(Topic ID: 265994)

3D printing files for Stern drop-targets?

By Blubberpud

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by vireland
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

Hey, just checking if anyone has 3D (.stl) files for Stern Lightning (1981) drop-targets? I would like to print some replacements.

I found these https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3946135, but not sure if they will work?

#2 9 months ago

Why not just by proper molded ones? 3d print isn't likely to hold up nearly as well

Those bally ones you linked aren't compatible, stern has their own drop target design

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from Blubberpud:

I found these https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3946135, but not sure if they will work?

Nope, those are Bally targets, which are available from pinball parts suppliers anyway.

Bally targets are missing the longer rib and while you can modify the stern target bank to use them, they brick terribly.

The proper hooded targets are available for Sterns, just get those.

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Why not just by proper molded ones? 3d print isn't likely to hold up nearly as well
Those bally ones you linked aren't compatible, stern has their own drop target design

I'm actually having a hard time finding anyplace that has them in stock in Canada, I don't mind paying the $5-6 most sites have them posted for, but one website has them for $15 ea. (reproductions) I can print and re-reprint them if they break for less than 30¢ (there are techniques that can be used to strengthen prints as well).

#5 9 months ago
Quoted from Blubberpud:

I'm actually having a hard time finding anyplace that has them in stock in Canada, I don't mind paying the $5-6 most sites have them posted for, but one website has them for $15 ea. (reproductions) I can print and re-reprint them if they break for less than 30¢ (there are techniques that can be used to strengthen prints as well).

It's not so much that you CAN reprint and replace, but that you'll likely be doing that a LOT. How much is your time and ruined games when it breaks partway through worth?

3D prints were not really made with repeated steel ball impacts in mind, strengthened or not.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 149.00
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 49.95
Playfield - Plastics
MicksPinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside