likely go below TTL level on the input if you're using a voltage divider, thus triggering the Arduino into thinking voltage is off. This does not last for more than a few ms (about 20ms on top of my head), but that could induce unwanted effects.

Using an opto, as long as coil voltage is higher than the minimum opto threshold, you will always get a solid output from the opto into the arduino

Otherwise, SW wise, what you're looking for is equivalent to a debouncer: here's a debouncer code, you can probably expand by using three signal read and adjust duration based on light strobe frequency: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/BuiltInExamples/Debounce

3 weeks later
#2400 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Your daughter does some nice work!
I threw together some of the grav charge flasher covers for my mando this week.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Compared to what's in the show:[quoted image]

Looking good indeed. May I know the model you used? A friend downloaded one from thingiverse, but it did not fit his Mandalorian Pro

Cheers

#2410 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

My new Bambu Lab X1 Carbon has arrived and is AMAZING! Prints are lighting fast even in "sport" mode (~200mm/s) and the finish almost feels like its injection molded in many cases. I don't think my Vyper will see much use going forward.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice to see the results. I must say I cancelled my pledge because the price delta if you were not a super early bird was not significant (250 dollars), and there was a lot of unknown with regards to warranty for KS units and how to deal with shipment back to factory from Europe in case of defect. I much prefer to buy through a local reseller when they have one (which hopefully they will)

#2442 1 year ago

Just realized I never posted here this mod I designed a few months ago:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-disc-mod-open-source

Specifically 3D model for the ledring holder below the Tron disc is here (along with Arduino code):
https://github.com/Ashram56/Tron-Pinball-Disc-Mod

Strongly recommend to use Pinduino to drive the ledring

#2446 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

This is awesome!!
Looks really great!
Did you do the arduino component too?

Yes the ino file is the arduino code

I also have a PCB design which I prototyped on a breadboard, works fine for that purpose, but a cleaner design might be useful (and smaller....). My prototype uses a Wemos, while the PCB design I did is for the seedstudio xiao

#2471 1 year ago

Just to note that if you intend to build mods, printing time and painting are the most critical. High quality mods are very long to print to increase quality, and even longer to paint. We're talking about a few hours of print usually.

If the mods are 'hidden' (like my Tron disc mod, for which only the led ring is visible, the 3d print is just a mount), then indeed you can reduce print time (to a certain extent)

#2515 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm a fan of ABS, the smell is negligible but an enclosure is good for large prints. Small prints I dont bother.

Enclosure is also pretty much required because of the Nano particles created by ABS printing in my opinion.

Also, could never get bed adhesion with ABS at ambient temperature anyway

2 weeks later
#2552 1 year ago

Has anyone used transparent resin to print translucent targets, can it withstand the abuse?

I have a feeling the answer will be a resounding NO....

3 weeks later
#2628 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

This new Bambu x1 carbon printer is insane.
17 min benchy straight out of the box.
Machine went together and booted flawlessly.
Setup was not too bad and there are a bunch of little parts that came with it that I'll have to find a video on to see what they are for. Some are self explanatory. Almost none were needed to put the printer together.
The benchy is about as good as it gets with zero slicer tweaks.
Oh yeah at 1000 mph.
The bambu slicer will take me a little time I'm sure and it wouldn't link at first to the network when I downloaded it on my laptop. My windows media player needed to be turned on. The bambu troubleshooting lead me there. I wouldn't have had a clue.
It's a tank and very well built.
I was watching it from my phone in another room cause it even has a camera. Ridiculous.
I'm afraid my ender 3 pro is about to become scrap. haha.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice,

Would love to see results at low speed, with regards to quality (layering, etc).

Also, can you post a close up of benchy?

Cheers

#2640 1 year ago

Am I being unreasonable....

I received my Saturn 2 two weeks ago, and literally yesterday my Elegoo Jupiter.... This one is massive...

Still have to test the high resolution resin to determine if the Saturn 2 is indeed better resolution.

Next, a Bambu when it's available in retail through a local reseller (I did not back the KS because the cost delta was minimal, and there was no indication of how warranty would be managed for KS units)

1 week later
#2664 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

SLA will produce much nicer results than FDM. But I remain impressed that anyone is willing to put up with all the mess and toxic chemicals. Between having to wash the prints, cure the prints, worry about breathing fumes or getting uncured resin on your skin, disposal of contaminated alcohol, and of course the ongoing consumption of the alcohol (or whatever you're using to wash prints) and rubber gloves, it seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to.
Maybe if I were more into printing minis and the like I'd see the attraction. But nearly all of my 3D printing is for mechanical parts (whether to solve household problems or fix pinball machines, like the Rush part I designed for the inner loop issue), and FDM works great for that, without all the fuss and mess.

Absolutely correct. I have both (resin and fdm), and to each their use. 2Niro mods (star wars light Saber) are resin printed because he needs top quality. Likewise, I'll use resin printing for anything cosmetic. But mechanical parts, or even prototyping, go for FDM

1 month later
#2924 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

Kind words, thank you. I do hope it's useful to lots of other people. I wax on about the virtues of 3D printing, but a lot of my personal examples are unique to my specific needs. It would be gratifying if once in a while, the work I put into a design can benefit more than just me.
With that mounting plate, my two main concerns are that a) I only have the one speaker model to use it with, and so while I assume there's some standardization to the car audio form factors, I don't really know for sure that that design could be used by anyone with any speaker other than the Alpines I used it with, and b) the need to get some specialized hardware (the hex drive screws) might turn some people off who otherwise could benefit from the design.
That said, I do suspect that there is a fairly standard form factor for this size speaker, and while the metal plates you can buy retail have their appeal in terms of compatibility with the OEM hardware fasteners, you still need to get additional parts -- ironically, in some cases 3D printed ones -- to complete the install, while this mounting plate includes everything as a single design, printable as a complete part, or in two pieces for those that are going to use LEDs or just prefer the convenience. So I'm hopeful that my concerns are not serious ones.

I was going to take a look at your design to assess how different my speaker mounting holes are compared to yours.

Otherwise, if you used Fusion, it's probably a simple matter of adjusting in the sketch the hole position

#2933 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

Funny you mention that.
Most of the hours I put into this design, were fighting with Fusion 360 fine-tuning the hole position, once I realized I'd failed to line it up initially.
Some (most?) of that is my inexperience, which led to the initial sketch that defines the hole position and other elements in that plane not being constrained in a way to support that kind of edit. I'd guess a more expert designer would have built the sketch and subsequent features differently, working more in line with what Fusion expects.
But in my case, the first time I went to move the hole, the sketch itself got all screwed up. And even once I reworked the sketch to get the constraints right, so that I could move the hole and the mounting boss profile (which needs to be tied to the hole) without causing all of the non-hole lines in the sketch to get distorted, Fusion still had lots of trouble tracking bodies and profiles involved in the later operations, and my timeline got filled with lots of warnings and errors.
Every time that happened, it meant I had to step through my timeline and redo each feature, fixing up whatever references Fusion had gotten confused about. Very tedious work, and it happened at least three or four times.
I'm sure one day I will know how to use Fusion well enough to be able to avoid these kinds of problems. But I'm definitely not there yet.

Been there

Now I always end up sketching everything on a single sketch if possible, then extrude. For example, the holes in my adapter design are defined by the intersection of a circle and a line. That way I can adjust easily the circle diameter to reflect the mounting point of a speaker. I tend to avoid complex shapes in order precisely to avoid situations where the function is messed up because the construction algorithm can't figure out the operation

I've seen cases however where for some reason the primitives are not defined properly by Fusion so when I adjust it screws up (3 points rectangle comes to mind)

2 months later
#3579 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And everyone in Kentucky is married to their cousin, right? Let's not make this about stupid state stereotypes, this is about taking care of each other.
When you start playing with serious tools you need to take them seriously and respect them. FDM printing is fairly fool proof, so long as your printer doesn't have thermal runaway issues. When you graduate past that there are things you need to be educated about.
If you're resin printing you need to be careful handling uncured resin with your bare skin, you need to wear a respirator if you're sanding. If you're cutting with a laser you need to know what's safe to cut and how to be around it safely.
You are burning through things, even if they're nominally safe for lasers (wood, acrylic, natural leather) you don't want the be breathing in the smoke and fumes, nor coating the ceiling of your house/garage/basement with them. (Also, they can smell terrible.)
A beam that can cut through ⅛" wood will fuck your eye up if it's reflected off something and hits it. And even if you're diligent about wearing the stupid glasses they include, they're often garbage colored plastic that don't actually stop the wavelength. Buy name brand glasses from a reliable source if you want to go that route.
Laser cutting is rad, it's an awesome creative tool, and I think a lot of people in this thread would get a real kick out of it. But I encourage you to do your homework, and don't cheap out overmuch. If you're really on a budget consider a K40. Smaller cutting area, but it's a properly enclosed C02.
Anyways, if you don't want to read my ramblings watch this:

Well the K40 while on paper seems great does require a ton of tweaks and change. Yes it has an enclosure and a CO2 laser, but pretty much everything else need to be tweaked. Cooling, exhaust, alignement is a bitch, no bed z height adjustment, etc... It's not even up and running for me as I had to realign the gantry, fix the exhaust, had a few safety measures (analog power meter instead of digital which is crap), and now I need to align the laser. In retrospect, I should have cashed out a little bit more.

The snapmaker serie seems a good option, except that their 10w laser is a laser diode, so it can't cut through acrylic, and I'm really not comfortable with their enclosure filtering the laser wavelength. I do have one though, but I'm really super cautious around it. It's great for wood engraving and cutting though.

1 week later
#3690 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

That’s what I’m wondering ….. the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.
I’m waiting to see how serviceable and how long term reliability is
Their software is proprietary so if the company folds so does support.
Wanna pull the trigger but I think I’ll wait a year or two to see how things unfold

Support was my number one reason for cancelling my Kickstarter funding. They never clearly stated how was warranty applied, especially with regards to shipping cost

Here's the question I sent to their service department:

"
What is unclear is whether shipment costs are covered when buying through your own webstore, I quote your terms:

" And you may have to burden shipping costs for return, repair, or replacement of product(s) depending on Bambu Lab's aftersales policies in your local area. "

"

and their response

"... we will take it case by case "

Given the weight of the machine, this is a rather vague statement, if I have to pay 200 euros for shipping cost in case of a failure under warranty, I would be really unhappy. And their lack of response is not really encouraging

I really want to jump on the X1C, but seriously, they need to up their country coverage with regards to service (reseller, distributors, etc)

11 months later
#5923 3 months ago

Good morning 3D modeling experts !

I've been using Fusion to create small custom mechanical parts for a while, but I'd like to perform a remix of an existing model which is only provided as an STL. Nothing fancy, need to create channels for wires and "holes" for electronic components, etc... But I must say I'm a little bit at a loss on how to approach that.

I tried Meshmixer, seems some of the functions are now integrated within Fusion 360, but what are 3D remix experts using out there for more complicated modifications ?

Cheers !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=Ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.