image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,597 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 132.
#701 2 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I modeled this gun from fallout 3, printed in PLA and then hosed it down with a can of filler primer. That worked great to get most of the stepping out.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYyHT7D39-/?igshid=1smvt483qtfr

That looks great, especially knowing how the camera brings out all of the detail in 3D prints.

#702 2 years ago

Wondering if anyone in here owns a JJP guns and roses and can make the linkage that goes on the spotlight servos for the up and down motion. These are prone to breaking and servos are easy to find on the internet, but the linkages however are not

#703 2 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Looks like a wrap (raptor), send to in-house paint shop.

Back from the in-house paint shop.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#704 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Wondering if anyone in here owns a JJP guns and roses and can make the linkage that goes on the spotlight servos for the up and down motion. These are prone to breaking and servos are easy to find on the internet, but the linkages however are not

I probably could if I had access to a GnR to take measurements. They are selling into private collections like crazy here is the SF Bay Area

#705 2 years ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

I probably could if I had access to a GnR to take measurements. They are selling into private collections like crazy here is the SF Bay Area

The spot it breaks is circled. I tried to super glue it but it failed

87FDA2F1-5202-4DF7-BB0D-24F93D04AD66 (resized).jpeg87FDA2F1-5202-4DF7-BB0D-24F93D04AD66 (resized).jpeg90212665-7F57-4CFE-A671-84F25D3AA1BD (resized).jpeg90212665-7F57-4CFE-A671-84F25D3AA1BD (resized).jpeg
#706 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Besides doing a 3D printed part...try some epoxy maybe?

#707 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Besides doing a 3D printed part...try some epoxy maybe?

Yes thanks. I’ll try some jb weld.

#708 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Yes thanks. I’ll try some jb weld.

JB Weld makes a version that is rather strong. I've used it, but I looked their web page but wasn't sure which one I used.

Looks like the slower cure time products have a higher strength than the quicker setting ones. You could maybe reinforce with some metal too.

Might have been this one:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#709 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

JB Weld makes a version that is rather strong. I've used it, but I looked their web page but wasn't sure which one I used.
Looks like the slower cure time products have a higher strength than the quicker setting ones. You could maybe reinforce with some metal too.
Might have been this one:
[quoted image]

Perfect thanks. I will give that a try

#710 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

here is my gravestone cross I did years ago
https://www.shapeways.com/product/9FSM4GNKL/pinball-stern-metallica-gravestone
when you are a shapeways member a Download button will appear
has a rear mount point and hollow so you can light it up
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Yes you rock! Exactly what I was thinking. Saved me a ton of time.

#711 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Perfect thanks. I will give that a try

I wonder if you could also use one of those kits that has the fiberglass bonded with resin. Perhaps just a thin piece of fiberglass pressed on that area would reinforce it and make it rock solid for the future.

I’ve used them to fix and reinforce opaque ramps that are cracked, and the file cabinet bash toy on X Files. It works well. Not sure if it would add too much thickness to that spot on the servo linkage though.

#712 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I wonder if you could also use one of those kits that has the fiberglass bonded with resin. Perhaps just a thin piece of fiberglass pressed on that area would reinforce it and make it rock solid for the future.
I’ve used them to fix and reinforce opaque ramps that are cracked, and the file cabinet bash toy on X Files. It works well. Not sure if it would add too much thickness to that spot on the servo linkage though.

I’ll look into that thanks. I appreciate the advice guys!

#713 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

That's sounds like a really good idea. I was thinking along the lines of some thin sheet metal, like what they use for HVAC.

#715 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This is the stuff I used:
amazon.com link »

I was actually just looking at that! I tried the jb weld. We’ll see. I am having a hard time keeping the pieces together while is sets

#716 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Does anyone have a good process for prepping PLA 3D prints for paint? Basically, I'm looking for a way to fill gaps before I apply paint to achieve as smooth of a surface as possible before applying a chrome finish.
I'm thinking something like some type of a topcoat or filler, followed by sanding, followed by base coat/primer, followed by final coat.

I haven't used this yet but I use Smooth On's other products for reproducing parts using silicone molds and casting resins. XTC-3D is their two-part product for smoothing and finishing 3D prints and can be colored...

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/xtc-3d/

xtc3dlinehero (resized).jpgxtc3dlinehero (resized).jpg

#717 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I haven't used this yet but I use Smooth On's other products for reproducing parts using silicone molds and casting resins. XTC-3D is their two-part product for smoothing and finishing 3D prints and can be colored...
[quoted image]

That's interesting. Wonder if you can use this w/o sanding? Some of my 3D prints have small details, would be hard to sand all the nooks and crannies.

#718 2 years ago

XTC-3D works really well for smoothing - but, it yellows really badly within 12 months of applying it. Makes your prints look awful.

#719 2 years ago
Quoted from nettek:

XTC-3D works really well for smoothing - but, it yellows really badly within 12 months of applying it. Makes your prints look awful.

Any issues if you paint (i.e. bleeding thru)?

