score_armV4_(resized).png
score_armV3_(resized).png
score_armV2_d_(resized).png
score_armV2_c_(resized).png
score_armV2_(resized).png
score_armV2_a_(resized).png
score_armV2_b_(resized).png
#1 8 years ago

The score reel arms on my Hollywood are pretty shot.
They have started to split which is making the fingers miss the tracks on the board causing me all sorts of issues.
score_armV2_a_(resized).pngscore_armV2_a_(resized).png

From what I've seen getting replacement arms is virtually impossible, so I've decided to have a go at 3D printing replacement ones.
The one in the photos below is version 3 and I'm finally feeling its close enough to try to fit it to the game.
score_armV2_b_(resized).pngscore_armV2_b_(resized).png

I managed to get brass hollow rivets off ebay and in the next day or two will carefully drill out the old rivets on the original arm so I can use the fingers on the new arm.
score_armV2_d_(resized).pngscore_armV2_d_(resized).png

Once I am happy that everything is good with the part I will make it available to everyone to download and print, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I still need to make a few more tweaks to the part before its ready.

Test fit of it on the score reel
score_armV2_c_(resized).pngscore_armV2_c_(resized).png

Here is a better picture of the part in Sketchup.
score_armV2_(resized).pngscore_armV2_(resized).png

I'll update my progress in the next few days.
I do really love my 3D printer....

#2 8 years ago

I have a cinema i'm cleaning up and finally bought a 3d printer last weekend. This is fantastic!

#4 8 years ago

great job! we may see CC pins make a comeback???

#5 8 years ago

Nearly there.
Printed Version 3 which you can see I was off with my measurements by quite a bit.
score_armV3_(resized).pngscore_armV3_(resized).png

I just printed Version 4 which is nearly there, but I will adjust the rivets holes over another 0.2mm to try and get them exactly over the track.
too late to do any more tonight. I'll hopefully finish it tomorrow night.
score_armV4_(resized).pngscore_armV4_(resized).png

For anyone contemplating this if you decide to drill out the rivets to remove the fingers from the old arm there will be no going back as the rivets are fixed very tightly to the frame and the fingers and to remove them will destroy the old arm.

#6 8 years ago

Awesome! Well done.

--Luke

#7 8 years ago

thats a real good job looks great we need more like this

#8 8 years ago

What kind of plastic are you using? Also, what printer are you using?

--Luke

#9 8 years ago

Love to see this kind of stuff.

#10 8 years ago

I have the feeling that riveting put a lot of pressure on the plastic that could result into cracking after a while. Maybe adding a washer on the back could spread the load better.

Would screwing in the contacts not been easier?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

I have the feeling that riveting puts a lot of pressure on the plastic that could result into cracking after a while. Maybe adding a washer on the back could spread the load better.
Would screwing in the contacts not been easier?

If it's printed correctly it should hold up just fine.

There are a lot of options when you slice a part to print on how it prints the part. The amount of perimeters, the infill %, the infill pattern, the overlap on your perimeters, etc. You also have a choice of what material you use for the print some are stronger than others and more resistant to heat, chemicals, more or less flexible, etc.

#12 8 years ago

This is the future-- amazing.....nice work.

#13 8 years ago

I have designed and printed hundreds of parts on my 3d printer. My experience that if there too much tension on the material (especially with transparent abs) that it could grow cracks around the high pressure points. The print initially fine initally, but a week or so later it cracks.

#14 8 years ago

I printed the part with ABS and used black as I've heard its meant to be stronger due to teh pigments used but I've got no evidence to back that up.
Now I'm hopefully printing the final version and have given it 3 outlines rather than the usual 2 to make the rivet holes stronger and with 85% fill.

Time will remain to be seen if it will last, but the other parts I printed 10 months ago are still going strong.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-hollywood-3d-printed-part

I'll post photos once I'm done

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from tmuir:

Time will remain to be seen if it will last

Considering original replacements are impossible to come by without parting out other machines, I'd say ANY amount of time they last is well worth it. Nice job on the work here!

#16 8 years ago

tmuir, this is fantastic! Thank you for doing this.

#17 8 years ago

Your print will hold up just fine! No worries there

One thing I do when I am trying to replicate a part is put it on a computer scanner and scan the part into a JPG. Then I load the JPG into Sketchup and use that as the base size for my model.

You just have to do some basic dimension checking to make sure the model didn't get skewed or scaled and you are good to go. It's way easier than measuring where holes are and stuff, especially if you have a lot of them.

#18 8 years ago

And you might make your replacement arm with the extra holes like the original to make it useful for more games. Good job by the way!

#19 8 years ago

Finished, its on my machine and hurray I can play the machine again now my score reels zero out.
The new wiper is fitted to the tens reel on the second player but I have not yet tried 2 player games.
My machine was rough when I purchased it and missing the U shaped bracket that holds the coil on one of my score reels, which is the score reel I just fitted the new arm to.
I now need to manufacture a new coil bracket and EOS switch for it and then we can finally have 2 player games.
I was planning on making these parts this weekend, but being it is now going to be over 40C on the weekend which means it would be over 55C (131F) in my workshop it will need to wait until the weather cools.

Here is the new part with the fingers riveted on, you will notice one set of fingers is slightly off centre due to it slightly shifting when I riveted it, but its good enough
score_armV5_(resized).pngscore_armV5_(resized).png

score_armV5b_(resized).pngscore_armV5b_(resized).png

Part is available for download on Thingaverse
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1316469

You will need to use 3/32 inch diameter 1/8 inch length brass hollow rivets with this which can be found on ebay.

Let me know if you use it, but remember there is no going back you will destroy the old arm removing the rivets.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

And you might make your replacement arm with the extra holes like the original to make it useful for more games. Good job by the way!

I was originally going to do this, but do to the limitation of my printer not being able to print lines finer than 0.4mm it gave me issues with the separating line of plastic between the fingers, so I made it to just suit my machine, but I have provided the sketchup files on Thingeaverse so it can be easily adjusted for other machines

#21 8 years ago

I was just repairing a Chicago coin jukebox last night. The reels on those things are what nightmares are made out of. They're so hard to keep in adjustment.

#22 8 years ago

NICE JOB
HOPE TO SEE MORE STUFF LIKE THIS IN THE NEAR FUTURE
TOM

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I was just repairing a Chicago coin jukebox last night. The reels on those things are what nightmares are made out of. They're so hard to keep in adjustment.

I applaud the author for his work, but you are correct. A newer, stronger plastic might be the answer to the old Chicago Coin reels suck problem...or may not work at all. The tolerance of the old reels to work properly is so small. I quit buying or repairing them years ago because of the issue.

#24 8 years ago

Great work tmuir congrats & a terrific thread. Just returned from Perth & not sure how you guys cope with that dry heat!!

6 years later
#25 1 year ago

Hi,

It's been a while since you started this thread. Great work.

Hopefully you can help me out. I'm in need of a bunch of these wipers, but CC made two different sizes. I need the ones for small score reels. Do you have the dimensions of your fingers?

Thank you.

#26 1 year ago

Great work. Great to have this source for my Hollywood.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-chicago-coin-hollywood-score-reel-arm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.