IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20240407_100723 (resized).jpg
20240407_100751 (resized).jpg
20240407_100811 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,589 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 132.
#2951 1 year ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

My

This would be easy to print in either separate pieces or a a complete unit. I will print one when i get home as a complete unit as a test.

Let me know what you find out.
Inserting the screen is the challenge.

#2953 1 year ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Printing it with one side removed is even easier as it will allow the other side to go on after the screen is positioned. I will do it that way for the test as it will take way less print time. The sides will actually be smooth so none of those holes will be present and show thru the sticker.

Edit Added:

I will do it on the textured bed so the outside are finished and anything that the sticker does not cover will be presentable.

#2955 1 year ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I simplified the cross bits that form the black body for now. I could make them all separate with the key slots but for this test I will just do them merged together. Merging them is kinda nice as now they will not have the gaps. I can even add more detail to mimic the real cabinet better. This can be a simple 2 part cabinet if you think about it.
[quoted image]

Lay it on its side and you could print in two pieces and glue together. Could even print tabs to snap opposite side on.

I know you are using solid works, but something like this with simple shapes could be knocked out in less than 30 mins on something as basic as Tinkercad.

#2957 1 year ago

Ok day one with my S1 pro and new to this whole thing. A few crazy challenges but I got this done. Lol a test bunny and a Mando!

Tomorrow a mode for Mando that I have been working on before I had a printer.

BF30DEE0-6774-4614-AA56-252BA31E33F9 (resized).jpegBF30DEE0-6774-4614-AA56-252BA31E33F9 (resized).jpeg
#2958 1 year ago

Looks like you are not getting good bed adhesion.

#2959 1 year ago

Also check your belt tension. Looks like they might need to be tightened up just a bit?

#2960 1 year ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

On the first two rabbits before the hood one it got up like 5 layers and broke loose. I clean the pad with alcohol and it sticks good now. But the corners of the larger piece for Mando are curled up a little. Is the bed to hot?

#2961 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Also check your belt tension. Looks like they might need to be tightened up just a bit?

Thanks! If the belt is not tight what does that cause?

#2962 1 year ago

How sensitive is PLA to moisture, do you really need air tight vacuum bags?

#2963 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

It's really not that sensitive. If you're in a super humid environment, it may be a concern. But it's usually going overboard to worry about drying things out. YMMV of course, but I've had spools for months sitting which have no issue printing a nice output.

#2964 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

could slip, which would throw off the position and you'll end up with skewed layers. think of a cnc machine running code, turning off the machine, moving the head, then resuming cutting. the machine has no idea the head is out of position.

#2965 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

tightening the belt will minimize those lines you see for each layer. They won't disappear entirely, but you'll have a more uniform look. This print isn't bad by any means, but I'd still do it. I need to do that on mine too -

#2966 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

I agree with Rdoyle1978 , not that big of a deal. Filament definitely can and will absorb water, but in my experience it takes a while (months, at least) to become a serious problem. And you'll know it's happened, because you'll hear lots of popping/crackling as you print.

Now, granted...most of my printing is for functional pieces. Even before the moisture is a real problem mechanically, you may start to see blemishes on the outside of the print from the irregular extrusion. So depending on what you're printing, your threshold for "is it a problem?" could be different from mine.

In any case, if/when you start to see issues, just bake the filament in the oven, 60-70 C (140-160 F) for 4-8 hours, and that should dry it out okay.

I do keep the filament in large Ziploc bags with packets of dessicant, just to help things a bit. But I usually have one or two spools just sitting on the printer at any given time, exposed to the room air, and they're usually fine, as long as I've been printing regularly.

#2967 1 year ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

I.e. note the corners curling up on the Mando print.

I have yet to find the magic bullet to keep this from happening. Even using blue tape or glue stick on the bed before printing isn't 100% reliable, and is a pain. The textured Prusa bed I've got usually works great, but every now and then, especially on larger prints that have more thickness to them, I'll see this sort of thing.

Raising the bed temp seems to help in my case. Sometimes including a raft (in slicer settings) also helps. Curious if anyone else has more "if you see this, I guarantee X is what's going wrong" advice.