#720 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I created that.
Part 2 is easier to print and works

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4854563

#721 2 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

I created that.
Part 2 is easier to print and works

Wow thanks!! I have a buddy that has a printer

#722 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

[quoted image]

I tried XTC-3D for another situation where I had rough-ish surfaces and it really takes multiple layers to see any significant smoothing effect. It's essentially a resin epoxy. A few heavy coats and it REDUCES the smaller layer lines, but I was never able to get it to be 100% smooth like a sanding approach yields. Obviously your mileage may vary and it has alot to do with the kind of detail in the piece itself.

Bottom line: No easy way out... 8-)

#723 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Wow thanks!! I have a buddy that has a printer

Might want to tell your buddy to do 100% infill.

#724 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Might want to tell your buddy to do 100% infill.

Will do

#725 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Does anyone have a good process for prepping PLA 3D prints for paint? Basically, I'm looking for a way to fill gaps before I apply paint to achieve as smooth of a surface as possible before applying a chrome finish.

My son wanted a Zelda sword, but rather than the Master Sword, he wanted the Fierce Deity sword from Majora's Mask:
20210330_173047 (resized).jpg20210330_173047 (resized).jpg

Finishing for that was a whole bunch of sanding (200-1000) followed by drywall compound to fill (and more sanding), and then I used a spray filler/primer before painting with a metallic acrylic and then spraying with clear. The spray primer won't smooth out everything, but it does a decent job with a few coats. Main takeaway though is that you should expect to sand...a lot. Power sanders are also liable to melt PLA if you haven't tried that already. You can do it if you're careful, but I ended up doing everything by hand.

#726 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

My son wanted a Zelda sword, but rather than the Master Sword, he wanted the Fierce Deity sword from Majora's Mask:
[quoted image]
Finishing for that was a whole bunch of sanding (200-1000) followed by drywall compound to fill (and more sanding), and then I used a spray filler/primer before painting with a metallic acrylic and then spraying with clear. The spray primer won't smooth out everything, but it does a decent job with a few coats. Main takeaway though is that you should expect to sand...a lot. Power sanders are also liable to melt PLA if you haven't tried that already. You can do it if you're careful, but I ended up doing everything by hand.

Man, that's quite the project. Mine will be a pinball part, so won't be too much effort priming/filling and sanding a few coats.

#727 2 years ago

Needed to plug the hole in my POTC playfield I made into wall art, made a disk

64244458140__0846C5B7-E538-4414-A0E1-F04C2783CC3D.HEIC (resized).jpeg64244458140__0846C5B7-E538-4414-A0E1-F04C2783CC3D.HEIC (resized).jpegIMG_4749.HEIC (resized).jpegIMG_4749.HEIC (resized).jpegdiskLit (resized).jpgdiskLit (resized).jpg
#728 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Needed to plug the hole in my POTC playfield I made into wall art, made a disk
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Now you just need to figure out how to print one with 3 discs that spin in random directions and you'd be a hero on the JJP POTC threads!

#729 2 years ago

Snapmaker finally released a firmware update that supports M600 (pause at layer), so I started messing around with filament changes. First experiment was OK:
20210510_155857 (resized).jpg20210510_155857 (resized).jpg

I didn't really like the white/red transition, so I reworked it to use three pieces (black/white, black/red, and silver), and made it 400% bigger for a wall decoration:
20210513_211648 (resized).jpg20210513_211648 (resized).jpg

Fits nicely on the narrow bulkhead in the game area. Being able to reliably change things out mid-print is a game changer.

#730 2 years ago

JJP Spotlight spare Parts

New Version

F8956E27-BFBC-4A03-A94F-8D3DEAB9A35F (resized).jpegF8956E27-BFBC-4A03-A94F-8D3DEAB9A35F (resized).jpeg
#731 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Snapmaker finally released a firmware update that supports M600 (pause at layer), so I started messing around with filament changes. First experiment was OK:
[quoted image]
I didn't really like the white/red transition, so I reworked it to use three pieces (black/white, black/red, and silver), and made it 400% bigger for a wall decoration:
[quoted image]
Fits nicely on the narrow bulkhead in the game area. Being able to reliably change things out mid-print is a game changer.

Been doing this for a few years with Slic3r/Prusa Slicer (initially with manual code inserts, and in the last year or two with the feature built into the slicer) and it really opens up the ability to do multi-colored prints (in vertical layers). You have to think a little more creatively during the design phase, but I do prints on a regular basis with several different colors and/or color changes and they come out great. Combine this ability with designing more detailed items in pieces that can be assembled, and you really open up the possibilities without moving to a multi-material printer. Of course you still can't intermix multiple colors in a given layer and color changes are manual, but still well worth learning how to think/design/print in terms of multi-color prints.

#732 2 years ago

Thanks for making these and sharing!

