Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by HHaase
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gear (resized).jpg
    IMG_3931 (resized).JPG
    Space Gun Flyer (resized).jpg
    IMG_3929 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I recently picked up a 1964 Midway Space Gun game and it turns out that a plastic sprocket that drives the main target wheel is damaged beyond repair.

Basically looks like years of use has sheared off the sharp edge that held the sprocket to the key on the end of the shaft that spins the target wheel.
    IMG_3929 (resized).JPGIMG_3929 (resized).JPG

Finding a replacement is probably beyond a needle in a haystack, so I was wondering if I could get a replacement sprocket 3D printed. Was hoping to find a place that could use the original sprocket as a base as I have no experience making the 3D digital files. One key is it would have to be made out of fairly tough plastic as it is connected to a bicycle chain.

Any experience or recommendations? Thanks!

PS - here is the flyer for the gun game
    Space Gun Flyer (resized).jpgSpace Gun Flyer (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

This guy is amazing - https://www.3dhubs.com/service/ara3d

You might find someone in your area on that site also.

#3 7 years ago

Shapeways is a good 3D print service, lots of material options. Add a few Pinsiders here that can draw up.

Do a search of pinball at Shapeways

#4 7 years ago

Does that gear drive a chain? It looks like it from the shape of the teeth.

That was likely made from Nylon, which is a lot tougher than ABS and PLA (what most printers use for material), so I would pick Nylon or a metal for a suitable replacement.

Recreating that in CAD wouldn't be too tough. I would go with Alumide from Shapeways. http://www.shapeways.com/materials/metallic-plastic?li=nav Either that or steel. More expensive, but more durable.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Shapeways is a good 3D print service, lots of material options. Add a few Pinsiders here that can draw up.

Do a search of pinball at Shapeways

Thanks. I will check into them.

Would/could they do the CAD based on my original part? (of course cleaning it up to account for the wear). Pretty sure that is beyond my skill set.

The sprocket does drive a chain and from what I can tell, the target wheel may have gotten caught on the plunger of a fried solenoid and that sheared off the sprocket. Always fun doing detective work on a 50 year old game!
    IMG_3931 (resized).JPGIMG_3931 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

I would tend to stay away from the alumide as it is basically nylon with aluminium flakes and looks nice but weakens the bond for the nylon. I would just go for the nylon material personally as quite robust. Somerimes it is good to have a weak link designed in. Having a metal gear may transfer the weak link to the motor or bracket. Also once designed you could strengthen up in places - check out the Bally ball launch part - standard and modded (strengthened).

I could help if you cover postage but would need a sample to design from

#7 7 years ago

I'd request an SLS printed part made from nylon.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

I'd request an SLS printed part made from nylon.

Thanks. This is all completely new to me, what is an 'SLS printed part'?

The guy that 'Mack505' recommended quoted me $145 for the 3D CAD file if I send him the old part. Not sure if that is high, low or right on, so I'm also trying to check a few other places here locally (St Louis area).

Thanks to all for the input.

Greg

#9 7 years ago

Try Pinballlife, I have had them make several 3D printed parts and it's not too expensive.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3421

#10 7 years ago

SLS and extrusion methods are two very different ways to print. SLS printers cost 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars and extrusions styles are a lot cheaper. Extrusion melts layers of material on top of other layers. SLS uses a laser to sinter (fuse) powders of that material together. The biggest differences are the standard surface finishes, SLS being much better, and that extrusion prints are very weak in the direction of the layers.

Shapeways does SLS, the other linked store looks like an extrusion style makerbot printer. Pinball Life and Mezel Mods do extrusion based printing as well, which is most of the reason why they don't do anything for me as far as wanting them.

#11 7 years ago

Thanks again for all the information. So it looks like Shapeways can print a Nylon sprocket based of a file I would get created and send to them.

In looking at all of this, there seem like tons of options. Given my sprocket (and knowing it would have to be 'cleaned up' to recreate a sharp edge on the slot), what kind of service do I need?

- is it 3D Scanning?
    - if so, I see there are 'Polygon scans', 'Auto Surface' scans, 'Feature Based 3D CAD scans', etc.
    - Basically, trying to figure out what I need help with PRIOR to getting the file printed?

Sorry I'm such a rookie at this, I'm used to rebuilding pop-bumpers and steppers!

Greg

#12 7 years ago

Send me a PM, Might be able to cad that up for you considerably cheaper. Even do an ABS sample to make sure it works before sending to shapeways.

#13 7 years ago

I don't have a great CAD program, but here's what I came up with. Made some rather generous fillets to help with stress relief in case you go with a filament printed part. Also went a LOT thicker around the drive boss. I'll do an ABS sample tomorrow and get it mailed out as I'm sure there will be some tweaks to dimensions.

gear (resized).jpggear (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-company-reccomendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.