#2968 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

tightening the belt will minimize those lines you see for each layer. They won't disappear entirely, but you'll have a more uniform look. This print isn't bad by any means, but I'd still do it. I need to do that on mine too -

Thanks for the info and follow-up!

#2969 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

I have yet to find the magic bullet to keep this from happening. Even using blue tape or glue stick on the bed before printing isn't 100% reliable, and is a pain. The textured Prusa bed I've got usually works great, but every now and then, especially on larger prints that have more thickness to them, I'll see this sort of thing.
Raising the bed temp seems to help in my case. Sometimes including a raft (in slicer settings) also helps. Curious if anyone else has more "if you see this, I guarantee X is what's going wrong" advice.

I thought about raising the bed temp as well to see how that works. When I get printing today I'm going to try that.

#2970 1 year ago

Today I am print Mondo mod parts. I will share out pictures on the prints when done.

Thanks everyone for the help and recommendations on how to improve!!

#2971 1 year ago

Has anyone purchased the mulitcolor attachment for the Prusa MK3+

299 dollars. Is it easy to use and get used to , and is it reliable

#2972 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Has anyone purchased the mulitcolor attachment for the Prusa MK3+

MMU2 is a dumpster fire across Prusa groups. Lots of people can't get it to work partially, if at all.

#2973 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

MMU2 is a dumpster fire across Prusa groups. Lots of people can't get it to work partially, if at all.

That’s good to know. Hate to ruin a machine I just bought to be a workhorse in my fleet

Thank you !!!

#2974 1 year ago

I still have my mmu kit new in the box if you (or anyone else) want to try it. $200.

#2975 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

No. I bagged my PLA religiously the first year or so I was into 3D printing. It was becoming a real pain with about 30 spools or so, so I decided I'd try not bagging. 3 years later I've not had a single quality issue with just storing my PLA openly in a non-sealed cabinet. I typically go through spools fairly quickly, but I do have several colors that are 3+ years old that I use rarely that still perform as well as the day I bought them.

#2976 1 year ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I still have my mmu kit new in the box if you (or anyone else) want to try it. $200.

PM'd

#2977 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

PLA is incredibly tolerant of temperature changes *AFTER* it has been printed and has cooled - so you can have some issues if your fans aren't controlling the temperature or if your bed isn't allowing good adhesion, and the first layer is moving around. Even a tiny movement of a micrometer can cause the adhesion to fail - usually in a larger print, the rest of the print sticks fine and you have no problems. I have very few prints that don't have an issue in SOME part - usually a tiny bit in a corner. 99% of the time it's in the back, or otherwise "good enough"

#2978 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No. I bagged my PLA religiously the first year or so I was into 3D printing. It was becoming a real pain with about 30 spools or so, so I decided I'd try not bagging. 3 years later I've not had a single quality issue with just storing my PLA openly in a non-sealed cabinet. I typically go through spools fairly quickly, but I do have several colors that are 3+ years old that I use rarely that still perform as well as the day I bought them.

Mine becomes brittle after a few weeks after opening. Happens if I don't go through the spool fast enough and even if I have them stored in some cabinets. Our overall environment in our part of town is pretty humid, so in my case requires extra care

#2979 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Mine becomes brittle after a few weeks after opening. Happens if I don't go through the spool fast enough and even if I have them stored in some cabinets. Our overall environment in our part of town is pretty humid, so in my case requires extra care

Not sure what brands you use, but I'm almost exclusively Prusament and 3D Solutech (I have a few other oddball brand rolls). Also, mine are in my home office (e.g. climate controlled).

#2980 1 year ago

A couple of things to suggest. For bed adhesion, you can print with a brim. This will help the curling. Your Mando print looks like the flow is slightly over-extruding (the top edge has a bit of a lip, that’s a symptom of overextrusion). I’d dial it back 3-4 points. As others mentionned, tighten your belts a bit, that will help with some of the surface texture.

In my experience, the 3 most important things in dialing in a printer are: a level bed, properly calibrated flow, and proper first-layer height. Each of these has very specific ways of adjustment which you can research for Prusas.

Good luck.

#2981 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Not sure what brands you use, but I'm almost exclusively Prusament and 3D Solutech (I have a few other oddball brand rolls). Also, mine are in my home office (e.g. climate controlled).

Climate controlled but some areas of the house feel more humid than others. Mostly use hatchbox and sunlu. was just mentioning that in some cases, depending of environment and probably brand as well, moisture can play a role. The filament that does last me after a few months of storage have been those put in sealed containers. Any other just end up snapping as I'm trying to feed it into the machine without much effort

#2982 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m in total learning mode and this helps a lot.

#2983 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

A couple of things to suggest. For bed adhesion, you can print with a brim. This will help the curling. Your Mando print looks like the flow is slightly over-extruding (the top edge has a bit of a lip, that’s a symptom of overextrusion). I’d dial it back 3-4 points. As others mentionned, tighten your belts a bit, that will help with some of the surface texture.
In my experience, the 3 most important things in dialing in a printer are: a level bed, properly calibrated flow, and proper first-layer height. Each of these has very specific ways of adjustment which you can research for Prusas.
Good luck.

This was totally helpful and the mod that is printing is looking amazing. Thank you. I will post my days haul later. Please comment where needed!!

#2984 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:Has anyone purchased the mulitcolor attachment for the Prusa MK3+

It took quite a bit for me to get mine working semi reliably, but it was still a crap shoot when or how it would fail. It really stood out as my MK3 prints so rock solid. Multi color is neat to play around with, but prints take forever and there is wasted filament. I was most intrigued to try it with soluble supports. Only attempted HIPS and PETG and was not impressed with how that worked out. I bought a spool of PVA for water dissolvable, but never could convince myself to try it out because it's an expensive filament and I didn't want to waste it

The one area where I think the MMU is actually quite helpful is just having multiple spools ready to print in single color prints. Either for same colors so when a spool runs out, it can switch automatically and keep printing. Or if you typically print parts that require different colors or materials. It's nice for remote printing and not having to go and load/unload every time you print something different.

One drawback which I haven't seen mentioned in forums or bug reports, is that for some odd reason the MMU doesn't go into a neutral position when printing. Meaning, the drive gears are always engaged on the filament even if the motor is turned off. The end effect of this is extra drag on the main extruder which limits print speed. Sometimes I like to kick the print speed up manually and was finding that I was under extruding after a small increase in speed. All the MMU has to do is rotate slightly to remove the resistance and it would be fine. Honestly I think so many people abandoned using the thing, problems are just not reported anymore.

The upcoming Mega's tool changer will be a huge step forward.

Quoted from TroyS:

Today I am print Mondo mod parts. I will share out pictures on the prints when done.
Thanks everyone for the help and recommendations on how to improve!!

I print remotely in my non-climate controlled shop. Humidity is decently high. I print plenty of PLA+ with the spools left open to the environment for months on end. I had generally ignored the need to keep things sealed as I never noticed print failures that I could attribute to wet filament. I changed my mind a little on this after I spent a considerable amount of time trying to tune out some minor stringing that was annoying me. I modified an old food dehydrator that I had collecting dust, and sure enough it completely cured it. So now, if there is anything I care about how it looks, I'll pop any exposed spools in the dehydrator for a couple hours ahead of time just to save on post process de-stringing. As was eluded to, it does seem specific formulations (brands and colors) tend to vary in susceptibility.

#2985 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I have a dry box I keep all of my filament in and I've definitely noticed in the summer when it's humid they can start to pick up water and you get artifacts. In the winter I don't bother because the humidity is so low.

One thing I've noticed too is that once a roll is wet it's hard to fix. I know people say you can put them in the over or a dehydrator but it's never made a difference for me. Maybe the rolls I had were too far gone or had some sort of factory defect though, it's only happened a few times and I just assume it's moisture related.

Whenever my edges start to curl up like that I give it a good cleaning with acetone and it brings it back. Depends on the type of bed you have though. When I printed on glass I would use glue and then I changed to sugar water and found it worked amazingly well for adhesion and it rinses off really easily.

#2986 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

I changed to sugar water and found it worked amazingly well

Okay, I just have to ask: what concentration of sugar are we talking here? Sweet tea? Hummingbird mix? Caramel?

