(Topic ID: 73784)

3d printing pinball parts....

By BloodyCactus

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 12.11.10 AM (resized).png
    3d_printed_part[1].jpg
    20131215_160430.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Got my 3d printer setup last night... first test I knocked out a rough Gottlieb drop target. Never used the openscad tool so there are some obvious deficiencies.

You can see the differences to the eye, but it actually works outside the playfield in the drop target mech. The slot is a bit narrow but.. it does indeed work. Need to clean it up lots more but it was an interesting experiment. The gottlieb is just an empty shell so its light, mine is solid infilled ABS and much heavier. Id say a normal 3/4 bank would have no issue on a reset.. might have to test on a 5 or one of the big 9/10 bank ones...

anyway. I thought it was interesting (not learning the openscad thing tho ugh). I'll share the STL file once I get it cleaned up and much much closer to the real thing.. right now its a test.

anyone else 3d printed parts?

20131215_160430.jpg20131215_160430.jpg
    #2 10 years ago

Cool, Definitely has many possibilities. Really good for unique part mechanisms under the playfield, standoffs and actuators.

#3 10 years ago

u may try and hollow them out if they are too heavy

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from royce6135:

u may try and hollow them out if they are too heavy

I may hollow out the shaft a bit, but not sure if I will hollow out the target. mostly because of the way the printer works (FDM) it lays down lines on top of lines, which depending on how it fills it out on the inside, can snap easily along the join of the lines. the thicker it is, more infill, more solid and stronger it is. The target face will be cut thinner to match the gottlieb profile..

Im not too convinced the extra weight is really a problem, as the solenoid lifting them is really fighting the spring tension and not the weight of the target...

anyway. fun stuff.

#5 10 years ago

Would the 3d printing work with vacuum formed plastics like that of Escape from the lost world , black water 100 to name a couple?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Would the 3d printing work with vacuum formed plastics like that of Escape from the lost world , black water 100 to name a couple?

You can build whatever, keeping in mind if you're going to make a mold base for vacuum formed parts you would want to sand/bondo it smooth beforehand. Honestly the best way to reproduce vacuum formed plastic is to get an original, fill it in with clay, carefully pop it out (so it doesn't distort), 3d scan it, then print out a positive. That way someone has an archive of the original if more are ever needed.

#7 10 years ago

Yeah, my buddy just set his up. He does restorations on anything arcade and is using it to make impossible-to -find parts like on bowlers, woodrails, etc. Really cool stuff.

#8 10 years ago

the huge vac mould parts would be limited.. by the size, my taz2 can do 12"x11"x10" or close to it, maybe 11/10/9.

anyway, I think the vac formed parts like blackwater 100 would be best done as vac form. too big for 3d printing.

1 month later
    #9 10 years ago

I'm very excited. I just made an order for a Prusa i3 printer. Unfortunately it's supposed to be a month before I get it (purchased as part of a Massdrop group buy). I've been planning to start building a machine from parts and this should open up some options for me that are a bit more difficult to find. Once I actually get a machine built from existing parts I'm going to give a whirl at a nearly all 3D printed one just to see how much of the machine could be done. I know it's probably a small group of people that actually care, but it'd be fun to have as close to an open source machine as possible.

#10 10 years ago

I'm anxious to see if it will hold up for several plays. If so, the Game Plan sharpshooter drop target issue may be solved.

#11 10 years ago

While 3D printing is pretty awesome, I doubt any of those pieces will hold up long term inside a machine. IMO the best way to utilize a 3D printer would be to make one part, sand down all the 'stepping' that occurs, seal it, then use that to cast the actual part out of a stronger resin or plastic. Simple injection molds can be made using syringes to help eliminate bubble or air pockets in the pieces.

#12 10 years ago

We have a 3D printing store here in Denver. I just sent an email to them asking if a 3D printed part would have the same strength of plastic targets in a pinball. We will see.