#733 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Happy with your snapmaker? Considering taking the plunge for the laser engraver and cnc cutter, but hard to justify the price just for these two functions, as I already have a CR10S. Can't figure out if the 3d printer part is better than my CR10S to justify upgrading and swapping

#734 2 years ago

I am thinking about upgrading from my Lulzbot mini to perhaps the Ultimaker S5. One of the reasons I like my Lulzbot is the self leveling function. Does anyone have any other recommendations? What's good between $5k to $15k? Thx!

#735 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I am thinking about upgrading from my Lulzbot mini to perhaps the Ultimaker S5. One of the reasons I like my Lulzbot is the self leveling function. Does anyone have any other recommendations? What's good between $5k to $15k? Thx!

The Ultimaker is a nice machine but I personally hated that you could only use the large 2.85 mm filament. Just tough to get when 1.75 is the standard everywhere especially in unique colors or materials.

#736 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The Ultimaker is a nice machine but I personally hated that you could only use the large 2.85 mm filament. Just tough to get when 1.75 is the standard everywhere especially in unique colors or materials.

Good point. What printer do you have or recommend?

#737 2 years ago

Good point. What printer do you have or recommend?

Have owned dozens of printers. You get what you pay for is what I found. We now have several Raise3D Pro2 units and have never looked back. Professional quality and as good as you can get reliable. Just don't bother with the E2 as that was a flop for us. Pro2 or nothing.

raise (resized).pngraise (resized).png

#738 2 years ago

Is the difference between the Pro2 and Pro 2 Plus just print size?

I think I may have found my next machine! Thanks!

#739 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Happy with your snapmaker? Considering taking the plunge for the laser engraver and cnc cutter, but hard to justify the price just for these two functions, as I already have a CR10S. Can't figure out if the 3d printer part is better than my CR10S to justify upgrading and swapping

It's my first printer, and the modularity was a selling point for me, so hard to say. It's really expensive if you're just using it for CNC/Laser. Both work pretty well though-I've done some wood engraving with the laser, and it works really well on paper if you want to do layered pieces. I haven't tried acrylic yet, but that's next on the list. I've only done a few things with CNC, and it seems to be OK, but again, even my 350 is pretty limited in carve size. Neat as a "toy" CNC, but you won't be doing playfields on this (limit is I think 300x300mm). I also got in at a preorder price last year, so it was a little cheaper than it is now. They're also still adding new stuff, so the firmware only just added the M600 pause for example. They also have a dual extruder module in development (which many other printers already have), but then there's also stuff like the CNC rotary module that just got released that's a little more unique.

#740 2 years ago

Is the difference between the Pro2 and Pro 2 Plus just print size?
I think I may have found my next machine! Thanks!

Plus is double the height. Don't make anything that big myself so the standard Pro 2 is perfect. Great people to work with also and great service in the US.

#741 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Plus is double the height. Don't make anything that big myself so the standard Pro 2 is perfect. Great people to work with also and great service in the US.

Ordering one today! Thanks!

#742 2 years ago

Recreated the often broken playfield kickout disk aka "saucer." Also made the tabs thicker so hopefully stronger that the original part

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4863393

IMG_4774 (resized).jpgIMG_4774 (resized).jpgIMG_4775 (resized).jpgIMG_4775 (resized).jpg
#743 2 years ago

Also tossed a Creature From the Black Lagoon light Baffle I remade for my restore on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4863461

Disclaimer: I'm sure someone will criticize me for offering something for free that others would like us to pay for... but I believe in supporting others in the hobby and sharing the wealth.. not individual bottom lines.
Enjoy
baffle (resized).pngbaffle (resized).png

#744 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Also tossed a Creature From the Black Lagoon light Baffle I remade for my restore on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4863461
Disclaimer: I'm sure someone will criticize me for offering something for free that others would like us to pay for... but I believe in supporting others in the hobby and sharing the wealth.. not individual bottom lines.
Enjoy
[quoted image]

You will find no criticism here sir, well done and thanks for sharing!

I would love to see someone model the BOP light panels some day. Mine are so old and brittle I feel like if I look at them wrong they'll crumble away.

#745 2 years ago

My Raised3D arrived today!

Shout out to Yelobird for the rec. Can't wait to start printing!

20210521_173630 (resized).jpg20210521_173630 (resized).jpg
#746 2 years ago

My Raised3D arrived today!
Shout out to Yelobird for the rec. Can't wait to start printing!
[quoted image]

Sweet. Good luck!!

#747 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sweet. Good luck!!

It will be your fault when one sits on my porch. Made me go check them out. Sweeeeeet

#748 2 years ago

That thing looks badass. Jealous of you guys able to afford toys like that!!! I looked it up when Yelobird recommended and nearly choked. Getting into used premium stern territory!

#749 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

That thing looks badass. Jealous of you guys able to afford toys like that!!! I looked it up when Yelobird recommended and nearly choked. Getting into used premium stern territory!

Plenty of cheaper ones out there to get your feet wet, if you don't so already.

#750 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

It's not that I can afford it, I can't afford to buy cheap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
There are 6,597 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby/page/15?hl=nettek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.