#2987 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m in total learning mode and this helps a lot.

Do this if you are worried. Bag all of your filaments except for one as an experiment. Over time if you don't have any issues with the unbagged one, then I'd say you can completely lose the bags.

As others have pointed out, high or fluctuating humidity may be an issue over time.

#2988 1 year ago

Not mine but a Bambu group member on Facebook posted his Mecha Godzilla print on his X1 Carbon. I may have to make this into a topper.

IMG_0349 (resized).jpgIMG_0349 (resized).jpg
#2989 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

Okay, I just have to ask: what concentration of sugar are we talking here? Sweet tea? Hummingbird mix? Caramel?

Lol. I remember when I saw this tip posted on reddit someone asked the same thing.

I think it was a 2: 1 ratio of water to sugar. Not as thick as a simple syrup but enough that it started to get that yellowish look a syrup has.

It worked really well for adhesion, was really easy to apply with a paper towel and it cleaned up really easy with a bit of water. Maybe don't do it if you live somewhere that it would attract ants, but for me it worked great. Much easier to deal with than hairspray or glue stick.

#2990 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Not mine but a Bambu group member on Facebook posted his Mecha Godzilla print on his X1 Carbon. I may have to make this into a topper.
[quoted image]

I have seen it!
It needs to go in the game and replace the magnet

#2991 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

[quoted image]

Hey - That's my build!

#2993 1 year ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Hey - That's my build!

Great work. How many parts is it and how long did it take to print/build?

#2994 1 year ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Hey - That's my build!

Hey I know that guy

#2995 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Same here, then I got lazy. Not uncommon for me to have PLA (eSun) that's been loaded up on the printer for a good 6 months w/o issues. Humidity is ~50% most of the year (according to the smart home sensors).

#2996 1 year ago

Like others, I also leave PLA open over long periods with no obvious issues, as long as it's sitting on a shelf. One thing that does happen, though, is that if I leave it loaded in the printer for about a week, the section that is unspooled will get so brittle that it will break while just sitting there. I have to clear the "bowden tube" (it's really just a tube that feeds a direct drive extruder), then work back to the spool snapping the filament until I find flexible stuff again. Once I do that, it prints fine.

#2997 1 year ago

3D printing day 2 was going great until……

So the day was going great printing grey, Mando mod check, Godzilla perfect, god as a SS gift check, then…..

Loaded Green.

Boom they were not sticking the same to the bed. Lesson do different colors act differently even if from the same manufacturer?? Well day 3 time to experiment.

Loving the learning process.

78A1B4CA-CCC0-406E-A139-7021AEB82C73 (resized).jpeg78A1B4CA-CCC0-406E-A139-7021AEB82C73 (resized).jpeg
#2998 1 year ago

This morning starting with Black and a mod for Godzilla. Let’s see how this PLA prints. Time to start making notes.

#2999 1 year ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Hey - That's my build!

Fantastic job. I know that it's a very large scale and took quite a bit of material and time to build. Really impressive.

#3000 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

Boom they were not sticking the same to the bed. Lesson do different colors act differently even if from the same manufacturer??

Well, they could. I would not say that's typical per se. In fact, fairly unusual. But different spools come off different batches, there could be subtle differences in behavior.

One of my go-to filaments is a black PETG from MatterHackers. It's great for various structural things around the house, especially since so much of the hardware in my house (hinges, railings, door knobs, etc.) is already black. Started a new roll a week or so ago, found that it needed a much lower nozzle temp than I'd been using for the exact same product, otherwise it got a lot more stringy than it had been before.

So, sure...if the exact same product can have some variation in it, sure stands to reason you could find other variations from one color to the next, even for the same nominal material and manufacturer.

That said, for adhesion problems I would first suspect a build plate that needs cleaning. 9 times out of 10, when my prints are having trouble sticking, that's the problem. Sometimes, a microscopically thin layer of the last thing you printed will remain on the bed, interfering with the next print. Alternatively, sometimes the last print will actually clean the place on the bed where it printed, but leave adjacent areas a little fouled/dusty/whatever. Either way, a quick clean usually helps a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

There are 6,589 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby/page/60?hl=pete_d and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.