#13 10 years ago

One interesting thing that's come up in the last 6 months, the new connix 3d printers from stratasys (I'd imagine pricing on the printer alone is $100k) is that it can print a new material that can handle up to 400°F, so that means you can make your own injection molds (yes molds, not molded parts). Also the resolution is so great that you almost don't need to clean up the steps (unless you're doing clear parts, then you'll need to polish). Granted you won't be shooting glass filled nylon, but I doubt most pinball parts are. Polypropylene is still much stronger than a 3d printed part.

Granted you can only get maybe a hundred shots or so off a 3d printed mold, it's still about 1/10th the cost of a real steel mold, and is great for proving something out (or running a short run of pinball parts). Plus this is brand new technology, eventually the printers and material will come down in price. If you can design your own mold (which isn't terribly hard if you're not worried about optimizing fast mold time or precision parts), this is not a bad option. Once you have a mold you can throw in a standard sized mold base, there's lots of shops that wouldn't mind running parts while machines aren't in queue (as long as you're not in a rush).
    3d_printed_part[1].jpg3d_printed_part[1].jpg

#14 10 years ago

I have a connex 500 and have used that material. It's about £2000 for 3kg.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

We have a 3D printing store here in Denver. I just sent an email to them asking if a 3D printed part would have the same strength of plastic targets in a pinball. We will see.

No it wont. RP parts are stronger in compression than in shear. Different properties to an injection mold.

#16 10 years ago

There are several people here on pinside that do 3D printing. I'm one of them. I don't have my own printer, because I think a service like Shapeways is a little more cost effective and has much better materials than deposited abs.

So far, their plastic has held up in a few machines. Here is a bracket I did for pinbot.

http://shpws.me/py5J

#17 10 years ago

The cost of 3D printing a material with strong properties is still way to high and not cost effective. Not only that but the time it takes to do one part on a 3D printer vs injection molding is also a factor. Using a 3D printer to make molds and parts to be molded is a great idea !

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from BloodyCactus:

Got my 3d printer setup last night... first test I knocked out a rough Gottlieb drop target. Never used the openscad tool so there are some obvious deficiencies.
    You can see the differences to the eye, but it actually works outside the playfield in the drop target mech. The slot is a bit narrow but.. it does indeed work. Need to clean it up lots more but it was an interesting experiment. The gottlieb is just an empty shell so its light, mine is solid infilled ABS and much heavier. Id say a normal 3/4 bank would have no issue on a reset.. might have to test on a 5 or one of the big 9/10 bank ones...
    anyway. I thought it was interesting (not learning the openscad thing tho ugh). I'll share the STL file once I get it cleaned up and much much closer to the real thing.. right now its a test.
    anyone else 3d printed parts?

20131215_160430.jpg 267 KB

Have you tried a Acetone vapor bath? It will smooth out the layers.

#19 10 years ago

in for updates.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

One interesting thing that's come up in the last 6 months, the new connix 3d printers from stratasys (I'd imagine pricing on the printer alone is $100k) is that it can print a new material that can handle up to 400°F, so that means you can make your own injection molds (yes molds, not molded parts). Also the resolution is so great that you almost don't need to clean up the steps (unless you're doing clear parts, then you'll need to polish). Granted you won't be shooting glass filled nylon, but I doubt most pinball parts are. Polypropylene is still much stronger than a 3d printed part.
    Granted you can only get maybe a hundred shots or so off a 3d printed mold, it's still about 1/10th the cost of a real steel mold, and is great for proving something out (or running a short run of pinball parts). Plus this is brand new technology, eventually the printers and material will come down in price. If you can design your own mold (which isn't terribly hard if you're not worried about optimizing fast mold time or precision parts), this is not a bad option. Once you have a mold you can throw in a standard sized mold base, there's lots of shops that wouldn't mind running parts while machines aren't in queue (as long as you're not in a rush).

» YouTube video

3d_printed_part[1].jpg 44 KB

That's awesome. For a small run that would be really nice to have as an option.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

The cost of 3D printing a material with strong properties is still way to high and not cost effective. Not only that but the time it takes to do one part on a 3D printer vs injection molding is also a factor. Using a 3D printer to make molds and parts to be molded is a great idea !

I think that we are already to the point of make your own ramps out of 3d castings. 3d printing plastics can handle tin alloys and even aluminum. Making a ton of metal parts using castings is pretty easy in comparison to doing it through lost wax.

Making a spoon out of tin alloy

Pewter

If you don't like those metals, send your 3 printed design to companies that do a lot of lost wax work for jewelers. Some companies, I believe will create the wax model themselves if you supply them with a computer model. They are cheap and what they charge is sometimes less than what you would spend on vestment material if you did it yourself, excluding metal cost.

3 years later
    #22 6 years ago

Here is a list of usable (as in reasonably similar in appearance) factory pinball parts on Thingiverse found in a "pinball" search as of 1/15/2018. Not a bad list at all! Many aren't exact replicas but if you want to save money or don't care about the absolute details, this list will be helpful. It's also not all inclusive but covers at least 90% of the good models available.

Gottlieb C13150 Flipper Bat
    Attack From Mars/Revenge from Mars Saucer
    Sega Drop Target
    Data East Drop Target
    Stern Post
    Gottlieb Lamp Cover/Plastic Nut
    Bally/Williams Star Post
    Addams Family Fester Chair
    Williams Plastic Lane Guide
    Bally/Williams Flipper Bat
    Bally/Williams Jet Bumper Parts
    Bally Drop Target
    Bally Playfield Insert
    Cabinet Leg Protector (Large)
    Kickout Saucer
    Light Weight Ball
    Data East Flipper Bat (No Logo)
    Bally/Williams Drop Target 03-8750
    Cabinet Leg Protector
    Bally/Williams Plunger Link
    Data East Autolaunch Solenoid Pad
    Rocky & Bullwinkle Hat Trick Mechanism Arm
    Rocky & Bullwinkle Hat Trick Mechanism Rail Guide
    Molex Pin Extractor Tip
    Spotlight Lamp Reflector & Bracket
    Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball Ramp Protectors
    Stern Spinner Washer
    EM Plunger Parts
    Solenoid Armature Link 03-8085 / 545-5293-00
    Bally EM Chime Box
    Chicago Coin/Hollywood Pinball EM Score Reel Wiper Arm
    Chicago Coin/Hollywood Pinball EM Score Reel EOS Switch Spacer
    Chicago Coin/Hollywood Pinball EM Relay Finger Support Bracket
    Chicago Coin/Hollywood Pinball EM Ball Kicker 464-2514-R
    Bally/Williams Flipper Opto Curtain
    Bally/Williams Flipper Opto Interrupter
    Apron Mount Replacement
    Williams System 7 Corner Bracket
    Millionaire Pinball Roulette Puck
    Fire! Ladder Motor Trapezoid
    Gottlieb Trough Switch Bracket
    Williams Drop Target Catch B-11225 / C-11223-1
    Gottlieb EM Insert
    Williams EM Plunger Housing
    Williams System 11 Flipper Bushing
    Stern Drop Target Rest Ledge 545-6163-01
    Gottlieb Flipper Bat
    Gottlieb Drop Target
    Bally Jeweled Posts
    Allied Leisure PCB Clip
    Bally/Williams Plunger Coil Stop
    Stern Backbox Light Baffle
    Party Zone Dancing Dummy Body
    Williams Outhole Plunger Link 01-4251

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Here is a list of usable (as in reasonably similar in appearance) factory pinball parts on Thingiverse found in a "pinball" search as of 1/15/2018. Not a bad list at all!

Just found out my local library has a digital media lab with 2 printers! Would love to see models for Williams Space Shuttle toy and Pin*Bot vortext ramp (with point values embossed!).

5 years later
    #24 4 months ago

I've been successful using additive manufacturing (FDM & SLA). I've given drop targets to friends and it's been over a year without any issues. I added material at weak areas to improve durability.
    here's a list of some of the parts I've made (there's probably 10 more I haven't added)

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 12.11.10 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-11-30 at 12.11.10 AM (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-pinball-parts?hl=randy_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.